- This event has passed.
20220728 1900 WILLSHIR SOUTH AFRICA TIMELINE
SOUTH AFRICA – EASTERN CAPE – 28 JUL 2022
• EAST LONDON – 28 JUL 2022 (09H20) Eastern Cape’s Public Works Member of Executive Council (MEC), Babalo Madikizela, has announced his resignation. This follows after Oscar Mabuyane had been elected as the African National Congress (ANC) Provincial Chairperson instead of Madikizela in May 2022. Following his resignation, Premier Mabuyane appointed the Department of Cooperative Governance and Traditional Affairs (Cogta) MEC Xolile Nqatha as the caretaker MEC for the Public Works and Infrastructure Department. Nqatha will preside as caretaker until a permanent replacement is appointed. Madikizela’s resignation will take effect on Friday, 29 July 2022.
• PIETERMARITZBURG – 28 JUL 2022 (10H35) Gathering reported by community members at the Pietermaritzburg Magistrates Court. The members gathered due to the court hearing of four accused suspects in the Samkelisiwe Tavern shooting. The suspects have abandoned their bail application and are requesting legal aid. The Court hearing is expected to be transferred to the High Court for the following hearing on 20 September 2022. The Police are monitoring the situation.
• GQEBERHA/ PORT ELIZABETH – 28 JUL 2022 (17H45) Opposition parties in the Nelson Mandela Bay Municipality have signed a coalition government agreement, taking the first step to oust the African National Congress (ANC)-led alliance governing the metropolitan. Parties met in Gqeberha today, 28 July 2022, for a signing ceremony to cement the agreement that took just over four months to come together. The parties have already started a petition to remove the current metropolitan leadership.
SOUTH AFRICA – FREE STATE – 28 JUL 2022
• KOFFIEFONTEIN – 28 JUL 2022 (15H00) The Municipal Manager (MM) of the Letsemeng Local Municipality has been placed on precautionary leave. The suspension of Lucas Mkhwane comes amidst pressure from Eskom over its debt accumulated over the years. The municipality has since appointed a new acting MM, Dineo Tsikang, to replace Mkhwane in the meantime. Letsemeng’s arrears have grown to R119,7 million over the past two and half years. In January 2020, Letsemeng’s arrears were said to total R41,1 million.
• BLOEMFONTEIN – 28 JUL 2022 (15H15) The court case against President Cyril Ramaphosa is expected to begin at the Bloemfontein High Court on 25 August 2022 at 08H00. This follows after the Stop Farm Murders movement led by Petrus Phakamile Sitho opened a case on 19 July 2022. The movement is calling for President Ramaphosas’s removal from office. A large gathering is expected outside the court during the proceedings.
SOUTH AFRICA – GAUTENG – 28 JUL 2022
• JOHANNESBURG – 28 JUL 2022 (10H05) Water outages expected in various areas of Gauteng from 11 August 2022. This follows Rand Water’s 53-hour project to commence at 17H00 on 11 August 2022 and conclude at 22H00 on 13 August 2022. The project has been scheduled to perform maintenance on the S4 pipeline from the Mapleton booster pump station to Van Dyk Park. Under the project, Rand Water will establish a new segment of the S4 pipeline from Van Dyk Park to Rynfield. The areas to be affected include Ekurhuleni, Tswane, Thembisile Hani, Victor Khanye, Govan Mbeki and Lesedi. Residents are advised that relevant updates will be issued as the situation progresses.
• CARLETONVILLE – 28 JUL 2022 (14H00) Police have launched an investigation into the shooting that occurred outside the Oberholzer Magistrates Court in Carletonville this morning, 28 July 2022, at 09H00. One casualty has been reported, and several others have been injured. The victim is a leader in the local taxi industry. The area has been closed off for investigation. Motorists are advised to avoid the area.
• JOHANNESBURG – 28 JUL 2022 (14H15) Protest expected at the Nasrec Expo Centre Gate 5 on Friday, 29 July 2022, from 08H00, during the African National Congress (ANC) National Policy Conference. The National Education, Health and Allied Workers Union (NEHAWU) will protest in solidarity with ANC employees for the non-payment of salaries and provident funds. The national union will also use the demonstration at the Policy Conference to call on the leadership of the ANC, through the President and Minister of Finance, to intervene in the South African Revenue Services (SARS) strike to find a lasting solution to the impasse underway at SARS. Motorists are advised to be vigilant. A heightened Police and security presence is expected.
• ROODEPOORT – 28 JUL 2022 (16H00) City Power acting Chief Executive Officer (CEO) Tshifularo Mashava confirmed the death of a technician following an electrical accident this morning, 28 July 2022, in Roodepoort. Kallie van Vuuren who is employed as a Senior Operator, was killed during an explosion on one of the Mini Substations he was working on with a colleague in Wilropark. The colleague is unharmed. The area of Wilropark experienced an outage from earlier this morning, and the two employees were working to locate the fault along Molopo Street when the switch of the Mini Substation blew up. This has delayed the repairs and restoration of electricity to the customers affected.
SOUTH AFRICA – KWAZULU-NATAL – 28 JUL 2022
• KWADUKUZA – 28 JUL 2022 (15H40) The KwaDukuza council meeting collapsed today, 28 July 2022, after clashes between councillors. The clashes occurred after the Council Speaker, Dolly Govender, attempted to gerrymander the results of a vote over sending an official from KwaDukuza Municipality to Mandeni Municipality, which would be paid by the ratepayers. A verbal shouting match between the Independent Alliance (IA) and African National Congress (ANC) then ensued, resulting in the Speaker having the IA councillor ejected. A violent altercation then broke out. This resulted in the Mayor, Lindi Nhaca, Speaker and ANC councillors leaving the building and collapsing the meeting.
• PIETERMARITZBURG – 28 JUL 2022 (16H50) Protest expected at the Pietermaritzburg Magistrate’s Court on 01 August 2022 from 10H00 by the South African National Civic Organisation (SANCO) Youth Congress. Members of SANCO will be protesting in solidarity with former President Jacob Zuma. The demonstrators are expected to close all roads heading to the court. Motorists are advised to be vigilant. Police will be deployed to the protest.
SOUTH AFRICA – LIMPOPO – 28 JUL 2022
• NEBO – 28 JUL 2022 (13H45) Peaceful protest reported at Nebo Magistrate Court by the Congress of South African Trade Unions (COSATU). Members of COSATU are protesting against the bail application of the accused in the Refiloe Malope murder case. Members of COSATU are also protesting against Gender-Based Violence and Femicide (GBVF). Motorists are advised to be vigilant.
• MOKOPANE – 28 JUL 2022 (14H45) The Mogalakwena Local Municipality stated that it had not received any formal correspondence instructing them to terminate the contracts of workers. This follows after the South African Broadcasting Corporation (SABC) reports stated that the Department of Cooperative Governance, Human Settlements and Traditional Affairs (CoGHSTA) in Limpopo has directed the municipality to terminate the appointment of more than 400 permanent workers who were allegedly irregularly appointed. Municipal Spokesperson Malesela Selokela stated that they would comment further on the matter after they are furnished with such a directive and a formal communique. The municipality recently conducted a process of verifying over 1000 employees on the personal and salary system to eliminate possible ghost workers.
SOUTH AFRICA – MPUMALANGA – 28 JUL 2022
• KOMATIPOORT – 28 JUL 2022 (12H00) UPDATE The community members have dispersed from the protest following a brief meeting with the Councillor. SAPS will remain in the area to monitor the situation. The SAPS have requested residents to report damaged property due to the protest at the SAPS Komatipoort Police Station. The public is advised to remain vigilant in the area. (11H00) Councillors have arrived on the scene with security forces to assess the situation. Additionally, the councillors meet with the community members. (07H45) Police officers have been deployed to the area. The South African Police Services (SAPS) have requested that the public remain indoors until the situation calms. Several protestors have fled into the town. (06H50) Motorists are advised to remain vigilant in the area. This follows due to reports of members throwing stones at passing vehicles on Rissik street. (05H35) Protest reported on Rissik street in Komatipoort. The residents have barricaded Rissik Street at Busco and the entrance of Orlando with burning tyres and debris. Residents are protesting due to the lack of service delivery and are demanding job opportunities, access to social facilities and the building of a High School and clinic in the town. Demonstrators are expected to hand over a petition to the Ward Councilor during the day. Police are currently monitoring the situation. Motorists are advised to use alternative routes for the duration of the protest.
• GROOTVLEI – 28 JUL 2022 (16H35) Eskom signed a letter of intent with the Netherlands Embassy on Wednesday, 27 July 2022, to collaborate on two Just Energy Transition initiatives for its Grootvlei Power Station in Mpumalanga. The collaboration, supported by the Netherlands Enterprise Agency, includes a pre-feasibility study for climate-conscious and agricultural development on the site and a sustainable approach to repurposing it. Eskom stated that the aim of the study is to determine the most applicable climate-smart, labour-intensive farming and agricultural-related repurposing opportunities for the Grootvlei Power Station. This comes after the Netherlands Embassy embarked on grant-funded agricultural-related studies at the Grootvlei station in 2021
SOUTH AFRICA – NORTH WEST – 28 JUL 2022
• POTCHEFSTROOM – 28 JUL 2022 (07H15) The South African Police Services (SAPS) have announced the death of a SAPS officer at Potchefstroom Military base. The officer is suspected of having died due to a parachute failure at the base. The officer had been part of the Special Task Force (STF) for the Police. The Police have opened an investigation into the matter.
• RUSTENBURG – 28 JUL 2022 (07H55) Protest reported by the Monnakato community on the R510 near Monnakato-A. The members have barricaded the roads with debris. Additionally, the protestors are throwing stones at passing vehicles. The South African Police Services (SAPS) are expected to monitor the situation. Motorists are advised to use alternative routes during the duration of the protest.
• MOROKWENG – 28 JUL 2022 (08H00) Protest reported by the Morokweng community at the Morokweng Primary School. The community is protesting over the poor conditions and mismanagement of the Primary school. This follows as the school has not opened from 19 July 2022. The community has started a fire outside the school. Police have been deployed to monitor the situation. The public is advised to remain vigilant in the area.
• SONOP – 28 JUL 2022 (11H20) Protest reported by members of the community at the four-way stop, Laërskool Sonop Road. The community is set to protest due to the poor service delivery in the area. Reports indicate that the members have set alight objects near the road. The South African Police Services (SAPS) are monitoring the situation. Motorists are advised to use alternative routes.
SOUTH AFRICA – NORTHERN CAPE – 28 JUL 2022
• KIMBERLEY – 28 JUL 2022 (07H25) Premier Zamani Saul is expected to launch the Northern Cape State-owned Construction Company on Monday, 01 August 2022. Premier Saul will launch the company at Mittah Seperepere Convention Centre at 14H00. The company’s launch follows the commitments Premier Saul made for the 6th administration. The department is expected to construct RDP houses for human settlements, provide training for unemployed youths and others, and Implement 30% of the provincial Government’s infrastructure project, among others.
• DANIELSKUIL – 28 JUL 2022 (16H30) UPDATE The demonstrators are barricading the road at the R31 and R385 intersection. The road is closed to traffic. The demonstrators have set alight the grassland. Motorists are advised to use alternative routes. (16H15) Protest reported on the R31 outside Danielskuil heading towards Kimberley. Demonstrators are barricading the road with rocks. Motorists are advised to use alternative routes. Police have been dispatched to the scene.
SOUTH AFRICA – WESTERN CAPE – 28 JUL 2022
• BREDASDORP – 28 JUL 2022 (10H15) Four suspects are expected to appear before the Bredasdorp Magistrate’s Court today, 28 July 2022. The suspects are facing charges of fraud and theft. The members, including a former Eskom employee and former Police officer, and two accomplices, had been arrested by the Police following an intelligence-driven search operation. During the arrest, the Police confiscated two Eskom copper cables weighing 840 kilogrammes (kg) and 624 kg. Reports indicate that the cables had been stolen from Eskom’s Customer Network Centre, Bredasdorp. The members allegedly started selling the cables in April 2021 to a local scrapyard.
• CAPE TOWN – 28 JUL 2022 (14H30) The National Union of Metalworkers of South Africa (NUMSA) is continuing with its 11th National Congress at the Cape Town Convention Centre today, 28 July 2022. The National Congress will conclude on Friday, 29 July 2022. The congress is part of NUMSA’s attempt to constitute the highest decision-making structure of the union. Motorists are advised to be vigilant.
• CAPE TOWN – 28 JUL 2022 (16H00) Protest reported on Swartklip Road between Steve Biko Road and Baden Baden Powell Drive in the vicinity of Tafelsig. Demonstrators are barricading the road. Motorists are advised to use alternative routes. Police have been dispatched to the scene.
UPCOMING EVENTS – 28 JUL 2022
• KIMBERLEY: Protest expected by members of the Congress of South African Trade Unions (COSATU) in the Northern Cape on Friday, 29 July 2022, at the Office of the Premier in Kimberley.
• JOHANNESBURG: Protest expected at the Nasrec Expo Centre Gate 5 on Friday, 29 July 2022, from 08H00, during the African National Congress (ANC) National Policy Conference.
• BLOEMFONTEIN: The Economic Freedom Fighters (EFF) is expected to celebrate its 9th Anniversary on Saturday, 30 July 2022, at the Dr Molemela Stadium from 11H00. The EFF Commander in Chief (CIC), Julius Malema, is expected to address the EFF members during the celebration.
• KIMBERLEY: Premier Zamani Saul is expected to launch the Northern Cape State-owned Construction Company on Monday, 01 August 2022.
• PIETERMARITZBURG: Protest expected at the Pietermarizburg Magistrate’s Court on 01 August 2022 from 10H00 by the South African National Civic Organisation (SANCO) Youth Congress.
• CAPE TOWN: Protest expected in the City Centre of Cape Town on Thursday, 04 August 2022.
• POLOKWANE/ PIETERSBURG: Protest expected on Friday, 05 August 2022, by the Congress of South African Trade Unions (COSATU) in Polokwane.
• SANDTON: Stay-away demonstration expected by E-Hailing operators in Gauteng on Monday, 08 August 2022.
• CAPE TOWN: Peaceful protest expected by members of the Krotoa Foundation Movement at the Department of Sport, Arts and Culture on Tuesday, 09 August 2022.
• JOHANNESBURG: Former President Jacob Zuma is expected to appear at the Constitutional Court of South Africa on Tuesday, 23 August 2022, at 10H00.
• BLOEMFONTEIN: The court case against President Cyril Ramaphosa is expected to begin at the Bloemfontein High Court on 25 August 2022 at 08H00.
Website: www.willshir.com – 2022 ©️ Willshir & Associates
Willshir & Associates – Business Intelligence Program (JK)