- This event has passed.
20220811 1000 WILLSHIR SOUTH AFRICA TIMELINE
SOUTH AFRICA – EASTERN CAPE – 11 AUG 2022
- GQEBERHA/ PORT ELIZABETH – 10 AUG 2022 (19H00) Protest reported at the Perseverance Road and R367 intersection in the vicinity of Despatch. Community members from the informal settlement are barricading the road with burning tyres and debris. The demonstrators are also throwing stones at vehicles in the area. Demonstrators are protesting against service delivery issues. Motorists are advised to avoid the area and use alternative routes. Authorities have been dispatched to the scene.
SOUTH AFRICA – FREE STATE – 11 AUG 2022
- BLOEMFONTEIN – 10 AUG 2022 (19H45) The Speaker of the Mangaung Metropolitan Municipality and seven other members of the council have allegedly been served with letters from the African National Congress (ANC) with the intention to expel them. The Disciplinary Committee of the ANC Interim Regional Committee (IRC) in the region allegedly intends to expel Stefanie Lockman-Naidoo and Patrick Monyakoane, amongst others. The ANC’s IRC Spokesperson, Ncamisa Ngxangisa, stated that they were served with these letters as they allegedly voted with opposition members and defied party orders in council. This is the second time the ANC has announced action against Lockman-Naidoo and Monyakoane within six months.
- WINBURG – 10 AUG 2022 (20H35) Protest reported on the N1 near Makeleketla in Winburg. Demonstrators are barricading the road. Motorists are advised to use alternative routes and avoid the area. Police are on the scene.
SOUTH AFRICA – GAUTENG – 11 AUG 2022
- CENTURION – 10 AUG 2022 (19H15) AfriForum has requested that the Minister of the Interior, Aaron Motsoaledi, clarify the process followed with the deployment of border guards under the management of the Border Management Authority (BMA). According to AfriForum, the relevant legislation, in relation to the Border Management Act, which will empower the Department of Home Affairs and the GBO to deploy these guards, has not yet been published in the Government Gazette. Despite the fact that this legislation is not yet in place, the GBO guards have been deployed to various border areas and have actively stopped and searched vehicles and are also equipped with firearms. AfriForum is also concerned about the training these guards received as well as the manner in which the guards were obtained.
- SANDTON – 11 AUG 2022 (01H40) Eskom has announced a planned power outage in the Gauteng area today, 11 August 2022. The power supply will be disrupted between 05H00 and 09H00 to avoid an overload of the electrical network. The affected areas include various areas within Diepsloot, Soweto and West Rand. Residents are advised that relevant updates will be issued as the situation progresses.
- ROODEPOORT – 11 AUG 2022 (03H15) UPDATE The technicians have completed their investigations. The investigations indicated that the power outage followed due to the theft of power cables at the substation. Technicians have replaced the cables and power has been restored. (01H00) Power outage reported in the Wilgeheuwel area. No reason has been provided for the power disruption. The affected areas include Sjampanje street, Teletso street, Vintage street, Merlot Close street and Cabernet street. City Power Johannesburg has deployed technicians to investigate the cause of the outage. Residents are advised that relevant updates will be issued as the situation progresses.
- ROODEPOORT – 11 AUG 2022 (06H40) Protest reported in Matholesville. Reports indicate that demonstrators barricaded Main Reef Road, Van Wyk Street and Albertina Sisulu Road with burning tyres and debris. Demonstrators are protesting due to an increase in criminal activities by the Zama Zama’s in the area. Demonstrators are demanding the deployment of the military in the area. Motorists are advised to avoid the area. Local authorities are currently on the scene to monitor the situation.
- JOHANNESBURG – 11 AUG 2022 (07H50) Member of Executive Council (MEC) Jacob Mamabolo is expected to launch the construction of the K174/Vaal River Link Road today, 11 August 2022. Mamabolo stated that once the road has been completed, it will improve the congestion in the area and add additional access routes to areas in the vicinity.
- JOHANNESBURG – 11 AUG 2022 (08H00) UPDATE Reports indicate the Police started firing rubber bullets in an effort to disperse the demonstrators. Motorists are advised to still avoid the area as the demonstration is still ongoing. (06H45) Protest reported at the Pick and Pay Distribution Centre in Longmeadow. Reports indicate that demonstrators barricaded the roads around the centre with burning tyres and debris. Demonstrators are demanding a salary increase. Motorists are advised to avoid the area. Local authorities are currently on the scene to monitor the situation.
SOUTH AFRICA – KWAZULU-NATAL – 11 AUG 2022
- DURBAN – 11 AUG 2022 (06H00) Protest expected by several groups in the Durban Central Business District (CBD) tomorrow, 11 August 2022, at 08H00. Demonstrators are expected to gather at the Kwamashu Rank. Members of the Umkhonto Wesizwe, Opesa, ATDF ASA and Operation Dudula are expected to clean up the CBD area from illegal foreigners, narcotic substances, crime and unregistered businesses. The public are advised to avoid the CBD area for the duration of the protest. Local authorities have been notified and will implement the necessary safety controls.
SOUTH AFRICA – LIMPOPO – 11 AUG 2022
- TZANEEN – 10 AUG 2022 (22H25) Congress of South African Trade Unions (Cosatu) Limpopo will be hosting a meeting for the Shopsteward Councils in the five Cosatu districts today, 11 August 2022. The meeting is set to commence at 09H00. Five African National Congress (ANC) Provincial Leaders, led by Provincial Secretary Reuben Madadzhe, have been deployed to the Shopsteward Councils. During the meetings, members are set to review the manner employees comply with the Labour Relations Act, among other topics.
SOUTH AFRICA – MPUMALANGA – 11 AUG 2022
- MBOMBELA – 11 AUG 2022 (08H25) Road closure reported on the N4 in the vicinity of Ngodwana near the Sappi Mill. Reports indicate that the temporary road closure is due to a motor vehicle accident. motorists are advised to use alternative routes as clean up operations are underway.
SOUTH AFRICA – NORTH WEST – 11 AUG 2022
- LICHTENBURG – 10 AUG 2022 (20H20) Protest reported at the R52 and 12th Avenue intersection near Lichtenburg Toyota Garage. Demonstrators are barricading the road with burning tyres and debris. Motorists are advised to use alternative routes. Police have been dispatched to the scene.
- RUSTENBURG – 11 AUG 2022 (06H00) The Economic Freedom Fighters (EFF) political party announced their Women’s Day Commemoration is expected to be held on Thursday, 11 August 2022, at 10H00 at the Rustenburg Civic Centre. The EFF stated that the commemoration will be addressed by the National Chairperson of the EFF, Veronica Menta.
SOUTH AFRICA – NORTHERN CAPE – 11 AUG 2022
- KURUMAN – 10 AUG 2022 (19H00) Two suspects are expected to appear in the Kuruman Magistrate’s Court on Thursday, 11 August 2022, on charges of business robbery. Police have arrested the suspects after investigating a business burglary at a retail store that occurred on Tuesday morning, 09 August 2022. The Police recovered R600,000 worth of stolen items. The preliminary investigation indicated that the suspects gained entrance into the retail store through the roof and opened the safes. The Police seized a pickup truck used in the commission of the crime.
- MANYEDING – 10 AUG 2022 (19H25) Protest reported on the R372 at Manyeding. Demonstrators are barricading the road with burning tyres and debris. Motorists are advised to use alternative routes. Police have been dispatched to the scene.
- KIMBERLEY – 11 AUG 2022 (08H40) Road closure reported on Phakamile and Du Toitspan Road. Reports indicate that the road has been closed to allow operations for fixing potholes at the intersection. Motorists are advised to use alternative routes for the duration of the operation. The road will be reopened as soon as the operation is done.
SOUTH AFRICA – WESTERN CAPE – 11 AUG 2022
- CAPE TOWN – 10 AUG 2022 (22H05) The South African Police Services (SAPS) has established a search operation in the Delft community. This follows due to a shooting incident that occurred on 16H00 Tuesday, 09 August 2022, in Spitfire street, The Hague. Reports indicate that the civilian had been caught in a crossfire between two rival groups in the area. SAPS officers discovered the civilian and transferred her to a Hospital, where she died. The suspects have fled the area. SAPS have requested the public to provide any information leading to the suspect’s apprehension.
- CAPE TOWN – 11 AUG 2022 (04H15) Protest expected by members of the Black People’s National Crisis Committee today, 11 August 2022. The members will gather at the Cape Peninsula University of Technology (CPUT) Cape Town Campus from 11H00 until 14H00. The members will protest in solidarity with the #JusticeForHlophe movement. The South African Police Services (SAPS) are expected to deploy officers to monitor the situation. Motorists are advised to avoid the area and use alternative routes during the duration of the demonstrations.