- This event has passed.
WILLSHIR – SOUTH AFRICA – TIMELINE – 02 MAR 2022 (10H00)
SOUTH AFRICA – EASTERN CAPE – 02 MAR 2022
- EAST LONDON – 01 MAR 2022 (20H00) Protest reported on Fitzpatrick Road in Quigney. Students are barricading the road with burning tyres and debris. Motorists are advised to avoid the area. Police are monitoring the situation.
- STUTTERHEIM – 01 MAR 2022 (22H00) Road closure reported on the N6 between Cathcart and Stutterheim. Reports indicate that the road has been closed due to a truck that is on fire. This follows after the heavy motor vehicle had allegedly been petrol bombed by unknown suspects. The truck operator has reportedly sustained injuries during the incident. Authorities are on the scene. Motorists are advised to use alternative routes.
- EAST LONDON – 02 MAR 2022 (06H10) Protest reported on Oxford Street. The demonstrators have barricaded the road with burning tyres and debris. Motorists are advised to avoid the area and use alternative routes. Police have been dispatched.
SOUTH AFRICA – FREE STATE – 02 MAR 2022
- BLEOMFONTEIN – 02 MAR 2022 (06H40) Protest reported between the N1 and Dewetsdorp Road. The demonstrators have barricaded the road with burning tyres and debris. Motorists are advised to avoid the area and use alternative routes. Police have been dispatched.
- SASOLBURG – 02 MAR 2022 (06H50) The Metsimaholo Local Municipality has announced a planned power outage today, 02 March 2022, from 08H00 until 19H00. The power interruption will be conducted to prevent further damage to the transformer due to the cable theft incident that recently happened. The Municipality stated that updates will be provided to the public as the situation progresses.
SOUTH AFRICA – GAUTENG – 02 MAR 2022
- JOHANNESBURG – 01 MAR 2022 (20H00) Eldo Coaches has informed employees that the company is experiencing financial difficulties and will delay the payment of employee salaries for February 2022. This is due to breakdowns that led to many vehicles being off the road. The company had to pay external services providers to refund passengers and compensate them for delays. Therefore, Eldo Coaches paid 50% of the payslip amount on 28 February 2022. The remaining amount will be paid by Monday, 07 March 2022.
- TSHWANE/ PRETORIA – 01 MAR 2022 (22H10) South African Ambassador to Ukraine Andre Groenewald has confirmed that South African Diplomats have evacuated from Ukraine due to safety concerns. This follows the ongoing conflict between Russia and Ukraine. Groenewald has stated that South African Diplomats have been safely evacuated from the country.
- TSHWANE/PRETORIA – 02 MAR 2022 (06H00) Protest expected by the National Education, Health and Allied Workers’ Union (NEHAWU) on Wednesday, 02 March 2022, from 10H00 at the United States of America (USA) Embassy. NEHAWU is expected to lead an international campaign against the North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) aggression. The campaign is against the anti-Russia provocations of NATO in Ukraine and in support of the people of Latin America, specifically in Venezuela, Brazil and Cuba, and against the USA Government for promoting and interfering in conflicts and aggression in these countries. It is also a campaign for the democratisation of eSwatini, against the killing, imprisonment and oppression of eSwatini nationals by the Tinkundla regime.
- TSHWANE/PRETORIA – 02 MAR 2022 (06H10) Protest expected by the members of the United Eswatini Diaspora today, 02 March 2022, at the Eswatini Embassy. The demonstrators are expected to gather at the United States of America (USA) Embassy and march to the Eswatini Embassy. The demonstrators are expected to protest to demand the end of the Tinkundla System. Motorists are advised to avoid the area and use alternative routes. Police will be deployed to monitor the area.
SOUTH AFRICA – KWAZULU-NATAL – 02 MAR 2022
- DURBAN – 01 MAR 2022 (19H00) Road closure reported on the N2 at the Queen Nandi Drive intersection. The road is closed due to a bus accident. A heavy traffic delay is reported. Motorists are advised to use alternative routes. Emergency services are on the scene.
- PIETERMARITZBURG – 01 MAR 2022 (22H40) The KwaZulu-Natal Department of Cooperative Governance and Traditional Affairs (COGTA) has announced that disaster management teams have been placed on high alert to address expected adverse weather conditions across the province. This follows after the South African Weather Service issued a warning of inclement weather conditions that are expected to affect several districts in the province, including Harry Gwala, uThukela, Umgungundlovu, Amajuba, Umzinyathi and Zululand. The adverse weather is expected to include increased rainfalls and thunderstorms with the possibility of localised flooding, hail, and excessive lightning activity from today, 01 March 2022. Residents are advised to exercise caution and avoid travelling on bridges and roads in low-lying areas.
- UMLAZI – 02 MAR 2022 (06H15) Protest reported on Mangosuthu Highway/M30 in the vicinity of Comtech Park. The demonstrators have barricaded the road with burning tyres and debris. Motorists are advised to avoid the area and use alternative routes. Police have been dispatched.
- KWAGINGINDLOVU – 02 MAR 2022 (08H30) Protest reported on the R102 between KwaGingindlovu and Mtunzini. The demonstrators are protesting due to service delivery. The demonstrators have barricaded the road with burning tyres and debris. Motorists are advised to avoid the area and use alternative routes.
- DURBAN – 02 MAR 2022 (08H50) Shooting reported on Grey Street. Motorists are advised to avoid the area and use alternative routes. Police have been dispatched.
SOUTH AFRICA – LIMPOPO – 02 MAR 2022
- GIYANI – 01 MAR 2022 (19H30) The Mopani District Municipality announced that it will be initiating its own processes to recover over R3-million paid to a service provider for work not done in a borehole project. This follows after the Economic Freedom Fighters (EFF) revealed it intends to open a case of corruption against the former Municipal Manager, Quiet Kgatla. The work relates to the installation of electric transformers to connect boreholes in various villages in the area. A Special Investigating Unit report found that Kgatla authorised payments of the work that was not carried out.
SOUTH AFRICA – MPUMALANGA – 02 MAR 2022
- MIDDELBURG – 01 MAR 2022 (21H20) Middelburg Government officials have confirmed the resignation of Steve Tshwete Local Municipality Manager, Bheki Khinisa. The Municipal Manager’s resignation follows recent demands from the Municipality’s employees for Khinisa to step down from the position. The employees also launched an industrial action several times to demand Khinisa’s removal. The Municipality is yet to announce a replacement for the position.
SOUTH AFRICA – NORTH WEST – 02 MAR 2022
- POTCHEFSTROOM – 02 MAR 2022 (09H15) The Regional Court has postponed the former Executive Mayor of JB Marks Local Municipality, Khotso Khumalo and two co-accused, to Thursday, 07 April 2022, for trial. The trio faces eight charges of theft and fraud from the Municipality funds.
SOUTH AFRICA – NORTHERN CAPE – 02 MAR 2022
- KIMBERLEY – 02 MAR 2022 (08H05) The Sol Plaatje University has announced that students will face a disciplinary hearing following a protest that lead to the disruption of classes and the halt of construction work on the South Campus. The senior manager in the vice-chancellor’s office, Kashini Maistry, stated that Student Representative Council (SRC) had requested that the vice-chancellor and principal on Monday, 28 February 2022 receive a memorandum of demands. Maistry added that after the memorandum was accepted, the students continued with the protest however, it was not peaceful.
SOUTH AFRICA – WESTERN CAPE – 02 MAR 2022
- STELLENBOCH – 01 MAR 2022 (20H20) Peaceful protest reported on Banghoek Road near the Stellenboch University. Students are marching against the Russia and Ukraine conflict. Motorists are advised to be vigilant. Police are aware of the situation.
- CAPE TOWN – 01 MAR 2022 (21H30) Former Western Cape Community Safety Member of Executive (MEC) Albert Fritz has resigned from his position as Democratic Alliance (DA) provincial leader. Fritz’s resignation follows after provincial Premier Alan Winde recently announced the removal of Fritz from his cabinet due to allegations of sexual misconduct. Further independent investigations into the allegations are ongoing.
- CAPE TOWN – 02 MAR 2022 (06H05) Protest expected by the members of The Green Connection today, 02 March 2022, from 12H00 on Lower Long Street. The demonstrators are expected to protest against the seismic surveys on the West Coast. The demonstrators are expected to disperse from 12H00. Motorists are advised to avoid the area and use alternative routes. Police will be deployed to monitor the area.
UPCOMING EVENTS – 02 MAR 2022
- TSHWANE/PRETORIA: Protest expected by the members affiliated with the Congress of the South African Trade Union (COSATU) on Thursday, 03 March 2022 at the Israel Embassy from 10H00.
- JOHANNESBURG: South African Airways (SAA) announced that it will resume flights to Durban with three daily return flights from 04 March 2022.
- MANKWENG: Protest expected at the University of Limpopo, Turfloop Campus on 04 March 2022 at 10H00.
- SOWETO: Peaceful protest expected at the Orlando Stadium from 11H00 on 05 March 2022.
- CAPE TOWN: Protest expected on Saturday, 19 March 20202 at the Paarden Kraal Pub from 11H00.
- PORT ELIZABETH/GQEBERHA: Protest expected on Saturday, 19 March 2022 at Nelson Mandela Bay Stadium from 10H00.
- JOHANNESBURG: Peaceful protest expected by members of Kopanang Africa Against Xenophobia movement on Monday, 21 March 2022, at the office of the Premier.
Website: www.willshir.com – 2022 ©️ Willshir & Associates
Willshir & Associates – Business Intelligence Program (LN)