- This event has passed.
20220606 1000 WILLSHIR SOUTH AFRICA TIMELINE
SOUTH AFRICA – EASTERN CAPE – 06 JUN 2022
• MOLTENO – 05 JUN 2022 (21H00) The Molteno Magistrates Court has sentenced 17 Lesotho nationals to three months imprisonment on allegations of contravening the South African Immigration Act. South African Police Services’ Directorate for Priority Crime Investigation (Hawks) Spokesperson Yolisa Mgolodela has stated that the Lesotho nationals were arrested in April 2021 after the suspects failed to present permits upon request by Police officers. The 17 Lesotho nationals recently pleaded guilty to the allegations following several court appearances. The court has since sentenced the suspects to three months imprisonment.
• EAST LONDON – 06 JUN 2022 (06H00) The South African Municipal Workers’ Union (SAMWU) in the Eastern Cape is expected to hold a press conference with alliance partners today, 06 June 2022. The conference will focus on issues affecting workers and service delivery, particularly at the Amathole District Municipality.
• IBHAYI – 06 JUN 2022 (07H15) Protest reported on R75 at Chatty Dip. The demonstrators are protesting due to poor service delivery. The demonstrators have barricaded the road with burning tyres and debris. Motorists are advised to avoid the area and use alternative routes. Police have been dispatched.
SOUTH AFRICA – FREE STATE – 06 JUN 2022
• BLOEMFONTEIN – 05 JUN 2022 (23H50) The Mangaung Metropolitan Municipality has allocated R29,9 million toward road infrastructure repair and maintenance works during the passing of the 2022/2023 budget. This follows as residents have continuously raised concerns regarding poor service delivery, in addition to political instability and financial mismanagement within the Municipality. The Metro has also previously been placed under administration by Cabinet in an attempt to address the matters. Mangaung Metro Mayor Mxolisi Siyonzana has stated that the funding is expected to be utilised to re-gravel roads and fill potholes on affected roads. Siyonzana has noted that the budget is also expected to allow the Metro to expedite the implementation of the road asset management plan following its approval during the budget meeting. The Mayor has noted that priority is expected to be given to the status of public roads, major economic roads and roads leading to social facilities.
SOUTH AFRICA – GAUTENG – 06 JUN 2022
• TSHWANE/ PRETORIA – 05 JUN 2022 (22H00) National Taxi Alliance (NTA) and South African National Taxi Council (SANTACO) are lobbying the Congress of South African Trade Unions (COSATU) and other civic organisations to participate in a national shutdown to oppose the country’s increasing fuel prices. The two taxi associations have stated that the fuel price increases have severely affected the cost of living, in addition to placing significant financial pressure on commuters. This follows after both taxi bodies recently confirmed that fares are set to increase within the following few weeks. COSATU recently released a statement denouncing the Government’s interventions, calling for urgent dialogue with the National Economic Development and Labour Council (Nedlac).
• JOHANNESBURG – 06 JUN 2022 (04H00) Midrand Police have issued an alert to motorists travelling on Allandale Road to remain vigilant of criminals impersonating Police officers operating in the area. Midrand Police Spokesperson Constable Eliot Mabulane has stated that other targeted roads include the N1, New Road, Le Roux Avenue and the R55. This follows several hijacking cases opened at the Midrand Police Station by individuals alleging that Police officers are halting motorists with the intent to rob them of their personal belongings. Residents have mentioned the same modus operandi used by suspects during hijackings in which the criminals use flashing blue lights to halt motorists. Brigadier Molefi Tsotsotso has reportedly tasked an intelligence team to investigate the matter. Motorists are advised to exercise extreme caution when travelling on the affected routes.
• AKASIA – 06 JUN 2022 (06H25) Protest reported on Rosslyn Road/R566 in the vicinity of Bokfontein informal settlement. The demonstrators have barricaded the road with burning tyres and debris. Motorists are advised to use alternative routes. Police have been dispatched.
• SOSHANGUVE – 06 JUN 2022 (08H20) Protest reported in Marikana Tswaying Ward 13 outside Soshanguve. The demonstrators are protesting due to poor service delivery. The demonstrators have barricaded the road with burning tyres and debris. The situation is volatile. Motorists are advised to avoid the area and use alternative routes. Police have been dispatched.
SOUTH AFRICA – KWAZULU-NATAL – 06 JUN 2022
• ESHOWE – 06 JUN 2022 (06H15) Protest reported on the R66 between Eshowe and KwaGingindlovu. The demonstrators are protesting due to poor service delivery. The demonstrators have barricaded the road with burning tyres and debris. Motorists are advised to avoid the area and use alternative routes. Police have been dispatched.
• DURBAN – 06 JUN 2022 (09H05) Protest reported on Point Road. Students are protesting due to unpaid National Student Financial Aid Scheme (NSFAS) allowances. The demonstrators have barricaded the road with stones and debris. Motorists are advised to avoid the area and use alternative routes. Police are on the scene.
• LIONS RIVER – 06 JUN 2022 (09H20) UPDATE Demonstration reported on the R103 near the Tweedie Junction. Motorists are advised to avoid the area. (05H50) Demonstrations reported on the R622 towards Greytown in the vicinity of Bruntville. Motorists are advised to avoid the area and use alternative routes. Police have been dispatched. (06H00) Protest expected on the R103 in the vicinity of Lions River between Howick and Lidgetton today, 06 June 2022, from 06H00. Community members are expected to embark on a protest action to demand improved service delivery in the town. This follows after residents have accused Eskom of disconnecting the power supply to the area. Motorists are advised to use alternative routes during the demonstration. Police are aware of the situation.
SOUTH AFRICA – LIMPOPO – 06 JUN 2022
• POLOKWANE/ PIETERSBURG – 05 JUN 2022 (20H00) African National Congress (ANC) President Cyril Ramaphosa has delivered a closing address at the party’s Limpopo provincial conference at The Ranch resort located outside Polokwane. Stan Mathabatha has reportedly been re-elected as the ANC Chairperson during the conference. Ruben Madadzhe has also been appointed as the provincial Secretary, with Basikopo Makamu as Deputy Secretary. Nakedi Sibanda Kekana has been elected as ANC Limpopo Treasurer. An increased security presence has been reported during the event to ensure the safety of Government officials.
SOUTH AFRICA – MPUMALANGA – 06 JUN 2022
• KRIEL – 06 JUN 2022 (07H50) Protest reported at the Main entrance of Matla Power Station. The demonstrators have barricaded the road with burning tyres and debris. Motorists are advised to avoid the area and use alternative routes. Police have been dispatched.
SOUTH AFRICA – NORTH WEST – 06 JUN 2022
• POTCHEFSTROOM – 06 JUN 2022 (07H10) Protest expected by community members today, 06 June 2022, at the JB Marks Municipality offices. The demonstrators are expected to gather at the park near the Tramonto apartment building from 08H30. The demonstrators are expected to march to the municipal building to demand the Municipal Managers. Motorists are advised to avoid the area and use alternative routes. Police will be deployed to monitor the area.
SOUTH AFRICA – NORTHERN CAPE – 06 JUN 2022
• GARIES – 06 JUN 2022 (09H30) The South African Weather Service (SAWS) has issued a high alert on severe wildfire expected over the Western region of the Namakwa district for today, 06 June 2022. The affected areas would include Kamiesberg /Garies. Nama Khoi/ Springbok, Richtersveld/ Alexanders Bay, Matzikama /Vredendal. Conditions of the Fire Danger Index (FDI) is recorded at above 75 and may develop and spread rapidly, resulting in damage to property and possible loss of human or animal life. Members of the public are advised to remain cautious. Emergency rescue operations are on high alert for possible disruptions in the Namakwa District.
SOUTH AFRICA – WESTERN CAPE – 06 JUN 2022
• CAPE TOWN – 05 JUN 2022 (19H20) Deputy State Security Minister Zizi Kodw has raised concerns regarding the recent increase of mass shooting incidents recorded in Khayelitsha, Cape Flats area. Kodwa made the announcement during the African National Congress (ANC) policy discussion meeting on justice, peace and stability in Khayelitsha. The discussions are expected to influence policy formulation during the party’s elective congress in December 2022. Kodwa has noted that the unrest is likely to negatively affect foreign direct investment in the country.
• CAPE TOWN – 05 JUN 2022 (23H00) The City of Cape Town has issued an alert for an expected water supply interruption expected in the area between Newlands and Cape Town from 09H00 until 12H00 on Monday, 06 June 2022. The service delivery disruption is necessary to allow emergency repairs on a leaking bulk water supply pipeline in Rondebosch. The City has noted that an alternate water supply is expected to be rerouted to the affected areas. The City is expected to issue relevant updates to residents as the situation progresses.
UPCOMING EVENTS – 06 JUN 2022
• CAPE TOWN: The Water and Sanitation Directorate announced a scheduled water supply shutdown in Tokai on Tuesday, 07 June 2022, from 08H00 until 16H00.
• TSHWANE/ PRETORIA: Nationwide shutdown expected on Friday, 10 June 2022. Community leaders are expected to protest against the increase in fuel prices that have a negative effect on living costs.
• THOHOYANDOU: The Economic Freedom Fighter (EFF), Commander in Chief (CIC), Julius Malema, is expected to deliver a keynote address at the Youth Day commemoration on Thursday, 16 June 2022, from 11H00 at the Makwarela Stadium
• JOHANNESBURG: Protest expected by the members of the Forgotten Nation on Thursday, 16 June 2022, at the Hector Peterson Memorial from 10H00.
• KATHU: Protest expected by the Economic Freedom Fighters (EFF) members on Wednesday, 22 June 2022, at the Kumba Iron Ore Mine from 11H00.
• JOHANNESBURG: The Congress of South African Trade Unions (COSATU) is expected to convene a Health Committee meeting on 23 June 2022.
• SOWETO: The Economic Freedom Fighters (EFF) is expected to hold an EFF Freedom Charter Day Rally on Sunday, 26 June 2022, at the Walter Sisulu Square from 11H00.
• BLOEMFONTEIN: The Economic Freedom Fighters (EFF) is expected to celebrate its 9th Anniversary on Saturday, 31 July 2022, at the Dr Molemela Stadium from 11H00. The EFF Commander in Chief (CIC), Julius Malema, is expected to address the EFF members during the celebration.
Website: www.willshir.com – 2022 ©️ Willshir & Associates
Willshir & Associates – Business Intelligence Program (LN)