- This event has passed.
WILLSHIR – SOUTH AFRICA – TIMELINE – 01 FEB 2022 (19H00)
SOUTH AFRICA – EASTERN CAPE – 01 FEB 2022.
- QUEENSTOWN – 01 FEB 2022 (06H10) The Portfolio Committee on Agriculture, Land Reform and Rural Development is expected to conduct an oversight visit to Gwatyu from today, 01 February 2022, until Thursday, 03 February 2022. The visit follows after a committee resolution in December 2021 to visit the area after receiving complaints from the community, traditional leaders and former farmworkers regarding the rightful ownership of land. The committee is expected to hold a meeting with King Dalimvula Matanzima of the AbaThembu Royal House. The committee will receive a historical account of the displacement of communities from Gwatyu and hold a briefing session with government departments, Chris Hani Local Municipality and civil society organisations.
SOUTH AFRICA – FREE STATE – 01 FEB 2022
- TROMPSBURG – 01 FEB 2022 (10H40) The Xhariep District Municipality has received R90-million for road infrastructure projects from the South African Road Agency SOS limited (SANRAL). The Transformation Officer of Sanral. James Takalo stated that the investment is set to upgrade roads from Springfontein to Trompsburg and provide employment for the residents.
- BLOEMFONTEIN – 01 FEB 2022 (12H15) The South African Government Association (SALGA) is expected to elect a new Provincial Executive Committee, today 01 February 2022. The association deals with various social aspects, including politics, local government issues at the municipalities, economic development, and policies, amongst others. The PEC is expected to hold a media brief on the development at municipalities across the province that battle to provide adequate service delivery.
SOUTH AFRICA – GAUTENG – 01 FEB 2022
- TSHWANE/ PRETORIA – 01 FEB 2022 (07H00) President Cyril Ramaphosa is expected to receive the second part of the State Capture Inquiry report today, 01 February 2022. This follows after two weeks after the first report was handed over to Ramaphosa and made public.
- JOHANNESBURG – 01 FEB 2022 (12H50) The Passenger Rail Agency of South Africa (PRASA) Board of Control (BOC) is expected to hold a media brief today, 01 February 2022 from 14H00 at the Umjantshi House. PRASA is expected to brief on its achievements and progress made in turning around PRASA since the appointment of Leonard Ramatlakane. The BOC will also outline the work that is currently underway to address challenges faced by PRASA.
- SOWETO – 01 FEB 2022 (14H45) Eskom has resumed with the installation of prepaid split meters in Dlamini, Soweto, under the heavy guard of armed security officials. The power utility returned to the area on Monday, 31 January 2022, after being chased away and prevented from resuming the project. Eskom arranged for the protection of Eskom employees while they operate in Dlamini. This follows after residents have assaulted, intimidated and placed Eskom employees in extreme situations such as being held hostage.
- TSHWANE/ PRETORIA – 01 FEB 2022 (11H50) UPDATE Demonstrators have dispersed at the Lotus Gardens Secondary School. Motorists are advised to remain vigilant. Police are monitoring the situation. Parents and students have been protesting after the Gauteng Department of Education failed to deliver mobile classrooms. (11H50) Protest reported outside Lotus Gardens Secondary School. The demonstrators are protesting due to the poor maintenance at the school. The demonstrators have barricaded the entrance of the school. Members of the public are advised to avoid the area and use alternative routes. Police have been dispatched.
- TSHWANE/ PRETORIA – 01 FEB 2022 (15H45) President Cyril Ramaphosa has signed into law three new pieces of legislation aimed at strengthening efforts to end Gender-Based Violence (GBV) and crime in South Africa. The laws aim to change the landscape regarding how government departments, law enforcement, and the courts deal with cases of violent crime. The three new legislations include the Criminal Law Amendment Bill, the Criminal and Related Matters Amendment Bill and the Domestic Violence Amendment Bill.
- SOWETO – 01 FEB 2022 (15H50) UPDATE Demonstrators have dispersed outside the Tlholohelo Primary School in Moletsane. Motorists are advised to remain vigilant. Police are monitoring the situation. (11H10) Protest reported outside the Tlholohelo Primary School in Moletsane. Parents are protesting due to schools’ daily operations without electricity. The demonstrators demand Eskom to restore electricity in the school. The demonstrators have barricaded the entrance of the school. Members of the public are advised to avoid the area and use alternative routes. Police have been dispatched.
- TSHWANE/ PRETORIA – 01 FEB 2022 (16H00) UPDATE Demonstrators have dispersed at the Union Buildings. Motorists are advised to remain vigilant. Police are monitoring the situation. (13H20) The MKMVA and APLA have arrived at the Union Buildings and are addressing the members. The members demand to meet with President Cyril Ramaphosa. The members demand payment of R4.2 million each, agricultural land, and a financial institution that would provide veterans with funding to start businesses. (11H20) The members of the MKMVA and APLA and supporters are marching to the Union Buildings. (11H00) Protest reported outside the Pretoria Magistrate Court. The demonstrators are protesting in support of the Umkhonto weSizwe Military Veterans Association (MKMVA), Azanian People’s Liberation Army (APLA) members that were arrested at St George Hotel in 2021 following a meeting between a Government delegation and liberation military veterans that collapsed. The Magistrate has postponed the case to Tuesday, 17 May 2022. Motorists are advised to be vigilant. Police are on the scene.
- HAMMANSKRAAL – 01 FEB 2022 (16H45) Protest reported at the R101 and R734 intersection in Hammanskraal. Demonstrators are barricading the road with burning tyres and debris. Motorists are advised to use alternative routes. Police are on the scene.
SOUTH AFRICA – KWAZULU-NATAL – 01 FEB 2022
- GAMALAKHE – 01 FEB 2022 (08H10) Premier Sihle Zikalala is expected to lead a district-wide citizenry and stakeholder engagement session today, 01 February 2022, from 09H00 at the Ugu Sports and Leisure centre. The session will be held to outline a plan of action that seeks to address the persistent water crisis in the Ugu District Municipality, which is damaging the tourism sector and threatening livelihoods. The Premier’s visit will create a platform for stakeholders representing their respective constituencies to robustly reflect on the water crisis to reach causal factors and oversee the implementation of the Water Turnaround Plan for the Ugu District. Zikalala will be accompanied by the Member of the Executive Council (MEC) of Economic Development, Tourism and Environmental Affairs, Ravi Pillay, MEC of Cooperative Governance and Traditional Affairs, Sipho Hlomuka, Mayors of local municipalities and Councillors.
- DURBAN – 01 FEB 2022 (14H45) A heightened security presence is reported at the University of KwaZulu-Natal’s Pietermaritzburg and Westville campuses. Calm has been restored at the campuses. This follows after the campus protest actions on Monday, 31 January 2022, against the online registration policy.
- UMBUMBULU – 01 FEB 2022 (16H40) UPDATE Police have arrested one suspect after negotiations. The hostages have not been injured. Police are still searching for three other suspects in connection to the robbery. (14H20) Hostage situation reported in uMbumbulu south of Durban. An unknown number of suspects who fled a robbery scene gained entry into a house and is holding the family hostage. The suspects are armed. Specialised hostage negotiators are on the scene to facilitate the release of the hostages. Motorists are advised to avoid the area.
SOUTH AFRICA – LIMPOPO – 01 FEB 2022
- POLOKWANE/ PIETERSBURG – 01 FEB 2022 (09H00) The Democratic Nursing Organisation of South Africa (DENOSA) has called for the suspension of all officials within the Provincial Health Department that are implicated in the Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) procurement corruption. This follows after the Special Unit Investigation (SIU) report found the Head of Department, Thokozile Mhlongo, Deputy Director General (DDG) Muthei Dombo, Chief Financial Officer (CFO) Justice Mudau and the Supply Chain Management Directors to be implicated in several procurement irregularities and maladministration. The DENOSA Provincial Chairperson, Lesiba Monyaki, stated that the report findings indicated shortage and poor quality of the PPE’s and there must be disciplinary action and criminal charges without delay.
- POLOKWANE/PIETERSBURG – 01 FEB 2022 (16H10) UPDATE Demonstrators have dispersed outside the Department of Human Settlements and Traditional Affairs. Motorists are advised to remain vigilant. Police are monitoring the situation. (13H00) Protest reported outside the Limpopo Department of Cooperative Governance Human Settlements and Traditional Affairs. Members of the Congress of Traditional Leaders of South Africa are protesting against the restructuring of Tribal Offices. The demonstrators have barricaded the entrance of the building. Members of the public are advised to be vigilant. Police have been dispatched.
- UITSPANNING – 01 FEB 2022 (17H30) Protest reported on the R25 at Uitspanning. Demonstrators are barricading the road with burning tyres and debris. Motorists are advised to use alternative routes. Police are on the scene.
SOUTH AFRICA – MPUMALANGA – 01 FEB 2022
- MBOMBELA/ NELSPRUIT – 01 FEB 2022 (13H45) Accused Julius Mndawe is expected to appear in the Mpumalanga Division of the High Court today, 01 February 2022. Mndawe has plead guilty to charges of murder. Mndawe is accused of killing five victims between 2018 and 2019 at Numbi Village in Hazyview. He was arrested after a cellphone of one of the victims was found in his possession in 2019.
- RIETKUIL– 01 FEB 2022 (16H15) UPDATE Demonstrators have dispersed in the vicinity of Eskom Arnot Power Station. Motorists are advised to remain vigilant. Police are monitoring the situation. (07H25) Protest reported in the vicinity of Eskom Arnot Power Station. Trucks and Tankers have blockaded the road. Motorists are advised to avoid the area and use alternative routes. Police have been dispatched.
SOUTH AFRICA – NORTH WEST – 01 FEB 2022
- RUSTENBURG – 01 FEB 2022 (06H00) The Minister of Water and Sanitation (DWS), Senzo Mchunu, with the Deputy Ministers, David Mahlobo and Dikeledi Magadzi, are expected to meet with Premier Bushy Maape and the Provincial Executive during a three-day Ministerial working session today, 01 February 2022, until Thursday, 03 February 2022 at the Anew Resort in Rustenburg. The 3-day working session will allow key stakeholders to exchange views on the current water status of the province.
- CHRISTIANA – 01 FEB 2022 (10H00) Protest reported on the N12 in the vicinity of the Christiana landfill site. The demonstrators have barricaded the road with burning tyres and debris. Motorists are advised to avoid the area and use alternative routes. Police have been dispatched.
- MAHIKENG – 01 FEB 2022 (12H30) The United States of America’s (USA) Consul General in the country, Vincent Spera, is expected to conduct a three-day working visit in the province from today, 01 February 2022. Spera is expected to engage with a Provincial Delegation led by the Member of the Executive Council (MEC) for Economic Development, Environment, Conservation and Tourism, Kenetswe Mosenogi, on possible economic opportunities between the parties. Spera is also expected to engage the management of North West Development Corporation, which is facing financial strain and the Integrated Economic Development Services. Spera will, on the second day, engage the leadership of the local municipality as well as traditional leaders in the area.
- WOLMARANSSTAD – 01 FEB 2022 (14H00) UPDATE Residents of Maquassi Hills Local Municipality has shut down the municipality offices after Municipal Manager, Jeffrey Leseisane, was placed on special leave on Monday, 31 January 2022, for allegedly being improperly appointed. Residents are concerned regarding the municipality management. Demonstrators stated that the municipality should, instead of appointing and dismissing staff members holding crucial positions, the municipality must focus on service delivery. (11H30) Protest reported outside the Maquassi Hills Local Municipality. The demonstrators are protesting due to poor service delivery. The demonstrators have barricaded the area with burning tyres and debris. Motorists are advised to avoid the area and use alternative routes. Police have been dispatched.
SOUTH AFRICA – NORTHERN CAPE – 01 FEB 2022
- KAKAMAS – 01 FEB 2022 (06H30) The African National Congress (ANC) has threatened to boycott the by-elections in Ward 2 Kai! Garib Municipality. This follows after allegations of unlawful intentions to sway votes to the opposition parties. The ANC will be contesting the elections with Hope for the Future, the Democratic Alliance (DA) and the Economic Freedom Fighters (EFF). The elections come after the passing of an ANC candidate before the November 2021 Local Government Elections.
SOUTH AFRICA – WESTERN CAPE – 01 FEB 2022
- TULBACH – 01 FEB 2022 (15H00) Road closure reported on the R46 between Tulbach and Wolseley. The road is closed due to a motor vehicle accident. Motorists are advised to use alternative routes. Emergency services are on the scene. Recovery is in progress.
UPCOMING EVENTS – 01 FEB 2022
- KAKAMAS: The KAI ! GARIB Municipality is expected to hold its by-elections on Wednesday, 02 February 2022.
- CAPE TOWN: President Cyril Ramaphosa is scheduled to deliver his State of the Nation Address (SONA) to the Joint Sitting of the National Assembly and the National Council of Provinces on Thursday, 10 February 2022, at 19H00.
- TSHWANE/ PRETORIA: Finance Minister Enoch Godongwana is expected to deliver the inaugural National Budget Speech on Wednesday, 23 February 2022.
- JOHANNESBURG: South African Airways (SAA) announced that it will resume flights to Durban with three daily return flights from 04 March 2022.
Website: www.willshir.com – 2022 ©️ Willshir & Associates
Willshir & Associates – Business Intelligence Program (JK)