- This event has passed.
20220826 1900 WILLSHIR SOUTH AFRICA TIMELINE
SOUTH AFRICA – EASTERN CAPE – 26 AUG 2022
• ALIWAL NORTH – 26 AUG 2022 (06H00) Protest expected at Takalani FM in Aliwal North, Joe Gqabi region today, 26 August 2022, from 11H00. Members of the Economic Freedom Fighters (EFF) will be protesting against Gender-Based Violance and Femicide (GBVF). Deputy Secretary General, Poppo Mailola will lead the march. Motorists are advised to be vigilant. Police will monitor the march.
• DESPATCH – 26 AUG 2022 (14H20) UPDATE Police have dispersed the demonstrators on the R75 opposite Joe Slovo informal settlement. The Police and Fire Department have cleared the road. Motorists are advised to remain vigilant. Police continue to monitor the situation. (12H50) Protest reported on the R75 in the vicinity of Despatch. Reports indicate that demonstrators are barricading the road with burning tyres and debris. The reason for the protest remains unknown, although previous demonstrations were related to service delivery issues. Motorists are advised to use alternative routes for the duration of the protest. Local authorities are on the way to the scene to monitor the situation.
SOUTH AFRICA – FREE STATE – 26 AUG 2022
• WELKOM – 26 AUG 2022 (10H10) Road closure reported at Arrarat road and Jan Hofmeyer road intersection. Reports indicate that a robbery occurred at a local shopping centre, whereafter, the suspects drove into the circle at the intersection and fled the scene. Motorists are advised to avoid the area as clean-up operations are underway. Local authorities are also on the scene.
• BLOEMFONTEIN – 26 AUG 2022 (18H00) The Congress of the South African Trade Unions (COSATU) has raised concerns regarding Free State Municipalities that deduct monies from employees. However, fail to pay those monies over to the pension fund and medical aid. The former Municipal Manager (MM) and acting Chief Financial Officer (CFO) of the Masilonyana Municipality had previously appeared at the Commercial Crimes Court in Virginia on fraud and corruption allegations involving workers’ pension funds, valued at R10 million. A total of 15 municipalities, including the Masilonyana, Matjhabeng, and Maluti-A-Phofung, are being investigated by the Hawks.
SOUTH AFRICA – GAUTENG – 26 AUG 2022
• JOHANNESBURG – 26 AUG 2022 (11H30) Transnet announced that its negotiations with the South African Transport and Allied Workers Union (SATAWU) and the United National Transport Union (UNTU) ended in a deadlock after negotiations started in May 2022. Transnet stated that the unions rejected its offer of a 1,5% increase on employees’ salaries, excluding medical and housing allowances. Transnet further noted that the unions demand a 12% increase, as well as other demands that add to a total of 21% increase in labour costs. Transnet stated that they are expected to meet with the unions again within the next 30 days. However, if no agreement is reached by then, the labour department will go through a balloting process, where members will mandate whether employees can embark on a protected industrial action or not.
• JOHANNESBURG – 26 AUG 2022 (16H50) Protest expected on Tuesday, 20 September 2022, by the Police and Prisons Civil Rights Union (POPCRU). Members of POPCRU with the South African Police Service, Correctional Services, Traffic Departments and other law enforcement agencies will embark on a national march for improved working conditions. Motorists are advised to be vigilant during the national march. Public Order Police will be deployed to monitor the event.
• JOHANNESBURG – 26 AUG 2022 (18H20) The National Prosecution Authority (NPA) has seized assets belonging to the former acting National Commissioner of Police, Khomotso Phahlane, Deputy National Police Commissioner, Bonang Mgwenya, and other co-accused following a court order. The National Prosecuting Authority’s Asset Forfeiture Unit and Investigating Directorate (ID) seized properties in Sandton, Pretoria, Boksburg, Springs, and Sasolburg. The Gauteng High Court in Johannesburg granted the order on Thursday, 18 August 2022 and identified assets worth R75 million. The seized assets include 19 immovable properties and around 115 vehicles, including three trucks. Investigations are ongoing to trace more assets. The accused are facing charges of fraud, corruption and forgery in relation to the irregular procurement of emergency lights valued at R60 million.
SOUTH AFRICA – KWAZULU-NATAL – 26 AUG 2022
• EMPANGENI – 26 AUG 2022 (00H55) Protest expected by the Inkatha Freedom Party (IFP), KwaZulu-Natal (KZN), today, 26 August 2022. The members will gather on Empangeni’s Main Road, Central park intersection, from 09H00 and march to the Empangeni Police station. Following the march, the members will deliver a memorandum to Police Minister Bheki Cele through the KZN Provincial Commissioner, Lieutenant General Nhlanhla Mkhwanazi. The members are protesting against crime and violence toward women and children. This follows after the release of the 2022/23 first quarter crime statistics. The South African Police Services (SAPS) have been notified of the event. Motorists are advised to use alternative routes during the duration of the march.
• PIETERMARITZBURG – 26 AUG 2022 (06H30) Protest reported on Edendale Road. Reports indicate that the demonstrators barricaded the road with burning tyres and debris. The reason for the protest remains unknown, although previous demonstrations were related to poor service delivery in the area. Motorists are advised to use alternative routes for the duration of the protest. Local authorities are currently on the scene to monitor the situation.
• PIETERMARITZBURG – 26 AUG 2022 (07H25) The Comrades Marathon Association (CMA) has announced a planned road closure from midnight on Saturday, 27 August 2022, until 09H30 on Sunday, 28 August 2022, from Pietermaritzburg to Durban for the 95th Comrades Marathon. The Ultimate Human Race is scheduled to take place on Sunday. CMA Race Director, Rowyn James, has stated that motorists travelling to Durban are advised to travel earlier, around 03H00, to avoid traffic congestion. Further, members of the public are advised to take note that the spectator spots and associated parking areas at Lynnfield Park, Umlaas Road and Camperdown will be out of bounds on race day due to the roadworks. The affected road closures will include Chief Albert Luthuli Road, Alan Paton, N3 Freeway, Polly Shortts, Ashburton, N3 Lion Park, Umlaas, Camperdown, Cato Ridge town area, Eddie Hagan, Thousand Hills Drive, Halfway, Alverstone, and several other roads leading to the Moses Mabhida Stadium on Samora Machel and Masabalala Yengwa (NMR) Avenue.
• HLUHLUWE – 26 AUG 2022 (07H55) Protest reported on Hluhluwe Park Memorial Gate Road. Reports indicate that the demonstrators barricaded the road with burning tyres and debris. The reason for the protest remains unknown, although previous demonstrations were related to poor service delivery in the area. Motorists are advised to avoid the area and use alternative routes. Local authorities have been dispatched to the area to monitor the situation.
• ESTCOURT – 26 AUG 2022 (09H05) Protest reported on the R103 in the vicinity of Estcourt. Reports indicate that demonstrators barricaded the road with burning tyres and debris. The reason for the protest remains unknown, although previous demonstrations were related to poor service delivery in the area. Motorists are advised to use alternative routes for the duration of the protest. Local authorities are currently on the scene to monitor the situation.
• DURBAN – 26 AUG 2022 (15H20) Shooting reported at the Cross Street and Gladys Mazibuko Road intersection in Greyville. The Police intercepted a cash-in-transit (CIT) robbery and ensued after the suspects. One suspect has been injured. Motorists are advised to use alternative routes and avoid the area. Police are on the scene. The roads are closed for investigation.
SOUTH AFRICA – LIMPOPO – 26 AUG 2022
• MALAMULELE – 26 AUG 2022 (01H40) The bail hearing for the two suspects involved in the murder case of Collins Chabane Mayor Moses Maluleke has been postponed to today, 26 August 2022. This follows after the suspects abandoned their bid for bail after their arrests on August 2022. However, during their Court appearance at the Malamulele Magistrate Court on Thursday, 25 August 2022, the suspects requested to be released from custody pending their criminal case. The bail application has been postponed to Friday, 26 August 2022, by the National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) to rectify Avhatakali Isaac Mudau’s affidavit. The suspects are being charged with murder, attempted murder, conspiracy to commit murder, robbery with aggravating circumstances, and possessing an unlicensed firearm.
• LEPHALALE – 26 AUG 2022 (06H00) Protest expected at the Lephalale Police Station today, 26 August 2022. Members of the Economic Freedom Fighters (EFF) Waterberg Region will protest against Gender-Based Violence and Femicide (GBVF). The demonstrators will assemble at Lephalale Clinic at 10H00. Motorists are advised to be vigilant for the duration of the march. Police will be dispatched.
SOUTH AFRICA – MPUMALANGA – 26 AUG 2022
• MIDDELBURG – 26 AUG 2022 (08H25) Cooperative Governance Member of Executive Council (MEC) Mandla Ndlovu is expected to meet with the Steve Tshwete Municipal Council today, 26 August 2022. Ndlovu stated that during the meeting, they are expected to discuss the matters raised by employees to elect a constitutional structure which represents them to resolve grievances around the grading system of the Municipality. Ndlovu further noted that an acting municipal manager (MM) will be appointed after employees demanded the removal of Thokozile Zulu, the current MM. Ndlovu noted that the council will also discuss the removal of the security firm protecting municipal buildings after security officials fatally shot two employees last week.
• MIDDELBURG – 26 AUG 2022 (11H15) Eskom announced the implementation of load reduction in the Mpumalanga District today, 26 August 2022, from 17H00 until 19H00. Eskom stated that the following districts affected will be eHlanzeni and Nkangala. Eskom stated that the load reduction will be implemented during these peak hours to prevent network overloading that can damage mini-substations in the areas.
SOUTH AFRICA – NORTH WEST – 26 AUG 2022
• LICHTENBURG – 26 AUG 2022 (12H05) Provincial leaders from the African National Congress (ANC) visited the Ditsobotla Local Municipality to discuss issues the Municipality faces. The ANC instructed Mayor Stockie Mokgothu to resolve issues in the Municipality within seven days with the council. The Municipality currently faces the challenges of having two Mayors, two Speakers and two Municipal Managers. Mokgothu stated that the challenges arose from having a divided council. Mokgothu stated that within the next seven days, the council will elect one Mayor, one Speaker and 1 Municipal Manager.
SOUTH AFRICA – NORTHERN CAPE – 26 AUG 2022
• KIMBERLEY – 26 AUG 2022 (08H55) The Kharas Regional Council embarked on a two-day working visit to the Nothern Cape Province. The Acting Chief Regional Officer for Kharas, Bennie Diergaardt, stated that the two regions discussed ways of enhancing bilateral relations between them in the field of trade and logistics, renewable energy, cultural exchanges, sports, tourism and business exhibitions.
• KIMBERLEY – 26 AUG 2022 (12H40) The Northern Cape Department of Health announced that assessments are underway at the Hendrietta Stockdale Nursing College for the improvement of infrastructure at the college. This follows after students protested at the college on Tuesday, 23 August 2022, to raise concerns about poor infrastructure and inadequate resources. The Department stated that after the assessors conclude their assessment, they will report back to the Department, and a date can then be scheduled for construction work to begin.
SOUTH AFRICA – WESTERN CAPE – 26 AUG 2022
• CAPE TOWN – 26 AUG 2022 (01H00) Fire reported at an unidentified factory on Spin street, Parow Industrial. The reason for the fire is unknown at this stage. Emergency services have been deployed to the area to extinguish the fire. Additionally, the deployed officers are expected to launch investigations to determine the cause of the fire. The public is advised to avoid the area.
• CAPE TOWN – 26 AUG 2022 (09H20) Protest expected at the Cape Town International Civic Centre (CTICC) today, 26 August 2022, at 11H30. Reports indicate that the demonstrators will be protesting against Seismic Blasting and Oil and Gas Exploration and Extraction. Motorists are advised to avoid the area for the duration of the protest. Local authorities will be deployed to monitor the situation.
• CAPE TOWN – 26 AUG 2022 (15H10) Shooting reported at the N2 and Borcherds Quarry Road intersection in Nyanga. Motorists are advised to avoid the area. Police and Security Services have been dispatched to the scene.
UPCOMING EVENTS – 26 AUG 2022
• JOHANNESBURG: Operation Dudula announced that they are expected to launch branches in various areas in South Africa on 27 August 2022.
• RUSTENBURG: The African National Congress (ANC) 9th Provincial Conference is expected to resume on Saturday, 27 August 2022, until Sunday, 28 August 2022.
• SANDTON: News24 Editor-in-Chief Adriaan Basson announced that News24’s inaugural On The Record Summit is expected to be held on Thursday, 01 September 2022, at the Sandton Convention Centre.
• THOHOYANDOU: Protest expected at the Tshilidzini Hosptial on Friday, 02 September 2022.
• SOWETO: The Mayor of Johannesburg, Mpho Phalatse, announced that he is expected to meet residents of Soweto on Saturday, 10 September 2022.
• GQEBERHA/ PORT ELIZABETH: Peaceful protest expected at Hobie Beach on Saturday, 17 September 2022, from 14H00.
• JOHANNESBURG: Protest expected on 20 September 2022 by the Police and Prisons Civil Rights Union (POPCRU).
• VEREENIGING: Peaceful protest expected at the Vereeniging Police Station on Saturday, 08 October 2022, from 12H00.
• PIETERMARITZBURG: Pietermaritzburg High Court Judge Pieter Koen announced that former President Jacob Zuma’s trial has been postponed until 17 October 2022.
Website: www.willshir.com – 2022 ©️ Willshir & Associates
Willshir & Associates – Business Intelligence Program (JK)