- This event has passed.
20220705 1900 WILLSHIR SOUTH AFRICA TIMELINE
SOUTH AFRICA – EASTERN CAPE – 05 JUL 2022
• EAST LONDON – 05 JUL 2022 (09H15) President Cyril Ramaphosa is expected to attend the mass funeral service of 21 youth members on Wednesday, 06 July 2022, at the Scenery Park Sports Field from 09H00. The President will be joined by Premier Oscar Mabuyane and provincial and local government leaders.
• TABANKULU – 05 JUL 2022 (16H50) Eskom Eastern Cape, in a joint operation with the South African Police Service, has disconnected illegal connections in Tabankulu residential and business premises. This is due to illegal connections that are overloading the electricity network, causing power outages in the area.
SOUTH AFRICA – FREE STATE – 05 JUL 2022
• PARYS – 05 JUL 2022 (02H55) Eskom announced that the Ngwathe Municipality had paid R1,1 million to enable them to conduct the necessary maintenance to restore power to the local municipality. Eskom stated that the payment will be allocated to repairs required to restore supply to Parys and Vredefort in the Free State after overloading on the Ngwathe electrical network tripped and damaged Eskom’s equipment on Friday, 01 July 2022. Eskom further noted that the maintenance will only focus on the hot connections and will only be temporary to assist communities. Another outage will be scheduled to repair the transformer bushings that were also damaged during the overloading incident.
• WELKOM – 05 JUL 2022 (08H25) Protest reported on Mothusi Road outside the Central University of Technology (CUT) Welkom Campus. Students are protesting to demand that exams be written online. The demonstrators have blockaded the area. Motorists are advised to avoid the area and use alternative routes. Police have been dispatched.
• KROONSTAD – 05 JUL 2022 (08H40) Looting reported on the R76. A truck transporting fuel has overturned. Reports indicate that community members are looting the items. Motorists are advised to approach the area with caution. Emergency services have been dispatched.
SOUTH AFRICA – GAUTENG – 05 JUL 2022
• TSHWANE/ PRETORIA – 05 JUL 2022 (00H30) The Department of Minerals and Energy announced an increase in fuel prices from Wednesday 06 July 2022 from 00H00. The Department stated that the fuel price increase is as follows Petrol 93: R2,37/litre Petrol 95: R2,57/litre Diesel 0.05%: R2,31/litre and Diesel 0.005%: R2,30/litre.
• TSHWANE/ PRETORIA – 05 JUL 2022 (06H10) The Minister of International Relations and Cooperation, Naledi Pandor, is expected to visit Singapore from today, 05 July 2022, until Wednesday, 06 July 2022, at the invitation of the Honourable Vivian Balakrishnan, Minister of Foreign Affairs of Singapore, to discuss bilateral and multilateral cooperation issues of mutual interest. Minister Pandor is expected to will address and engage various government and business entities such as the National Research Foundation (NRF) and the Singapore Institute of Technical Education (ITE). The discussions are expected to expand further cooperation and skills development exchanges between South Africa and Singapore.
• TARLTON – 05 JUL 2022 (07H30) Stones and debris reported at the intersection of the N14 and R24 in Tarlton following a protest on Monday, 04 July 2022. The situation remains volatile. Motorists are advised to avoid the area and use alternative routes. Police are monitoring the area.
• JOHANNESBURG – 05 JUL 2022 (11H45) UPDATE Demonstrations reported outside the Department of Education. The demonstrators have barricaded the entrance of the offices. Police are on the scene. (06H00) Protest expected by the Democratic Alliance (DA) members today, 05 July 2022, at the Member of the Executive (MEC) for Education, Payanza Lesufi’s office from 11H15. The DA members are expected to protest against the Basic Education Laws Amendment (BELA) Bill. The Bill aims to disempower the school governing bodies (SGBs) with regard to language and admission policies. Motorists are advised to be vigilant. Police will be deployed to monitor the area.
• JOHANNESBURG – 05 JUL 2022 (13H50) Looting reported on Marlboro Drive/ M60 near the N2 crossing in Alexandra. A truck transporting soft drinks overturned. Local residents are looting the contents of the truck. Motorists are advised to use alternative routes. Police have been dispatched to the scene.
• JOHANNESBURG – 05 JUL 2022 (15H00) UPDATE The Parliament has extended the deadline for the public to submit their comments on the proposed changes to the Schools Act and the Employment of Educators’ Act to 15 August 2022. The proposed changes include the school’s language policy and the powers of education authorities to criminalise the disruption of schooling activities. (10H45) The Member of the Executive Council (MEC) for Education, Panyaza Lesufi, is expected to hold a media brief to address concerns surrounding the Basic Education Laws Amendment (BELA) Bill today, 05 July 2022 from 12H00. This follows a planned protest by the Democratic Alliance (DA) outside the MEC’s offices. The BELA Bill proposes to amend the South African Schools Act (SASA) and align it with the ongoing development in the country’s education landscape.
• JOHANNESBURG – 05 JUL 2022 (16H00) The South Gauteng High Court has ruled that the four Police officers who were accused of fatally shooting Mthokozisi Ntumba have been found not guilty on all counts. This follows after the defence brought an application to have the charges of murder and attempted murder against them dismissed. Ntumba had been shot during a student protest in Braamfontein in March 2021. The Police officers were arrested by the Independent Police Investigative Directorate a few days after Ntumba was shot.
• SANDTON – 05 JUL 2022 (16H15) UPDATE Eskom has signed the wage agreement at the centralised bargaining council between Eskom and the three recognised labour unions, NUM, NUMSA and Solidarity. The agreement entails an increase of 7% for Bargaining Forum employees and an increase of R400 per month on the housing allowance. (14H30) Members of the National Union of Mineworkers (NUM) and the National Union of Metalworkers of South Africa (NUMSA) have accepted the 7% wage offer by Eskom. Union leaders have concluded their shop steward council in Woodmead and will now commence with the Eskom centralised bargaining council meeting, where the feedback will be tabled.
• SANDTON – 05 AUG 2022 (17H00) Eskom announced that it reached an agreement on wage discussions with recognised labour unions, the National Union of Mineworkers (NUM), the National Union of Metalworkers of South Africa (NUMSA) and Solidarity. This brings the Central Bargaining Forum (CBF) discussions and wage dispute to an end. A 7% salary across the board increase for all employees covered in the CBF will be applied for the year starting 01 July 2022 to 30 June 2023. For this period, the housing allowance will be increased to R400 per month. With effect from July 2022, Eskom agreed to re-instate the conditions of services which applied during the agreement in force until 30 June 2021. The overall effect of the agreement on the wage bill will be R1 billion over the period of the agreement.
SOUTH AFRICA – KWAZULU-NATAL – 05 JUL 2022
• DURBAN – 05 JUL 2022 (02H45) Eskom announced the implementation of loadshedding in the eThekwini Municipality from 01 August 2022. Eskom stated that the eThekwini Municipality had been relieved of frequent blackouts since the flooding in April and May 2022, but after consulting with the local municipality, they concluded that the region is recovering after the floods. Therefore, loadshedding will resume from 01 August in the region.
• DURBAN – 05 JUL 2022 (06H05) The Member of the Executive Council (MEC) for Cooperative Governance and Traditional Affairs (COGTA), Sipho Hlomuka, is expected to convene the Local Government Indaba today, 05 July 2022, from 09H00 at the Durban International Convention Centre (ICC). The Indaba is expected to provide a solid foundation for the fifth local government term. Various stakeholders that have a role to play in local government, including State-Owned Entities and departments, will engage with Mayors, Municipal Managers, MPAC members and other stakeholders in local government. Premier Sihle Zikalala and the Minister of Cooperative Governance and Traditional Affairs (COGTA) Nkosazana Dlamini-Zuma are expected to attend the Indaba.
• PINETOWN – 05 JUL 2022 (07H10) Protest reported on Wiltshire Road. The demonstrators have barricaded the road with burning tyres and debris. Motorists are advised to avoid the area and use alternative routes. Police have been dispatched.
• PIETERMARITZBURG – 05 JUL 2022 (15H30) Umgeni Water announced the appointment of Sipho Manana as Acting Chief Executive Officer (CEO) to replace Mboniseni Dlamini, whose contract expired at the end of June 2022. Manana will hold the post until the board of the KwaZulu-Natal- based water entity finds a permanent candidate for the position.
• DURBAN – 05 JUL 2022 (16H30) Protest expected at the Durban Central Police Station on Thursday, 07 July 2022 from 08H00. Demonstrators will be demanding the resignation of African National Congress (ANC) President Cyril Ramaphosa. Motorists are advised to be vigilant during the protest. Police will be deployed to monitor the area.
SOUTH AFRICA – LIMPOPO – 05 JUL 2022
• LEBOWAKGOMO – 05 JUL 2022 (17H20) A police task team has been assembled to investigate the murder of a Waterberg TVET College lecturer in an alleged act of vigilantism in the Lebowakgomo policing area on Saturday morning, 02 July 2022. The community has caused the victim of stock theft. Preliminary Police investigations revealed that the victim, who was a resident of Lebowakgomo, often buys life stock from the surrounding villages. Community members in Mamaolo saw him transporting life stock in a pick-up truck. The community assaulted the victim and set the vehicle and the victim alight.
SOUTH AFRICA – MPUMALANGA – 05 JUL 2022
• TEKWANE SOUTH – 05 JUL 2022 (07H50) Premier Refilwe Mtsweni Tsipane and the Member of the Executive (MEC) for Public Works, Roads and Transport, Mohita Latchminarain, is expected to officiate the opening of the Tekwane Road D2296 on Thursday, 07 July 2022, from 10H00.
SOUTH AFRICA – NORTH WEST – 04 JUL 2022
• BRITS – 05 JUL 2022 (09H30) Protest reported outside the Brits Magistrate Court. Residents from Oukasie are protesting to demand the court to deny bail for suspects accused of murder. The demonstrators have barricaded the area. Motorists are advised to avoid the area and use alternative routes. Police are on the scene.
• KLERKSDORP – 05 JUL 2022 (12H25) Protest reported on the corner of Siddle Street and Voortrekker Street. Taxi operators have blockaded the road. Motorists are advised to avoid the area and use alternative routes. Police are on the scene.
• RUSTENBURG – 05 JUL 2022 (12H55) The Rustenburg Local Municipality has announced a planned power interruption on Saturday, 09 July 2022, and Saturday, 16 July 2022, from 08H00 until 16H00. The power interruption will allow Eskom to conduct emergency repairs at the Marang Substation. The Municipality technicians are also expected to conduct repairs at the Waterkloof switching station during these outages. The following areas are expected to be affected, Waterkloof, Parts of Boschdal, Archolistad, Kroondal, Ikemeleng, Millsell Mine, Salvania Mine and Rustenburg Central Business District (CBD). The Municipality stated that it will provide updates as the situation progresses.
• POTCHEFSTROOM – 05 JUL 2022 (14H30) UPDATE Police have cleared the N12 for traffic. The demonstrators continue to protest in the area. Motorists are advised to be vigilant. Police are monitoring the situation. (14H00) Protest reported on the N12 outside of Ikageng. Community members are protesting due to poor service delivery. The demonstrators are barricading the road with burning tyres and are throwing stones at passing vehicles. Motorists are advised to use alternative routes. Police are on the scene.
SOUTH AFRICA – NORTHERN CAPE – 05 JUL 2022
• ORANIA – 05 JUL 2022 (09H00) The Orania Movement Spokesperson, Joost Strydom, has announced the completion of phase one of its renewable energy plans within the town of Orania, which provides more than 20% of its electricity demands. Strydom stated that the completed phase generates 841 KiloWatts (KW), which provides power supply to over 200 residences, and the town has a population of approximately 2,500 residents. Strydom added that the residents in Orania aim to generate electricity independently from Eskom within the next five years.
• KIMBERLEY – 05 JUL 2022 (17H30) Northern Cape Premier Zamani Saul has raised concerns about burglaries at schools in the province. The Premier, along with the Acting Provincial Police Commissioner and the Member of Executive Council (MEC) for Transport, Safety and Liaison Nomandla Bloem, released the provincial crime statistics in Kimberley for the fourth quarter of 2021/2022. Burglaries at schools have increased, with 82 cases reported, the highest in the country. Meanwhile, contact crimes saw an increase of 20.3% in the last three months. The majority of victims were male, followed by females.
SOUTH AFRICA – WESTERN CAPE – 05 JUL 2022
• CAPE TOWN – 05 JUL 2022 (15H40) Police Minister Bheki Cele held a community meeting with residents of Nyanga and Gugulethu today, 05 July 2022. The meeting focused on security-related matters in the areas. During the meeting, Action Society Director of Community Safety Ian Cameron accused Cele of neglecting the Western Cape and called for his removal. Police escorted Cameron out of the meeting.
UPCOMING EVENTS – 05 JUL 2022
• GQEBERHA/ PORT ELIZABETH: Protest expected at UMhlobo Wenene FM on Thursday, 07 July 2022, by members of the Economic Freedom Fighters (EFF).
• DURBAN: Protest expected at the Durban Central Police Station on Thursday, 07 July 2022 from 08H00.
• RUSTENBURG: The Rustenburg Local Municipality has announced a planned power interruption on Saturday, 09 July 2022, and Saturday, 16 July 2022, from 08H00 until 16H00.
• JOHANNESBURG: Protest expected on Friday, 15 July 2022, at the Chief Albert Luthuli House.
• BLOEMFONTEIN: The Economic Freedom Fighters (EFF) is expected to celebrate its 9th Anniversary on Saturday, 30 July 2022, at the Dr Molemela Stadium from 11H00. The EFF Commander in Chief (CIC), Julius Malema, is expected to address the EFF members during the celebration.
Website: www.willshir.com – 2022 ©️ Willshir & Associates
Willshir & Associates – Business Intelligence Program (JK)