- This event has passed.
20220613 Willshir Africa Timeline (19H00)
ANGOLA – 13 JUN 2022
- LUANDA – 13 JUN 2022 (15H35) President Joao Lourenco announced the reception of Tariq Ali Faraj Al Ansari’s credentials as the Ambassador of Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary of the State of Qatar (non-resident) to the Republic of Angola. Lourenco stated that during the handing over of credentials, they discussed future progress and development between the two countries.
BOTSWANA – 13 JUN 2022
- GABORONE – 13 JUN 2022 (11H40) The Independent Electoral Commission (IEC) Public Relations Officer, Osupile Maroba, announced that the new Delimitation Commission Secretariat is expected to be sworn in today, 13 June 2022, at 14H30 at the Gaborone High Court. Maroba stated that the Delimitation Commission will commence operations after the swearing-in of members of the Secretariat.
DEM. REP. CONGO – 13 JUN 2022
- BUNAGANA – 13 JUN 2022 (06H30) The Armed Forces of the Democratic Republic of Congo (FARDC) has repelled an attack by the March 23 Movement (M23) rebels on Sunday, 12 June 2022, at the Bigega 1 and 2 near Bunagana, Premidis and Bugusa. According to the FARDC, the rebels allegedly attempted to seize the city of Bunagana. The Congolese army has also reported the death of the Security Officer of General-Major, Eric Kiraku Mwisa and the Commander of the Operational Sector SUKOLA 2 North-Kivu, Cirimwami Peter, following the clashes. In addition, the FARDC had been supported by air fire support from the United Nations Organization Stabilization Mission in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (MONUSCO) during the operations.
ESWATINI – 13 JUN 2022
- MBABANE – 13 JUN 2022 (01H50) eSwatini Electricity Company (EEC) has announced a planned power disruption scheduled to take place on 14 June 2022. The disruption is set between 08H30 and 16H00. The affected areas include Madlangempisi, Siteki, Manzini, Matsapha, Sithobela, Mhlume, Pigg’s Peak, Elangeni, Hluti, Big Bend and Stonehenge. The disruption follows due to maintenance, transformer relocations, pole plantations and others. Updates will be provided to the public as the situation progresses.
- MPOLONJENI – 13 JUN 2022 (11H20) The New Life Christian Academy in Mpolonjeni has reportedly been set alight by unidentified suspects today, 13 June 2022. Reports indicate that six classrooms have been damaged due to the fire. Preliminary investigations are ongoing. Police officers are on the scene.
ETHIOPIA- 13 JUN 2022
- ADDIS ABABA – 13 JUN 2022 (15H15) Finance Minister Ahmed Shide announced a working visit from the Italian Minister of Foreign Affairs, Luigi Di Mayo, today, 13 June 2022. Shide stated that during the meeting, they signed a loan agreement of €22 million for integrated agro-processing industrial parks. Shide further noted that the loan agreement would strengthen the economic cooperation between the two countries.
GHANA – 13 JUN 2022
- ACCRA – 13 JUN 2022 (11H45) Tullow Ghana has announced the discovery of a new gas reserve offshore Cape Three Point in the Western Region. Tullow stated that the new gas reserve is estimated to hold between 1,5 and two trillion cubic feet (TCF) of hydrocarbons. Managing Director of Tullow Ghana Limited, Wissam Al-Monthiry, stated that the gas reserve is located within the Tweneboa, Enyenra, Ntomme (TEN) and Jubilee fields. Al-Monthiry stated that they do not have the right to drill it yet as per their petroleum agreement, but the gas reserve lies within the TEN and Jubilee region, and revision of the agreement is needed to commence operations on the reserve.
KENYA – 13 JUN 2022
- NAIROBI – 13 JUN 2022 (14H50) The Kenya Biovax Institute has announced the Appointment of Michael Lusiola as the Substantive Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of the board. Biovax stated that Luisola will replace Rabera Kenyanya, who has been the acting CEO and Director General since December 2021. Lusiola is expected to enter office at the end of June 2022.
LESOTHO – 13 JUN 2022
- MASERU – 13 JUN 2022 (14H35) The Government of Lesotho has announced the appointment of Maluke Letete as Governor and Chairman of the Board of Directors and Lehlomela Mohapi as the first deputy for the Central Bank of Lesotho (CBL). The Government stated that Letete sat on the board of directors for five years as a non-executive director. Therefore, making him the best suitable candidate for the position.
MADAGASCAR – 13 JUN 2022
- ANTANANARIVO – 13 JUN 2022 (10H30) The former Senate President, Rivo Rakotovao, is expected to appear before the Bureau of Independent Anti-Corruption (BIANCO) in Antananarivo today, 13 June 2022. The Director of Investigation of Bianco has released a statement noting that Rakotovao has been summoned for being involved in a corruption case related to embezzlement of public funds and abuse of office committed by some officials at the Senate level in 2019. In addition, the New Forces for Madagascar (HVM) political party has called on supporters of the party to mobilize in support of Rakotovao.
MALAWI – 13 JUN 2022
- LILONGWE – 13 JUN 2022 (13H15) The National health authorities have dismissed reports over a suspected case of monkeypox in the country. This follows after the Chiradzulu district health officials reported a possibility of monkeypox. However, medical tests were conducted and were reported negative. The Secretary for Health, Charles Mwansambo, stated that the suspected case was false and presented signs of the condition, a medical analysis reported as varicella disease.
MOZAMBIQUE – 13 JUN 2022
- BALAMA – 13 JUN 2022 (09H15) Syrah Resources and Triton, two Australian companies operating graphite mines in the northern Mozambican province of Cabo Delgado, have suspended travelling in the area of operations following an attack in the Ancuabe district on Saturday, 11 June 2022. In addition, the shares of Syrah Resources devalued at 15%. Prior to the incidents, there had been a significant deployment of security in the Cabo Delgado province. Syrah further stated that precautionary measures were taken due to the insecurity along the main transport route between the ports of Nacala and Pemba. The company also released a statement noting that the company will continue to brief the stock exchange on the security situation and impacts on Balama operations. Meanwhile, Triton, which is developing a graphite project in Ancuabe, issued a statement noting the suspension of trading on the Australian stock exchange.
- MAPUTO – 13 JUN 2022 (09H30) The United States (US) Under Secretary of State for Political Affairs Victoria Nuland is expected to conduct a three-nation visit to Djibouti, Mozambique, and Nigeria, scheduled from 11 June 2022 to 17 June 2022. According to a statement released, Nuland and an interagency team will meet with Djibouti Government counterparts to hold a meeting to strengthen the US-Djibouti relations and security cooperation. In Mozambique, Nuland will meet with Government and civil society members and discuss bilateral and regional issues, including opportunities to advance stability and economic recovery in conflict-affected areas in support of our new partnership under the US Strategy to Prevent Conflict and Promote Stability. In Nigeria, Nuland will meet with Government and civil society representatives to discuss issues of shared concern, including regional security, free and fair elections, and business innovation.
- METORO – 13 JUN 2022 (10H00) The Metoro Solar Power Station has suspended operations in Metoro, Ancuabe District, Cabo Delgado, following attacks by the Islamist insurgents. A Portuguese company, Efacec, released an alert to level 06 and announced the decision to evacuate all workers, including guards, due to the recent attacks. Meanwhile, the defence and security forces have been deployed to the area. The Metoro Solar Power Plant is a partnership between the French renewable energy company, Neon and Electricidade de Moçambique. Efacec is responsible for the engineering, procurement, construction, operation and maintenance of the 41 MegaWatts (MW) plant.
NIGERIA – 13 JUN 2022
- OSOGBO – 13 JUN 2022 (02H55) The Osun State has announced increased security measures to be established in the vicinity of worship centres. The security has been increased due to the increasing attack incidents on worshipping centres in the area. The announcement followed a meeting of the Osun State Executives of the Christian Association of Nigeria (CAN). The leadership of churches will establish ten security measures, including setting up a security committee, disallowing baggage in the church auditorium, constructing metal doors, installing CCTV cameras around the church, and others. The security measures are set to decrease the number of attacks on worshipping centres in the Osun State.
- PASERE – 13 JUN 2022 (06H00) The Federal Government is scheduled to engage with the representatives of unions affiliated with the Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU) today, 13 June 2022. The Joint Action Committee of the Senior Staff Association of Nigerian Universities (SSANU) and the Non-Academic Staff Union of Educational and Associated Institutions (NASU) will meet on Friday, 17 June 2022. This follows after the SSANU commenced its strike warning of two weeks from 27 March 2021, while the extension of another two weeks commenced on 10 April 2022 and is still ongoing. Meanwhile, ASUU commenced its ongoing strike on 14 February 2022, after the Federal Government failed to meet their demands, including the release of revitalisation funds for universities, renegotiation of the 2009 Government of Nigeria (FGN)/ASUU agreement, the release of earned allowances for university lecturers, and deployment of the University Transparency and Accountability Solution.
- BAKURA – 13 JUN 2022 (12H30) Armed clashes reported on the Sokoto-Zamfara expressway along the Lambar Bakura axis. Unidentified armed men are engaged in an exchange of fire with security forces. Members of the public are advised to avoid the area. The situation remains volatile.
RWANDA – 13 JUN 2022
- KIGALI – 13 JUN 2022 (17H20) Minister of Defence Albert Murasira announced a working visit from Shelly Whitman, the Executive Director of the Dellaire Institute for Children, Peace and Security, today, 13 June 2022. Murasira stated that during the meeting, they renewed a five-year Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) to prevent the recruitment and use of child soldiers in Africa and around the globe.
TANZANIA – 13 JUN 2022
- DODOMA – 13 JUN 2022 (07H15) Tanzania has signed a framework agreement with Norway’s Equinor and Britain’s Shell to construct a $30-billion project to export liquefied natural gas (LNG) in the southern coastal town of Lindi. Energy Minister January Makamba has stated that the project will boost Tanzania’s efforts to launch the export of part of the vast gas deposits off its coast, estimated at more than 1,630 billion cubic metres. President Samia Suluhu Hassan, who participated in the signing ceremony in Dodoma, has further welcomed the preliminary agreement.
- DODOMA – 13 JUN 2022 (13H05) The President of Tanzania, Samia Hassan, announced a working visit from the Minister of Foreign Affairs of Oman, Sayyid Busaidi, today, 13 June 2022. Hassan stated that during the visit, six Memorandum of Understandings (MoU) have been signed, covering the fields of energy, natural resources, higher education and training, and national museums. Hassan further noted that a tripartite memorandum between the Oman Chamber of Commerce, Tanzania Chamber of Commerce and Zanzibar Chamber of Commerce has been signed.
ZAMBIA – 13 JUN 2022
- LUSAKA – 13 JUN 2022 (04H55) The Zambian Police Services (ZPS) has announced the establishment of a search operation in the vicinity of Lusaka. The operation followed after a burglary incident that occurred on 09 June 2022 at 09H00. During the incident, suspects confiscated goods valued at K38,000 from three vehicles at the Zambia Institute of Advanced Legal Education (ZIALE). The suspects confiscated three laptops, five cellphones and K350, among other goods. Reports indicate that an unknown instrument has been used to open the car doors. The ZPS has requested the public to provide any information leading to the apprehension of the suspects.
ZIMBABWE – 13 JUN 2022
- HARARE – 13 JUN 2022 (02H30) The Zimbabwe Republic Police (ZRP) announced the launch of a search operation in the vicinity of Harare. This follows after the discovery of a body near the Heany Road in Crowborough on 09 June 2022 at approximately 19H00. The ZRP has requested the public to provide any information leading to the apprehension of the suspect.
UPCOMING EVENTS – 13 JUN 2022
- NIGERIA: Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) has announced that the Ekiti state local elections are expected to be held on 18 June 2022.
- RWANDA: Rwandan President Paul Kagame and Commonwealth Secretary-General Patricia Scotland have announced the week of 20 June 2022 as the date for the Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting (CHOGM) to be held in Kigali, Rwanda.
- BOTSWANA: The Botswana Investment and Trade Centre (BITC), in collaboration with the Department of Trade and Industry of the Republic of South Africa (RSA), will host an Investment and Trade Conference, Business to Business (B2B) meetings and an expo between Botswana companies and their counterparts from RSA in Gaborone, Botswana on 21 June 2022 and 22 June 2022.
- MALAWI: President Lazarus Chakwera is expected to address Malawians on the second anniversary of his election, 23 June 2022.
- ZIMBABWE: Protest expected nationwide by teachers under the Federation of Zimbabwe Educators Union (Fozeu) on 27 June 2022.
- NIGERIA: Protest expected by the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB) on Tuesday, 28 June 2022, at the Federal High Court of Abuja.
- ESWATINI: The Multi-Stakeholder Forum (MSF) is expected to deliver a petition to Prime Minister (PM) Cleopas Dlamini on 29 June 2022.
- MALAWI: Electricity Generation Company Malawi Limited (EGENCO) has announced that they are expected to commence reconstruction works for the Kapichira power station in July 2022.
- NIGERIA: Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) has announced that the Osun State local elections are expected to be held on 16 July 2022.
- ZAMBIA: Zambian Minister of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation, Stanley Kakubo, has announced that Zambia is expected to host the 4th Africa Union (AU) Mid-Year Coordinating meeting from 14 July 2022 until 17 July 2022.
- KENYA: Kenya’s Independent Electoral and Boundaries Commission (IEBC) has announced that general elections are scheduled to be held on 09 August 2022.
- ANGOLA: Angolan President João Lourenço has declared Wednesday, 24 August 2022, as the date for the fifth general elections to be conducted in the country.
- RWANDA: Rwanda is scheduled to host the African Green Revolution Forum (AGRF) from 05 September 2022 until 09 September 2022.
- LESOTHO: The Kingdom of Lesotho is scheduled to conduct general elections in October 2022 to elect 120 seats of the National Assembly, the lower house of Parliament.
- ANGOLA: Energy Capital and Power (ECP) has announced that the 2022 Edition of Angola Oil and Gas (AOG) is expected to be held from 29 November 2022 until 01 December 2022.
- RWANDA: The Africa Centres for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) is expected to host the second Annual International Conference on Public Health in Africa (CPHIA 2022) between 13 December 2022 and 15 December 2022 in Kigali, Rwanda.
- NIGERIA: The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) has announced that Nigeria is expected to conduct elections on 25 February 2023 and 11 March 2023.
- NIGERIA: The Federal Ministry of Petroleum Resources has announced plans for the Sixth Edition of Nigeria’s International Energy Summit (NIES 2023) in Abuja from 16 April 2023 until 20 April 2023.
- MOZAMBIQUE: Mozambique’s National Elections Commission (CNE) has approved a proposal that schedules 11 October 2023 as the date for the sixth municipal elections across the country.