- This event has passed.
WILLSHIR – AFRICA – TIMELINE – 30 MAY 2022 (19H00)
ANGOLA – 30 MAY 2022
- LUANDA – 30 MAY 2022 (04H05) Minister of Foreign Affairs Tete Antonio is expected to conduct the Eight Bilateral Commission Session with Sao Tome Minister of Foreign Affairs, Edite Ten Jua, today, 30 May 2022. Antonio stated that several legal instruments are expected to be signed to strengthen and expand cooperation between the two countries.
- LUANDA – 30 MAY 2022 (16H50) President Joao Lourenco is expected to hear the members of the Council of the Republic on Friday, 03 June 2022, ahead of the August elections. The Council is set to consist of Political party members and the coalition of parties, Presidents of the Higher Courts, Parliament President, Religious leaders and others. The President is expected to call for the elections 90 days before his end of term on 26 September 2022. President Lourenco noted that he is expected to call for the elections after the meeting. This follows after the National Union for the Total Independence of Angola (UNITA) accused the President of delaying the call for the elections.
BOTSWANA – 30 MAY 2022
- GABORONE – 30 MAY 2022 (14H25) The Government, through the Ministry of Nationality Immigration and Gender Affairs Computerisation programme, is expected to increase the total budget for the Kasane-Kazungula re-development project by approximately P100 million. The increase is set to implement a spatial development project proposed in the Kasane-Kazungula re-development plan for a tourist destination. The development is expected to establish road connectivity, increase sanitation in townships, and develop tourist attractions. The Project has been implemented through a Coordinating Office, Kasane/Kazungula re-development Agency (KKRA) in the Ministry from 2019. Three of the four milestones have been completed, including an Integrated Waste Management Plan for the Kasane/Kazungula project.
DEM. REP. CONGO – 30 MAY 2022
- BUNIA – 30 MAY 2022 (04H20) Military Governor, Johnny Loboya, announced Government plans for the rehabilitation of Murongo National Airport. Loboya stated that the landing strip is expected to be expanded to 650 meters. Loboya further added that the date on which the rehabilitation project is expected to commence is still under discussion.
- KINSHASA – 30 MAY 2022 (08H30) Protest expected in Kinshasa by various Citizen Movements today, 30 May 2022, from 16H30. The demonstrations will be held under the theme of resistance to #AgressionRwandaise. Demonstrators are expected to gather at the Train Station in Kinshasa. Motorists are advised to remain vigilant. Police will be deployed to the scene.
- KINSHASA – 30 MAY 2022 (09H40) Protest expected in the vicinity of Kinshasa, on 02 June 2022, led by the political party, ENVOL. This comes as the President of ENVOL, Delly Sesanga, raised issues over the new electoral law and denounced the National Assembly which is allegedly carrying out electoral fraud in the 2023 General Elections. Sesanga has called on the population to participate in a march to denounce electoral fraud and demand transparency in the electoral process. Motorists are advised to use an alternative route. Police will be deployed to the scene.
ESWATINI – 30 MAY 2022
- MANZINI – 30 MAY 2022 (17H25) The Swaziland National Union of Students (SNUS) is expected to host a peaceful gathering at the Manzini Magistrate Court on 31 May 2022. The members are expected to start gathering at approximately 09H00. SNUS members are expected to gather in support of Colani Khulekani Maseko and his court hearing. Motorists are advised t make use of alternative routes.
ETHIOPIA- 30 MAY 2022
- ADDIS ABABA – 30 MAY 2022 (11H15) Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed, accompanied by the Mayor of Addis Ababa, Adanech Abiebie and other high officials, has inaugurated a Kidney Dialysis Centre at the Menelik II Referral Hospital in Addis Ababa. The launch follows as the City Administration aims to construct a state of the art health facility in Addis Ababa and enhance access to affordable services for the population. The centre is aimed at improving the coverage of kidney dialysis services in public hospitals in Addis Ababa.
GHANA – 30 MAY 2022
- ACCRA – 30 MAY 2022 (14H50) Tema Regional Director of the Commission on Human Rights and Administrative Justice (CHRAJ) Fatimata Mahami has announced that the Commission is expected to expand its offices across Ghana. The announcement has been made during the 13th edition of the Stakeholders Engagement and Workers Appreciation Day Seminar of the Tema Regional Office. The expansion is set to protect the human rights of Ghanaians. Furthermore, the expansion is set to promote administrative justice and improve service delivery in public sectors. Mahami noted that the sub-metro created in the Greater Accra Region and other parts of the country is expected to receive CHRAJ offices. District officers have been deployed to the sub-metros to increase the staff strength in the areas.
KENYA -30 MAY 2022
- KERIO VALLEY – 29 MAY 2022 (20H20) Attack reported in Kerio Valley, Elgeyo Marakwet Area. Elgeyo Marakwet Police Commander, Patrick Lumumba, stated that an unknown armed group attacked the village and shot sporadically, killing four civilians in the process. Lumumba stated that the Police responded to the attack and recovered stolen livestock. Lumumba further stated that the suspected armed group escaped, but the Police have launched a search operation for the suspected armed group.
- NAIROBI – 30 MAY 2022 (06H20) President Julius Maanda Boi of Sierra Leone is in Kenya for a five-day visit ahead of the 2022 Madaraka Day celebrations, which he will attend as Chief Guest on Wednesday, 01 June 2022. President Bio is expected to meet with President Uhuru Kenyatta for bilateral discussions and would sign seven Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) aimed at further enhancing relations. President Bio has also attended the International Day of United Nations (UN) Peacekeepers on Sunday, 29 May 2022.
- MARIAKANI – 30 MAY 2022 (07H15) The Rabai Member of Parliament (MP) William Kamoti has passed on due to a motor vehicle accident in the Mnarani area in Kilifi county on the Mombasa-Malindi highway on Sunday evening, 29 May 2022. His driver, who sustained injuries, has been admitted to the Kilifi County Referral Hospital, while Kamoti’s body was moved to the hospital’s mortuary. Kamoti had been cleared by the Independent Electoral and Boundaries Commission (IEBC) to nominate on an Orange Democratic Movement party ticket for the 09 August 2022 General elections.
- NAIROBI – 30 MAY 2022 (11H00) President Uhuru Kenyatta and First Lady Margaret Kenyatta have received Sierra Leone President Julius Maada Bio and First Lady Fatima Maada Bio at the State House in Nairobi. The two Heads of State are expected to hold discussions aimed at enhancing issues of mutual interest between Kenya and Sierra Leone. President Bio is in Kenya for a five-day visit ahead of the 2022 Madaraka Day celebrations scheduled to take place on Wednesday, 01 June 2022.
LESOTHO – 30 MAY 2022
- MASERU – 30 MAY 2022 (13H00) Lesotho OnePower has announced the construction of a power mini-grid project aimed at providing energy to informal settlements across the country. The Chief Executive Officer of OnePower, Matt Orosz, has stated that the project will be a part of an eight-mini grid project that will provide reliable electricity to more than 30,000 people, 13 health clinics, 25 schools and over 100 small businesses. Meanwhile, construction work has begun, and a power transmission and road crossing over the Senqu River is underway.
MADAGASCAR – 30 MAY 2022
- ANTANANARIVO – 30 MAY 2022 (10H30) President Andry Rajoelina is expected to officiate the Seamless Middle East 2022 on 31 May 2022. The Seamless Middle East 2022 will be held from 31 May 2022 to 01 June 2022 at the Dubai International Convention and Exhibition Centre in Dubai, the United Arab Emirates (UAE). The event will be focused on discussing and sharing knowledge on payments, financial technology, e-commerce, retail and identity. Rajoelina is further expected to meet with high-level delegates of the State of the UAE during the conference. This announcement follows as President Rajoelina is on an official visit to the UAE from 27 May 2022.
MALAWI – 30 MAY 2022
- LILONGWE – 30 MAY 2022 (10H00) The Malawi Police Services (MPS) has confirmed the arrest of Businessman Elvis Nserebo on 30 May 2022 at the Bangwe Township for allegedly defrauding a civilian of approximately K10 million. This follows after Nserebo offered to assist the civilian with forex trading and allegedly fled with the money. Nserebo has been arrested in September 2021 for defrauding the former Deputy Speaker of Parliament, Esther Mcheka-Chilenje, of an estimated K15 million. Nserebo noted that Chilenje is set to receive the school premise where the Maranatha Academy operates if she pays the K15 million. The Police are expected to investigate Nserebo for any additional fraudulent activities.
- MZIMBA – 30 MAY 2022 (17H55) The Mzimba Police have arrested four suspects who allegedly assaulted Maxson Banda on 23 May 2022. Reports indicate that Standwell Mhone, Fiskani Gondwe, Army Swaza Kaluwa and Agness Mbeye assaulted Banda after they accused him of stealing clothes, beddings and other goods. Mbeye allegedly gave Banda to the community members policing the area for interrogation. Banda has been located along the Mzimba Kasungu M1 road by a passerby. Furthermore, the passerby delivered Banda to the Mzimba Police Station, where he was transported to the Mzimba District Hospital. Banda died on Sunday, 29 May 2022, in the hospital.
MOZAMBIQUE -30 MAY 2022
- AVARRA – 30 MAY 2022 (06H00) The Mozambican Minister of Public Works, Carlos Mesquita, has announced that the R766 road between Macomia and Mucojo is expected to resume operations between today, 30 May 2022 and Friday, 03 June 2022, following a site visit of the road. This follows after the road has been damaged by ongoing clashes in the area. Furthermore, the road is set to be the main mobility and trade route of Mozambicans residing in remote communities. The reopening is expected to initiate the return of approximately 45,000 displaced civilians. Following the opening of the R766, the Ministry of Public Roads is set to focus on the road between Mucojo and Quiterajo.
NIGERIA – 30 MAY 2022
- KABBA – 29 MAY 2022 (21H15) Explosion reported in Kabba, Kogi State. Reports indicate that the suspected Islamic State of West Africa Province (ISWAP) launched the attack. Local sources stated that the number of fatalities is yet to be announced as emergency services are still attending the scene.
- ONITSHA – 30 MAY 2022 (02H15) Fire reported at the Anambra Broadcasting Service (ABS) Onitsha Station at approximately 02H15. Police Spokesperson Tochukwu Ikenhga has confirmed the case to be arson committed by unknown suspects. Reports indicate that the suspects set alight a building, a company owned vehicle and a staff member’s vehicle. Furthermore, following the incident, the Police reported several injured staff members. The Police and relevant authorities have been deployed to provide assistance. The Police are expected to launch search operations in the area to apprehend the suspects.
- LAGOS – 30 MAY 2022 (06H10) Nationwide protest expected by the Nigerian Association of the Blind (NAB) today, 30 May 2022. The President of the Association, Ishayaku Adamu, stated that members are expected to protest due to the inability of their members to access financial services across the country independently. Adamu stated that the Central Bank of Nigeria received a one-week ultimatum to address the injustice against the visually impaired Nigerian people before embarking on a nationwide protest. Members of the public are advised to remain vigilant.
- LAGOS – 30 MAY 2022 (08H20) Commercial Motorcycle operators, popularly known as Okada, have announced a planned mass protest in Lagos State from 01 June 2022 against the Government’s decision to ban Okada operations in six Local Government Areas (LGA). The Government has banned the Okada operations in Eti-Osa, Ikeja, Surulere, Lagos Island, Lagos Mainland, and Apapa and also extended to all the Local Council Development Areas under the listed councils as well as all major roads, highways and bridges. The Okada riders have declared a halt to all commercial activities in the Lagos State. Motorists are advised to use an alternative route.
RWANDA – 30 MAY 2022
- KIGALI – 30 MAY 2022 (15H00) The African Union Chairperson, Senegalese President Macky Sall, has requested that the Rwanda and Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) governments establish dialogues with each other. The request follows after March 23 Movement (M23) members engaged in conflict with the Armed Forces of the Democratic Republic of the Congo (FARDC) on 23 May 2022. During the incident, Rocket Propelled Grenades (RPGs) injured several civilians across the border. Kigali authorities stated that the Democratic Forces for the Liberation of Rwanda (FDLR) militiamen and FARDC troops have allegedly kidnapped two patrolling Rwandan soldiers.
TANZANIA -30 MAY 2022
- DODOMA – 30 MAY 2022 (14H05) The Minister of Foreign Affairs and East African Cooperation, Ambassador Liberata Mulamula, is set to announce the Revenue and Expenditure Estimates for the 2022/2023 financial year on 31 May 2022. The meeting is set to commence at approximately 04H00 at the Dodoma Parliament building. The meeting is expected to provide the public with the estimated revenue and expenses of various businesses, Government institutions and others.
ZAMBIA – 330 MAY 2022
- LUSAKA – 30 MAY 2022 (15H25) The Immigration Department in Lusaka has identified approximately 436 illegal immigrants in Zambia. This announcement has been confirmed by Public Relations Officer Namati Nshinka following a three-day operation by the Immigration Department. During the operation, the Department detained 313 alleged illegal immigrants, of which 57 produced their proof of legal immigration status, and 72 are expected to report to the immigration offices. Furthermore, the Department apprehended 202 additional civilians on 29 May 2022. The illegal immigrants are expected to report to the Department of Immigration for further investigations.
ZIMBABWE – 30 MAY 2022
- HARARE – 30 MAY 2022 (00H25) The Zimbabwe Government has announced expected plans for the mid-term budget review meetings to commence this week. The Government stated that five meetings are expected to take place today, 30 May 2022, which include one in Mashonaland Central Province, two in Harare, one in Binga and one in Mutare. Chairperson of the Budget, Finance and Economic Development Portfolio Committee, Matthew Nyashanum, stated that the budget review meetings are expected to discuss the implementation of new policy measures to cushion the economy from internal and global economic surprises. Nyashanum stated that the mid-term fiscal policy review is expected to be held in July 2022.
UPCOMING EVENTS – 30 MAY 2022
- MOZAMBIQUE: The Mozambican Minister of Public Works, Carlos Mesquita, has announced that the R766 road between Macomia and Mucojo is expected to resume operations between 30 May 2022 and 03 June 2022 following a site visit of the road.
- NIGERIA: Nationwide protest expected by the Nigerian Association of the Blind (NAB) on 30 May 2022.
- REP. CONGO: Private Sector Foundation Uganda (PSFU) Executive Director Stephen Asiimwe announced plans for the first Uganda-Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) Business Summit from 31 May 2022 until 08 June 2022 in Kinshasa and Goma.
- TANZANIA: The Tanzanian Government has announced the implementation of several measures in response to recent increasing prices in Tanzania, including a fuel subsidy with effect from 01 June 2022.
- MOZAMBIQUE: Mozambique is expected to launch the operations of several new toll gates on 01 June 2022.
- REP. CONGO: The Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) is expected to conduct its annual DRC Mining Week exhibition and conference event at the Pullman Grand Karavia centre in Lubumbashi between 01 June 2022 and 03 June 2022.
- MOZAMBIQUE: President of the Republic Filipe Nyusi is expected to launch the 8th Edition of the Mining, Oil, Gas and Energy of Mozambique event from 02 June 2022 until 03 June 2022 at the Joaquim Chissano Conference Centre in Maputo.
- RWANDA: The International Telecommunication Union, through its Telecommunication Development Bureau (BDT), has scheduled to convene a World Telecommunication Development Conference (WTDC), scheduled to be held in Kigali, Rwanda, from 06 June 2022 to 16 June 2022.
- NIGERIA: The Lagos State Government is scheduled to host the maiden edition of the National Transport Technology Conference and Exhibition (NTTCE) between 07 June 2022 and 08 June 2022 at Eko Hotels and Suites.
- RWANDA: Rwandan President Paul Kagame and Commonwealth Secretary-General Patricia Scotland have announced the week of 20 June 2022 as the date for the Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting (CHOGM) to be held in Kigali, Rwanda.
- ZAMBIA: Zambian Minister of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation, Stanley Kakubo, has announced that Zambia is expected to host the 4th Africa Union (AU) Mid-Year Coordinating meeting from 14 July 2022 until 17 July 2022.
- MALAWI: President Lazarus Chakwera is expected to address Malawians on the second anniversary of his election, 23 June 2022.
- KENYA: Kenya’s Independent Electoral and Boundaries Commission (IEBC) has announced that general elections are scheduled to be held on 09 August 2022.
- RWANDA: Rwanda is scheduled to host the African Green Revolution Forum (AGRF) from 05 September 2022 until 09 September 2022.
- ANGOLA: Energy Capital and Power (ECP) has announced that the 2022 Edition of Angola Oil and Gas (AOG) is expected to be held from 29 November 2022 until 01 December 2022.
- RWANDA: The Africa Centres for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) is expected to host the second Annual International Conference on Public Health in Africa (CPHIA 2022) between 13 December 2022 and 15 December 2022 in Kigali, Rwanda.
- NIGERIA: The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) has announced that Nigeria is expected to conduct elections on 25 February 2023 and 11 March 2023.
- NIGERIA: The Federal Ministry of Petroleum Resources has announced plans for the Sixth Edition of Nigeria’s International Energy Summit (NIES 2023) in Abuja from 16 April 2023 until 20 April 2023.
- MOZAMBIQUE: Mozambique’s National Elections Commission (CNE) has approved a proposal that schedules 11 October 2023 as the date for the sixth municipal elections across the country.
Website: www.willshir.com – 2022 ©️ Willshir & Associates
Willshir & Associates – Business Intelligence Program (SB)