- This event has passed.
20220826 1000 WILLSHIR SOUTH AFRICA TIMELINE
SOUTH AFRICA – EASTERN CAPE – 26 AUG 2022
- ALIWAL NORTH – 26 AUG 2022 (06H00) Protest expected at Takalani FM in Aliwal North, Joe Gqabi region today, 26 August 2022, from 11H00. Members of the Economic Freedom Fighters (EFF) will be protesting against Gender Based Violance and Femicide (GBVF). Deputy Secretary General, Poppo Mailola will lead the march. Motorists are advised to be vigilant. Police will monitor the march.
SOUTH AFRICA – FREE STATE – 26 AUG 2022
- BLOEMFONTEIN – 25 AUG 2022 (19H30) Deputy President David Mabuza held engagements with Traditional and Khoisan leaders in the Free State province today, 25 August 2022. Traditional and Khoisan leaders gathered at the President Hotel in Bloemfontein in a bid to address their challenges with Deputy President David Mabuza. Mabuza met with the group in his capacity as the Chairperson of the Inter-Ministerial Task Team organised by President Cyril Ramaphosa. The meeting was part of engagements to find solutions to challenges faced by rural communities. The Chairperson of the Free State House of Traditional and Khoisan Leaders, Neo Mopeli stated that most traditional leaders in the Free State do not have land, and those who do, say it is not enough to accommodate everyone.
SOUTH AFRICA – GAUTENG – 26 AUG 2022
- JOHANNESBURG – 25 AUG 2022 (18H45) Business robbery reported at Alex Shopping Centre in the Birch Arches area. Armed suspects robbed a supermarket. A security officer has been shot. Motorists are advised to avoid the area. Police have been dispatched to the scene.
- TSHWANE/ PRETORIA – 25 AUG 2022 (19H40) The Department of Justice and Correctional Services has amended the Child Justice Act by raising the age of criminal incapacity in South Africa. The minimum age of criminal incapacity was previously ten years. Department of Justice spokesperson Chrispin Phiri stated that the amendment follows discussions with the United Nations. Children below the minimum age of criminal capacity of twelve years may no longer be arrested or charged by the South African Police and may also not be prosecuted for the commission of a criminal offence. Such children, who may have committed crimes, must be dealt with outside of the criminal justice system by social workers who may refer the child to a children’s court for their direction. The state will therefore have to prove their criminal capacity beyond reasonable doubt in a child justice court.
SOUTH AFRICA – KWAZULU-NATAL – 26 AUG 2022
- EMPANGENI – 26 AUG 2022 (00H55) Protest expected by the Inkatha Freedom Party (IFP), KwaZulu-Natal (KZN), today, 26 August 2022. The members will gather on Empangeni’s Main Road, Central park intersection, from 09H00 and march to the Empangeni Police station. Following the march, the members will deliver a memorandum to Police Minister Bheki Cele through the KZN Provincial Commissioner, Lieutenant General Nhlanhla Mkhwanazi. The members are protesting against crime and violence toward women and children. This follows after the release of the 2022/23 first quarter crime statistics. The South African Police Services (SAPS) have been notified of the event. Motorists are advised to use alternative routes during the duration of the march.
- PIETERMARITZBURG – 26 AUG 2022 (06H30) Protest reported on Edendale Road. Reports indicate that the demonstrators barricaded the road with burning tyres and debris. The reason for the protest remains unknown, although previous demonstrations were related to poor service delivery in the area. Motorists are advised to use alternative routes for the duration of the protest. Local authorities are currently on the scene to monitor the situation.
- PIETERMARITZBURG – 26 AUG 2022 (07H25) The Comrades Marathon Association (CMA) has announced a planned road closure from midnight on Saturday, 27 August 2022, until 09H30 on Sunday, 28 August 2022, from Pietermaritzburg to Durban for the 95th Comrades Marathon. The Ultimate Human Race is scheduled to take place on Sunday. CMA Race Director, Rowyn James, has stated that motorists travelling to Durban are advised to travel earlier, around 03H00, to avoid traffic congestion. Further, members of the public are advised to take note that the spectator spots and associated parking areas at Lynnfield Park, Umlaas Road and Camperdown will be out of bounds on race day due to the roadworks. The affected road closures will include Chief Albert Luthuli Road, Alan Paton, N3 Freeway, Polly Shortts, Ashburton, N3 Lion Park, Umlaas, Camperdown, Cato Ridge town area, Eddie Hagan, Thousand Hills Drive, Halfway, Alverstone, and several other roads leading to the Moses Mabhida Stadium on Samora Machel and Masabalala Yengwa (NMR) Avenue.
- HLUHLUWE – 26 AUG 2022 (07H55) Protest reported on Hluhluwe Park Memorial Gate Road. Reports indicate that the demonstrators barricaded the road with burning tyres and debris. The reason for the protest remains unknown, although previous demonstrations were related to poor service delivery in the area. Motorists are advised to avoid the area and use alternative routes. Local authorities have been dispatched to the area to monitor the situation.
- ESTCOURT – 26 AUG 2022 (09H05) Protest reported on the R103 in the vicinity of Estcourt. Reports indicate that demonstrators barricaded the road with burning tyres and debris. The reason for the protest remains unknown, although previous demonstrations were related to poor service delivery in the area. Motorists are advised to use alternative routes for the duration of the protest. Local authorities are currently on the scene to monitor the situation.
SOUTH AFRICA – LIMPOPO – 26 AUG 2022
- HOEDSPRUIT – 25 AUG 2022 (20H00) Spokesperson for the Department of Public Works, Roads and Infrastructure in Limpopo, Witness Tiva, announced plans to address the dilapidated road infrastructure in the Hoedspruit area, including the R530, R527, and D21 roads as well as the Eastgate Airport road. This follows a complaint raised by the Democratic Alliance (DA) in Limpopo. The DA has written to the Member of Executive Council (MEC) for Public Works, Roads and Infrastructure, Nkakareng Rakgaole, to urgently address the state of the roads. Meanwhile, Tiva stated that the Department has already identified about five roads that are being prioritised for rehabilitation and patching of potholes in the area.
- MALAMULELE – 26 AUG 2022 (01H40) The bail hearing for the two suspects involved in the murder case of Collins Chabane Mayor Moses Maluleke has been postponed to today, 26 August 2022. This follows after the suspects abandoned their bid for bail after their arrests on August 2022. However, during their Court appearance at the Malamulele Magistrate Court on Thursday, 25 August 2022, the suspects requested to be released from custody pending their criminal case. The bail application has been postponed to Friday, 26 August 2022, by the National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) to rectify Avhatakali Isaac Mudau’s affidavit. The suspects are being charged with murder, attempted murder, conspiracy to commit murder, robbery with aggravating circumstances, and possessing an unlicensed firearm.
- LEPHALALE – 26 AUG 2022 (06H00) Protest expected at the Lephalale Police Station today, 26 August 2022. Members of the Economic Freedom Fighters (EFF) Waterberg Region will protest against Gender-Based Violence and Femicide (GBVF). The demonstrators will assemble at Lephalale Clinic at 10H00. Motorists are advised to be vigilant for the duration of the march. Police will be dispatched.
SOUTH AFRICA – MPUMALANGA – 26 AUG 2022
- MBOMBELA/ NELSPRUIT – 25 AUG 2022 (19H15) The 39-year-old murder suspect in the Hillary Gardee murder case appeared in the Nelspruit Magistrate’s Court today, 25 August 2022. Rassie Nkuna is facing charges including conspiracy to commit murder, murder, sexual assault, defeating the ends of justice, kidnapping as well as possession of an unlicensed firearm and ammunition. Police recently confirmed that the suspect had confessed to being part of the group that murdered Gardee. The suspect was remanded in police custody. The suspect will be joining the three other accused, Sipho Mkhathswa, Philemon Lukhele and Mduduzi Gama, in court on 09 September 2022.
- KRANSPOORT VAKANSIEDORP – 25 AUG 2022 (21H30) The N11 between Middelburg and Groblersdal, Kranspoort has been reopend. This followed after a motor vehicle accident involving a BMW and a truck at 08H00 on Thursday, 25 August 2022. The BMW driver died during the incident, and a passenger had been injured. The injured passenger had been transferred to a hospital for treatment. Motorists are advised to remain vigilant in the area and decrease their speed as the roads are still smooth.
- MIDDELBURG – 26 AUG 2022 (08H25) Cooperative Governance Member of Executive Council (MEC) Mandla Ndlovu is expected to meet with the Steve Tshwete Municipal Council today, 26 August 2022. Ndlovu stated that during the meeting, they are expected to discuss the matters raised by employees to elect a constitutional structure which represents them to resolve grievances around the grading system of the Municipality. Ndlovu further noted that an acting municipal manager (MM) will be appointed after employees demanded the removal of Thokozile Zulu, the current MM. Ndlovu noted that the council will also discuss the removal of the security firm protecting municipal buildings after security officials fatally shot two employees last week.
SOUTH AFRICA – NORTH WEST – 26 AUG 2022
- MAHIKENG – 25 AUG 2022 (19H00) The North West High Court in Mahikeng has dismissed, with costs, an urgent application by African National Congress (ANC) members who were seeking relief to declare the 9th ANC provincial conference unlawful. The party members had served both the ANC’s National Executive Committee as well as the newly-elected provincial officials with court papers. The ANC members were challenging the outcome of the provincial conference, whose legitimacy they are questioning.
SOUTH AFRICA – NORTHERN CAPE – 26 AUG 2022
- KIMBERLEY – 26 AUG 2022 (08H55) The Kharas Regional Council embarked on a two-day working visit to the Nothern Cape Province. The Acting Chief Regional Officer for Kharas, Bennie Diergaardt, stated that the two regions discussed ways of enhancing bilateral relations between them in the field of trade and logistics, renewable energy, cultural exchanges, sports, tourism and business exhibitions.
SOUTH AFRICA – WESTERN CAPE – 26 AUG 2022
- CAPE TOWN – 25 AUG 2022 (19H45) Shooting reported on Vulindlela Street in the Lwandle area. Motorists are advised to use alternative routes and avoid the area. Police have been dispatched to the scene.
- PLETTENBERG BAY – 25 AUG 2022 (22H25) Two suspects are expected to appear before the Plettenberg Bay Magistrate Court on Friday, 26 August 2022. The members had been arrested by the Kwanokuthula Police, in collaboration with the Garden Route Flying Squad, Plettenberg Bay Crime Prevention unit and local security officers in the Qolweni area on Wednesday, 24 August 2022, at about 11H30. However, during the arrest, a suspect fled the scene. The suspects had been arrested following a robbery incident at a Spaza shop, Gqamlana Street, at 11H00. Reports indicate that three suspects entered the shop and stole two cell phones and an undisclosed amount of cash. The Police confiscated a 9 millimetre (mm) handgun with 15 rounds of live ammunition, a replica firearm and a Volkswagen Jetta. The 9mm firearm has been transferred to the South African Police Service (SAPS) laboratory for ballistic tests to determine whether it had been involved in additional criminal activities.
- WORCESTER – 25 AUG 2022 (22H55) Shooting reported on Mayinjana Street near the Zweletemba area. South African Police Services (SAPS) have been notified of the incident and are expected to deploy officers. The public is advised to avoid the area.
- CAPE TOWN – 26 AUG 2022 (01H00) Fire reported at an unidentified factory on Spin street, Parow Industrial. The reason for the fire is unknown at this stage. Emergency services have been deployed to the area to extinguish the fire. Additionally, the deployed officers are expected to launch investigations to determine the cause of the fire. The public is advised to avoid the area.
- CAPE TOWN – 26 AUG 2022 (09H20) Protest expected at the Cape Town International Civic Centre (CTICC) today, 26 August 2022, at 11H30. Reports indicate that the demonstrators will be protesting against Seismic Blasting and Oil and Gas Exploration and Extraction. Motorists are advised to avoid the area for the duration of the protest. Local authorities will be deployed to monitor the situation.
UPCOMING EVENTS – 26 AUG 2022
- JOHANNESBURG: Operation Dudula announced that they are expected to launch branches in various areas in South Africa on 27 August 2022.
- RUSTENBURG: The African National Congress (ANC) 9th Provincial Conference is expected to resume on Saturday, 27 August 2022, until Sunday, 28 August 2022.
- SANDTON: News24 Editor-in-Chief Adriaan Basson announced that News24’s inaugural On The Record Summit is expected to be held on Thursday, 01 September 2022, at the Sandton Convention Centre.
- THOHOYANDOU: Protest expected at the Tshilidzini Hosptial on Friday, 02 September 2022.
- SOWETO: The Mayor of Johannesburg, Mpho Phalatse, announced that he is expected to meet residents of Soweto on Saturday, 10 September 2022.
- GQEBERHA/ PORT ELIZABETH: Peaceful protest expected at Hobie Beach on Saturday, 17 September 2022, from 14H00.
- VEREENIGING: Peaceful protest expected at the Vereeniging Police Station on Saturday, 08 October 2022, from 12H00.
- PIETERMARITZBURG: Pietermaritzburg High Court Judge Pieter Koen announced that former President Jacob Zuma’s trial has been postponed until 17 October 2022.