- This event has passed.
20220705 1000 WILLSHIR SOUTH AFRICA TIMELINE
SOUTH AFRICA – EASTERN CAPE – 05 JUL 2022
• QUEENSTOWN – 04 JUL 2022 (21H55) The Economic Freedom Fighters (EFF) announced the party’s plans to launch a motion of no confidence against President Cyril Ramaphosa in the coming days. EFF Deputy-President, Floyd Shivambu, stated that the motion of no confidence is regarding the Phala-Phala robbery where Ramaphosa failed to report the theft, which occurred at his private game farm.
• EAST LONDON – 05 JUL 2022 (09H15) President Cyril Ramaphosa is expected to attend the mass funeral service of 21 youth members on Wednesday, 06 July 2022, at the Scenery Park Sports Field from 09H00. The President will be joined by Premier Oscar Mabuyane and provincial and local government leaders.
SOUTH AFRICA – FREE STATE – 05 JUL 2022
• PARYS – 05 JUL 2022 (02H55) Eskom announced that the Ngwathe Municipality had paid R1,1 million to enable them to conduct the necessary maintenance to restore power to the local municipality. Eskom stated that the payment will be allocated to repairs required to restore supply to Parys and Vredefort in the Free State after overloading on the Ngwathe electrical network tripped and damaged Eskom’s equipment on Friday, 01 July 2022. Eskom further noted that the maintenance will only focus on the hot connections and will only be temporary to assist communities. Another outage will be scheduled to repair the transformer bushings that were also damaged during the overloading incident.
• WELKOM – 05 JUL 2022 (08H25) Protest reported on Mothusi Road outside the Central University of Technology (CUT) Welkom Campus. Students are protesting to demand that exams be written online. The demonstrators have blockaded the area. Motorists are advised to avoid the area and use alternative routes. Police have been dispatched.
• KROONSTAD – 05 JUL 2022 (08H40) Looting reported on the R76. A truck transporting fuel has overturned. Reports indicate that community members are looting the items. Motorists are advised to approach the area with caution. Emergency services have been dispatched.
SOUTH AFRICA – GAUTENG – 05 JUL 2022
• TSHWANE/ PRETORIA – 04 JUL 2022 (20H00) Cash-in-Transit (CIT) robbery reported in Hermanstad. Suspects have bombed an armoured vehicle. Motorists are advised to avoid the area. Police have been dispatched to the scene.
• PRETORIA/TSHWANE – 05 JUL 2022 (00H30) The Department of Minerals and Energy announced an increase in fuel prices from Wednesday 06 July 2022 from 00H00. The Department stated that the fuel price increase is as follows Petrol 93: R2,37/litre Petrol 95: R2,57/litre Diesel 0.05%: R2,31/litre and Diesel 0.005%: R2,30/litre.
• JOHANNESBURG – 05 JUL 2022 (06H00) Protest expected by the Democratic Alliance (DA) members today, 05 July 2022, at the Member of the Executive (MEC) for Education, Payanza Lesufi’s office from 11H15. The DA members are expected to protest against the Basic Education Laws Amendment (BELA) Bill. The Bill aims to disempower the school governing bodies (SGBs) with regard to language and admission policies. Motorists are advised to be vigilant. Police will be deployed to monitor the area.
• TSHWANE/ PRETORIA – 05 JUL 2022 (06H10) The Minister of International Relations and Cooperation, Naledi Pandor, is expected to visit Singapore from today, 05 July 2022, until Wednesday, 06 July 2022, at the invitation of the Honourable Vivian Balakrishnan, Minister of Foreign Affairs of Singapore, to discuss bilateral and multilateral cooperation issues of mutual interest. Minister Pandor is expected to will address and engage various government and business entities such as the National Research Foundation (NRF) and the Singapore Institute of Technical Education (ITE). The discussions are expected to expand further cooperation and skills development exchanges between South Africa and Singapore.
• TARLTON – 05 JUL 2022 (07H30) Stones and debris reported at the intersection of the N14 and R24 in Tarlton following a protest on Monday, 04 July 2022. The situation remains volatile. Motorists are advised to avoid the area and use alternative routes. Police are monitoring the area.
SOUTH AFRICA – KWAZULU-NATAL – 05 JUL 2022
• KOKSTAD – 04 JUL 2022 (19H00) Cash-in-Transit (CIT) robbery reported in Kokstad. Reports indicate that six unknown gunmen ambushed a Fidelity CIT team in Kokstad on route to their base. Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of Fidelity Services Wahl Bartmann stated that the group rammed the Fidelity vehicle, fatally shooting the driver. Bartmann stated that the other two security officials managed to escape the area. Bartmann further noted that the armed group was not able to access any of the money in the vehicle.
• DURBAN – 05 JUL 2022 (02H45) Eskom announced the implementation of loadshedding in the eThekwini Municipality from 01 August 2022. Eskom stated that the eThekwini Municipality had been relieved of frequent blackouts since the flooding in April and May 2022, but after consulting with the local municipality, they concluded that the region is recovering after the floods. Therefore, loadshedding will resume from 01 August in the region.
• DURBAN – 05 JUL 2022 (06H05) The Member of the Executive Council (MEC) for Cooperative Governance and Traditional Affairs (COGTA), Sipho Hlomuka, is expected to convene the Local Government Indaba today, 05 July 2022, from 09H00 at the Durban International Convention Centre (ICC). The Indaba is expected to provide a solid foundation for the fifth local government term. Various stakeholders that have a role to play in local government, including State-Owned Entities and departments, will engage with Mayors, Municipal Managers, MPAC members and other stakeholders in local government. Premier Sihle Zikalala and the Minister of Cooperative Governance and Traditional Affairs (COGTA) Nkosazana Dlamini-Zuma are expected to attend the Indaba.
• PINETOWN – 05 JUL 2022 (07H10) Protest reported on Wiltshire Road. The demonstrators have barricaded the road with burning tyres and debris. Motorists are advised to avoid the area and use alternative routes. Police have been dispatched.
SOUTH AFRICA – LIMPOPO – 05 JUL 2022
• BOTHASVLEY – 04 JUL 2022 (19H50) UPDATE Police have closed the northbound lane on the N1 and are diverting the traffic from Codrington off-ramp to R101 towards Bela-Bela. The road is closed for a crime scene. Suspects have bombed an armoured vehicle and fled with an undisclosed amount of money. Police are investigating the matter. (19H00) Cash-in-Transit (CIT) robbery reported on the N1 at Codrington between Pienaarsriver and Bela-Bela. Motorists are advised to use alternative routes and avoid the area. Police have been dispatched to the scene.
• GIYANI – 04 JUL 2022 (20H10) Residents of Giyani are demanding the immediate suspension of the Greater Giyani Municipal Manager and have vowed to keep the offices closed until their demands are met. The Manager is accused of being responsible for the disappearance of R10 million at the municipality, nepotism and failure to empower local businesses through the awarding of tenders. Spokesperson for the Greater Giyani municipality Steven Mavunda stated that the R10 million did not disappear from the municipal account. However, it got attached by the sheriff of the court. A criminal case on the disappearance of the money has been opened, and the court case will be heard in October 2022.
SOUTH AFRICA – MPUMALANGA – 05 JUL 2022
• TEKWANE SOUTH – 05 JUL 2022 (07H50) Premier Refilwe Mtsweni Tsipane and the Member of the Executive (MEC) for Public Works, Roads and Transport, Mohita Latchminarain, are expected to officiate the opening of the Tekwane Road D2296 on Thursday, 07 July 2022, from 10H00.
SOUTH AFRICA – NORTH WEST – 04 JUL 2022
• RUSTENBURG – 04 JUL 2022 (19H00) Protest reported on the R510 between Boitekong and Kanana. The demonstrators are barricading the road with burning tyres and debris. Previously, the community members protested due to poor service delivery related to the lack of electricity supply. Motorists are advised to use alternative routes. Police have been dispatched to the scene.
• CHRISTIANA – 04 JUL 2022 (18H40) Fire reported at the Lekwa-Teemane Town Hall on Diamond Street in Christiana. Motorists are advised to use alternative routes and avoid the area. Firefighters are on the scene.
• BRITS – 05 JUL 2022 (09H30) Protest reported outside the Brits Magistrate Court. Residents from Oukasie are protesting to demand the court to deny bail for suspects accused of murder. The demonstrators have barricaded the area. Motorists are advised to avoid the area and use alternative routes. Police are on the scene.
SOUTH AFRICA – NORTHERN CAPE – 05 JUL 2022
• ORANIA – 05 JUL 2022 (09H00) The Orania Movement Spokesperson, Joost Strydom, has announced the completion of phase one of its renewable energy plans within the town of Orania, which provides more than 20% of its electricity demands. Strydom stated that the completed phase generates 841 KiloWatts (KW), which provides power supply to over 200 residences, and the town has a population of approximately 2,500 residents. Strydom added that the residents in Orania aim to generate electricity independently from Eskom within the next five years.
SOUTH AFRICA – WESTERN CAPE – 05 JUL 2022
• CAPE TOWN – 04 JUL 2022 (23H05) Road closure reported on the N1 inbound at the M5 Southbound ramp in Maitland, Cape Town. The road will be closed due to maintenance work being conducted on the road. Motorists are advised to use alternative routes until the maintenance work has concluded.
UPCOMING EVENTS – 05 JUL 2022
• GQEBERHA/ PORT ELIZABETH: Protest expected at UMhlobo Wenene FM on Thursday, 07 July 2022, by members of the Economic Freedom Fighters (EFF).
• JOHANNESBUR: Protest expected on Friday, 15 July 2022, at the Chief Albert Luthuli House.
• BLOEMFONTEIN: The Economic Freedom Fighters (EFF) is expected to celebrate its 9th Anniversary on Saturday, 30 July 2022, at the Dr Molemela Stadium from 11H00. The EFF Commander in Chief (CIC), Julius Malema, is expected to address the EFF members during the celebration.
Website: www.willshir.com – 2022 ©️ Willshir & Associates
Willshir & Associates – Business Intelligence Program (LN)