- This event has passed.
20220607 1000 WILLSHIR SOUTH AFRICA TIMELINE
SOUTH AFRICA – EASTERN CAPE – 07 JUN 2022
• GQEBERHA/ PORT ELIZABETH – 06 JUN 2022 (19H20) Looting reported on the N2 between Woodridge and The Windfarm approaching Port Elizabeth in the vicinity of Uitenhage Farms. A truck has reportedly lost its cargo while driving. Community members from the area and motorists looted several goods during the incident. Authorities have been dispatched to the scene. Motorists are advised to exercise caution when approaching the area.
SOUTH AFRICA – FREE STATE – 07 JUN 2022
• ALLANRIDGE – 07 JUN 2022 (06H35) Premier Sisi Ntombela, and the Members of the Executive Council (MECS) Representatives from the Department of Minerals and Energy and the Department of Transport are expected to hold a meeting with the residents of Riverside and Dilounung today, 07 June 2022, at the Dihwai Primary School Hall from 10H00. This follows several complaints from residents to the Premier during her site visit to the R30 road between Bothaville and Allanridge regarding their houses being waterlogged due to recent heavy and the mining operations in that area.
SOUTH AFRICA – GAUTENG – 07 JUN 2022
• TSHWANE/ PRETORIA – 06 JUN 2022 (20H25) The Minister of Justice and Correctional Services, Ronald Lamola, announced the arrest of Atul and Rajesh Gupta. Lamola stated that the two suspects have been arrested in the United Arab Emirates (UAE) on Saturday, 04 May 2022. Lamola stated that law enforcement agencies in the UAE and South Africa (SA) are in discussion regarding the extradition of the suspects, who are expected to appear in the Free State Magistrates court in September 2022.
• TSHWANE/ PRETORIA – 06 JUN 2022 (21H20) The South African National Taxi Council (SANTACO) has issued a statement rejecting reports that the body has lobbied organisations for a national shutdown in South Africa. SANTACO has further stated that it is also not expected to participate in any possible planned shutdown. However, the Council has called for urgent intervention by the Government to address the increasing fuel prices in the country. This follows recent reports that SANTACO and the National Taxi Alliance (NTA) are lobbying the Congress of South African Trade Unions (COSATU) trade union and other civic groups to participate in a national shutdown against the increasing fuel prices.
• ROODEPLAAT – 06 JUN 2022 (22H05) Motorists are advised to exercise extreme caution when travelling on the R513 approaching Mamelodi Quarries in the vicinity of Roodeplaat. This follows reports indicating that large rocks have been placed on the roadway by unidentified suspects earlier this evening, 06 June 2022. Cullinan Community Policing Forum (CPF) has cautioned motorists to refrain from stopping their vehicles in this area.
• JOHANNESBURG – 06 JUN 2022 (22H00) The African National Congress (ANC) has confirmed that President Cyril Ramaphosa is expected to appear before the party’s Integrity Commission. This follows after the ANC National Working Committee (NWC) recently held a meeting to receive a briefing regarding media reports on criminal charges laid against Ramaphosa by former State Security Agency (SSA) Director-General Arthur Fraser at the Rosebank Police Station. The charges reportedly relate to the alleged theft of $4 million from Ramaphosa’s farm in Limpopo in 2020. The NWC has welcomed the decision by President Ramaphosa to voluntarily present himself to the ANC Integrity Commission in line with ANC policy.
• TSHWANE/ PRETORIA – 06 JUN 2022 (23H00) The National Health Department has confirmed a measles outbreak recorded in the City of Tshwane, Gauteng. The announcement follows the detection of four measles cases in the province during the preceding two weeks. Department Spokesperson Foster Mohale has stated that three of the cases are individuals residing in Tshwane and the fourth case is an individual in the West Rand. Mohale has noted that health authorities in the affected districts and communities are collaborating to identify and conduct vaccinations of contact cases.
• JOHANNESBURG – 07 JUN 2022 (06H05) The Economic Freedom Fighters (EFF) is expected to hold the EFF Press Conference today, 07 June 2022, from 12H00 at the Winnie Madikizela Mandela House. The EFF Commander in Chief (CIC), Julius Malema, is expected to address during the conference.
• TSHWANE/ PRETORIA – 07 JUN 2022 (08H00) Protest reported on Gaigher Street outside the Lion Match Company. Tshwane residents affiliated with Operation Dudula are protesting to demand the company to employ South African Nationals. The demonstrators have blockaded the area. Motorists are advised to avoid the area and use alternative routes. Police have been dispatched.
SOUTH AFRICA – KWAZULU-NATAL – 07 JUN 2022
• DURBAN – 06 JUN 2022 (22H20) KwaZulu-Natal Police have announced that appropriate measures are being implemented in response to calls for a national shutdown of Police Stations on Thursday, 16 June 2022. This follows the emergence of video footage depicting Operation Dudula leader Nhlanhla Lux threatening to close all Police Stations in South Africa on 16 June 2022. Provincial Police Commissioner, Lieutenant General Nhlanhla Mkhwanazi, has condemned the circulation of the video, calling on members of the public to refrain from spreading the footage. Mkhwanazi has further assured the public that the Police will act decisively against any attempts to disrupt services.
• LIONS RIVER – 07 JUN 2022 (07H10) Protest reported on the R103. The demonstrators are protesting due to poor service delivery related to electricity. The demonstrators have barricaded the road with burning tyres and debris. Motorists are advised to avoid the area and use alternative routes. Police have been dispatched.
• QUEENSBURGH – 07 JUN 2022 (07H45) UPDATE Police have dispersed demonstrations. The road has been reopened for traffic flow. The situation remains volatile. Motorists are advised to be vigilant. Police are monitoring the area. (06H40) Protest reported on Link Road. The demonstrators are protesting due to poor service delivery. The demonstrators have barricaded the road with burning tyres and debris. Motorists are advised to avoid the area and use alternative routes. Police have been dispatched.
• PIETERMARITZBURG – 07 JUN 2022 (08H50) Protest reported on Northdale Technical College on Newholme Way. The demonstrators are protesting due to unpaid National Student Financial Aid Scheme (NSFAS) allowances. The demonstrators have barricaded the road with burning tyres and debris. Motorists are advised to avoid the area and use alternative routes. Police have been dispatched.
SOUTH AFRICA – LIMPOPO – 07 JUN 2022
• PHALABORWA – 06 JUN 2022 (20H10) Protest reported on the R71 in the vicinity of the Makhushane Camp in Phalaborwa. Community members under the Ba-Phalaborwa Municipality have barricaded the road in protest against a shortage of employment opportunities, nepotism and corruption. The demonstrators are demanding the disbandment of the current Ba-Phalaborwa Community Forum (BCF) Committee and its sub-structures. Leaders of the group have stated that the protest action will continue until their grievances are met.
• MPHAKANE – 07 JUN 2022 (09H30) Protest reported on the N1 between Polokwane and Louis Trichardt. Taxi operators have blockaded the road. Motorists are advised to avoid the area and use alternative routes. Police are on the scene.
SOUTH AFRICA – MPUMALANGA – 07 JUN 2022
• MBOMBELA/ NELSPRUIT – 06 JUN 2022 (20H30) Health Member of Executive Council (MEC), Sasekani Manzini, is expected to deliver the 2022/23 budget vote for the Mpumalanga Department of Health Vote 10 on Thursday, 09 June 2022 from 09H00 at the Provincial Legislature. The MEC is expected to report on services and programmes on primary health care, infrastructure, emergency medical service, COVID-19 pandemic and the COVID-19 vaccination rollout, Malaria, Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV), Acquired Immunodeficiency Syndrome (AIDS), Tuberculosis (TB), and other health programmes.
• MBOMBELA/ NELSPRUIT – 07 JUN 2022 (09H15) Deputy President David Mabuza, in his capacity as the Chairperson of the Presidential Task Team on Military Veterans, is expected to visit the Ehlanzeni District to engage with the Provincial Government and Military Veterans associations today, 07 June 2022, at the Army Support Base from 10H00. The meeting will provide the necessary platform for the Task Team to assess the progress achieved by both the National and Provincial governments in addressing the Military Veterans’ challenges.
SOUTH AFRICA – NORTH WEST – 07 JUN 2022
• RUSTENBURG – 06 JUN 2022 (19H10) Cash in transit (CIT) robbery reported on the R510 near the Boitekong Mall. Suspects robbed a G4S armoured vehicle of an undisclosed amount of money. The security officials have been fatally shot. Motorists are advised to use alternative routes and avoid the area. Police are on the scene.
SOUTH AFRICA – NORTHERN CAPE – 07 JUN 2022
• KIMBERLEY – 06 JUN 2022 (20H45) The Department of Health has assigned an intervention team from the Provincial Health office to provide support to health facilities in the Frances Baard District. The facilities to receive additional assistance include the Connie Vorster District Hospital, Pampierstad Community Health Centre (CHC), Jan Kempdorp CHC, Warrenton CHC, Sakhile clinic, Galeshewe Day Hospital, Valspan clinic, Professor ZK Matthews District Hospital and Robert Mangaliso Sobukwe Hospital. Member of Executive Council (MEC) for Health Lebogang Majaha stated that 16 sessional nurses will be appointed, and the permanent appointments of 30 nurses and four medical officers will be expedited. In addition, 249 permanent support staff will soon be appointed
SOUTH AFRICA – WESTERN CAPE – 07 JUN 2022
• CAPE TOWN – 06 JUN 2022 (23H35) UPDATE The N2 outbound approaching Spine Road in Khayelitsha has been reopened to traffic following the conclusion of recovery operations. (21H55) Road closure reported on the N2 outbound approaching Spine Road in the vicinity of Khayelitsha, Cape Town. The road has been closed to allow recovery operations following a motor vehicle accident. Motorists are advised to use alternative routes. Emergency response services are on the scene.
• CAPE TOWN – 07 JUN 2022 (06H00) The Water and Sanitation Directorate announced a scheduled water supply shutdown in Tokai today, 07 June 2022, from 08H00 until 16H00. This will enable the sage completion of construction work on the main water supply to the area and will result in the disruption of water supply to the entire Tokai. The work involves cutting into the pipeline to connect the newly installed water main along Beech Street to the existing supply network.
UPCOMING EVENTS – 07 JUN 2022
• TSHWANE/ PRETORIA: Nationwide shutdown expected on Friday, 10 June 2022. Community leaders are expected to protest against the increase in fuel prices that have a negative effect on living costs.
• THOHOYANDOU: The Economic Freedom Fighter (EFF), Commander in Chief (CIC), Julius Malema, is expected to deliver a keynote address at the Youth Day commemoration on Thursday, 16 June 2022, from 11H00 at the Makwarela Stadium
• JOHANNESBURG: Protest expected by the members of the Forgotten Nation on Thursday, 16 June 2022, at the Hector Peterson Memorial from 10H00.
• KATHU: Protest expected by the Economic Freedom Fighters (EFF) members on Wednesday, 22 June 2022, at the Kumba Iron Ore Mine from 11H00.
• JOHANNESBURG: The Congress of South African Trade Unions (COSATU) is expected to convene a Health Committee meeting on 23 June 2022.
• SOWETO: The Economic Freedom Fighters (EFF) is expected to hold an EFF Freedom Charter Day Rally on Sunday, 26 June 2022, at the Walter Sisulu Square from 11H00.
• BLOEMFONTEIN: The Economic Freedom Fighters (EFF) is expected to celebrate its 9th Anniversary on Saturday, 31 July 2022, at the Dr Molemela Stadium from 11H00. The EFF Commander in Chief (CIC), Julius Malema, is expected to address the EFF members during the celebration.
Website: www.willshir.com – 2022 ©️ Willshir & Associates
Willshir & Associates – Business Intelligence Program (LN)