- This event has passed.
20220812 1900 WILLSHIR SOUTH AFRICA TIMELINE
SOUTH AFRICA – EASTERN CAPE – 12 AUG 2022
• GQEBERHA/ PORT ELIZABETH – 12 AUG 2022 (02H35) Aspen Pharmacare is expected to halt the production of the COVID-19 vaccine at the Gqeberha plant from September 2022. This follows as Aspen Pharmacare had not received new orders for the Aspenovax vaccine or from Johnson & Johnson (JJ) beyond August 2022. The company signed an agreement in March 2022 to produce, price, and sell the vaccine for African markets. Without orders, Aspen will have to halt its 450 million annual vaccine production capacity. Should Aspen halt the manufacturing of vaccines, they are expected to alter operations from manufacturing vaccines to manufacturing anaesthetics. JJ is expected to respond to the issues raised by the Director of the Africa Centres for Disease Control and Prevention, John Nkengasong, and others.
• NOMGWADLA – 12 AUG 2022 (07H45) Protest reported on the R63 between King Williamstown and Dimbaza. Community members are protesting due to poor service delivery. Reports indicate that the demonstrators have barricaded the road with burning tyres and debris. Police are aware of the situation.
• GQEBERHA/ PORT ELIZABETH – 12 AUG 2022 (16H30) UPDATE The M19 has been reopened to traffic. The roadway remains covered with debris. The demonstrators have dispersed. Motorists are advised to be vigilant. (07H20) Police are on the scene on the R75 at Kwadwesi and M19 close to Perseverance. The road has been reopened to traffic. However, the R367 remains closed to traffic. Motorists are advised to remain vigilant. (20H00) Motorists are advised to remain vigilant when travelling along the R75 road near Kwadwesi. This follows reports indicating that people are throwing stones at passing vehicles. Previous demonstrations in the area have been related to poor service delivery. The South African Police Services (SAPS) are expected to deploy officers to the area.
SOUTH AFRICA – FREE STATE – 12 AUG 2022
• EDENBURG – 12 AUG 2022 (02H10) Two suspects are expected to appear before the Edenburg Magistrates Court on Monday, 15 August 2022. This follows after the South African Police Services’ (SAPS) Directorate for Priority Crime Investigation (Hawks) arrested the suspects during a joint search operation in collaboration with the Tactical Response Team, Bloemfontein. The officers arrested the suspects for being in possession of narcotics. This follows as the officers confiscated 80 Mandrax tablets worth about R4,000 from the suspects.
• WINBURG – 12 AUG 2022 (11H00) UPDATE The N1 between Winburg and Bloemfontein is closed to traffic due to the ongoing protest. Motorists coming from Gauteng are alternatively advised to use the R70 at Ventersburg and then the R30 to Bloemfontein via Theunissen and Brandfort. Going towards Gauteng, take the reverse direction of the above route. The N5 between Senekal and Winburg to Theunissen is open to traffic. Police are monitoring the situation.
• WINBURG – 12 AUG 2022 (13H15) The three demonstrators arrested for public violence in Winburg are expected to appear at the Winburg Magistrate’s Court today, 12 August 2022. The demonstrators have been arrested after burning tyres on the tarred road and throwing stones at passing vehicles. The demonstrators are facing counts of contravening the Public Violence, the Criminal Amendment, and the Road Traffic Acts. The demonstrators were initially arrested for public violence and the possession of items looted from informal stores.
SOUTH AFRICA – GAUTENG – 12 AUG 2022
• JOHANNESBURG – 12 AUG 2022 (00H30) The Air Services Licensing Council has requested South African Airways (SAA) to provide the required documentation to avoid its licences from being suspended. This follows as SAA failed to comply with the Air Services Licensing Act. The Council noted that the Consumers guarantee received on 23 September 2021 had not been a fair representation of SAA’s projected cash flow. The failures include a material breach of its duties, an insufficient guaranteed amount under Regulation 6A, changes of postholders, including the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) and others, and the mismanagement of accounts. The Council provided SAA with 90 days to submit the documents, including the subscription and shareholder agreement.
• SANDTON – 12 AUG 2022 (08H40) Eskom has announced a planned implementation of load reductions from 05H00 to 19H00 today, 12 August 2022 in parts of South Africa. The affected provinces will include North West, Limpopo, Gauteng, KwaZulu-Natal, Mpumalanga and Free State. Eskom stated that it had implemented load reduction to avoid network overloading in high-density areas. Eskom also stated that it will be recruiting former senior plant managers and engineers due to the shortage of skilled personnel and engineers.
• MIDRAND – 12 AUG 2022 (09H40) Protest reported on Dane Road/ M38 in the vicinity of Rabie Ridge. Demonstrators have blockaded the road. Motorists are advised to use an alternative route. Police are aware of the situation.
• JOHANNESBURG – 12 AUG 2022 (12H20) National shutdown expected on Wednesday, 24 August 2022, by the South African Federation of Trade Unions (SAFTU). Members of SAFTU are expected to protest against the increasing cost of living, including issues around the cost of food, fuel, the energy crisis, unemployment, privatisation of state entities, high crime levels and austerity measures in government procurement. Motorists are advised to be vigilant on national and rural routes during the shutdown. Police will be dispatched to the affected area.
• VEREENIGING – 12 AUG 2022 (13H00) UPDATE President Cyril Ramaphosa is addressing communities at the Presidential Imbizo. (05H20) President Cyril Ramaphosa is expected to lead a District Development Model (DDM) Presidential Imbizo today, 12 August 2022, at 10H00. The members will gather at the Sharpeville Cricket Pitch next to George Thabe Stadium, Sedibeng. The Imbizo aims to improve service delivery in the area of Sedibeng by focusing on points raised by the community.
• TSHWANE/ PRETORIA – 12 AUG 2022 (14H10) UPDATE The Presidency Officials at the Union Buildings are receiving the memorandum of COSATU young workers. (13H20) COSATU young workers have arrived at the Union Buildings. Motorists are advised to be vigilant. (11H45) COSATU young workers are marching along Madiba street towards the Unions Building. The demonstrators are marching against youth unemployment, the energy crisis, fuel hikes, and the absorption of all contract workers across sectors of the economy. Motorists are advised to use alternative routes. (10H30) YCL and COSATU members are gathering to march to the Union Buildings. Motorists are advised to be vigilant and use alternative routes. Police are on the scene. (05H35) Protest expected by the Young Communist League (YCL) together with the Congress of South African Trade Unions (COSATU) today, 12 August 2022, at the Union Buildings. YCL spokesperson Mzwandile Thakhudi stated that during the protest, the Unions will hand over a memorandum of demands, which includes decreasing the current fuel prices and stopping the last-in-first-out system of retrenchments. The South African Police Service (SAPS) has been notified of the demonstrations.
• TSHWANE/ PRETORIA – 12 AUG 2022 (14H20) The South African Revenue Service (SARS) has announced that unions have suspended their strike at the tax body and have reported for work as the wage negotiations process continues. SARS released a statement today, 11 August 2022, that the Public Servants Association (PSA) suspended its industrial action first, and the National Education, Health, and Allied Workers Union (NEHAWU) suspended its strike on Monday, 08 August 2022. This follows after strike action caused disruptions at customs offices and branches around the country. The unions are demanding an 7% wage increase, amongst other demands.
• SOWETO – 12 AUG 2022 (17H00) The Johannesburg Metropolitan Police Department (JMPD) held an Illegal Land Invasion Operation conducted together with two private security companies at Braam Fisherville today, 12 August 2022. Information was received from the community that illegal miners, also known as Zama Zamas, who were forcefully evicted from the Westrand, Kagiso and Randfontein, were allegedly attempting to establish a new settlement in the area. Approximately 44 unoccupied galvanized zinc sheet structures were demolished and removed. There was no resistance encountered. The community welcomed the operation and the removal of the illegal structures.
• JOHANNESBURG – 12 AUG 2022 (18H15) UPDATE Four Police officers and several bystanders have been shot and injured. Police and security services are in pursuit of the suspects on foot. Motorists are advised to avoid Riverlea area. (17H40) Cash in transit (CIT) robbery reported on Jukskei Drive near Nasrec Road in Riverlea. Suspects have bombed an armoured vehicle. Motorists are advised to avoid the area. Police have been dispatched to the scene.
SOUTH AFRICA – KWAZULU-NATAL – 12 AUG 2022
• DURBAN – 12 AUG 2022 (07H40) Protest reported on the M7 Eastbound on Edwin Swales Drive towards Durban Container Park/ Bluff Road. Motorists are advised to avoid the area and use an alternative route. Police are on the scene.
• DURBAN – 12 AUG 2022 (10H45) Protest reported at the New West Secondary School in Newlands West, Durban. Learners are protesting against a decision by the Principal that learners should remain in the same class and the teachers change classes each period. Security services and Police are on the scene. The situation is currently calm.
• QINA-ABOUT – 12 AUG 2022 (11H30) UPDATE Community members are protesting in Gamalakhe-A due to poor service delivery related to electricity and water supply. Community members stated that they had been without electricity for four weeks. The residents have contacted Eskom. However, they have not received any assistance. Motorists are advised to avoid the area. (07H05) Protest reported in Gamalakhe-A near Port Shepstone. Reports indicate that the community members are barricading the road with burning tyres and debris. Motorists are advised to avoid the area and use an alternative Qinabout Road to Betania to Izotsha Road. Police have been deployed to the scene.
• DURBAN – 12 AUG 2022 (12H00) The 20 people suspected of being instigators of the July 2021 unrest are expected to appear at the Durban Magistrate’s Court today, 12 August 2022. The suspects were arrested by the Hawks on Thursday, 11 August 2022, during an operation. A heightened Police presence is reported outside the court. Supporters of the suspected instigators are gathered outside the court. Motorists are advised to be vigilant.
SOUTH AFRICA – LIMPOPO – 12 AUG 2022
• VUWANI – 12 AUG 2022 (01H40) The Collins Chabane Local Municipality has elected Shadrack Gezani Maluleke as the Mayor of the Municipality. The decision had been made during a general council meeting on Thursday, 11 August 2022. Maluleke has been elected following the death of former Mayor Moses Maluleke at his house in July 2022. Maluleke has served as the Member of the Mayoral Committee’s (MMCs) technical service division.
• GA-SEKORORO – 12 AUG 2022 (05H50) The Ministry of Police is expected to host a Ministerial Imbizo in an effort to address Gender Based Violence and Femicide (GBVF) and concerns about bullying at schools in the area. Deputy Police Minister, Cassel Mathale, will engage with the community of Maruleng on GBVF and anti-bullying today, 12 August 2022, from 10H00 at the Kanana Super Eleven Sports Ground in Belville Village, Ga-Sekororo. The Ministerial outreach program will also provide a platform to discuss and engage the Police on other identified crimes in the community area. The Imbizo will also seek to promote and improve relations between Police and the community.
• BURGERSFORT – 12 AUG 2022 (17H30) Community members around Sefateng Chrome Mine near Burgersfort held a protest today, 12 August 2022, outside the premises of the mine. The mining communities of Ga-Mampa, Ga-Phasha and Tjibeng are accusing the mine of failing to implement its social labour plans to develop the area. The mining communities also stated that local businesses are overlooked. The protesters’ spokesperson, Lesedi Maphakane, stated that Limpopo Economic Development Department, which owns about 30% shares at the mine, has not created employment opportunities. Police use rubber bullets to disperse the demonstrators.
SOUTH AFRICA – MPUMALANGA – 12 AUG 2022
• MBOMBELA/ NELSPRUIT – 12 AUG 2022 (05H40) Protest expected at the Mbombela High Court today, 12 August 2022, by the National Education, Health and Allied Workers Union (NEHAWU). Members of NEHAWU will be protesting for justice in the Tebogo Matsane Mabunda murder case. Mabunda was fatally shot by her spouse in 2020. Motorists are advised to be vigilant. Police will be deployed to High Court.
• RUSTENBURG – 12 AUG 2022 (05H45) The African National Congress (ANC) North West Provincial Conference is expected to be held at the Rustenburg Civic Centre from today, 12 August 2022, until Sunday, 14 August 2022. Motorists are advised to be vigilant during the event.
• MATSULU – 12 AUG 2022 (11H25) UPDATE COSATU members are protesting at Nkomazi Toll Plaza. The N4 remains open to traffic. Police are monitoring the situation. (05H45) Protest expected at the Nkomazi Toll Plaza today, 12 August 2022, from 10H00 until 14H00 by the Congress of South African Trade Unions (COSATU). Members of COSATU will be protesting against the high toll prices. Motorists are advised to use alternative routes. Police will be dispatched to the scene.
• MAHUSHU – 12 AUG 2022 (12H50) Cash in transit (CIT) robbery reported on Numbi Gate Road in Mahushu. The suspects used explosives on an armoured vehicle. Shots have been fired. Motorists are advised to avoid the area. Police have been dispatched to the scene.
• CAROLINA – 12 AUG 2022 (15H15) Road closure reported on the R36 between Carolina and Machado. The road is barricaded by still-standing heavy motor vehicles. Motorists are advised to use alternative routes. The reason for the protest is unknown at this stage.
SOUTH AFRICA – NORTH WEST – 12 AUG 2022
• BRITS – 12 AUG 2022 (10H55) Protest reported outside the Brits Magistrates Court. Van Velden Street is closed to traffic. Demonstrators are protesting in support of the victims’ families in the Oukasie murder case. Motorists are advised to use alternative routes. Police are on the scene.
• RUSTENBURG – 12 AUG 2022 (11H00) Automated Teller Machine (ATM) bombing reported at the Wildevy Liquor store on Wildevy Avenue, Protea Park early this morning, 12 August 2022. Suspects use explosives to open an ABSA ATM. However, the suspect failed to steal any money. Police are investigating the matter. Police Spokesperson Adele Myburgh, stated that no arrests have been made.
• BAPONG – 12 AUG 2022 (15H20) Stone-throwing reported on the N4 in Bapong near the Way Bridge. Motorists are advised to be vigilant. Police have been dispatched to the scene.
• MAHIKENG – 12 AUG 2022 (15H45) The 9th Provincial North West African National Congress (ANC) conference may be postponed, despite delegates having already started arriving in Rustenburg in the Bojanala district to participate. Infection Prevention and Control (IPC) Spokesperson Kenny Morolong stated that they will brief the media at 16H00 on logistics. The court hearing is expected to occur in Mahikeng to interdict the conference from continuing. In addition, the IPC coordinator, Hlomani Chauke, will be running for the position of Provincial Chairperson. Morolong has, however, indicated that they are expecting the conference to go ahead with no interdict.
• KLERKSDORP – 12 AUG 2022 (16H00) North West Police Spokesperson, Adele Myburgh, has confirmed that a person of interest in an alleged sexual assault case of a missing 10-year-old girl died on Wednesday, 10 August 2022, from injuries sustained during an act of vigilantism by residents. Myburgh stated that the Police have also received the results of a medical examination, and it confirmed that the child was sexually assaulted. A case of sexual assault was opened. The child was found by residents in the presence of the deceased inside his informal residence on Wednesday night after she went missing on Tuesday, 09 August 2022. The suspect was then assaulted before he was taken away by the Police. The suspect was admitted to the Tshepong Hospital in that area. The child was taken to the Thuthuzela Care Centre for a medical examination. Residents then set alight the Police vehicle of the officers that responded to the incident.
• RUSTENBURG – 12 AUG 2022 (17H30) UPDATE Motorists are advised of road closures around the Civic Centre from 18H00 today, 12 August 2022, until Sunday evening, 14 August 2022. The road closures are to provide security during the African National Congress North West Conference over the weekend. Roads that will be affected include Heystek and Job Shimankane Tabane Road, R24 at the Engen Garage, Nelson Mandela Road intersection and Shell Garage traffic light, Kloof Road and Greystone traffic light and Bodenstein Park stop sign. Motorists are advised to use alternative routes during this time. (05H45) The African National Congress (ANC) North West Provincial Conference is expected to be held at the Rustenburg Civic Centre from today, 12 August 2022, until Sunday, 14 August 2022. Motorists are advised to be vigilant during the event.
SOUTH AFRICA – NORTHERN CAPE – 12 AUG 2022
• DE AAR – 12 AUG 2022 (09H15) The Regional Chairperson of the African National Congress Youth League (ANCYL) in the Pixley ka Seme district, Andile Phololo, has voluntarily stepped down following his arrest for allegedly assaulting a person at a tavern in Colesberg on 06 August 2022. This follows after members of the African National Congress (ANC) attended Provincial Women’s Day celebrations event, and an argument erupted between an ANC Provincial Executive Committee (PEC) member and the complainant over access to seats at the tavern. Phololo intervened by allegedly assaulting the complainant. The secretary of the Umsobomvu Residents Association (URA), Abongwe Poyo, has noted that the complainant had been treated and the suspect has been charged with assault with intent to cause grievous bodily harm (GBH), and has been granted bail of R400. Puyo noted that Police investigations are ongoing. Phololo has appeared in court on 10 August 2022, where the matter was postponed until 31 August 2022 for further investigations.
SOUTH AFRICA – WESTERN CAPE – 12 AUG 2022
• CAPE TOWN – 12 AUG 2022 (02H00) The Cape Town Government has announced a planned power outage either on Sunday, 21 August 2022 or Sunday, 28 August 2022, depending on the weather. The power will be disrupted due to maintenance works on the electricity network in the area. The power will be disrupted from 07H30 until 17H30. The affected areas include Parow South, Parow East, Parow Industria and Ravensmead. Residents are advised that relevant updates will be issued as the situation progresses.
• CAPE TOWN – 12 AUG 2022 (08H50) Demonstration reported outside the Delft South African Police Station (SAPS). Members of the ActionSA political party and community members have handed over a petition to the SAPS calling for adequate resources. This follows after a minor had been killed on Tuesday, 09 August 2022, following a gang fight in the area.
• CAPE TOWN – 12 AUG 2022 (13H30) Shooting reported at the corner of Delft Main Road and Roosendaal Road in Delft. The reason for the shooting is unknown at this stage. Motorists are advised to use alternative routes and avoid the area. Police have been dispatched to the scene.
• CAPE TOWN – 12 AUG 2022 (16H15) UPDATE The Western Cape High Court has postponed the case against alleged arsonist Zandile Mafe to 02 September 2022. Mafe will remain in custody. Mafe refused to appear in court, and his legal representative claimed that he was ill and on a hunger strike. (08H30) Alleged Parliament arsonist Zandile Mafe is expected to appear before the Western Cape High Court today, 12 August 2022, for a pre-trial conference. Mafe was arrested on 02 January 2022 after being accused of alleged arson against the Parliament of South Africa. This follows after the previous trial where Mafe was served with an indictment and summary of facts by the State after it finally completed its investigations and submitted outstanding reports. Senior State Advocate, Mervyn Menigo, has stated that the indictment lists charges of housebreaking with intent to commit arson, arson, terrorism and theft.
UPCOMING EVENTS – 12 AUG 2022
• JOHANNESBURG: Protest expected in Zone 16 of Johannesburg by members of the African National Congress (ANC) on 13 August 2022.
• JOHANNESBURG: The Police and Prisons Civil Rights Union (POPCRU) is expected to hold a press conference to communicate the outcomes of its Special National Executive Committee (SNEC) meeting on Sunday, 14 August 2022, from 10H00 at the POPCRU House.
• BLOEMFONTEIN: Former President Jacob Zuma is expected to appear at the Supreme Court of Appeal (SCA) in Bloemfontein on Monday, 15 August 2022.
• DURBAN: Protest expected by the Municipal and Allied Trade Union of South Africa (MATUSA) with the South African Federation of Trade Unions (SAFTU) on Monday, 15 August 2022, from 09H00 at the King DiniZulu Park.
• BRAKPAN: The South African Police Services (SAPS) is expected to host a community meeting on Tuesday, 16 August 2022.
• CAPE TOWN: Protest expected by the Mining Affected Communities United in Action (MACUA) group on 16 August 2022 at the Parliament in Cape Town.
• CAPE TOWN: The Western Cape E-haling Association is expected to hold a stay offline protest from Wednesday, 17 August, until Thursday, 18 August 2022.
• DURBAN: The Congress of South African Trade Unions (COSATU) is expected to protest at the Provincial Police Office on Friday, 19 August 2022, from 09H00 until 11H30.
• TSHWANE/ PRETORIA: Protest expected at the Eersterust Police Station on Saturday, 20 August 2022, from 09H00 by the Rea Thusa/We Help and the Lioness Pride Movement.
• JOHANNESBURG: Former President Jacob Zuma is expected to appear at the Constitutional Court of South Africa on Tuesday, 23 August 2022, at 10H00.
• BISHO: Protest expected by the Congress of South African Trade Unions (COSATU) on 24 August 2022 at 09H00.
• JOHANNESBURG: National shutdown expected on Wednesday, 24 August 2022, by the South African Federation of Trade Unions (SAFTU).
• BLOEMFONTEIN: The court case against President Cyril Ramaphosa is expected to begin at the Bloemfontein High Court on 25 August 2022 at 08H00.
• SANDTON: News24 Editor-in-Chief Adriaan Basson announced that News24’s inaugural On The Record Summit is expected to be held on Thursday, 01 September 2022, at the Sandton Convention Centre.
• PIETERMARITZBURG: Pietermaritzburg High Court Judge Pieter Koen announced that former President Jacob Zuma’s trial has been postponed until 17 October 2022.
Website: www.willshir.com – 2022 ©️ Willshir & Associates
Willshir & Associates – Business Intelligence Program (JK)