- This event has passed.
20220809 1900 WILLSHIR SOUTH AFRICA TIMELINE
SOUTH AFRICA – EASTERN CAPE – 09 AUG 2022
• MATATIELE – 09 AUG 2022 (16H30) UPDATE EFF leader Julius Malema has called for the removal of Eastern Cape Premier Oscar Mabuyane and his imprisonment at the Women’s Day rally at the Maluti Civic Centre today. Malema stated that Mabuyane allowed corruption to grow within the province. (11H05) Reports indicate that Commander in Chief (CIC) Julius Malema has arrived at the Maluti Civic Centre to address the community. (06H00) The Economic Freedom Fighters (EFF) are expected to hold a Women’s Day rally at the Maluti Civic Centre in Matatiele today, 09 August, from 11H00. The EFF stated that the party’s leader Julius Malema is expected to address the community members attending the rally.
SOUTH AFRICA – FREE STATE – 09 AUG 2022
• BLOEMFONTEIN – 09 AUG 2022 (08H25) Former President Jacob Zuma is expected to appear at the Supreme Court of Appeal (SCA) in Bloemfontein on Monday, 15 August 2022. During the trial, the SCA will decide on Zuma’s appeal to remove Advocate Billy Downer from prosecuting him.
• WELKOM – 09 AUG 2022 (16H30) Fire reported in the vicinity of Power Auto Spare on Power Road in Voorspoed. Motorists are advised to use alternative routes and avoid the area. Emergency services have been dispatched to the scene. The cause of the fire is unknown at this stage.
SOUTH AFRICA – GAUTENG – 09 AUG 2022
• RANDBURG – 09 AUG 2022 (01H40) Air Peace is expected to suspend its flights to Johannesburg, South Africa (SA), from 22 August 2022. The suspension follows due to the increase of Jet A1 fuel, the delay of visa issuances for SA passengers and other issues. Air Peace will resume services on 08 October 2022. This follows as Air Peace noted that they expect the situation to improve within 60 days.
• JOHANNESBURG – 09 AUG 2022 (04H05) The Democratic Alliance (DA) will table a motion of no confidence against Premier David Makhura. This follows as Makhura failed to be transparent and accountable on various reports issued. The reports include the Alexandra Renewal Project, the promised lifestyle audits of senior officials and the Personal Protective Equipment and sanitation programmes. Reports indicated R400 million missing from the school sanitation programme, among others. The DA has requested the vote to be held using a secret ballot. This follows as the DA suspects that members of the African National Congress (ANC) are not supporting Makhura.
• TSHWANE/ PRETORIA – 09 AUG 2022 (06H00) Peaceful protest expected at the Union Buildings today, 09 August 2022. Members of the Department of Sports, Arts and Culture, along with women from various law enforcement agencies in Gauteng, are expected to gather at Church Square, Pretoria Central, from 08H00. Participants are expected to march to the Union Buildings in Arcadia via Madiba Street. Local roads that are expected to be affected include Paul Kruger Street, Thabo Sehume Street, Lillian Ngoyi Street, Sisulu Street, Du Toit Street, Nelson Mandela Drive, Steve Biko Road, Hamilton Street, and Government Avenue. The march is being held in commemoration of the 09 August 1956 women’s march to the Union Buildings against the introduction of the apartheid pass laws for black women. Demonstrators are expected to disperse from the Union Buildings at 11H00. Motorists are advised of possible ground travel disruptions expected on affected routes. Tshwane Metro Police will be deployed to monitor the march.
• SANDTON – 09 AUG 2022 (09H55) Eskom announced that it submitted its proposed 2023 Tariff Restructuring Plan to the National Energy Regulator of South Africa (NERSA). Eskom stated that the fixed network charge increased to 60%, and the variable network charge was reduced to 40%. Eskom further noted that it is also proposing a change to the time-of-use structure and costs, including the new peak and low times during summer and winter, and changing how the tariffs will be charged during these times.
• JOHANNESBURG – 09 AUG 2022 (11H40) Rand Water announced that a 53-hour water interruption is scheduled from 17H00 on 11 August 2022 until 22H00 on 13 August 2022. Rand Water stated that the interruption allows technical workers to connect a new portion of pipelines to the S4 channel before the S4 can be commissioned. Rand Water stated that the following municipal customers can experience water shortages, which include the Ekhuruleni Metro, Tshwane Metro, Thembisile Municipality, Victor Khanye Municipality, Govan Mbeki Municipality and Lesedi Local Municipality. Rand Water stated that if the maintenance project needs to be extended or completed earlier, all stakeholders will be notified in time.
• SANDTON – 09 AUG 2022 (10H10) News24 Editor-in-Chief Adriaan Basson announced that News24’s inaugural On The Record Summit is expected to be held on Thursday, 01 September 2022, at the Sandton Convention Centre. Basson stated that the summit aims to discuss South Africa’s future. Basson further noted that Chief of Justice, Raymond Zondo, is expected to deliver the keynote address at the summit. Basson further noted that the summit will be attended by Eskom Chief Executive Officer (CEO) Andre De Ruyter, Minister of Energy and Minerals Gwede Mantashe, Minister of Justice Ronald Lamola, Investigating Director Head Andrea Johnson, Busi Mavuso, Johannesburg Executive Mayor Mpho Phalatse, former Public Protector Thuli Madonsela and Gift of the Givers Foundation founder Imtiaz Sooliman.
• RANDFONTEIN – 09 AUG 2022 (17H30) Gauteng Police have arrested 15 more undocumented residents at a nearby mine in Bongweni, Randfontein. This brings the total number of people who have been arrested since Monday, 08 August 2022, to 57. This follows after Police launched an anti-crime operation after community members held demonstrations to call for a complete closure of illegal mining sites in the area. Rand West City Municipal Spokesperson Tshidiso Tlharipe stated that the situation is currently calm. However, a heightened Police presence remains in the area.
SOUTH AFRICA – KWAZULU-NATAL – 09 AUG 2022
• DURBAN – 09 AUG 2022 (10H50) The eThekwini Municipality announced that the water in Pinetown is safe to use for human consumption. This follows after residents were warned not to drink water in the area after the floods that occurred in April 2022 that damaged several pipelines. The Municipality stated that water infrastructure to Pinetown has now been completed and tested, with the results proving the water is safe for human consumption.
• ESTCOURT – 09 AUG 2022 (12H25) Protest reported on the R103 in the vicinity of Estcourt. Reports indicate that demonstrators barricaded the R103 with burning tyres and debris. The demonstrators allegedly also tried to barricade the N3, but local authorities prevented them from continuing. Motorists are advised to avoid the area and use alternative routes. Local authorities are currently on scene monitoring the situation.
• RICHMOND – 09 AUG 2022 (15H20) UPDATE President Cyril Ramaphosa has called on South Africans to play their part in the fight against Gender-Based Violence and Femicide (GBVF) during his keynote address at the country’s official commemoration event today. (09H40) President Cyril Ramaphosa is expected to deliver a National Women’s Day address today, 09 August 2022, in Richmond, KwaZulu Natal. The address follows after continuing protests in Gauteng’s West Rand area following the incident that occurred last week.
• DURBAN – 09 AUG 2022 (16H45) UPDATE Dumisani Makhaye Drive is closed between Ntuzuma Main Road and Inanda Road due to the ongoing protest. Motorists are advised to use alternative routes. (16H00) Protest reported on the Dumisani Makhaye Drive after Malandela Road in the KwaMashu area. The demonstrators are barricading the road. Motorists are advised to use alternative routes. Police are on the scene.
SOUTH AFRICA – LIMPOPO – 09 AUG 2022
• POLOKWANE – 09 AUG 2022 (09H00) The Democratic Alliance (DA) political party announced the launch of an investigation into the Mayor of the Capricorn District Municipality, Mamedupi Teffo. The DA stated that the Mayor allegedly siphoned money from the communications budget in the Municipality to purchase a new Mayoral Chain worth R70,000. The DA submitted a letter to the Acting Municipal Manager to demand reasons for the purchase of the new chain.
SOUTH AFRICA – MPUMALANGA – 09 AUG 2022
• BALFOUR – 09 AUG 2022 (07H40) Mpumalanga Premier Refilwe Msthweni-Tsipane is expected to address community members at the Women’s Day event in Balfour today, 09 August 2022. Spokesperson of the Premier, Sibongile Mkani-Mpolweni, stated that during the address, Tsipane is expected to elaborate on economic revitalization initiatives and measures to intensify the fight against the high prevalence of gender-based violence (GBV).
• MIDDELBURG – 09 AUG 2022 (12H15) Protest reported by municipal employees at the Steve Tshwete Local Municipality. Reports indicate that the employees demand the Municipality abide by the agreements made to pay them according to a grade five Municipality. Motorists are advised to avoid the area for the duration of the protest. Local authorities are on the scene to monitor the situation.
SOUTH AFRICA – NORTH WEST – 09 AUG 2022
• MAHOBIESKRAAL – 09 AUG 2022 (16H50) The South African Human Rights Commission (SAHRC) announced that it is investigating the demolition of over 150 residences in Mahobieskraal, near Sun City. Residents were evicted and their houses demolished following a court order that the Bapolomiti Communal Property Association had obtained. The SAHRC stated that it infringes the homeowners’ right to shelter.
SOUTH AFRICA – NORTHERN CAPE – 09 AUG 2022
• KIMBERLEY – 09 AUG 2022 (06H50) The South African National Roads Agency (SANRAL) announced that they are expected to open a Provincial office in Kimberley. SANRAL stated that the opening of an office in Kimberley will assist them in responding to maintenance issues in the Province.
• KIMBERLEY – 09 AUG 2022 (13H45) The Democratic Alliance (DA) held a peaceful protest to mark Women’s Day outside the Kimberley Police Station today, 09 August 2022. Members of the DA have been protesting against Gender-Bases Violence (GBV). The DA National Spokesperson Siviwe Gwarube stated that R8 million has been spent protecting politicians instead of providing resources for police stations. Motorists are advised to be vigilant.
• KURUMAN – 09 AUG 2022 (14H15) The Hawks’ Serious Organized Crime Investigation Team, in collaboration with the Kuruman Blitz Patrol, Motibistad Police, and the Department of Home Affairs, is investigating a case of human trafficking in the province. The victims were lured from Gauteng to Kuruman under false pretences. The victims were lured to Kuruman with the promise of training, accommodation and meals, including payment. However, upon their arrival, this was not the case, and preliminary investigations found that the group consisted of 44 persons, including 9 women and 35 men. The investigation is ongoing, with arrests expected soon.
SOUTH AFRICA – WESTERN CAPE – 09 AUG 2022
• CAPE TOWN – 09 AUG 2022 (06H00) Peaceful protest expected by members of the Krotoa Foundation Movement at the Department of Sport, Arts and Culture today, 09 August 2022. The demonstrators are expected to protest to demand the renaming of the Cape Town International Airport to Krotoa International Airport. The demonstrators are expected to hand over a memorandum of demand. Motorists are advised to be vigilant. Police will be deployed to the area.
• KNYSNA – 09 AUG 2022 (06H00) The Economic Freedom Fighters (EFF) are expected to hold a Women’s Day rally at the Khayelitsha Community Hall in Knysna today, 09 August 2022, from 12H00. The EEF stated that the rally aims to motivate women to take a stand against gender-based violence (GBV).
• CAPE TOWN – 09 AUG 2022 (14H50) Police Minister Bheki Cele has vowed to meet with long-distance bus companies and the taxi industry amid concerns of violence, extortion and intimidation. The long-distance bus industry warned that the attacks were becoming increasingly violent and sophisticated. Cele stated that the Police are considering increasing the number of Police officers on highways. The Intercape bus company last week briefed the Western Cape legislature’s standing committee on transport. At the briefing, it was revealed that Police had made no arrests in the nine cases of violence and intimidation, which were reported by the long-distance industry by April 2021.
UPCOMING EVENTS – 09 AUG 2022
• RUSTENBURG: The Economic Freedom Fighters (EFF) political party announced their Women’s Day Commemoration is expected to be held on Thursday, 11 August 2022, at 10H00 at the Rustenburg Civic Centre.
• JOHANNESBURG: Rand Water announced that a 53-hour water interruption is scheduled from 17H00 on 11 august 2022 until 22H00 on 13 August 2022.
• VEREENIGING: President Cyril Ramaphosa is expected to lead a District Development Model (DDM) Presidential Imbizo on Friday, 12 August 2022, at 10H00 at the Sharpeville Cricket Pitch next to George Thabe Stadium, Sedibeng.
• TSHWANE/ PRETORIA: Protest expected by the Young Communist League (YCL) together with the Congress of South African Trade Unions (COSATU) on Friday, 12 August 2022, at the Union Buildings.
• JOHANNESBURG: Protest expected in Zone 16 of Johannesburg by members of the African National Congress (ANC) on 13 August 2022.
• BLOEMFONTEIN: Former President Jacob Zuma is expected to appear at the Supreme Court of Appeal (SCA) in Bloemfontein on Monday, 15 August 2022.
• BRAKPAN: The South African Police Services (SAPS) is expected to host a community meeting on Tuesday, 16 August 2022.
• JOHANNESBURG: Former President Jacob Zuma is expected to appear at the Constitutional Court of South Africa on Tuesday, 23 August 2022, at 10H00.
• BLOEMFONTEIN: The court case against President Cyril Ramaphosa is expected to begin at the Bloemfontein High Court on 25 August 2022 at 08H00.
• SANDTON: News24 Editor-in-Chief Adriaan Basson announced that News24’s inaugural On The Record Summit is expected to be held on Thursday, 01 September 2022, at the Sandton Convention Centre.
• PIETERMARITZBURG: Pietermaritzburg High Court Judge Pieter Koen announced that former President Jacob Zuma’s trial has been postponed until 17 October 2022.
Website: www.willshir.com – 2022 ©️ Willshir & Associates
Willshir & Associates – Business Intelligence Program (JK)