- This event has passed.
20220915 1900 WILLSHIR AFRICA TIMELINE
ANGOLA – 15 SEP 2022
- LUANDA – 14 SEP 2022 (19H05) The Zimbabwean Ministry of Foreign Affairs has announced that President Emmerson Mnangagwa has arrived in Luanda, Angola. During the visit, President Mnangagwa is expected to attend the inauguration ceremony of President-elect João Lourenço, scheduled to be held in Luanda tomorrow, 15 September 2022. Mnangagwa has been received at the 4 de Fevereiro International Airport in Luanda by Zimbabwe’s Ambassador to Angola, Major General Thando Madzvamuse, and Angolan Foreign Minister Tete Antonio.
- LUANDA – 15 SEP 2022 (06H30) The leader of the National Union for the Total Independence of Angola (UNITA), Adalberto Costa Júnior, has announced the presence and inauguration of the 90 deputies of this political formation in the National Assembly (AN) on Friday, 16 September 2022. This follows after UNITA had contested the results of the general elections of 24 August 2022, in which it had demanded the annulment of the elections. However, UNITA opted to take office in all institutions. Júnior further noted that his efforts will continue within the country’s democratic institutions as well as internationally. During the elections, the People’s Movement for the Liberation of Angola (MPLA) and its candidate for President of the Republic, Joao Lourenco, won with 51.17% of the valid votes, winning 124 deputies to the National Assembly.
- LUANDA – 15 SEP 2022 (11H30) Protest reported on Ngola Kiluanje District Command in the Luanda Municipality. Reports indicate that the demonstrators are demanding the release of Activist Alexandre Simon Bolivar, a member of the Contestant Civil Society (SCC). Local sources have indicated that the Luanda Police have detained about 18 protesters. Motorists are advised to use an alternative route. The situation remains volatile.
- LUANDA – 15 SEP 2022 (16H00) UPDATE President João Lourenço is addressing members of the public and Heads of State Government following his inauguration for a second five-year term in office. The re-elected Head of State has vowed to ensure stability and focus on the consolidation of the Democratic State and the Rule of Law. Lourenço has further reaffirmed his continued commitment to improving living conditions and the welfare of Angolan nationals. (14H30) The inauguration ceremony of President-elect João Lourenço has commenced at the Republic Square in Luanda. During the ceremony, Esperança da Costa is also expected to be inaugurated as the Vice-President of Angola. The inauguration program includes opening remarks by the Judge Counselor President of the Constitutional Court, a reading of the transcript of the National Electoral Commission (CNE), the investiture of the President of the Republic and the Vice-President, a parade by the country’s National Army and a speech by Lourenço. (06H15) Angolan President-elect João Lourenço is scheduled to be inaugurated for a second term in office today, 15 September 2022. Lourenço’s inauguration is scheduled to coincide with the swearing-in of the elected Vice-President of the Republic, Esperança Costa. As part of the inauguration ceremony, the Provincial Government of Luanda (GPL) is expected to implement temporary road closures on several routes in the vicinity of Republic Square in Luanda with effect from 00H00 on Wednesday, 14 September 2022. The affected routes are expected to include Rua Comandante Arguelles, Avenida Dr Antonio Agostinho Neto, Avenida Dr Antonio Agostinho Neto, Rua da Assembleia Nacional, Rua da Assembleia Nacional, and Avenida 4 de Fevereiro. The GPL has also advised motorists of a scheduled Military rehearsal for the central parade being held today, 13 September 2022, along Avenida Antonio Agostinho Neto, adjacent to Republic Square. During this period, motorists are advised to use alternative routes to avoid possible travel disruptions.
BOTSWANA – 15 SEP 2022
- GABORONE – 15 SEP 2022 (08H30) Botswana is scheduled to host the Second Annual All Africa Science Technology Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) Conference, scheduled to take place from today, 15 September 2022, to 16 September 2022, in Gaborone, Botswana. The conference aims to support continental development by implementing STEAM-based programs that will yield educated and empowered individuals with the capacity to develop roles that will accelerate development in Africa. In addition, various delegates and participants from across the African continent will be provided with the opportunity to share their knowledge and create awareness in the Government industries about the crucial role of Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics.
DEM. REP. CONGO – 15 SEP 2022
- KIKWIT – 15 SEP 2022 (07H30) The Kwilu Police Spokesman Colonel Camile Atungale has announced that Bandundu Central Prison Police officers have successfully repelled an attempted attack at the prison on 13 September 2022. Atungale has confirmed that two prisoners have attempted to escape during the incident. However, the officers successfully detained the escapees and repelled the attack. Reports indicate that the officials had opened fire at the escapees, which led to one escapee sustaining serious gunshot wounds, and another being injured. Atungale further assured that the situation has since returned to normalcy.
- KWAMOUTH – 15 SEP 2022 (16H00) National Deputy Adolphe Muzito has travelled to the city of Kwamouth, Mai-Ndombe province, to evaluate the security situation in the area following the recent inter-ethnic conflict between the Teke and Yaka communities. Muzito has raised concern regarding the continued displacement of civilians in the town and surrounding areas. The National Deputy has also stated that several unoccupied villages have been destroyed during fires caused by the unrest. Muzito has further noted the deterioration of the economic situation in the province’s region following the cessation of rural activities and fishing due to insecurity. Muzito has emphasised the necessity to reinforce security measures in Kwamouth, Bandundu and other neighbouring entities of the town.
ESWATINI – 15 SEP 2022
- HLUTI – 15 SEP 2022 (14H25) Protest reported at the Hluti Police Station in Hluti, Shiselweni Region. Students from various schools in the vicinity of Hosea are protesting at the Police station. The demonstration follows after Police officers allegedly forcefully confiscated private property belonging to the learners. Motorists are advised to exercise vigilance when travelling in the area.
ETHIOPIA- 15 SEP 2022
- ADDIS ABABA – 15 SEP 2022 (12H30) The Ethiopian Prime Minister, Abiy Ahmed Ali, has received the Chief of Asia-Pacific and Africa Investments at Qatar Investment Authority, Sheikh Faisal Bin Thani Al-Thani, in Addis Ababa. The two delegates discussed ways to improve and expand investments in Ethiopia. This follows after a meeting held between the Qatar Minister of State for Foreign Affairs Sultan bin Saad Al Muraikhi and the Ambassador of the Federal Democratic Republic of Ethiopia to the State of Qatar Faisal Ali Ibrahim in August 2022, where discussions focussed on bilateral cooperation relations.
GHANA – 15 SEP 2022
- ACCRA – 14 SEP 2022 (20H00) The Concerned Drivers Association and True Drivers Union has announced that the Transport Operators Association of Ghana is expected to implement a 30% increment in transport fares across the country with effect from Wednesday, 21 September 2022. The Union has issued a statement following consultations with the Ghana Private Road Transport Union (GPRTU) of the Trade Union Congress (TUC). The statement indicates that the decision emanates from increases in the prices of fuel and other products and the country’s current economic situation.
KENYA – 15 SEP 2022
- NAIROBI – 14 SEP 2022 (19H40) President William Ruto has revoked Kenya’s recognition of the Sahrawi Arab Democratic Republic (SADR) State amid the ongoing border dispute between West Sahara and Morocco. President Ruto has issued a statement noting that Kenya is distancing itself from acknowledging the independence of SADR, restating Kenya’s support of United Nations (UN) peace initiatives in the region. The newly elected Head of State has further noted that Kenya has launched a process to shut down the country’s presence in Kenya. Additionally, Ruto has reiterated the country’s continued efforts to strengthen economic relations with Morocco in areas of trade, agriculture, health, tourism, and energy, among others. Initially, Kenya had been among 41 UN member states recognising the Sahrawi State’s independence and supporting efforts for a cease-fire with Morocco. SADR forms part of the disputed territory in the North-Western Sahara, retaining control of an estimated 20% of the region while the remaining territory is under the governance of Morocco.
- MOMBASA – 21 SEP 2022 (19H40) The Mombasa High Courts have dismissed a petition to suspend the inauguration of Mombasa Governor-elect Abdulswamad Shariff Nassir on Thursday, 15 September 2022. This follows after Andrew Ombayo had filed the petition, under a certificate of urgency, stating that Nassir capitalised on the Independent Electoral and Boundaries Commissions (IEBC) decision on 18 July 2022 to revoke the registration certificate of former Governor Mike Sonko from the 09 August 2022 General Elections. Ombayo requested the courts to overrule the cancellation of Sonkos’ application as it had been unconstitutional. However, Judge Ann Ong’injo dismissed the petition as Omwayo failed to convince the court why a stay order should be issued regarding Nassir’s swearing-in. Mombasa Governor-elect Abdulswamad Shariff Nassirs’ inauguration will continue as planned on Thursday, 15 September 2022.
- NAIROBI – 15 SEP 2022 (14H00) The Energy and Petroleum Regulatory Authority (EPRA) has announced revised fuel prices in the country with effect from 00H01 today, 15 September 2022. EPRA has issued a notice informing members of the public of an increase in the price of diesel, petrol and kerosene. The price of super petrol has increased by Sh20,18, Diesel by Sh25 and Kerosene by Sh20. Accordingly, super petrol is retailing at Sh179,30, diesel at Sh165 and Kerosene at Sh147,94, effective between 15 September 2022 and 14 October 2022. The revision follows after President William Ruto recently announced plans to revoke the fuel subsidy, citing its unsustainability.
- MOMBASA – 15 SEP 2022 (16H30) UPDATE Abdulswamad Nassir has officially been sworn in as the newly elected Mombasa Governor during a ceremony at the Mama Ngina grounds in Mombasa county. Nassir is addressing the media and members of the public during the conclusion of the inauguration ceremony. (06H25) The swearing-in ceremony of Mombasa Governor-elect Abdulswamad Shariff Nassir is set to take place today, 15 September 2022. The inauguration ceremony is scheduled to take place at the Mama Ngina grounds in Mombasa county. Abdulswamad was running for the gubernatorial seat on an Azimio la Umoja coalition party ticket against his archrival Hassan Omar of Kenya Kwanza and obtained 119,083 votes, while Omar obtained 98,108 votes. Nassir will succeed Ali Hassan Joho, the former Governor of Mombasa County.
LESOTHO – 15 SEP 2022
- MASERU – 15 SEP 2022 (13H00) The Prime Minister of Lesotho, Moeketsi Majoro, along with his delegation team, is set to travel to New York, in the United States of America (USA), to attend the 77th session of the United Nations General Assembly (UNGA 77), which will be held from 19 September 2022 to 24 September 2022. The session will seek to alleviate the impact of humanitarian, economic and climate crises by rallying support for the Global Accelerator on Jobs and Social Protection. The meeting will be held under the theme of A Watershed Moment Transformative Solutions to Interlocking Challenges.
MADAGASCAR – 15 SEP 2022
- ANTANANARIVO – 15 SEP 2022 (12H15) The Union of Civil Administrators of Madagascar has condemned the dismissal of the Ikongo District Chief. The Union of Civil Administrators (SYNDAD) has condemned the sanctions imposed against the chief by the Council of Ministers on 07 September 2022. The Union further intends to conduct an investigation into the reason for the dismissal. The SYNAD President Paolo Raholinarivo stated that the Union has also raised issues involving the mismanagement of the workforce and the lack of consideration for the workers. According to reports, the chief had been unlawfully dismissed for the alleged mismanagement following clashes in Ikongo, which led to the death of over 20 civilians after the gendarmerie opened fire on the crowd.
MALAWI – 15 SEP 2022
- LILONGWE – 14 SEP 2022 (19H00) The Malawi Energy Regulatory Authority (MERA) has announced a reduction of the pump price of petrol by K200 with effect from today, 14 September 2022. Subsequently, the price of petrol has been reduced from K1,946 per litre to 1,746 per litre, representing a 10,25% decrease. MERA’s statement further notes that diesel and paraffin prices have been maintained at K1,920 and K1,261 per litre, respectively. The Authority has stated that recent trends in global petroleum product prices and their impact on energy prices have led to the decision to reduce the cost of petrol. The energy regulator has also attributed the reduction to the recent stability of the Malawi Kwacha.
- LILONGWE – 15 SEP 2022 (17H30) The Department of Disaster Management Affairs (DODMA), in collaboration with development and humanitarian partners, has mobilised resources valued at MK76,27 billion towards the implementation of the 2022/2023 Lean Season Food Insecurity Response Programme. The programme aims to prevent and minimise the impacts of natural disasters that may be experienced during the upcoming rainfall season. DODMA Commissioner Charles Kalemba has stated that an estimated MK32,46 billion has been mobilised through cash transfers, the Africa Risk Capacity drought insurance pay-out, as well as MK2 billion from the Unforeseen Circumstances Vote, and MK43,81 billion set to be supplied from the Government Strategic Grain Reserves. Kalemba has further noted that the Government is establishing long-term and sustainable solutions with various stakeholders to eradicate food insecurity by constructing and rehabilitating irrigation infrastructure in flood-prone areas.
MOZAMBIQUE – 15 SEP 2022
- MAPUTO – 14 SEP 2022 (19H05) The South Korean Government is expected to provide Mozambique with a patrol vessel to increase the security of the Coral Sul floating liquefied natural gas (FLNG) platform in the Rovuma Basin. The Special Envoy of South Korean President Yoon Suk-yeol, Byoung-Gug Choung, made the announcement following a brief meeting with President Filipe Nyusi after the inauguration of Kenyan President-elect William Ruto. The patrol vessel will facilitate the maintenance and operations of the FLNG platform. The 220,000 tons FLNG located at approximately 2,000 metres is kept in position by 20 mooring lines weighing 9,000 tons. The FLNG is further able to accommodate about 350 people in an eight-story living quarter module. The FLNG will produce 450 billion cubic metres of gas with a gas liquefaction capacity of 3.4 million tons per year.
- MAPUTO – 14 SEP 2022 (19H20) China is expected to donate approximately €13.9 million and cancel €7 million in debt following the signing of agreements between the countries on Tuesday, 13 September 2022. The donation has followed after Mozambique’s Minister of Foreign Affairs and Cooperation, Verónica Macamo, and the Chinese Ambassador in Maputo, Wang Hejun, signed the Agreement on Economic and Technical Cooperation. The members further signed a Partial Debt Relief Agreement in addition to a certificate of delivery by Beijing. The Partial Debt Relief Agreement will decrease the strain on public accounts by providing increased resources for social and economic development projects. China is expected to increase bilateral cooperation between both countries.
- MAPUTO – 15 SEP 2022 (11H45) President Filipe Nyusi is set to officiate the Regional Meeting of Public Prosecutors and Criminal Investigation Police of the countries of the Southern African Development Community (SADC) on Combating Terrorism, Violent Extremism and Terrorist Financing in Maputo today, 15 September 2022. The Presidency of Mozambique has announced that the meeting aims to discuss the assessments and knowledge on a criminal investigation in the context of terrorism and good practices of legal and judicial cooperation to combat the phenomenon. During the event, a project is expected to be presented for designing and adopting an electronic form for requests for legal and judicial cooperation in the fight against organized and transnational crime in the SADC region. Representatives from 15 countries, including delegates from Mozambique, are expected to attend the session, including South Africa, Angola, Botswana, Congo, Eswatini, Lesotho, Malawi, Namibia, Nigeria, Kenya, Rwanda, Tanzania, Uganda, Zambia and Zimbabwe.
NIGERIA – 15 SEP 2022
- ABUJA – 14 SEP 2022 (19H45) The Nigerian National Petroleum Company (NNPC) is expected to sign a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with Morocco for the 7,000-kilometre (km) Nigeria Morocco Gas Pipeline (NMGP) project during a meeting tomorrow, 15 September 2022. The MoU is expected to be signed between the NNPCL, Office National des Hydrocarbures et des Mines (ONHYM) of Morocco and the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS). The announcement follows a recent visit by NNPC Group Chief Executive Officer (CEO) Mele Kyari to the President of the ECOWAS Commission, Omar Touray, in Abuja. During the visit, the NNPC and the ECOWAS Commission reaffirmed their continued commitment to the project’s implementation. NNPC and ONHYM are also expected to sign two MoUs with Société Mauritanienne des Hydrocarbures (SMH) of Mauritania and Petrosen of Senegal, both of whom are expected to participate in the project. Upon completion, the pipeline is expected to supply approximately 3 billion standard cubic feet per day (scfd) of gas along the West African coast from Nigeria, Benin, Togo, Ghana, Cote D’ Ivoire, Liberia, Sierra Leone, Guinea, Guinea Bissau, Gambia, Senegal and Mauritania to Morocco.
- IKEJA – 15 SEP 2022 (09H30) The Management of Aero Contractors has announced that it will resume commercial services as soon as the Nigerian Civil Aviation Authority (NCAA) completes its audit. The airline has raised hopes that the process will be completed by the end of September 2022 in order to resume services by October 2022. This follows after the temporary suspension of its flight operation due to the depletion of aircraft to run scheduled commercial services in July 2022. However, as part of measures to resume, the airline noted that it signed a partnership agreement with the Chairman of Umza Aviation Services, Mohammed Abubakar.
- KANO – 15 SEP 2022 (09H50) The Minister of Water Resources, Alhaji Suleiman Adamu, has ordered the closure of the Gadar Sarkin Kogi at Tiga in the Bebeji Local Government Area of Kano State. This follows a joint assessment visit to the Tiga and Bagauda Dams, accompanied by the Governor Abdullahi Ganduje of Kano State. Adamu had further directed the Hadejia Jama’are River Basin Development Authority to continue with routine maintenance of the dams, adding that the level of the water in the dam had not increased. This follows after the Tiga Dam overflowed on Thursday, 08 September 2022, which led to the destruction of farmlands, roads, and houses and displaced residents in the areas.
- ABUJA – 15 SEP 2022 (10H30) The Speaker of the House of Representatives, Femi Gbajabiamila, has announced that the President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, Muhammadu Buhari, is expected to present the 2023 budget to the National Assembly in October 2022. Nigeria’s Finance Minister, Zainab Ahmed, stated that the proposed 2023 budget of N19.76 trillion is embedded with an N12.43 trillion deficit. Further, Gbajabiamila stated that the configuration of the temporary chamber is expected to be completed ahead of the September 20 date for the resumption of plenary.
- PORT HARCOURT – 15 SEP 2022 (13H45) The Nigerian Government has announced that operations at the Port Harcourt Refinery are scheduled to commence by December 2022. The Minister of State for Petroleum Resources, Timipre Sylva, made the announcement during a media briefing following a recent Federal Executive Council (FEC) meeting. Authorities had suspended operations at the 60,000 barrels per day (B/D) refinery in March 2019 to commence the first phase of repair works after the Government secured the service of Italy’s Maire Tecnimont to manage the scoping of the refinery complex, with oil major Eni appointed as a technical adviser. Sylva has stated that the rehabilitation of the refinery is underway, in addition to ongoing works at the Kaduna and Warri refineries. The Minister has noted that the Government is expected to carry out an inspection visit at several of the refineries to evaluate the rehabilitation progress in due course.
- ABUJA – 15 SEP 2022 (15H00) President Muhamadu Buhari is currently presiding over a National Security Council (NSC) meeting at the Presidential Villa in Abuja. Government officials attending the NSC meeting include Vice President Yemi Osinbajo, Secretary to the Government of the Federation (SGF) Boss Mustapha, National Security Adviser (NSA) Major General Babagana Monguno, and Presidential Chief of Staff Ibrahim Gambari. Also in attendance are the Inspector-General of Police, Alkali Baba Usman, Department of State Service (DSS) Director-General Yusuf Bichi, and National Intelligence Agency (NIA) Director-General Ahmed Rufai Abubakar. among others. The meeting aims to discuss progress in efforts to eradicate armed unrest from the country’s territory. This follows after Buhari previously issued a presidential directive to security officials to expedite operations against all forms of terrorism in the country, with a focus on addressing banditry and kidnappings. Interior Minister Rauf Aregbesola has stated that the Council Meeting is also discussing the possible disbandment of the National Taskforce on the Prohibition of Illegal Importation/Smuggling of Arms, Ammunition, Light Weapons, Chemical Weapons, and Pipeline Vandalism (NATFORCE), as the country’s law does not recognise its validity.
RWANDA – 15 SEP 2022
- KIGALI – 15 SEP 2022 (08H15) The Turkish Investors from Dogus Group have expressed their interest in investing in Rwanda, aimed at improving and promoting the tourism and hospitality sectors. This follows a recent meeting held between Rwandan Prime Minister Edouard Ngirente and Clare Akamanzi, Chief Executive Officer of Rwanda Development Board (RDB), at the Premier’s office in Kimihurura. During the meeting, Akamanzi noted the company’s plans to construct a hotel in Kigali and a resort on the shores of Lake Kivu and the Musanze district. This follows after a meeting held between Ngirente and the Chairman and the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of Dogus Group, Ferit Sahenk, in March 2022, where discussions focused on investment opportunities in various sectors, including hospitality and real estate in Rwanda.
TANZANIA – 15 SEP 2022
- DAR ES SALAAM – 15 SEP 2022 (16H20) African Energy Metals, a natural resource company, is expected to enter a joint venture with Black Hole Aurum, a private Tanzanian company, to acquire coal assets in the country. The two companies are currently negotiating agreements regarding their initial two targets and have reportedly signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) on one of the projects. African Energy Metals Executive Chairman Stephen Barley has stated that, following the renewed interest in coal-generated power in Europe, the company had been approached by Black Hole Aurum to participate in talks regarding possible joint ventures. The agreements are expected to focus on projects that sustain or increase coal production for export in the near term.
- DAR ES SALAAM – 15 SEP 2022 (17H00) Dar es Salaam Regional Police Commissioner Amos Makalla has announced the deployment of at least 300 Police officers in Dar es Salaam. The deployment follows as part of efforts to locate and apprehend members of an armed gang locally known as Panya Road, a group that has allegedly recently been causing unrest in various parts of Dar es Salaam. Makalla has noted that the group is suspected to be involved in the recent murder of a female university student in the city. The group is also accused of involvement in other criminal activities, including armed robberies.
- DODOMA – 15 SEP 2022 (16H45) Tanzania’s Ministry of Health has declared a measles outbreak in seven municipalities following the deaths of 38 people. Health Minister Ummy Mwalimu has stated that the affected districts include Bukoba with three cases, Handeni District with four infections, Kilindi with three cases, Mkuranga with four cases, Kigamboni with eight cases, Temeke with 12 infections, and Ilala with four infections. As part of efforts to contain the outbreak, the Health Ministry is expected to continue monitoring infected persons and deploy a team of experts to the affected areas to increase local awareness regarding the prevention of the disease. Minister Mwalimu has also called on members of the public to observe health measures and immediately report to a health centre upon suspicion of infection.
ZAMBIA – 15 SEP 2022
- LUSAKA – 14 SEP 2022 (19H10) The Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation has announced that President Hakainde Hichilema is scheduled to travel to Luanda, Angola, tomorrow, 15 September 2022. During the visit, President Hichilema is expected to attend the inauguration ceremony of Angola’s President-elect, João Lourenço. The inauguration ceremony follows the re-election of Lourenço during Angola’s general elections on 24 August 2022. The Ministry has stated that President Hichilema is scheduled to return to Zambia immediately following the ceremony’s conclusion.
- NAKONDE – 14 SEP 2022 (20H20) The Zambian Police Services (ZPS), in collaboration with the Tanzanian Police Force (TPF), have launched investigations following the discovery of several bodies in the Nakonde area. This follows after a body had been reported by a civilian of Kanyimbo Village on 13 September 2022. The community in the area discovered five additional bodies following further investigations. On arrival, the Police uncovered the seventh body in the area. Authorities have since launched an investigation into the circumstance surrounding the situation.
- LUSAKA – 15 SEP 2022 (06H00) The Electoral Commission of Zambia (ECZ) has announced that the by-elections scheduled for the Kabushi and Kwacha Constituencies in the Copperbelt province have been postponed for today, 15 September 2022. The announcement follows a High Court ruling directing the temporary suspension of Kabushi and Kwacha Parliamentary by-election until further notice, pending the outcome of a petition submitted by two former Members of Parliament (MPs), Joseph Malanji and his Kabushi counterpart, Bowman Lusambo. The High Court decision to stay the Kabushi and Kwacha parliamentary by-election pending the determination of the petition where the two former MPs have challenged the decision by the Electoral Commission of Zambia to reject their nomination papers.
- LUSAKA – 15 SEP 2022 (07H00) President Hakainde Hichilema has, with immediate effect, suspended the Director of Public Prosecutions( DPP), Lillian Siyuni. Furthermore, President Hichilema has appointed Katongo Waluzimba as acting DPP. In a statement released by the Presidential Spokesperson, Anthony Bwalya, President Hichilema acted on the recommendations contained in the report presented to him by the Judicial Complaints Commission. The suspension had been made in accordance with the powers vested in the President pursuant to Articles 182 (3), 144(2) and 144(3) of the Constitution of Zambia.
ZIMBABWE – 15 SEP 2022
- HARARE – 15 SEP 2022 (15H30) Foreign Affairs and International Trade Minister Frederick Shava is expected to travel to the United Kingdom (UK) to represent President Emmerson Mnangagwa at the funeral of Queen Elizabeth II in London on Monday, 19 September 2022. This follows after an invitation had been extended to President Mnangagwa to attend Queen Elizabeth II’s funeral. However, Mnangagwa is unable to participate in the funeral service due to other commitments. Office of the President and Cabinet Deputy Chief Secretary George Charamba has stated that Minister Shava is expected to depart the country to attend the service on behalf of the Head of State on Monday, 19 September 2022.
UPCOMING EVENTS – 15 SEP 2022
- MALAWI: The Senior Resident Magistrate Court in Lilongwe has set Friday, 16 September 2022, for the bail ruling of Chinese Susu on allegations of exploiting Malawian children.
- ANGOLA: The fifth legislature of the National Assembly (AN) is scheduled to take place on Friday, 16 September 2022, with the inauguration of the 220 deputies elected in the general elections on 24 August 2022.
- NIGERIA: Protest expected by members of the Coalition for Pete Obi (CPO), a group of supporters of the presidential candidate of the Labour Party (LP) Peter Obi, on 17 September 2022 in the Abia State.
- GHANA: Protest expected at the Jubilee House in Accra on Tuesday, 20 September 2022.
- MOZAMBIQUE: Mozambique’s ruling party, Frelimo, is scheduled to hold its 12th Congress of the party, slated for 23 September 2022 until 28 September 2022, in the city of Matola, Maputo province.
- NIGERIA: Protest expected by members of the Coalition for Peter Obi (CPO), a group of supporters of the presidential candidate of the Labour Party (LP) Peter Obi, on 24 September 2022, in the vicinity of Ekiti.
- MALAWI: Malawi is scheduled to host the Ngoni event, known as Mfecane, from 26 September 2022 to 30 September 2022 in the Mzimba district.
- NIGERIA: Delta Airlines announced that it will suspend flight operations from Lagos to New York from 04 October 2022.
- LESOTHO: The Kingdom of Lesotho is scheduled to conduct General Elections on 07 October 2022 to elect 120 seats of the National Assembly, the lower house of Parliament.
- GHANA: Ghana is expected to host an International Defence Exhibition and Conference (IDEC) at the Burma Hall, within the Ghana Armed Forces Headquarters in Accra, on 11 October 2022 and 12 October 2022.
- NIGERIA: The Osun Independent Electoral Commission (OSIEC) has announced that Local Government Elections are scheduled to be held in the State on 15 October 2022.
- ETHIOPIA: Ethiopia is scheduled to host the continental Africa for Africans Event at Meskel Square and Friendship Park in Addis Ababa between 21 October 2022 and 23 October 2022.
- ZIMBABWE: The Zimbabwe African National Union-Patriotic Front (ZANU–PF) is set to hold its 7th Congress from 26 October 2022 until 29 October 2022.
- ZIMBABWE: President Emmerson Mnangagwa is expected to attend the 27th session of the United Nations Climate Change Conference in Egypt from 07 November 2022 until 08 November 2022, following an invitation by his counterpart President Abdel Fattah El-Sisi.
- ETHIOPIA: The African Union Summit on Industrialization and Economic Diversification is expected to start on 20 November 2022 in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
- ANGOLA: Energy Capital and Power (ECP) has announced that the 2022 Edition of Angola Oil and Gas (AOG) is expected to be held from 29 November 2022 until 01 December 2022.
- ANGOLA: Angola is scheduled to host the 10th Summit of Heads of State and Government of the Organization of African, Caribbean and Pacific States (OEACP) from 06 December 2022 until 10 December 2022.
- RWANDA: The Africa Centres for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) is expected to host the second Annual International Conference on Public Health in Africa (CPHIA 2022) between 13 December 2022 and 15 December 2022 in Kigali, Rwanda.
- NIGERIA: The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) has announced that Nigeria is expected to conduct elections on 25 February 2023 and 11 March 2023.
- NIGERIA: The Federal Ministry of Petroleum Resources has announced plans for the Sixth Edition of Nigeria’s International Energy Summit (NIES 2023) in Abuja from 16 April 2023 until 20 April 2023.
- RWANDA: Rwanda is expected to host the 35th Meeting of the Green Climate Fund (GCF) Board from 13 March 2023 to 16 March 2023.
- MOZAMBIQUE: Mozambique’s National Elections Commission (CNE) has approved a proposal that schedules 11 October 2023 as the date for the sixth municipal elections across the country.
Website: www.willshir.com – 2022 ©️ Willshir & Associates
Willshir & Associates – Business Intelligence Program (AR)