- This event has passed.
20220909 1900 WILLSHIR AFRICA TIMELINE
ANGOLA – 09 SEP 2022
- LUANDA – 09 SEP 2022 (09H15) The Constitutional Court (TC) has ordered the National Electoral Commission (CNE) to publish the final results of the general elections on 24 August 2022. This follows after the National Union for the Total Independence of Angola (UNITA), and Broad Convergence for the Salvation of Angola – Electoral Coalition (CASA-CE) appealed against the final results released by the CNE. The Presiding Judge of the TC, Laurinda Cardoso, also ordered that the holders of the mandates that came out of the scrutiny be invested in their respective functions, namely the President of the Republic, the Vice-President of the Republic and the elected deputies to the National Assembly. Cardoso added that the Constitutional Court had dismissed the appeals by the two political formations, validating the final electoral results announced by the CNE within the framework of the general elections of 24 August 2022. In addition, the TC claims to have carried out, through its Data Processing Center, a verification of the evidence presented by the appellants and the CNE.
- LUANDA – 09 SEP 2022 (09H30) Angola is scheduled to host the 10th Summit of Heads of State and Government of the Organization of African, Caribbean and Pacific States (OEACP) from 06 December 2022 until 10 December 2022. The announcement follows after the launch of the OEACP website at the 950th Meeting of the Committee of Ambassadors, at the organization’s headquarters, in Brussels, Belgium. The Summit will be preceded by a Business Forum, which will address issues related to trade among Member States OACPS and key partners, a Women’s Forum on the Blue economy, and a Youth Forum, which will focus on the importance of Road Safety. In addition to the Summit, the Diaspora Forum will facilitate an exchange on key topics for the sustainable development of the 79 Member States of the OACPS. The OEACP is an association of African, Caribbean and Pacific countries formed to coordinate activities under the 1975 Lomé Convention. All States, with the exception of Cuba, are signatories to the Cotonou Agreement, which replaced the Lomé Conventions.
BOTSWANA – 09 SEP 2022
- GABORONE – 09 SEP 2022 (06H00) Botswana is expected to host the inaugural session of the Botswana-Namibia Bi-National Commission (BNC) today, 09 September 2022, in Gaborone. The Heads of State Session will be preceded by the Senior Officials Meeting and the Ministerial Session, which occur on 05 September 2022 to 06 September 2022, and 08 September 2022. The BNC will include discussions regarding a range of issues of mutual interest under four Thematic Committees, such as Politics and Diplomacy, Economic Cluster, Social Cluster, as well as Defence and Security issues, as well as issues from various sectors of cooperation, including agriculture, water, transport and logistics. The two countries are expected to consider and sign new bilateral Agreements and Memoranda of Understanding. This comes after cooperation had been established between the two countries facilitated through bilateral frameworks of the Joint Permanent Commission of Cooperation (JPCC) and the Joint Permanent Commission on Defence and Security (JPCDS).
- GABORONE – 09 SEP 2022 (07H30) The Ministry of Transport and Public Works has released a press release on the new traffic management plan at the Rainbow Intersection from 09 September 2022. The ministry has noted that new measures will be implemented aimed at easing traffic congestion at the intersection. As part of the new management plan, the Rainbow Intersection will be used as four-way traffic signalised, and temporary traffic signals to control traffic travelling straight along the KT Motsete Drive on the western bypass will continue straight. Motorists turning right from KT Motsete Drive to Kudumatse Drive will be controlled by temporary traffic lights, and motorists along Kudumatse Drive will pass under the bridge and will be controlled by temporary traffic lights that will provide straight through and right turn access through the intersection. Further, motorists turning traffic from both KT Motsete Drive and Kudumatse Drive will continue to use the slip roads as per the current set-up. Traffic will be guided by signage and road markings at the intersection. The ministry has also noted that Traffic Police Officers will be deployed to the site to monitor and divert traffic. The development is part of the Design, Build and Transfer of the Three Graded Separated Intersections at the Intersections of K.T. Motsete Drive, Western Bypass, with Lobatse Road, Willie Seboni Road and Kudumatse Drive project.
DEM. REP. CONGO – 09 SEP 2022
- MAMUNDIOMA – 08 SEP 2022 (19H45) Attack reported in the village of Mamundioma, located approximately 25 kilometres (km) from Mbau- Kamango in Beni territory, North Kivu province. Reports indicate that armed rebels affiliated with the Allied Democratic Forces (ADF) group have killed one civilian during an assault in the village. ADF rebels have reportedly also vandalised, looted and set fire to several houses. The attack is the second incident carried out by ADF rebels in the Beni territory within the preceding 48-hour period. The armed unrest has led to the displacement of several civilians in the area.
- KINSHASA – 09 SEP 2022 (10H50) The President of the Republic, Félix Tshisekedi, is scheduled to embark on an official visit to the city of Kananga on Saturday, 09 September 2022, to launch the construction works of the Kananga-Kalambambuji road. The commissioning of the road is aimed to allow movement from the Grand Kasaï area to the Atlantic Ocean through the Angolan port of Lobito. This follows a signing-in ceremony of a memorandum of understanding held in August 2022 for the start of the modernization project of the Kananga- Kalamba Mbuji.
- KINSHASA – 09 SEP 2022 (16H00) The Government has announced a decision to increase the distribution of gasoline at the pump to 1,300 cubic meters (m³) per day as part of efforts to address the current fuel shortage crisis being experienced in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC). As a result, the Government has also cancelled the quota plan lowering the distribution to 660 m³ per day. The decision follows a recent meeting between Hydrocarbons Minister Didier Budimbu and oil logistics companies Lerexcom Petroleum and Service des Entreprises Petrolières Congolaises (SEP Congo) regarding the increase in the distribution of gasoline. The Government has also recently released funds for the acquisition of a vessel of 25,000 metric tonnes of petroleum products in the following five days.
ESWATINI – 09 SEP 2022
- MGAZINI – 09 SEP 2022 (08H30) The Mankayane Police has launched an investigation following a fire incident at the Mgazini Royal Kraal in the Manzini Region, which occurred on Thursday evening, 08 September 2022. According to preliminary assessments, several properties had been torched by unidentified suspects. Relevant authorities are on the scene and are assessing the situation.
- MBABANE – 09 SEP 2022 (15H20) The Government has announced that Deputy Prime Minister Senator Themba Masuku has attended the African Union (AU)/ Southern African Development Community (SADC) Multi-Hazard Early Warning and Action System for Disaster Risk Reduction meeting in Maputo, Mozambique. The meeting, held between Monday, 05 September 2022 and today, 09 September 2022, aimed to discuss the need to expand early warning systems in Southern Africa to safeguard lives and livelihoods from increasingly adverse weather and climate change impacts. The main objective of the Ministerial Meeting is to develop a regional agenda for the implementation of United Nations (UN) Secretary-General Antonio Guterres’ request to improve early warning systems within the following five years. The World Meteorological Organization (WMO) is spearheading the Early Warnings for All campaign. Deputy Prime Minister Masuku departed the country on Wednesday, 07 September 2022, and is scheduled to return to eSwatini today, 09 September 2022.
ETHIOPIA- 09 SEP 2022
- ADIGRAT – 08 SEP 2022 (19H05) Armed clashes reported in the vicinity of Adigrat located in the northern region of Tigray close to the Eritrean border, Misraqawi Zone. Tigray People’s Liberation Front (TPLF) forces and Ethiopian Defence troops are reportedly engaged in armed clashes. Further reports indicate that allied Eritrean Government forces have conducted airstrikes and shellings in Adigrat, leading to five casualties and fourteen civilian injuries. Civilians are reportedly evacuating from the town. The security situation remains volatile.
GHANA – 09 SEP 2022
- ACCRA – 09 SEP 2022 (16H40) President Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo is scheduled to deliver a media address regarding Ghana’s commitment to strengthening post-COVID-19 education at the Transforming Education Summit in New York, United States (US), on Monday, 19 September 2022. The Summit, launched by United Nations (UN) Secretary-General Antonio Guterres, is expected to be attended by global, national and local education stakeholders and actors to offer an opportunity for inclusive, networked and effective global dialogue on coordinated efforts to achieve the Sustainable Development Goal 4 (SDG 4). National Convenor for the 2022 United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) Transforming Education Summit (TES), Michael Boakye-Yiadom, has stated that Presidents of participating countries have appointed national conveners to lead multi-sectoral consultation meetings and develop a commitment statement to be delivered during the Summit.
KENYA – 09 SEP 2022
- BUSIA – 09 SEP 2022 (12H30) The Busia County Governor Paul Otuoma has suspended all Chief Executive Committee members, Chief Officers and County Secretary Nicodemus Mulaku, effective immediately. This comes as Governor Otuoma plans to reshuffle the Committee in line with the Rapid Response Initiative (RRI) as part of his 100 days campaign for the population of Busia to improve service delivery. The County Public Service Board Chair Assumpta Obore and the Director of Governance and Special Programs Timothy Odende added that the RRI task force will constitute Deputy Arthur Odera, who will chair the Finance, Economic, Planning and the Information, Communications and Technology (ICT) sub-committee. Including the former Butula Member of Parliament (MP) Michael Onyura, who will chair the Public Service Management, Governance, Legal and Administrations sub-committee, and Olango Onudi will chair the Health, Education, Infrastructure and Social sub-committee. Otuoma has further stated that other committee members of the task force and subcommittee members will be announced in due course.
- NAIROBI – 09 SEP 2022 (16H30) UPDATE President Uhuru Kenyatta has arrived at the Department of Defense headquarters for the Kenya Defence Force (KDF) Pulling Out event. During an address to the public, Kenyatta declared three days of national mourning following the death of Queen Elizabeth II with effect from today, 09 September 2022, until Monday, 12 September 2022. The national flag will be flown at half-mast at State House and all Kenyan Diplomatic Missions, Public Buildings and Public Grounds, all Military Bases, Posts and Stations, on all Naval Vessels of the Republic of Kenya during the mourning period. (06H30) The Kenya Defence Force (KDF) is scheduled to host a ceremony for the official farewell of President Uhuru Kenyatta at the Ulinzi Sports Complex in Lang’ata, Nairobi, at 08H00 on Friday, 09 September 2022. KDF Spokesperson Esther Wanjiku has stated that the event is in line with the disciplined forces’ custom to bid farewell to the Commander-In-Chief of the Defence Forces.
LESOTHO – 09 SEP 2022
- MASERU – 09 SEP 2022 (17H00) The Independent Electoral Commission (IEC) has conducted nominations of candidates in preparation for the upcoming 2022 General Elections. The nominations have been held today, 09 September 2022, in all 80 constituencies across the country, where supporters from different political parties attended the event. A total of 65 political parties are scheduled to contest in the 2022 general elections. Lesotho is set to hold General Elections to elect Members of the National Assembly, 11th Parliament, on 07 October 2022.
MADAGASCAR – 09 SEP 2022
- ANTANANARIVO – 08 SEP 2022 (19H40) Air Austral has announced plans to relaunch scheduled passenger flight services from Réunion to Tuléar and Fort-Dauphin with effect from 10 October 2022. This follows after Air Austral obtained an agreement between its supervisory authority and the Malagasy Civil Aviation Authority to reopen its flights between 10 October 2022 and 24 October 2022, with weekly flights scheduled to be operated on Mondays. Flights beyond 24 October 2022 are expected to be availed after the company obtains approval from Malagasy authorities for its flight programme between 31 October 2022 and 31 March 2023.
- ANTANANARIVO – 09 SEP 2022 (07H00) The Office of the President of the Republic of Madagascar has announced that the Madagascar Emergency Plan (PEM) is scheduled to be presented to the public on 28 October 2022 to 30 October 2022 at the International Conference Center in Ivato (CCI Ivato). The Director of Communications to the Presidency of the Republic and Spokesman of the Head of State, Lova Ranoromaro, has stated that the PEM documentation will be presented to the public at the conference following a press release statement by Standard and Poors in April 2022, which will publish the Presidency’s vision for the development of the country from 2019 to 2023. Ranoromaro has stated that the conference will be participated by various public and private business leaders, including traditional technical and financial partners of Madagascar and international investors. Further, the diaspora has called for contributions as the Diaspora forum will be held on the same date.
- VOHEMAR – 09 SEP 2022 (12H00) The President of the Republic of Madagascar, Andry Rajoelina, accompanied by his wife, Mialy Rajoelina, has arrived in the coastal city of northern Madagascar, in Vohemar. President Rajoelina is expected to inaugurate the 159-kilometre (km) RN5A Road between Ambilobe and Vohémar. The launching of the RN5A Road is part of the Presidency’s vision in line with the Green Energy Solutions Solar Park.
- ANTANANARIVO – 09 SEP 2022 (12H20) The Secretary-General of the International Organization of Francophonie (OIF) in Madagascar, Louise Mushikiwabo, is expected to embark on a three-day official visit to Madagascar from 10 September 2022 as part of her tour of the Indian Ocean countries. Mushikiwabo is expected to meet with the President of the Republic, Andry Rajoelina, including the Minister of Foreign Affairs, Richard Randriamandrato and the Minister of National Education, Marie Michelle Sahondrarimalala. During the visit, Mushikiwabo is expected to participate in an official ceremony of handing over civil documents to beneficiary families of the pilot project, known as Etat Civil, implemented by the Analamanga Governor and supported by the OIF. According to the OIF, the visit will be aimed at sharing knowledge and mutual interests concerning the French Language, Digital Promotion, teacher mobility, entrepreneurship and training, blue economy, environment, fundamental rights, gender equality, and youth.
MALAWI – 09 SEP 2022
- ZOMBA – 09 SEP 2022 (14H10) UPDATE Police have deployed teargas in an attempt to disperse the demonstration. Union President Dokera has noted that discussions are underway between the University Administration and student leadership regarding the grievances. The security situation in the area remains unstable. (13H20) Protest reported at the University of Malawi in Zomba, Southern Region. University students are protesting against the planned five-month recess at the University. Demonstrators have barricaded Charles Lwangwa Road in front of the University and are reportedly throwing stones at Police. The protest action follows after the University Management recently issued a recess calendar indicating that academic activities will be suspended between January 2023 and May 2023. Students Union President Charles Dokera has stated that the demonstration is being led by students and is not endorsed by the union. Motorists are advised to avoid the area and use alternative routes.
MOZAMBIQUE – 09 SEP 2022
- MAPUTO – 08 SEP 2022 (20H00) Mozambican Mineral Resources and Energy Minister Carlos Zacarias has held discussions with the Minister of Energy and Power Development of the Republic of Zimbabwe, Zhemu Soda, and the Deputy Minister of Mines and Hydrocarbons of Equatorial Guinea, Santiago Eneme Nsuga. During the meeting, Minister Zhemu Soda reiterated Zimbabwe’s willingness to participate in the development of the Mphanda Nkuwa Hydroelectric Project and in guaranteeing electricity supply to feed the Zimbabwean mining industry. Minister Carlos Zacarias has stated that the Mozambican Government is seeking partners in the Mphanda Nkuwa project, which is expected to increase Mozambique’s energy potential. Minister Zacarias has instructed Electricidade de Moçambique (EDM) teams and the Mphanda Nkuwa Office to collaborate with National Energy Company of Zimbabwe (ZESA) technicians and both Governments in the arrangement of technical meetings regarding mechanisms to increase the export of energy to Zimbabwe from the Temane and the Mphanda Nkuwa power plants between 2024 and 2031. Equatorial Guinea’s Deputy Minister is currently on a working visit in Mozambique until 09 September 2022 to review a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) regarding cooperation in the area of hydrocarbons.
NIGERIA – 09 SEP 2022
- IKEJA – 09 SEP 2022 (08H00) Aviation unions have announced plans to hold a peaceful demonstration on Monday, 12 September 2022, and an industrial action after a 14-day period to oppose some clauses in the aviation act passed by the National Assembly. This follows after the National Union of Air Transport Employees (NUATE), Air Transport Senior Staff Association of Nigeria (ATSSSAN), and National Association of Aircraft Pilots and Engineers (NAAPE) held a press conference on Thursday, 08 September 2022, and denounced the clauses in the aviation act passed by the National Assembly. The unions have stated that unknown people in the aviation sector added the regressive clauses to the Bills the National Assembly transmitted to the President for assent. The Ministry of Aviation and the Ministry of Labor have been made aware of the planned demonstration.
RWANDA – 09 SEP 2022
- KIGALI – 09 SEP 2022 (14H50) Rwanda is scheduled to host the Water Africa and East Africa Building and Construction conference at the Serena Hotel in Kigali between 13 September 2022 and 15 September 2022. The event is expected to be attended by more than 50 shareholders in the water, sanitation, environmental, housing, and construction sectors from across the world and Africa. During the conference, participants are expected to discuss agendas to address matters relating to continued flooding, pollution and environmental degradation issues. The event is being endorsed and supported by Rwanda’s Ministry of Infrastructure, the Global Green Growth Institute, Institution of Engineers Rwanda, the Rwanda Convention Bureau, Rwanda Housing Authority, Rwanda Water Resources Board, and Water and Sanitation Corporation (WASAC), among others.
TANZANIA – 09 SEP 2022
- DAR ES SALAAM – 09 SEP 2022 (13H00) The Tanzanian Government has announced revised COVID-19 restrictions to be enforced at the country’s entry points. This includes lifting the mandatory use of thermometers and rapid COVID-19 testing at the country’s airports. The decision follows a decrease in COVID-19-related infections and deaths across the country. The relieved restrictions do not apply to travellers entering Tanzania without a COVID-19 vaccination certificate. Health Minister Ummy Mwalimu has stated that the Government has also suspended the necessary wearing of face masks with the exception of individuals attending large gatherings. Minister Mwalimu has noted that approximately 60% of the country’s targeted population has been fully vaccinated against COVID-19.
ZAMBIA – 09 SEP 2022
- LUSAKA – 09 SEP 2022 (16H40) President Hakainde Hichilema has officially launched the Second Session of the 13th National Assembly under the theme of Working Together Towards Social Economic Transformation today, 09 September 2022. During the session, Hichilema noted that the country’s economy is projected to increase by 4% in the medium term due to policies recently introduced by the Government to stabilise the economic situation. President Hichilema has stated that fiscal discipline has led to the inflation rate decreasing from 25% in August 2021 to 9,8% in August 2022. The Government has also stabilised the exchange rate, with the Kwacha recently rated as a top performing currency globally. Hichilema has noted that his Administration’s economic policies have also increased Zambia’s import cover from 1,9 months in 2021 to the current 3,7 months. This follows after the International Monetary Fund (IMF) recently granted the country $1,3 billion in financial assistance.
ZIMBABWE – 09 SEP 2022
- BULAWAYO – 09 SEP 2022 (11H30) The Bulawayo City Council (BCC) is set to decommission the Umzingwane Dam today, 09 September 2022, due to recorded low water levels. The Council is set to implement a 72-hour weekly water outage programme aimed at reducing the risk of water scarcity from today, 09 September 2022. The Bulawayo Town Clerk, Christopher Dube, stated that the Umzingwane Dam will be decommissioned due to the water levels being recorded at 6,6%, while the city’s dams are at 50%. Dube noted that the Insiza Mayfair had been recorded at 60%, and Mtshabezi Dam had been recorded at above 71%. Dube added that the water demand for the city is more than the Council’s pumping capacity hence the implementation of the 72-hour water outage programme.
UPCOMING EVENTS – 09 SEP 2022
- MADAGASCAR: The Secretary-General of the International Organization of Francophonie (OIF) in Madagascar, Louise Mushikiwabo, is expected to embark on a three-day official visit to Madagascar from 10 September 2022 as part of her tour of the Indian Ocean countries.
- GHANA: Vice-President Mahamudu Bawumia is expected to officially launch the Regional Meeting of African National Commissions for the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) on the Global Priority Africa Programme in Accra on Monday, 12 September 2022.
- NIGERIA: The case between IPOB Leader Nnamdi Kanu and the Federal Government is scheduled to be heard before the Court of Appeal in Abuja on Tuesday, 13 September 2022.
- NIGERIA: President Muhammadu Buhari is scheduled to embark on an official visit to the Imo State on Tuesday, 13 September 2022, to inaugurate several projects.
- KENYA: President-elect William Ruto is scheduled to be sworn in on Tuesday, 13 September 2022.
- ZAMBIA: The Electoral Commission of Zambia (ECZ) has announced that by-elections have been scheduled for the Kabushi and Kwacha Constituencies in the Copperbelt province on Thursday, 15 September 2022.
- MALAWI: Protest expected by members of the Free Musa movement in Blantyre on 15 September 2022.
- MALAWI: The Senior Resident Magistrate Court in Lilongwe has set Friday, 16 September 2022, for the bail ruling of Chinese Susu on allegations of exploiting Malawian children.
- MALAWI: Malawi is scheduled to host the Ngoni event, known as Mfecane, from 26 September 2022 to 30 September 2022 in the Mzimba district.
- NIGERIA: Delta Airlines announced that it will suspend flight operations from Lagos to New York from 04 October 2022.
- LESOTHO: The Kingdom of Lesotho is scheduled to conduct General Elections on 07 October 2022 to elect 120 seats of the National Assembly, the lower house of Parliament.
- GHANA: Ghana is expected to host an International Defence Exhibition and Conference (IDEC) at the Burma Hall, within the Ghana Armed Forces Headquarters in Accra, on 11 October 2022 and 12 October 2022.
- NIGERIA: The Osun Independent Electoral Commission (OSIEC) has announced that Local Government Elections are scheduled to be held in the State on 15 October 2022.
- ETHIOPIA: Ethiopia is scheduled to host the continental Africa for Africans Event at Meskel Square and Friendship Park in Addis Ababa between 21 October 2022 and 23 October 2022.
- ZIMBABWE: The Zimbabwe African National Union-Patriotic Front (ZANU–PF) is set to hold its 7th Congress from 26 October 2022 until 29 October 2022.
- ZIMBABWE: President Emmerson Mnangagwa is expected to attend the 27th session of the United Nations Climate Change Conference in Egypt from 07 November 2022 until 08 November 2022, following an invitation by his counterpart President Abdel Fattah El-Sisi.
- ETHIOPIA: The African Union Summit on Industrialization and Economic Diversification is expected to start on 20 November 2022 in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
- ANGOLA: Energy Capital and Power (ECP) has announced that the 2022 Edition of Angola Oil and Gas (AOG) is expected to be held from 29 November 2022 until 01 December 2022.
- ANGOLA: Angola is scheduled to host the 10th Summit of Heads of State and Government of the Organization of African, Caribbean and Pacific States (OEACP) from 06 December 2022 until 10 December 2022.
- RWANDA: The Africa Centres for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) is expected to host the second Annual International Conference on Public Health in Africa (CPHIA 2022) between 13 December 2022 and 15 December 2022 in Kigali, Rwanda.
- NIGERIA: The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) has announced that Nigeria is expected to conduct elections on 25 February 2023 and 11 March 2023.
- NIGERIA: The Federal Ministry of Petroleum Resources has announced plans for the Sixth Edition of Nigeria’s International Energy Summit (NIES 2023) in Abuja from 16 April 2023 until 20 April 2023.
- RWANDA: Rwanda is expected to host the 35th Meeting of the Green Climate Fund (GCF) Board from 13 March 2023 to 16 March 2023.
- MOZAMBIQUE: Mozambique’s National Elections Commission (CNE) has approved a proposal that schedules 11 October 2023 as the date for the sixth municipal elections across the country.
Website: www.willshir.com – 2022 ©️ Willshir & Associates
Willshir & Associates – Business Intelligence Program (AR)