- This event has passed.
20220713 1000 WILLSHIR SOUTH AFRICA TIMELINE
SOUTH AFRICA – EASTERN CAPE – 13 JUL 2022
• The Development Department, in partnership with the United Nations Population Fund, will commemorate World Population Day today, 13 July 2022, at Lusikisiki Healthcare resource from 08H30 until 15H30. The commemoration is hosted under this year’s theme, A world of 8 billion, Towards a resilient future for all, Harnessing opportunities and ensuring rights and choices for all.
SOUTH AFRICA – FREE STATE – 13 JUL 2022
• BLOEMFONTEIN – 12 JUL 2022 (19H45) The Pelonomi Hospital Management held a meeting with several recognised unions today, 12 July 2022, regarding the employees’ demands. The recognised unions include the Democratic Nursing Organisation of South Africa (DENOSA), the Health and Other Services Personnel Trade Union of South Africa (Hospersa), the Public Servants Association (PSA), and the National Education, Health and Allied Workers Union (NEHAWU). The meeting was aimed at identifying effective and efficient services for mental healthcare users. This follows after employees embarked on a go-slow on Monday, 11 July 2022, refusing to treat mental health patients allegedly treated in a general medical ward. The Department of Health has agreed with the unions to look at workable spaces on the ground floor. A joint delegation consisting of management and labour unions will inspect the alternative spaces where mental healthcare services can potentially be moved to. This will be explored, and a report will be discussed by management and the various unions in a meeting that will be arranged for Friday, 15 July 2022.
• WELKOM – 12 JUL 2022 (21H40) Shooting reported on Tempest Road in the vicinity of Dagbreek, Welkom. Reports indicate that an unconfirmed number of armed suspects have shot one person during a shooting incident earlier this evening, 12 July 2022. Police are at the scene. The area has since been cordoned off as an ongoing crime scene. Further details are expected to be released pending the outcome of an ongoing investigation.
• WELKOM – 13 JUL 2022 (06H55) UPDATE Demonstrations reported outside the CUT campus. Motorists are advised to avoid the area and use alternative routes. Police are on the scene. (06H10) Protest expected at the Central University of Technology (CUT) today, 13 July, from 06H15. Students are expected to protest to demand examinations to be written online and demand student accommodation allowances. Motorists are advised to avoid the area and use alternative routes. Police will be deployed to monitor the area.
SOUTH AFRICA – GAUTENG – 13 JUL 2022
• BOSKBURG – 12 JUL 2022 (20H00) The Minister of Justice and Correctional Service, Ronald Lamola has confirmed the fatal shooting of two Boksburg Correctional Service officers in Duduza at 07H45 today, 12 July 2022. The officers were searching for a parolee who had absconded. A State firearm has also been stolen from one of the deceased. The Police have opened a case of murder.
• JOHANNESBURG – 12 JUL 2022 (22H10) Johannesburg Metropolitan Police Department (JMPD) and South African Police Service (SAPS) security teams have been deployed to strategic areas in Soweto, Nomzamo and other areas from this evening, 12 July 2022. This follows after Police Minister Bheki Cele recently stated intentions to increase Police presence and visibility in Soweto to ensure security and stability following the recent shooting at a local liquor outlet in Nomzamo. The Minister also stated that Tactical Response Team (TRT) officers are being deployed in the area to assist JMPD and SAPS authorities.
• SOWETO – 13 JUL 2022 (08H35) Protest reported on Main Road in Dobsonville. The demonstrators are protesting due to poor service delivery related to power outages. The demonstrators have barricaded the road with burning tyres and debris. Motorists are advised to avoid the area and use alternative routes. Police are on the scene.
SOUTH AFRICA – KWAZULU-NATAL – 13 JUL 2022
• MPOPHOMENI – 12 JUL 2022 (20H15) UPDATE Threats have allegedly been made against other electricity infrastructure in the Mpophomeni area. Two trucks have been set alight. The situation is volatile. Motorists and truck operators are advised to avoid the area. (19H30) Protest reported on the R617 in Mpophomeni. The road is closed to traffic. The demonstrators have set a truck alight. Community members are protesting due to electricity-related matters. Motorists are advised to avoid the area. Police are on the scene.
• MPOPHOMENI – 13 JUL 2022 (06H10) Protest expected in Mpophomeni today, 13 July 2022. Roads that have previously been affected include the R617, Mandela Drive in Mpophomeni and Zeederberg Road, Main Road and R617 in Merrivale. The demonstrators are protesting due to electricity supply matters. Motorists are advised to be vigilant. Public Order Police are monitoring the situation.
SOUTH AFRICA – LIMPOPO – 13 JUL 2022
• POLOKWANE/ PIETERSBURG – 12 JUL 2022 (19H00) The Limpopo Health Department has denounced the closure of its offices in Polokwane by members of the Directorate for Priority Crime Investigation (Hawks) earlier today, 12 July 2022. This follows after Hawks officials launched a search and seizure operation at the Health Department’s headquarters to obtain documents and evidence in relation to the ongoing investigation into the personal protection equipment (PPE) procurement corruption case. Health Department Spokesperson Neil Shikwambana has stated that the closure of the headquarters significantly affected operations and other functions of the offices.
SOUTH AFRICA – MPUMALANGA – 13 JUL 2022
• LYDENBURG – 13 JUL 2022 (06H05) Protest expected at the Thaba Chweu Local Municipality in Lydenburg today, 13 July 2022. Members of the Amalgamated Forum of Thaba Chweu have announced plans to conduct a protest match to the Municipality to hand over a Memorandum. The Forum has requested the temporary suspension of operations at all stores in the town, calling on members of the community to participate in the protest action. Demonstrators are expected to disperse from the Municipality at 11H00. Motorists are advised to remain vigilant and avoid affected areas during the demonstration. Authorities will be deployed in the area to monitor the protest.
• MIDDELBURG – 13 JUL 2022 (08H00) Motorists are advised to be vigilant when travelling on the R555 in the vicinity of Elandspruit Mine due to an ongoing protest. The R555 remains open for traffic flow. The situation remains volatile. Police are monitoring the area.
• STANDERTON – 13 JUL 2022 (09H50) UPDATE Residents of Standerton have started gathering in the vicinity of Thuto Thebe Secondary School ahead of the march to the Municipal offices. (07H45) Protest expected by community members of Standerton at the Lekwa Municipality offices today, 13 July 2022. The demonstrators are expected to gather at Thuto Thebe Secondary School from 08H00 and march to the Municipal offices. The demonstrators are expected to protest to demand service delivery and deliver a memorandum of grievances to the Executive Mayor of the municipality, Louis Thabethe. Motorists are advised to avoid the area and use alternative routes. Police will be deployed to monitor the area.
SOUTH AFRICA – NORTH WEST – 13 JUL 2022
• POTCHEFSTROOM – 13 JUL 2022 (08H20) UPDATE Motorists are advised to avoid Chief Albert Luthuli Drive towards Promosa due to ongoing protest. Police are on the scene. (07H30) Protest reported in Promosa in the vicinity of Extension 4 and 5 Marikana Informal Settlements. The demonstrators are protesting due to service delivery related to electricity. The demonstrators have barricaded the road with burning tyres and debris. Motorists are advised to avoid the area and use alternative routes. Police have been dispatched.
SOUTH AFRICA – NORTHERN CAPE – 13 JUL 2022
• KIMBERLEY – 12 JUL 2022 (22H00) The Sol Plaatje Local Municipality has issued a notice of an expected water supply service disruption scheduled from 06H00 until 18H00 on Thursday, 21 July 2022. This follows after Eskom issued a notice of an expected power supply interruption at the Riverton Substation to allow scheduled maintenance operations during the same time period on 21 July 2022. Areas that are expected to be affected during this period include KCC Waterworks, Riverton Resort and Langleg Resort. Due to the power supply interruption, the Municipality will be unable to pump water supply from Riverton to the Newton Reservoir, causing the water supply interruption to households in the affected areas. The Municipality is expected to issue relevant updates to the public as the situation progresses.
SOUTH AFRICA – WESTERN CAPE – 13 JUL 2022
• CAPE TOWN – 13 JUL 2022 (06H00) Protest expected at the Philippi Police Station today, 13 July 2022, by the Philippi Horticultural Area Social Economic Development Forum (PHA SEDF). The demonstrators will gather at the Agrimark on Olieboom Street from 09H00 and march to the Philippi Police Station. The demonstrators will deliver a memorandum of demands to the City of Cape Town and the Station Commander of Philippi Police. The demonstrators are demanding improved Police services, job opportunities, improved City of Cape Town services, housing, and no farm evictions, among other reasons. Motorists are advised to be vigilant. Police will be deployed to monitor the march.
UPCOMING EVENTS – 13 JUL 2022
• JOHANNESBURG: Protest expected at the Chief Albert Luthuli House in Johannesburg Central by members of the Umkhonto weSizwe Military Veterans Association (MKMVA) on Friday, 15 July 2022.
• DURBAN: The African National Congress (ANC) announced their ninth KwaZulu-Natal (KZN) conference is expected to be held on 20 July 2022 at the Olive Convention Centre.
• JOHANNESBURG: Protest expected by the Democratic Nursing Organisation South Africa (DENOSA) on Wednesday, 20 July 2022.
• TSHWANE/ PRETORIA: South Africa is expected to host an Extra-Ordinary Summit of the Southern African Development Community (SADC) Organ Troika in Pretoria on Thursday, 21 July 2022.
• BLOEMFONTEIN: The Economic Freedom Fighters (EFF) is expected to celebrate its 9th Anniversary on Saturday, 30 July 2022, at the Dr Molemela Stadium from 11H00. The EFF Commander in Chief (CIC), Julius Malema, is expected to address the EFF members during the celebration.
Website: www.willshir.com – 2022 ©️ Willshir & Associates
Willshir & Associates – Business Intelligence Program (LN)