- This event has passed.
20220621 1000 WILLSHIR SOUTH AFRICA TIMELINE
SOUTH AFRICA – EASTERN CAPE – 21 JUN 2022
• COFIMVABA – 20 JUN 2022 (23H00) The South African Human Rights Commission (SAHRC) is expected to visit the Qhumanco village in Cofimvaba following reports of unrest between South African nationals and foreigners in the area. The SAHRC has released a statement noting reports of violence resulting in multiple deaths in the area. Reports have also indicated allegations of xenophobia emanating from criminal conduct and distrust between community members. The Commission’s Eastern Cape provincial office is scheduled to visit the area tomorrow, 21 June 2022, to assess community concerns and engage relevant stakeholders on the matter.
• FLAGSTAFF – 21 JUN 2022 (06H25) President Cyril Ramaphosa is expected to deliver the eulogy at the funeral service of the late King of amaMpondo, Zanozuko Tyelovuyo Sigcau, in Flagstaff today, 21 June 2022. The service will commence from 10H00. The President has accorded the King of amaMpondo a special official funeral Category 1. Sigcau was inaugurated as a King of the amaMpondo nation in 2018.
SOUTH AFRICA – FREE STATE – 21 JUN 2022
• PARYS – 21 JUN 2022 (07H05) Premier Sisi Ntombela is expected to officiate the handover of the newly built Parys clinic today, 21 June 2022, from 08H00 at the Open grounds next to Phehellang Secondary School. Ntombela will also hand over four emergency services vehicles to Ngwathe Local Municipality under the stewardship of Executive Mayor Victoria De Beer.
SOUTH AFRICA – GAUTENG – 21 JUN 2022
• RANDFONTEIN – 20 JUN 2022 (19H25) Cash in transit (CIT) robbery reported on the R28 approaching Mohlakeng, Randfontein, west of Johannesburg. Reports indicate that an unknown number of armed suspects have bombed a CIT armoured vehicle (AV). The driver of the AV has sustained fatal gunshot injuries and was declared deceased on the scene upon the arrival of emergency personnel. The suspects have fled the scene with an undisclosed amount of money. Police and other authorities are on the scene. Motorists are advised to avoid the area.
• TSHWANE/ PRETORIA – 20 JUN 2022 (20H00) The Tshwane University of Technology (TUT) stated that it held a meeting with the City of Tshwane and students to resolve student challenges. This follows after students held a protest this morning, 20 June 2022, over the lack of water and electricity in their residences. Students at the Pretoria west campus barricade the entrances to students’ accommodation facilities with burning objects. The protest has been ongoing since Sunday night, 19 June 2022.
• JOHANNESBURG – 21 JUN 2022 (06H15) Protest expected by the members affiliated with the South African National Civic Organization (SANCO) today, 21 June 2022, at the Basic Education Department and the Office of the Premier. SANCO members are expected to protest over allegations that scholar transport drivers from other provinces have been granted tenders to operate in Gauteng, leaving operators in the province unemployed. The demonstrators are expected to deliver a memorandum at Premier David Makhura’s office and proceed to the Member of the Executive Council (MEC) for Panyaza Lesufi’s office. Motorists are advised to avoid the area and use alternative routes. Police will be deployed to monitor the area.
• JOHANNESBURG – 21 JUN 2022 (09H20) UPDATE Demonstrations reported outside Maponya Mall ahead of the motorcade to Parktown at the Peter Rose Park. (07H30) Residents of Protea South are marching Chris Hani Road to Maponya Mall ahead of their march to the Mayor’s office. The demonstrators have obstructed the road with stones and debris. Motorists are advised to avoid the area. Police are on the scene. (06H00) Protest expected at the City of Johannesburg Mayor’s Office in Braamfontein, Johannesburg today, 21 June 2022. Demonstrators under the aegis of Soweto Parliament and the Pimville/ Klipspruit Community Forum are expected to conduct a motorcade and march protest to demand improved service delivery and the removal of informal settlements. The motorcade is expected to be held from the Maponye Mall parking area at the main entrance to the Peter Ross Park on Empire Road. Thereafter, demonstrators are set to march from Peter Ross Park to the Mayor’s Office in Braamfontein. Participants are expected to deliver petitions to City of Johannesburg Mayor Mpho Phalatse during the march’s conclusion. Motorists and members of the public are advised of potential ground travel disruptions on affected routes during the demonstration. Authorities are expected to be deployed to monitor the protest.
SOUTH AFRICA – KWAZULU-NATAL – 21 JUN 2022
• DURBAN – 21 JUN 2022 (06H05) The African National Congress (ANC) in the province is expected to hold a media brief today, 21 June 2022, from 11H00 at the ANC Provincial offices. The media brief is expected to be held to outline the outcomes of the recent Provincial Executive Committee and provide an update on preparations for the upcoming Provincial elective conference, scheduled to take place in July 2022.
• ASHBURTON – 21 JUN 2022 (06H20) Road closure expected on the N3 bi-directional between Umlaas Road and Lynnfield Park in Ashburton today, 21 June 2022, between 09H00 and 15H00. The road closure is necessary to conduct maintenance and upgrading works on the roadway. Motorists are advised to use alternative routes for the duration of the road closure.
SOUTH AFRICA – LIMPOPO – 21 JUN 2022
• POLOKWANE/ PIETERSBURG – 20 JUN 2022 (22H00) ActionSA Leader Herman Mashaba has announced the appointment of former African National Congress (ANC) member Sello Lediga as the party’s Limpopo Chairperson. The announcement follows the party’s recent visit to the province ahead of the appointment of the Provincial Chairperson. Lediga is a former member of the ANC’s Limpopo Provincial Task Team, a political analyst and Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of the Patriotic Movement civil society organisation.
SOUTH AFRICA – MPUMALANGA – 21 JUN 2022
• KOMATI – 20 JUN 2022 (20H15) United Kingdom (UK) Member of Parliament (MP) Alok Sharma, held an oversight visit at the Komati Power Station in Mpumalanga today 20 June 2022. The visit focused on plans to repurpose the plant as part of South Africa’s green energy transition. Sharma also met with local coal miners and community leaders to ensure the transition is fair and protects livelihoods.
SOUTH AFRICA – NORTH WEST – 21 JUN 2022
• RUSTENBURG – 20 JUN 2022 (19H10) The Interim Provincial Committee (IPC) announced the postponement of the North West elective conference, which was expected to occur on Wednesday, 22 June 2022. This follows after African National Congress (ANC) members demanded that some Interim Provincial Committee (IPC) members who serve on the Provincial Dispute Resolution Committee be removed. The ANC members are accusing the IPC of bias. These are members that have already declared their intention to contest for the provincial leadership positions. The IPC has resolved to postpone the provincial elective conference to allow for the dispute resolution process.
• BETHANIE – 20 JUN 2022 (22H45) Protest reported on the R556 in the Bethanie area between Segoalane and Barseba. Community members are barricading the roadway with burning tyres and debris. Motorists are advised to use alternative routes. Authorities are aware of the situation.
• SEGWAELANE – 21 JUN 2022 (07H40) UPDATE Demonstrations reported in the vicinity of Segwaelane Taxi Rank. Motorists are advised to avoid the area and use alternative routes. (06H35) Protest reported on the R556 between Bethanie and Segwaelane. The demonstrators have barricaded the road with burning tyres and debris. The demonstrators are protesting in demand of better service delivery and job opportunities. Motorists are advised to avoid the area and use alternative routes. Police are on the scene.
• RUSTENBURG – 21 JUN 2022 (08H20) Protest expected by members affiliated with The National Union of Metalworkers of South Africa (NUMSA) today, 21 June 2022, at Impala Platinum mine. The demonstrators are expected to gather at Freedom Park and march to the Impala Platinum mine. NUMSA members employed by Reagetswe Mining Group, Triple M Mining and Newrak mining, who are contracted to provide services to Implats, are expected to protest to demand salary increases. Motorists are advised to avoid the area and use alternative routes. Police will be deployed to monitor the area.
SOUTH AFRICA – NORTHERN CAPE – 21 JUN 2022
• KIMBERLEY – 20 JUN 2022 (21H40) The Northern Cape Police’s Organized Crime Prevention Unit in Kimberley has announced the launch of an investigation into the recent kidnapping of a male businessman on Samaria Road, Kimberley. Communications Department Spokesperson Lieutenant-Colonel Sergio Kock has stated that preliminary investigations indicate that the individual disappeared after meeting with four unidentified people for a business appointment over the preceding weekend. During the meeting, an argument ensued, and one of the suspects allegedly opened fire sporadically before kidnapping the businessman and fleeing the scene in a pickup truck. Kock has noted that efforts are underway to locate and retrieve the kidnapped individual.
• KATHU – 21 JUN 2022 (06H10) The Member of the Executive Council (MEC) for Education, Zolile Monakali, is expected to deliver the Department of Education 2022/23 Budget Vote to the Provincial Legislature today, 21 June 2022, at the Gamagara Town Hall from 10H00.
SOUTH AFRICA – WESTERN CAPE – 21 JUN 2022
• CAPE TOWN – 20 JUN 2022 (20H25) Shooting reported at Donegal apartments in the Elsies Riviers area. Historically, shootings in the area are related to gang violence. Motorists are advised to avoid the area. Police have been dispatched to the scene.
• CAPE TOWN – 21 JUN 2022 (06H30) Protest reported on Jan Smuts Drive/M17 in Goodwood. The demonstrators have barricaded the road with burning tyres and debris. Motorists are advised to avoid the area and use alternative routes. Police have been dispatched.
UPCOMING EVENTS – 21 JUN 2022
• TSHWANE/ PRETORIA: Protest expected at the South African Police Service (SAPS) Headquarters on Wednesday, 22 June 2022, from 10H00 until 14H00 by the Police and Prisons Civil Rights Union (POPCRU).
• CAPE TOWN: The official handover ceremony of the 5th final instalment of the State Capture Report is scheduled to occur at the Parliament in Cape Town on Wednesday, 22 June 2022.
• KATHU: Protest expected by the Economic Freedom Fighters (EFF) members on Wednesday, 22 June 2022, at the Kumba Iron Ore Mine from 11H00.
• JOHANNESBURG: The Congress of South African Trade Unions (COSATU) is expected to convene a Health Committee meeting on 23 June 2022.
• SOWETO: The Economic Freedom Fighters (EFF) is expected to hold an EFF Freedom Charter Day Rally on Sunday, 26 June 2022, at the Walter Sisulu Square from 11H00.
• BLOEMFONTEIN: The Economic Freedom Fighters (EFF) is expected to celebrate its 9th Anniversary on Saturday, 31 July 2022, at the Dr Molemela Stadium from 11H00. The EFF Commander in Chief (CIC), Julius Malema, is expected to address the EFF members during the celebration.
Website: www.willshir.com – 2022 ©️ Willshir & Associates
Willshir & Associates – Business Intelligence Program (LN)