- This event has passed.
20220623 1000 WILLSHIR SOUTH AFRICA TIMELINE
20220623 1000 WILLSHIR SOUTH AFRICA TIMELINE
SOUTH AFRICA – EASTERN CAPE – 23 JUN 2022
- CATHCART – 22 JUN 2022 (21H20) Protest reported on the N6 approaching Cathcart from Stutterheim. Demonstrators are reportedly barricading the roadway with burning tyres and debris. Reports indicate that protestors are attempting to halt and vandalise trucks travelling through the area. Authorities are aware of the situation. Motorists are advised to use alternative routes.
SOUTH AFRICA – FREE STATE – 23 JUN 2022
- BLOEMFONTEIN – 22 JUN 2022 (19H45) The Economic Freedom Fighters (EFF) in the Bloemfontein Mangaung Metropolitan Municipality have called for the dissolution of the Council following the failure to adopt its budget. The EFF Mangaung Chairperson, Gopolang Lipale, stated that the Council has failed to fulfil its task of serving residents in the Metropolitan. This follows after the Metropolitan has, on two occasions, failed to pass and adopt its 2022/23 budget after it failed to adhere to governing legislation.
SOUTH AFRICA – GAUTENG – 23 JUN 2022
- TSHWANE/ PRETORIA – 22 JUN 2022 (19H00) The Passenger Rail Agency of South Africa (PRASA) announced plans to refurbish 400 passenger rail coaches around the country and return them to service. PRASA would need R7.5 billion over five years and have requested permission from the National Treasury to move funding from its capital budget to operational expenditure. The agency stated that its personnel numbers have increased from 2,000 in 2020 to 4,922 in 2022.
- SANDTON – 22 JUN 2022 (19H20) Eskom confirmed that it has reached a deadlock with the National Union of Metalworkers of South Africa (NUMSA) during wage negotiations at the Central Bargaining Forum (CBF). Eskom management declared a dispute at the beginning of the fourth round of wage negotiations after the union tabled its revised demands. NUMSA demanded a 15% wage increase across the board, which Eskom management maintained it could not afford. Eskom General Manager for people relations Thulane Ngele stated that the parties could refer the matter to the Commission for Conciliation, Mediation and Arbitration (CCMA).
- RANDFONTEIN – 22 JUN 2022 (21H45) Protest reported on the R28 between the Engen filling station and the Umphakathi Mall shopping centre in the vicinity of Mohlakeng, Randfontein. Community members are reportedly barricading the roadway with burning tyres and rocks. Demonstrators are protesting against service delivery related issues. Motorists are advised to use alternative routes.
- TSHWANE/ PRETORIA – 22 JUN 2022 (22H30) Health Minister Joe Phaahla has issued a notice in the Government Gazette repealing Regulations 16A, 16B and 16C of the regulations relating to the surveillance and mitigation of COVID-19. With effect from Wednesday, 22 June 2022, South African citizens are no longer required to observe the mask-wearing mandate indoors and in public settings. In addition, limits on gatherings and the regulation of travellers entering the country at all border points have been effectively discarded. Minister Phaahla and the Minister in the Presidency, Mondli Gungubele, are expected to conduct a press briefing on Thursday, 23 June 2022, regarding Cabinet deliberations.
- JOHANNESBURG – 22 JUN 2022 (22H50) Truckers Association of South Africa (TASA) President Mary Phadi has announced intentions to open a defamation case against Road Freight Association (RFA) Chief Executive Officer (CEO) Gavin Kelly at 11H00 on Thursday, 23 June 2022. This reportedly relates to a statement made by Kelly during the signing of the Road Freight Logistics Task Team Implementation Media Brief session, held in Pretoria at the Department of Transport offices on 20 June 2022.
- TSHWANE/PRETORIA – 23 JUN 2022 (06H15) President Cyril Ramaphosa is expected to travel to Windhoek, Namibia, from 28 June 2022 until 01 July 2022 to co-chair the third session of the Namibia-South Africa Bi-national Commission (BNC). Namibian President Hage Geingob will chair the BNC. President Ramaphosa is set to lead the South African delegation at the session. During the session, the members are expected to discuss ways to strengthen bilateral relations between both countries.
- SOWETO – 23 JUN 2022 (06H35) Protest reported on Manotshe and Mabalane street in the Soweto area. Reports indicate that community members are barricading the roads with rocks and burning tyres. Furthermore, the members are expected to be protesting due to service delivery related issues. Motorists are advised to use alternative routes.
- GROBLERSDAL – 23 JUN 2022 (07H55) Community members and their representatives are expected to commence a planned shutdown in the Groblersdal area on 24 June 2022. The community will get their petition signed and transfer the memorandum to relative authorities. Furthermore, the community members are requesting the renaming of Groblersdal Town, Marble Hall Town, Groblersdal Magistrate Court, Police Station, Ben Viljoen School, Loskop Water Scheme, Groblersdal Mall, Groblersdal Hospital, Van Riebeeck Street and all strategic key points in Sekhukhune. The South African Police Services (SAPS) are aware of the shutdown.
- JOHANNESBURG – 23 JUN 2022 (07H00) Service disruption reported in the Hursthill area. The power outage has followed due to a Blown Mini Substation (MSS). The affected areas include Montroux, Risidale, Northcliff, Waterval Estate and Blackheath. A new MSS has been ordered and will be installed as the unit arrives on site. Updates will be provided as received.
SOUTH AFRICA – KWAZULU-NATAL – 23 JUN 2022
- DURBAN – 22 JUN 2022 (21H10) Durban Police have launched an investigation into a case of malicious damage to property following a robbery and suspected arson incident at an eThekwini Municipality Ward Councillor’s Office in Klaarwater. Police Spokesperson Constable Thenjiswa Ngcobo has confirmed that a case of malicious damage to property has been opened at the Mariannhill Police Station. This follows after unidentified suspects stole several items and vandalised Ward Councillor Sibusiso Khwela’s Office, and set fire to the guard room on the premises before fleeing the scene on 20 June 2022. Community members staged a service delivery protest earlier the same day due to persistent power outages in the area. Ngcobo has stated that investigations into the matter are underway.
- LOUWSBURG – 23 JUN 2022 (09H30) Protest reported on the R69 road near the Louwsberg area. Reports indicate that the members are protesting due to poor service delivery. Furthermore, the protestors have barricaded the road with debris. Motorists are advised to use alternative routes.
SOUTH AFRICA – LIMPOPO – 23 JUN 2022
- MOKOPANE – 23 JUN 2022 (07H25) The Court has postponed the bail hearing for the four suspects alleged to have killed African National Congress (ANC) councillors Vaaltyn Kekana and Ralph Kanyane to 01 July 2022 at the Mokopane Magistrates Court. The postponement is expected to follow due to a suspect requiring an operation for an illness examined by his private medical doctor. The State is set to oppose the bail application due to the safety of the witnesses in the case.
SOUTH AFRICA – MPUMALANGA – 23 JUN 2022
- KWAMHLANGA – 22 JUN 2022 (20H40) Provincial Portfolio Committee on Health and Social Development Chairperson Pat Ngomane has announced that the Department of Health has established a task team to immediately intervene in challenges being experienced at the Kwa-Mhlanga hospital. The announcement follows after Ngomane and members of the Committee recently conducted an oversight visit to Kwa-Mhlanga and Witbank Hospitals in the Nkangala District Local Municipality. The Chairperson has stated that the members identified overcrowding conditions and urgent refurbishments needed at the hospitals. Efforts are underway to address the matters.
- HENDRINA – 23 JUN 2022 (08H55) Protest reported on the Arnot road outside of Hendrina. Members are expected to be protesting due to the poor service delivery. The members have allegedly blocked off the road. Motorists are advised to use alternative routes.
SOUTH AFRICA – NORTH WEST – 23 JUN 2022
- WOLMARANSSTAD – 22 JUN 2022 (22H00) Transport Minister Fikile Mbalula is scheduled to embark on an inspection visit to Wolmaransstad, Klerksdorp, and Potchefstroom in the North West on Thursday, 23 June 2022. During the visit, Minister Mbalula is expected to evaluate progress made in the restoration of the N12 national highway through the three towns. This aims to follow up on commitments made during the Minister’s previous Imbizo to the area.
SOUTH AFRICA – NORTHERN CAPE – 23 JUN 2022
- SPRINGBOK – 22 JUN 2022 (20H00) Police have arrested three suspects for copper theft from a cellphone tower in Springbok. The Police are continuing to search for two additional accomplices involved in the theft. Northern Cape Police Spokesperson, Sergio Kock, stated that about 86 metres of copper cable, worth approximately R1 million, was stolen. The Police retrieved 70 metres. The arrested suspects are expected to appear in the Springbok Magistrate’s Court soon, on charges of damaging, destroying, and tampering with essential infrastructure.
SOUTH AFRICA – WESTERN CAPE – 23 JUN 2022
- CAPE TOWN – 22 JUN 2022 (21H50) UPDATE President Cyril Ramaphosa is expected to formally present the Commission’s full report to Parliament within four months from today, 22 June 2022, in line with the High Court directive. The President is also expected to indicate his intentions on the implementation of the Commission’s recommendations during this time. The report addresses several matters, including the Vrede Dairy Farm project, former State Security Agency (SSA) Director-General Arthur Fraser, the Gupta family, crime intelligence and alleged corruption at the SSA. (06H35) The official handover ceremony of the 5th final instalment of the State Capture Report is scheduled to occur at the Parliament in Cape Town today, 22 June 2022. The report was expected to be handed to President Cyril Ramaphosa on Monday, 20 June 2022, at the Union Buildings. However, the State Capture Commission stated that there were challenges in processing parts 5 and 6 of its report.
UPCOMING EVENTS – 23 JUN 2022
- JOHANNESBURG: The Congress of South African Trade Unions (COSATU) is expected to convene a Health Committee meeting on 23 June 2022.
- WOLMARANSSTAD: Transport Minister Fikile Mbalula is scheduled to embark on an inspection visit to Wolmaransstad, Klerksdorp, and Potchefstroom in the North West on Thursday, 23 June 2022.
- TSHWANE/ PRETORIA: President Cyril Ramaphosa is expected to lead South Africa’s participation in the virtual 14th Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa (BRICS) Leaders’ Summit hosted by the People’s Republic of China from Thursday, 23 June, until Friday, 24 June 2022.
- BHISO: Protest expected by members affiliated with the Young Communist League of South Africa (YCLSA) and Congress of South African Trade Unions (COSATU) Young Workers Forum (YWF) on Friday, 24 June 2022, at the office of the Premier from 10H00.
- SOWETO: The Economic Freedom Fighters (EFF) is expected to hold an EFF Freedom Charter Day Rally on Sunday, 26 June 2022, at the Walter Sisulu Square from 11H00.
- Pretoria/Tshwane: President Cyril Ramaphosa is expected to travel to Windhoek, Namibia, from 28 June 2022 until 01 July 2022 to co-chair the third session of the Namibia-South Africa Bi-national Commission (BNC).
- BLOEMFONTEIN: The Economic Freedom Fighters (EFF) is expected to celebrate its 9th Anniversary on Saturday, 31 July 2022, at the Dr Molemela Stadium from 11H00. The EFF Commander in Chief (CIC), Julius Malema, is expected to address the EFF members during the celebration.
Website: www.willshir.com – 2022 ©️ Willshir & Associates
Willshir & Associates – Business Intelligence Program (SB)