- This event has passed.
WILLSHIR – SOUTH AFRICA – TIMELINE – 01 MAR 2022 (10H00)
SOUTH AFRICA – EASTERN CAPE – 01 MAR 2022
- EAST LONDON – 01 MAR 2022 (06H10) Economic Freedom Fighters (EFF) leader Julius Malema is expected to appear in the East London Magistrate’s Court on Tuesday, 01 March 2022, after the State prosecutor resigned from the case. Malema made a brief appearance with co-accused Adriaan Snyman, who is a private security company owner today, 28 February 2022. State Advocate Joel Cesar, who has now taken over the case, asked for the postponement, saying he still needs to go through the statements and consult with witnesses. Malema’s defence has argued against any further postponement to accommodate the newly appointed State prosecutor. Malema is accused of firing an automatic rifle at the EFF’s fifth-anniversary celebrations at the Sisa Dukashe Stadium in Mdantsane in 2018. Malema is facing charges of illegal possession of firearms, contravention of the Firearms Control Act, the illegal possession of ammunition, and reckless endangerment to persons or property.
SOUTH AFRICA – FREE STATE – 01 MAR 2022
- BLOEMFONTEIN – 28 FEB 2022 (19H45) The Mangaung Metropolitan Municipality (MMM) is intensifying its credit control and debt collection measures, which include the restriction of water supply to defaulting consumers. The Head of Communications of the MMM, Qondile Khedama, stated that this forms part of the efforts to improve the City’s financial health and recover the debt owed to the municipality by businesses, government and residents. The total outstanding debt is R7,91-billion. Most consumers have received letters of demand, and those who have not received letters will receive them timeously before disconnections.
- BLOEMFONTEIN – 01 MAR 2022 (06H15) The Mangaung Concerned Community (MCC) is expected to meet with the Member of the Executive (MEC) for Cooperative Governance and Traditional Affairs (Cogta), Mxolisi Dukwana, today, 01 March 2022, to discuss the way forward regarding service delivery. This follows after a brief meeting between the two parties outside the Dr Molemela Indoor Sports Centre on Monday, 28 February 2022, where MCC members protested.
SOUTH AFRICA – GAUTENG – 01 MAR 2022
- TSHWANE/ PRETORIA – 28 FEB 2022 (21H00) President Cyril Ramaphosa has made several senior appointments to the National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) today, 28 February 2022. The President has appointed Advocate Andrea Johnson as the new Head of the NPA Investigating Directorate (ID) with effect from 01 March 2022. Johnson takes over this responsibility from Advocate Hermione Cronje at an important time in the country’s effort to act decisively against individuals involved in state capture and corruption.
- TSHWANE/PRETORIA – 01 MAR 2022 (06H05) Protest expected by the members affiliated with the South African Cabin Crew Association (SACCA) and the National Union of Metalworkers of South Africa (NUMSA) on Tuesday, 01 March 2022, at the Department of Public Enterprises from 09H00. SACCA and NUMSA members are expected to protest against corruption and job losses. The demonstrators are expected to handover a memorandum of demands. The demonstrators are expected to disperse from 12H00. Motorists are advised to avoid the area and use alternative routes. Police will be deployed to monitor the area.
- JOHANNESBURG – 01 MAR 2022 (07H05) The Human Rights Commission’s hearings of the July 2021 unrest is expected to hear the evidence from the South African National Defence Force (SANDF) Chief General, Rudzani Maphwanya, today 01 March 2022. The commission rescheduled Maphwanya’s appearance due to his failure to appear at the commission. This after the SANDF cited communication challenges on its part.
- TSHWANE/PRETORIA – 01 MAR 2022 (09H40) Protest expected by the members affiliated with the Congress of the South African Trade Union (COSATU) on Thursday, 03 March 2022 at the Israel Embassy from 10H00. The demonstrators are expected to march to the embassy in solidarity with the Palestinians. Motorists are advised to avoid the area and use alternative routes. Police will be deployed to monitor the area.
SOUTH AFRICA – KWAZULU-NATAL – 01 MAR 2022
- DURBAN – 01 MAR 2022 (06H00) Peaceful protest expected by Durban University of Technology (DUT) students at the DUT Steve Biko Campus today, 01 March 2022 at 16H00. This follows after several DUT students have been denied access to the DUT campus and student accommodation due to their failure to present COVID-19 vaccination certificates. Motorists are advised to avoid the Steve Biko Gate 3 entrance during the demonstrations.
- PIETERMARITZBURG – 01 MAR 2022 (07H20) The Pietermaritzburg High Court is expected to hand down its ruling today, 01 March 2022, on the disputes between members of the AmaZulu royal family following the passing of King Goodwill Zwelithini kaBhekuzulu in March 2021. The late king’s first wife, Queen Sibongile Zulu and her two daughters are challenging the validity of the King’s will.
SOUTH AFRICA – LIMPOPO – 01 MAR 2022
- LENYENYE-A – 28 FEB 2022 (20H15) Community members have been disrupting a water scheme project in Mopani District Municipality’s ward 32 in the Ritavi area. The Community members are demanding a fair opportunity to be hired as labourers. The R40 million project has been at a standstill for eleven days. The community members claim that those hired are close to the ward councillor. The Ritavi Regional Water Scheme phase 3 project is being implemented in 5 wards, including Ward 32, which consists of villages such as Muhlava Cross, Shikwambana, Wisani and Moime.
- LAERSDRIF – 01 MAR 2022 (08H40) Protest reported on the R555 in Laersdrif towards Burgersfort. The demonstrators are protesting due to unpaid salaries. The demonstrators have barricaded the road with burning tyres and debris. Motorists are advised to avoid the area and use alternative routes. Police have been dispatched.
SOUTH AFRICA – MPUMALANGA – 01 MAR 2022
- MBOMBELA/ NELSPRUIT – 28 FEB 2022 (20H00) The African National Congress’s (ANCs) National Working Committee (NWC) has heard recommendations to disband its Provincial Executive Committees (PECs) in Mpumalanga and the Eastern Cape. This is before the PEC is expected to hold its elective conferences. The NWC heard the proposal following the top officials meeting today, 28 February 2022. Both provinces’ mandates have been overdue, with Mpumalanga having failed to elect a leader since the departure of Deputy President David Mabuza in 2016.
SOUTH AFRICA – NORTH WEST – 01 MAR 2022
- MAHIKENG – 01 MAR 2022 (08H30) The Public Protector, Busisiwe Mkhwebane and the Deputy Public Protector, Kholeka Gcaleka, is expected to visit the province today, 01 March 2022, from 09H30. The two officials are expected to hold a meeting with the Speaker of the Provincial Legislature, Susana Dantjie, Premier, Bushy Maape, the Executive Council, Traditional Leaders, the provincial Director-General (DG) and the Heads of Department in Mafikeng. Mkhwebane and Gcaleka will then proceed to Nyetse and Reagile villages outside Zeerust in the Ramatshere Moiloa Local Municipality at 14H40, where they will conduct inspections related to service delivery.
SOUTH AFRICA – NORTHERN CAPE – 01 MAR 2022
- POSTMASBURG – 01 MAR 2022 (09H05) Premier Zamani Saul has announced that work is progressing at the Redstone Concentrated Solar Power Project in Postmasburg, which is expected to bring additional power to the country’s energy network. Saul stated that the project comprises 100 Megawatts of Concentrated Solar Power (CSP). The plant will be constructed over 31 months, achieving full commercial operation by October 2023. It will be capable of producing approximately 480 gigawatt-hours (GWh) net of renewable energy annually, with a nominal net generating capacity of approximately 100 megawatts (MW). The Project’s Sponsors are ACWA Power and SolarReserve. ACWA Power is a developer, investor, co-owner and operator of a portfolio of power generation and desalinated water production plants with operations in twelve countries in the Middle East, North Africa, Southern Africa and South-East Asia regions. The Redstone CSP Project is expected to have 12 hours of full-load energy storage, enabling the power plant to reliably deliver a stable electricity supply to more than 200,000 citizens during peak demands.
SOUTH AFRICA – WESTERN CAPE – 01 MAR 2022
- CAPE TOWN – 28 FEB 2022 (20H30) The Passenger Rail Agency of South Africa (PRASA) announced that it has been granted a commercial licence to run the blue electric trains as part of the People’s Train programme on the Southern Line in Cape Town. The decision comes at a time when PRASA wants to increase efforts to bring more rail corridors back to operation across the country. PRASA stated that People’s Train is part of its modernisation programme that aims to bring state-of-the-art rail service to South Africans.
UPCOMING EVENTS – 01 MAR 2022
- EAST LONDON: Economic Freedom Fighters (EFF) leader Julius Malema is expected to appear in the East London Magistrate’s Court on Tuesday, 01 March 2022.
- TSHWANE/ PRETORIA: Protest expected by the National Education, Health and Allied Workers’ Union (NEHAWU) on Wednesday, 02 March 2022, from 10H00 at the United States of America (USA) Embassy.
- CAPE TOWN: Protest expected by the members of The Green Connection on Wednesday, 02 March 2022 from 12H00 on Lower Long Street.
- TSHWANE/PRETORIA: Protest expected by the members of the United Eswatini Diaspora on Wednesday, 02 March 2022 at the Eswatini Embassy.
- JOHANNESBURG: South African Airways (SAA) announced that it will resume flights to Durban with three daily return flights from 04 March 2022.
- MANKWENG: Protest expected at the University of Limpopo, Turfloop Campus on 04 March 2022 at 10H00.
- SOWETO: Peaceful protest expected at the Orlando Stadium from 11H00 on 05 March 2022.
- CAPE TOWN: Protest expected on Saturday, 19 March 20202 at the Paarden Kraal Pub from 11H00.
- PORT ELIZABETH/GQEBERHA: Protest expected on Saturday, 19 March 2022 at Nelson Mandela Bay Stadium from 10H00.
- JOHANNESBURG: Peaceful protest expected by members of Kopanang Africa Against Xenophobia movement on Monday, 21 March 2022, at the office of the Premier.
Website: www.willshir.com – 2022 ©️ Willshir & Associates
Willshir & Associates – Business Intelligence Program (LN)