- This event has passed.
20220609 Willshir Africa Timeline (19H00)
20220609 1900 WILLSHIR AFRICA TIMELINE
ANGOLA – 09 JUN 2022
- LUANDA – 08 JUN 2022 (19H30) The European Union (EU) announced plans to send an election observer mission to Angola during the election process on 24 August 2022. Director for Africa at the European External Action Service, Rita Laranjinha, stated that during a previous visit to Angola, where several representatives of main political parties gathered, plans were discussed for the observer mission to ensure a free and transparent election process.
- BELAS – 09 JUN 2022 (09H15) The Civic Education Campaign for the General Elections, which will take place on 24 August 2022, begins today, 09 June 2022, in Luanda. The Spokesperson for the National Electoral Commission (CNE), Lucas Kilundo, has stated that a practical guide for the electoral civic education agent aims to clarify the voters and provide information regarding the electoral process. The campaign will address, in the first phase, general aspects of elections, democracy, citizenship and the necessity to vote. In the second phase, the initiative will focus on information about the location of polling stations and provide allocations of polling stations to the voters, amongst others. Kilundo stated that about 6020 electoral civic education agents would be mobilized throughout the country.
- LUANDA – 09 JUN 2022 (10H15) President of the Republic, João Lourenço, is currently briefing a press conference for public and private media at the Presidential Palace in Luanda. The briefing will focus particularly on the General Elections, slated for 24 August 2022, and the challenges the country is facing, amongst others.
BOTSWANA – 09 JUN 2022
- FRANCISTOWN – 09 JUN 2022 (07H00) Mayor of Francistown, Godisang Radisigo, has been retained as the Francistown Mayor. This comes after the Botswana Democratic Party (BDP) voted for Radisigo by 11 Francistown City Council (FCC) councillors, while Ntshe ward councillor Eric Mabengano received four votes during a legislative caucus on Wednesday, 08 June 2022. During the caucus, Itekeng ward councillor Lesego Kwambala was endorsed as Radisigo’s deputy, replacing Gaethuse Ramolotsana. This comes as Radisigo’s first term as Mayor of Francistown was to end on Friday, 10 June 2022.
DEM. REP. CONGO – 09 JUN 2022
- SAMBA – 09 JUN 2022 (12H15) Six people have died following a landslide at an artisanal mine in the locality of Samba, Bapende sector, 30 Kilometres (KM) northeast of the city of Tshikapa in Kasai province on Tuesday, 07 June 2022. The Provincial Service for Assistance and Supervision of Artisanal Small-Scale Mining (SAEMAPE), Daniel Mukishi, has stated that excavations are ongoing, meanwhile, the six people have been transferred to the nearest hospital for treatment. Mukishi further confirmed that the landslide occurred due to the geological conditions of the soil at the mine.
- BUKAVU – 09 JUN 2022 (12H30) The Provincial Government of South Kivu has prohibited the movement of ships during the period of the evening on Lake Kivu from effect from 08 June 2022, until further notice. The Government has stated that the decision follows the insecurity in the east of the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC). This announcement follows after the Minister of Hydrocarbons, Didier Budimbu, announced the ban on fishing activities in a region of Lake Kivu at Minova, following reports of dead fish in the Lake Kivu. Budimbu has extended the ban on fishing activities for more than a year following a report received by the scientific commission, which was dispatched for further investigations to the Gulf of Kabuno on Lake Kivu.
ESWATINI – 09 JUN 2022
- MBABANE – 09 JUN 2022 (16H50) Finance Minister Neal Rijkenberg announced a working visit from the Ambassador of Georgia, Beka Dvali, to eSwatini. Rijkenberg stated that during the visit, they discussed the Government’s economic development and investment areas and shared Georgia’s comprehensive reform experience in the economy.
ETHIOPIA- 09 JUN 2022
- ADDIS ABABA – 09 JUN 2022 (15H15) The Minister of Mines and Petroleum, Takele Banti, announced a working visit from the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) Nardos Thomas from the New Partnership for Africa’s Development (NEPAD) agency. Thomas stated that during the visit, Banti showed them the Ethiopian Mineral Gallery and the institutional reforms they have been implementing. Thomas further noted that during the visit, they discussed strengthening working relations between the two countries.
GHANA – 09 JUN 2022
- ACCRA – 09 JUN 2022 (14H10) The Deputy Secretary of Commerce, Don Graves, announced that he is expected to visit Ghana on 16 June 2022 for the third meeting of the United States (US) Business Forum and the Ghanaian Government. Graves noted that the meeting is expected to be conducted at the Kempinski Hotel Gold Coast City from 08H30 until 13H00. Graves stated that the US Chamber of Commerce and the American Chamber of Commerce Ghana are also expected to attend the meeting. Graves stated that the forum is aimed at improving diplomatic and commercial partnerships between Ghana and the US for the successful implementation of the African Continental Free Trade Agreement (AfCFTA).
KENYA – 09 JUN 2022
- NAIROBI – 08 JUN 2022 (20H15) President Uhuru Kenyatta announced a working visit from Muhoozi Kainerugaba, the son of Ugandan President Yoweri Museveni, today, 08 June 2022, at the State House in Nairobi. The Presidential Strategic Communication Unit (PSCU) stated that several bilateral and multilateral discussions took place in the interest of Kenya and Uganda.
- ELDORET – 09 JUN 2022 (12H45) The Government has announced the deployment of a Special Police Unit (SPU) in the Kerio valley until 29 June 2022. The SPU has been deployed due to the increased bandit activity in the region. This follows after a regional tour by Interior Cabinet Secretary Fred Matiang’i, Inspector General of Police (IGP) Hillary Mutyambai and others. Additionally, the operation has been established to increase security following the announcement of a 30-day curfew. The SPU is expected to search villages and confiscate weapons. The Government noted that during the curfew, civilians encountered outside of their homes are set to be identified as criminals, excluding essential workers.
LESOTHO – 09 JUN 2022
- MOTHAE – 09 JUN 2022 (14H45) Lucapa Diamond Company has announced that a Value Added Tax (VAT) Amendment Bill is currently under consideration in the Kingdom of Lesotho. Lucapa stated that the approval of the Bill could result in the diamond industry in Lesotho no longer being able to claim or be refunded their input for VAT currently paid on goods, services and capital items for day-to-day operations.
MADAGASCAR – 09 JUN 2022
- AMBATOLAMPY – 08 JUN 2022 (22H20) Colas Madagascar has announced the official launch of the Ambatolampy solar power plant following the conclusion of construction works by Green Energy Solutions (GES), a joint venture between the Malagasy group Axian and GreenYellow energy company. GES funded the project under a seven-year contract signed with Colas Madagascar in 2021. The company has stated that the compact power plant is equipped with 200 photovoltaic (PV) solar panels and other equipment that is connected to a battery storage system housed in two containers. The system is powered by a thermal power plant comprised of diesel generators capable of producing approximately 600 kilowatts (kW).
MALAWI – 09 JUN 2022
- LILONGWE – 08 JUN 2022 (19H05) Ethiopian Airlines has announced the restoration of ticketing services for all travel agents in Malawi from 08 June 2022. This follows after the Airline’s Area Manager for Malawi, Andinet Ayichew, held discussions with Government Authorities. Furthermore, it is expected that relevant stakeholders provided resources for the resumption of ticketing services in Malawi. The Malawian Government is expected to assist the airline in gaining access to foreign currencies.
- LILONGWE – 08 JUN 2022 (20H50) President Lazarus Chakwera announced a working visit from the Minister of State for External Affairs for the Republic of India, responsible for African Affairs, Shri Muraleedharan, tomorrow, 09 June 2022. Chakwera stated he is expected to be accompanied by his Vice President, Saulos Chilima. Chakwera stated that during the meeting, discussions regarding the strengthening of bilateral cooperation between the two countries are expected to be discussed.
- LILONGWE – 09 JUN 2022 (06H05) The Indian Ministry of External Affairs has announced that External and Parliamentary Affairs State Minister (MoS), Shri Muraleedharan, has arrived in the Republic of Malawi on a working visit from Wednesday, 08 June 2022 and Thursday, 09 June 2022. During the visit to Malawi, Muraleedharan is scheduled to meet with the country’s Head of State, Lazarus Chakwera, and engage with the Malawian Foreign Affairs Minister Nancy Tembo on mutual interest and cooperation. Minister Muraleedharan also intends to meet a cross-section of the Indian communities in the country and participate in events commemorating Azadi ka Amrit Mahotsav festivities during the visit.
- LILONGWE – 09 JUN 2022 (06H10) President Lazarus Chakwera is expected to officiate the 2022 Malawi Agriculture, Productivity and Commercialization Conference (MAPCC), from today, 09 June 2022 and Friday, 10 June 2022. The meeting is set to be held at the Bingu International Convention Centre (BICC) from 09H30. The meetings are set to comprise stakeholders in the agricultural sector, including Governmental organizations, farmer’s organizations, Investors, Entrepreneurs and others. During the conference, members are set to focus on establishing economic self-reliance.
MOZAMBIQUE – 09 JUN 2022
- MAPUTO – 08 JUN 2022 (20H10) Transitex announced the opening of their new operational office in New Delhi. Transitex stated that with the opening of their new office in New Delhi, they aim to strengthen the exchange of goods and products between Mozambique and the Asian country. Transitex stated that with the new relationship expected to begin between the two countries, Mozambique is expected to experience an increase in the country’s exports.
- NAMPULA – 08 JUN 2022 (21H00) Public transport operators under the Association of Road Transporters of Nampula (ASTRA) have embarked on an industrial strike movement in demand of a tariff readjustment in the transport sector. Nampula Secretary of State Metty Gondola has stated that the transport operators, locally known as chapas, have suspended all activities, demanding that tariffs be increased from MT10 to MT15. Gondola has noted that a document containing the demands has been delivered to the Nampula Municipal Assembly for consideration. Discussions are reportedly also underway between representatives of ASTRA and the Municipal Council regarding the matter.
- NANDULI – 08 JUN 2022 (23H30) Cabo Delgado Governor Valige Tauabo has requested members of the population displaced by a recent terrorist attack in the village of Nanduli, Ancuabe district, to return to the area following an improvement in the security situation and a return to public order. This follows after Islamic State (IS) Mozambique media claimed responsibility for an attack in the village on 05 June 2022, during which at least seven fatalities had been confirmed. Tauabo has stated that Defence and Security Forces (FDS) troops have since been deployed to strategic security locations within the village and surrounding areas to ensure stability.
- BALAMA – 09 JUN 2022 (14H00) Syrah Resources (SYR) has suspended the movement of personnel and logistics in one of its transport routes from its Balama project. This follows due to safety precautions after SYR received reports of two insurgent attacks near the transport route. The attacks occurred approximately 30 and 40 kilometres (km) from the N1 road between Balama, Nacala and Pemba. SYRs mining and processing operations have not been affected. SYR has contacted the Government, security officials and other stakeholders to determine when they can resume movement operations.
NIGERIA – 09 JUN 2022
- ABUJA – 08 JUN 2022 (23H00) Nigeria’s ruling All Progressives Congress (APC) party has announced the election of former Lagos State Governor Bola Tinubu as the party’s candidate to run for President in the country’s upcoming elections scheduled for February 2023. President Muhammadu Buhari is expected to step down from the position after being in office for the preceding eight years. This follows after Tinubu received 1,271 APC delegates’ votes during the APC primaries, over 316 votes received by his rival. Tinubu’s primary opponent is expected to be the People’s Democratic Party (PDP) candidate Atiku Abubakar, appointed as Vice President from 1999 to 2007 under former President Olusegun Obasanjo.
- ABEOKUTA – 09 JUN 2022 (07H30) Members and supporters of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) in Ado/Odo-Ota have held a protest against the alleged imposition of a candidate for Ado/Odo-Ota Federal Constituency. The protestors allegedly held captive the party secretariat in Abeokuta on 08 June 2022 and raised their grievances over the appointment of Mustapha Adekunle, who had been submitted to the national headquarters as the candidate. Deputy State Chairman and former lawmaker Leye Odunjo, who led the protest, stated that the submission was unlawful as there were no primary elections held. Meanwhile, State Chairman Sikirullai Ogundele has urged the protestors to hold a petition to the national chairman. This comes as the protestors held demonstrations since May 2022.
- BENIN CITY – 09 JUN 2022 (08H30) The Edo State Government has suspended all union activities in all state-owned institutions of higher learning. This follows after the State Executive Council held a meeting following a protest by students of Ambrose Alli University (AAU) over the ongoing strike by the Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU). The Secretary to the State Government, Osarodion Ogie Esq, has stated that the affected unions include ASUU, Non-Academic Staff of Universities (NASU), Senior Staff Association of Nigeria Universities (SSANU), Academic Staff Union of Polytechnics (ASUP), Non-Academic Staff Union of Polytechnics and all allied unions in state-owned tertiary institutions. Esq further stated that academic activities are to resume in all state-owned institutions, and staff members are directed to report to their duty immediately.
- KWARI – 09 JUN 2022 (13H00) Local sources from the Kwari village in the Jibiya Local Government Area of Katsina have confirmed the abduction of over 80 people by unidentified bandits who attacked the community on Wednesday, 08 June 2022. The bandits allegedly carried out an attack in the community and set alight several residences and stores while shooting sporadically in the community. Meanwhile, over 2,000 community members have fled the area and sought refuge at a primary school in Jibiya town.
- AGEGE – 09 JUN 2022 (13H40) The Shell Public Limited Company (PLC) announced that they are expected to receive two offers for the sale of 30% shares of the onshore oil and gas fields in Nigeria. Shell PLC stated that the bids are due to be submitted by 10 June 2022. Shell PLC further stated that Heirs Oil and Gas Limited (Ltd) and ND Western Ltd are the two companies expected to bid for the 30% Shell PLC shares.
- ABUJA – 09 JUN 2022 (14H25) Minister of Information, Lai Mohammed, announced that President Muhammadu Buhari is expected to address the Nation on 12 June 2022 at 15H00. Mohammed stated that the President’s message is regarding the celebration of Democracy Day in Nigeria. Mohammed further noted that the celebration of democracy day is expected to be held at the Eagle Square in Abuja on Monday, 13 June 2022.
- KANO – 09 JUN 2022 (14H45) The Command’s Public Relations Officer (PPRO) Superintendent of Police (SP) Abdullahi Haruna Kiyawa has confirmed the arrest of two suspects who had been imitating soldiers following an intelligence-driven search operation. This follows after the suspects had used soldiers’ uniforms and other military identifications to rob and extort civilians. The Police received intelligence from Joseph Usalo of Kofar Ruwa Market. Usalo issued a complaint noting that Miracle Nnamoko and his accomplice, in Military attire, intimidated and forced Usalo to transfer N20,000 into Miracles’ account and N35,000 into the account of Chidera Anuna. The arrest of Nnamoko followed after the Police established an intelligence-driven surveillance operation in the area. Chidera Anuna has been arrested by 455 Base Services Group Nigerian Air Force (NAF) personnel and transferred to the Police. The PPRO stated that the suspects are expected to be charged to court following their investigations.
RWANDA – 09 JUN 2022
- KIGALI – 08 JUN 2022 (19H00) Governor Rwangombwa John announced a virtual meeting with the Governor of Ghana, Ernest Addison. John stated that during the virtual meeting, they virtually signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) and cooperation agreement on behalf of the Central Bank of Rwanda and The Bank of Ghana. John further stated that key focus areas of cooperation include banking supervision, financial monitoring and knowledge of agricultural financing.
TANZANIA – 09 JUN 2022
- DAR ES SALAAM – 09 JUN 2022 (06H00) Tanzania Electric Supply Company Limited (TANESCO) has announced a planned service disruption scheduled to take place today, 09 June 2022, for the prepaid purchase of services, known as Luku. TANESCO noted that the purchasing of electricity services will undergo maintenance in the locality to improve electricity purchasing at the recovery centre from approximately 00H00 until 02H00. Further, the public is expected to be unable to purchase electricity through mobile money services, banks or TANESCO sales agents. Members of the public are advised to purchase power ahead of the disruption.
ZAMBIA – 09 JUN 2022
- LUSAKA – 09 JUN 2022 (15H45) The Zambian Police Services (ZPS) announced the establishment of a search operation in the Lilanda Township. The operation has been established to investigate the detonation of a tear gas canister at the Police guarded Lusaka Water and Sanitation Company (LWSC) offices. This follows after several pupils were affected by the detonation at approximately 10H30. The pupils had been transferred to the George Clinic and Matero Level one Hospital. Preliminary investigations indicate that the canister has detonated due to mechanical issues. The Police have opened an inquiry file to establish the actual cause of the incident.
ZIMBABWE – 09 JUN 2022
- HWANGE – 09 JUN 2022 (01H15) Makomo Resources Limited, Zimbabwe’s largest coal mining company in terms of capacity, has announced the resumption of operations. The resumption follows concerns regarding a shortage of fuel to power the expanded Hwange Thermal Power plant. Makomo had previously been placed under corporate rescue due to operational challenges. The company is among the major suppliers of coal to the Hwange plant, in addition to Hwange Colliery Company and Zambezi Gas.
UPCOMING EVENTS – 09 JUN 2022
- ZAMBIA: Proflight Zambia is expected to increase the frequency of its direct service from Ndola to Mansa from 13 June 2022.
- NIGERIA: Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) has announced that the Ekiti state local elections are expected to be held on 18 June 2022.
- RWANDA: Rwandan President Paul Kagame and Commonwealth Secretary-General Patricia Scotland have announced the week of 20 June 2022 as the date for the Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting (CHOGM) to be held in Kigali, Rwanda.
- BOTSWANA: The Botswana Investment and Trade Centre (BITC), in collaboration with the Department of Trade and Industry of the Republic of South Africa (RSA), will host an Investment and Trade Conference, Business to Business (B2B) meetings and an expo between Botswana companies and their counterparts from RSA in Gaborone, Botswana on 21 June 2022 and 22 June 2022.
- MALAWI: President Lazarus Chakwera is expected to address Malawians on the second anniversary of his election, 23 June 2022.
- ZIMBABWE: Protest expected nationwide by teachers under the Federation of Zimbabwe Educators Union (Fozeu) on 27 June 2022.
- NIGERIA: Protest expected by the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB) on Tuesday, 28 June 2022, at the Federal High Court of Abuja.
- ESWATINI: The Multi-Stakeholder Forum (MSF) is expected to deliver a petition to Prime Minister (PM) Cleopas Dlamini on 29 June 2022.
- MALAWI: Electricity Generation Company Malawi Limited (EGENCO) has announced that they are expected to commence reconstruction works for the Kapichira power station in July 2022.
- NIGERIA: Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) has announced that the Osun State local elections are expected to be held on 16 July 2022.
- ZAMBIA: Zambian Minister of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation, Stanley Kakubo, has announced that Zambia is expected to host the 4th Africa Union (AU) Mid-Year Coordinating meeting from 14 July 2022 until 17 July 2022.
- KENYA: Kenya’s Independent Electoral and Boundaries Commission (IEBC) has announced that general elections are scheduled to be held on 09 August 2022.
- ANGOLA: Angolan President João Lourenço has declared Wednesday, 24 August 2022, as the date for the fifth general elections to be conducted in the country.
- RWANDA: Rwanda is scheduled to host the African Green Revolution Forum (AGRF) from 05 September 2022 until 09 September 2022.
- LESOTHO: The Kingdom of Lesotho is scheduled to conduct general elections in October 2022 to elect 120 seats of the National Assembly, the lower house of Parliament.
- ANGOLA: Energy Capital and Power (ECP) has announced that the 2022 Edition of Angola Oil and Gas (AOG) is expected to be held from 29 November 2022 until 01 December 2022.
- RWANDA: The Africa Centres for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) is expected to host the second Annual International Conference on Public Health in Africa (CPHIA 2022) between 13 December 2022 and 15 December 2022 in Kigali, Rwanda.
- NIGERIA: The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) has announced that Nigeria is expected to conduct elections on 25 February 2023 and 11 March 2023.
- NIGERIA: The Federal Ministry of Petroleum Resources has announced plans for the Sixth Edition of Nigeria’s International Energy Summit (NIES 2023) in Abuja from 16 April 2023 until 20 April 2023.
- MOZAMBIQUE: Mozambique’s National Elections Commission (CNE) has approved a proposal that schedules 11 October 2023 as the date for the sixth municipal elections across the country.