- This event has passed.
20220720 1900 WILLSHIR SOUTH AFRICA TIMELINE
SOUTH AFRICA – EASTERN CAPE – 20 JUL 2022
• BISHO – 20 JUL 2022 (00H50) The Eastern Cape’s Deputy Director-General for Clinical Services, Litha Matiwane, has announced the results of the toxicology tests conducted on the 21 civilians that died at the Enyobeni Tavern. The findings have been contained in the preliminary report from the Cape Town laboratory. Samples obtained from the civilians and tested revealed blood alcohol levels, carbon dioxide levels and qualitative methanol levels. The tests revealed that the civilians had blood alcohol levels between 0.05 grams and 0.26 grams per 100 millilitres (ml). Further, the second results revealed carbon monoxide levels between 3.3% and 21% saturation of haemoglobin. The Cape Town laboratory will conduct further tests to obtain the methanol levels of the civilians, as qualitative results cannot be used to determine the cause of death.
• GQEBERHA/ PORT ELIZABETH – 20 JUL 2022 (07H00) Protest reported on St George Street/ R335 in Markman. Demonstrators are throwing stones and debris at vehicles. Motorists are advised to remain vigilant. Police are aware of the situation.
• MOTHERWELL – 20 JUL 2022 (11H15) UPDATE Demonstrators have been dispersed. Recovery work is in progress after demonstrators allegedly set alight a heavy motor vehicle. Motorists are advised to remain vigilant. (10H45) Demonstrations reported in Motherwell, along W M Maku Street. Pupils from Vulumzi High School, along with officials from the Eastern Cape. The demonstrators are marching to the Raymond Mhlaba sports centre in Motherwell to commemorate the death of 21 minors who died at the Enyobeni tavern in East London. The demonstrators will be proceeding to the Ikamvelihle Police Station to demand Police intervention on selling alcohol to minors. Motorists are advised to remain vigilant. Police are aware of the situation.
• GQEBERHA/ PORT ELIZABETH – 20 JUL 2022 (15H00) Fire reported at a building on the corner of Cottrell Street and Pearl Road in Korsten. The cause of the fire is unknown at this stage. Motorists are advised to use alternative routes. Emergency services are on the scene.
• MATATIELE – 20 JUL 2022 (15H45) UPDATE The demonstrators have dispersed at the Alfred Nizo District Municipality in Matatiele. Motorists are advised to remain vigilant. Police are monitoring the situation. (08H00) Protest reported on Main Street/ R56 at the Alfred Nizo District Municipality in Matatiele heading towards Mt Fletcher. Local contractors and Small, Medium and Micro Enterprises (SMMEs) have barricaded the entrance to the Municipality with vehicles. Municipal employees are unable to enter and exit the premises. The demonstrators are demanding that the Municipality give work opportunities to local contractors and SMMEs. Motorists are advised to use alternative routes and avoid the area. Police are on the scene.
SOUTH AFRICA – FREE STATE – 20 JUL 2022
• KESTELL – 20 JUL 2022 (15H00) The Kestell Magistrate’s Court has postponed the Lismor Farm murder case to 14 September 2022, for further investigations. The two suspects have abandoned their bail application today, 20 July 2022. This follows after the bodies of seven farm workers were found on Friday, 15 July 2022. The Free State Provincial Government is expected to visit the families of the Lismor Farm murder victims today. Premier Sisi Ntombela will be accompanied by the Executive Council.
• WEPENER – 20 JUL 2022 (15H20) Police have launched a search operation for a suspect after a Police officer was fatally shot during an armed robbery in Wepener on Tuesday, 19 July 2022. Two businesses were robbed at about 19H00 in Wepener on Tuesday. A shootout ensued between a suspect and the police. The shooting took place while police were responding to a report of an armed robbery. One police officer was fatally wounded, and another officer was injured. Five suspects have been arrested, while one other suspect remains at large.
SOUTH AFRICA – GAUTENG – 20 JUL 2022
• KEMPTON PARK – 20 JUL 2022 (05H20) Fire reported at Boundary Silk Bazaar, a clothing store, in Kempton Park. The cause of the fire is unknown. Emergency and rescue services have been dispatched to the scene. Members of the public are advised to avoid the area.
• SANDTON – 20 JUL 2022 (06H00) The state-owned development institute for non-energy sector exports, the Russian Export Centre (REC), is expected to host a two-day meeting on Wednesday, 20 July 2022 and Thursday, 21 July 2022, at the Sandton Holiday Inn. REC is expected to bring representatives of 10 Russian companies to offer financial and non-financial support. Additionally, REC has invited Business Unity SA (BUSA) to participate in meetings. Although, Busa representatives have not accepted the invitation. The focus of support will be on engineering and agricultural mechanisation. The Ukrainian Ambassador to South Africa, Liubov Abravitova, noted that her staff would analyse the event. Dzvinka Kachur from the Ukrainian Association of South Africa has contacted the Holiday Inn global management to notify them of the intended meeting at the Sandton Hotel. This follows after the Intercontinental Hotel Group announced their stance against the Russian invasion of Ukraine. Members of the Ukrainian Association of South Africa are expected to hold a protest outside the venue.
• EDENVALE – 20 JUL 2022 (08H50) Protest reported on Edendale Road in West Eastleigh. Ekurhuleni Metro Police Department is on the scene and monitoring the situation. Motorists are advised to use an alternative route.
• SANDTON – 20 JUL 2022 (12H00) UPDATE Authorities have confirmed that the N3 Highway Northbound after London Road has been opened to traffic. Motorists are advised to remain vigilant. Relevant authorities are on the scene and are monitoring the situation. (11H05) Road closure reported on the N3 Highway between Marlboro Drive and Modderfontein Road. Demonstrators are throwing stones at vehicles. Motorists are advised to avoid the area. The situation remains volatile. (10H50) Protest reported on the N3 Highway/ London Road in the vicinity of Alexandra. Demonstrators have barricaded the road with burning tyres and debris. Motorists are advised to use an alternative route. Police have been deployed to the area.
• BENONI – 20 JUL 2022 (12H30) Armed robbery reported at Lakeside Mall in Benoni. Several armed men have robbed a store and fled the scene in three vehicles. Suspects have sporadically opened fire at security personnel near the Crossover store. Members of the public are advised to remain cautious. Authorities are on the scene.
• TSHWANE/ PRETORIA – 20 JUL 2022 (13H50) Protest reported at the Union Buildings by the National Education, Health and Allied Workers’ Union (NEHAWU) and the Public Servants Association (PSA). Members of NEHAWU and PSA are marching in solidarity with South African Revenue Service (SARS) employees. SARS employees have embarked on an industrial strike to demand a 12% wage increase. Motorists are advised to use alternative routes and avoid the area. Police are on the scene.
• JOHANNESBURG – 20 JUL 2022 (14H10) UPDATE Healthcare workers have arrived at the Gauteng Premier’s Office to deliver a memorandum of demands. Motorists are advised to be vigilant. (11H35) Healthcare workers under the aegis of DENOSA have begun marching to the office of the Premier of Gauteng and Gauteng Treasury in Johannesburg. Motorists are advised to use an alternative route for the duration of the protest. The workers are demanding the payment of outstanding salaries, an end to budget cuts and an increase in the intake of student nurses. (10H00) Healthcare workers are gathering outside the COSATU House in Braamfontein ahead of their demonstration to the office of the Premier of Gauteng and Gauteng Treasury in Johannesburg. Members of the public are advised to remain vigilant. (07H20) Members of the Democratic Nursing Organisation South Africa (DENOSA) are expected to lead a march from the Congress of South African Trade Unions (COSATU) House to Mary Fitzgerald Square, thereafter to the Premier’s office in Johannesburg to the Department of Health South from 09H00. Motorists are advised to remain vigilant. (06H15) Protest expected by the Democratic Nursing Organisation South Africa (DENOSA) on Wednesday, 20 July 2022. Nurses under the aegis of DENOSA will embark on a protest action across Gauteng province to protest against their current working conditions. The organisation has noted that it would also be protesting over exploiting community service nurses, non-payment of salaries, staff shortages, and retrenching of newly-qualified nurses. The nurses are expected to deliver a memorandum of grievances to the office of the Gauteng Premier, Treasury, and the Gauteng Department of Health. Motorists are advised to remain vigilant. Police will be deployed to the scene.
• SPRINGS – 20 JUL 2022 (15H15) UPDATE The Welgedacht Road near Slovo Park remains closed for traffic due to the ongoing protest. Motorists are advised to use alternative routes. (12H30) Demonstrations are ongoing on Welgedacht Road in Springs. Community members are demanding to be addressed by the Municipality over the electricity issues within their community. The demonstrators have barricaded the road with debris. Motorists are advised to use an alternative route. Relevant authorities are on the scene. (06H25) Protest reported on Blesbokspruit bridge, near Welgedacht Road in Slovo Park. Residents have embarked on a total shutdown due to power outages which the municipality has not resolved. Motorists are advised to use an alternative route for the duration of the protest. Police are aware of the situation.
• TEMBISA – 20 JUL 2022 (16H00) UPDATE The M18 between Rabasotho and Tembisa Hospital View remains closed to traffic due to the ongoing protest. Motorists are advised to use alternative routes. Police are on the scene. (11H50) Police are on the scene, attempting to disperse the demonstrators by firing rubber bullets. The demonstrators have expressed their dissatisfaction with high rates and electricity issues. Roads have been blocked in the area. The Ekurhuleni Metropolitan Police Department (EMPD) has further called for additional security. (07H30) Motorists have been advised to avoid the area. Ekurhuleni Metro Police Department Spokesperson Kelebogile Thipa has stated that residents have barricaded several roads in the area with burning tyres and debris. Affected routes include Andrew Mapheto Drive, Reverend RTJ Namane, Sam Molele Drive and Brian Mazibuko Drive. Thipa further added that the demonstrators are expected to convene at the Rabasotho Open Space and proceed to the OR Tambo Government precinct. (06H40) Protest reported in Tembisa near the Rabasotho Community Centre. Community members have embarked on a demonstration due to the high-cost rates. The Tembisa Community Forum and other stakeholders, including the Tembisa Neighbourhood Watch, embarked on a protest action to march to the Ekurhuleni Germiston Offices. Several roads have been affected due to the demonstration. Motorists are advised to use an alternative route and avoid the area. Police are on the scene.
• TSHWANE/ PRETORIA – 20 JUL 2022 (17H40) Public Enterprises Minister Pravin Gordhan has sent a letter to trade union Solidarity, asking for its assistance in addressing the skills shortfall at Eskom. The letter, which is addressed to Solidarity’s Chief Executive Dirk Hermann, asks if Solidarity can compile a list of engineers and technical experts to assist. In response, Hermann stated that the union has the names of experts who are willing to assist and that the group is prepared to help Eskom and the Government.
• SANDTON – 20 JUL 2022 (17H45) UPDATE President Cyril Ramaphosa is expected to announce a package of reforms to address the country’s ongoing loadshedding and power crisis in the coming days. The President stated that the Government is currently engaged in consultations with social partners to work on an integrated set of measures to add additional power to the grid in the shortest possible time. Ramaphosa also committed to reforms in several other areas to assist the business sector, including the country’s deteriorating infrastructure and transport network. (06H10) President Cyril Ramaphosa is expected to officiate at the opening of the first Black Industrialists and Exporters Conference at the Sandton International Convention Centre today, 20 July 2022, from 08H45. President Ramaphosa will deliver the keynote address during the opening session of the Conference and will tour the marketplace exhibition. The inaugural Black Industrialist and Exporters Conference will showcase the progress of government measures in promoting access and transformation of more black industrialists in the economy and the opportunities that the Africa Free Continental Trade Area (AfCTA) offers. The Black Industrialists and Exporters Conference will highlight how broad-based empowerment enables growth and job-creation strategy, specifically on the value it adds to the economy. The programme has to date, empowered over 800 black industrialists, inclusive of new entrants, women and youth in competitive industries.
SOUTH AFRICA – KWAZULU-NATAL – 20 JUL 2022
• CRAIGIEBURN – 20 JUL 2022 (06H50) Protest reported on the R197 in Craigieburn in Umkhomaas. Demonstrators have barricaded the road from Sappi in Grayleigh to Saiccor. Motorists are advised to use an alternative route. Police are on the scene.
• NEWLANDS EAST – 20 JUL 2022 (07H40) Protest reported on Centre Road outside Lakehaven Estate in Newlands East. Demonstrators have barricaded the road with burning tyres and debris. Motorists are advised to use an alternative route. Police are aware of the situation.
• DURBAN – 20 JUL 2022 (14H00) The Cooperative Governance and Traditional Affairs (COGTA) Minister, Nkosazana Dlamini Zuma, has extended the National State of Disaster to 18 August 2022. The extension of the National State of Disaster is due to the impact of severe weather events, which was originally declared on 18 April 2022. The extension takes into account the need to continue augmenting the existing contingency measures undertaken by organs of state to mitigate and address the impact of severe weather phenomena on affected communities and infrastructure. A total of 85,280 people were affected by floods in KwaZulu-Natal, leaving people in five districts and the eThekwini Municipality homeless, with 461 fatalities. Over 4,000 houses were damaged in the inclement weather, displacing thousands of others. The Eastern Cape, North West and Free State provinces were also affected.
SOUTH AFRICA – LIMPOPO – 20 JUL 2022
• POLOKWANE/ PIETERSBURG – 20 JUL 2022 (09H15) The former Mayor of Thulamela Municipality in Limpopo, Avhashoni Tshifhango and Municipal Manager Hlengani Maluleke of the Thulamela Municipality in Limpopo are expected to appear before the Polokwane Specialised Commercial Crimes Court today, 20 July 2022, for allegedly being implicated in the maladministration and corruption case of VBS Mutual Bank. Former Mayor Avhashoni Tshifhango and the suspended Municipal Manager Emmanuel Maluleke allegedly embezzled R30 million of public funds in the defunct VBS Mutual Bank. The accused have allegedly contravened the Municipal Finance Management Act.
SOUTH AFRICA – MPUMALANGA – 20 JUL 2022
• TEKWANE – 20 JUL 2022 (03H20) The Mpumalanga Premier, Refilwe Mtsweni-Tsipane, and the Minister of Public Works, Roads and Transport, will officially open the Tekwane South Bridge on Thursday, 21 July 2022. The members are set to gather at the Tekwane South Sports Ground from 10H00. This follows after the bridge collapsed due to heavy rainfall of Tropical Storm Eloise in February 2021. The bridge will connect the Tekwane South, KaNyamazane and Enrokozweni communities.
• ERMELO – 20 JUL 2022 (18H00) UPDATE The Ermelo Magistrate Court has postponed the court case to Friday, 22 July 2022. The demonstrators have dispersed. Motorists are advised to remain vigilant. (09H40) Demonstration reported outside the Ermelo Magistrate Court. The community members have gathered outside the court to demand that no bail be granted to a local farmer, Louis Grobler, who is appearing before the court today, 20 July 2022. Groblerwas arrested on 15 July 2022 in connection with attempted murder. Motorists are advised to avoid the area. Police are on the scene.
SOUTH AFRICA – NORTH WEST – 20 JUL 2022
• POTCHEFSTROOM – 20 JUL 2022 (06H25) The Minister of Labour and Employment, Thulas Nxesi and Deputy Minister Boitumelo Moloi, are expected to lead a joint inspection focusing on various sectors in Potchefstroom from today, 20 July 2022, until Friday, 22 July 2022 at the Potchefstroom Labour Centre from 08H30. The Minsters are expected to lead a team of inspectors on inspections targeting the Road freight and Logistics, Iron and Steel, and Manufacturing sectors. During inspections, a number of workplaces and trucks will be inspected. The Department will be looking for compliance with Labour Legislation such as the Occupational Health and Safety (OHS) Act, Unemployment Insurance (UI) Act, Compensation Fund (CF) Act, the Basic Conditions of Employment Act (BCEA) and the National Minimum Wage Act.
SOUTH AFRICA – NORTHERN CAPE – 20 JUL 2022
• KENHARDT – 20 JUL 2022 (08H30) A Norwegian renewable energy company Scatec ASA has commenced the construction of solar and battery power projects to supply 150 megawatts (MW) of dispatchable electricity to South Africa’s power grid. The project will have a solar power capacity of 540 MW and a battery storage capacity of 1,140MWh. This comes as Scatec is constructing three projects in the Kenhardt region of the Northern Cape under South Africa’s Risk Mitigation Independent Power Producer Procurement Programme (RMIPPPP). The project aims at a capital expenditure of approximately R16.4 billion, financed by equity from the owners and R12.4 billion in non-recourse project debt. Scatec would own 51% of the equity in the project, with H1 Holdings, its local Black Economic Empowerment partner owning 49%.
• DITSHILABELENG – 20 JUL 2022 (09H15) Protest reported on the N14 towards Kuruman. Demonstrators have blockaded the road with burning tyres and debris. Motorists are advised to use an alternative route. Relevant authorities have been deployed to the scene.
SOUTH AFRICA – WESTERN CAPE – 20 JUL 2022
• CAPE TOWN – 20 JUL 2022 (08H00) Members of the Congress of South African Trade Unions (COSATU) are scheduled to hold a media briefing today, 20 July 2022. Discussions will focus on the strike planned to take place on 04 August 2022.
• PAROW – 20 JUL 2022 (11H10) Protest reported on Voortrekker Road in Parow near Shoprite Park. Motorists are advised to remain vigilant. Police are aware of the situation.
UPCOMING EVENTS – 20 JUL 2022
• TSHWANE/ PRETORIA: South Africa is expected to host an Extra-Ordinary Summit of the Southern African Development Community (SADC) Organ Troika in Pretoria on Thursday, 21 July 2022.
• KIMBERLEY: The Sol Plaatje Municipality has announced a planned water interruption in Kimberly and surrounding areas on Thursday, 21 July 2022, from 06H00 until 18H00.
• DURBAN: The African National Congress (ANC) announced their ninth KwaZulu-Natal (KZN) conference is expected to be held on 22 July 2022 at the Olive Convention Centre.
• DURBAN: The African National Congress (ANC) in the province is expected to hold its ninth Provincial Conference from Friday, 22 July 2022, until Sunday, 24 July 2022.
• JOHANNESBURG: Protest expected at the South African Revenue Service (SARS) office on Rissik Street in Marshalltown on Friday, 22 July 2022.
• TSHWANE/ PRETORIA: President Cyril Ramaphosa is expected to host the Federal Republic of Côte d’Ivoire counterpart, President Alassane Ouattara, for a State Visit to South Africa on Friday, 22 July 2022.
• BELA BELA: The African National Congress (ANC) Regional Task Team (RTT) in the Waterberg Region is expected to convene the Regional Conference from Friday, 22 July 2022, until Sunday, 24 July 2022, at the Aventura Resort in Bela-Bela.
• JOHANNESBURG: Protest expected by South African National Civic Organization (SANCO) members on 22 July 2022.
• TEKWANE: The Mpumalanga Premier, Refilwe Mtsweni-Tsipane, and the Minister of Public Works, Roads and Transport, will officially open the Tekwane South Bridge on Thursday, 21 July 2022.
• BLOEMHOF: The Economic Freedom Fighters (EFF) in the Dr Ruth Segomotsi Mompati region is expected to hold the EFF 9th Year Anniversary Celebration on Sunday, 24 July 2022, from 10H00 at the Boitumelong Stadium.
• BLOEMFONTEIN: The Economic Freedom Fighters (EFF) is expected to celebrate its 9th Anniversary on Saturday, 30 July 2022, at the Dr Molemela Stadium from 11H00. The EFF Commander in Chief (CIC), Julius Malema, is expected to address the EFF members during the celebration.
• CAPE TOWN: Peaceful protest expected by members of the Krotoa Foundation Movement at the Department of Sport, Arts and Culture on Tuesday, 09 August 2022.
• JOHANNESBURG: Former President Jacob Zuma is expected to appear at the Constitutional Court of South Africa on Tuesday, 23 August 2022, at 10H00.
Website: www.willshir.com – 2022 ©️ Willshir & Associates
Willshir & Associates – Business Intelligence Program (JK)