- This event has passed.
WILLSHIR – SOUTH AFRICA – TIMELINE – 02 MAY 2022 (19H00)
SOUTH AFRICA – EASTERN CAPE – 02 MAY 2022
• JEFFREYS BAY – 02 MAY 2022 (01H45) The Eastern Cape Police Service has urged the public to assist in their search operation. The search operation has expectedly been established following the body that has been found inside a parked car along the R102 near Jeffreys Bay. Reports indicated that Police discovered the body on 28 April 2022. The Police have not discovered a firearm near the scene. The public is advised to provide information to the Investigating Officer. Additionally, the information is set to be received anonymously.
• KARIEGA – 02 MAY 2022 (17H00) Police have launched a search operation for suspects that shot and killed a Nelson Mandela Bay Councillor and Secretary today, 02 May 2022. The shooting occurred in Kwanobuhle at around midday. The victims are Councillor Andile Andries and Secretary Lubabalo Keso. The Councillor was leaving his residence with the Secretary when shots were fired at them from a minibus. The number of suspects remains unknown, and the circumstances surrounding the double shooting are still under investigation. Kwanobuhle Police Detectives are investigating the matter.
SOUTH AFRICA – FREE STATE – 02 MAY 2022
• BOTSHABELO – 02 MAY 2022 (08H30) Police Minister Bheki Cele has appealed to the Department of Home Affairs to review the identifications of more than 500 local shop owners in Botshabelo in the Free State. This comes after residents addressed Cele during a Ministerial Crime Prevention imbizo on 30 April 2022 and claimed that many foreign nationals who owned local shops in the area sold drugs. Cele held a meeting with the residents in Botshabelo during a follow-up to the Presidential Imbizo that took place on 09 April 2022. During the meeting, the residents raised concerns over the increase in crime in the area and stated that the Police had failed the community in the fight against crimes.
SOUTH AFRICA – GAUTENG – 02 MAY 2022
• TSHWANE/ PRETORIA – 02 MAY 2022 (06H20) The City of Tshwane has announced a planned water disruption on Tuesday, 03 May 2022, from 08H00 until 16H00, due to maintenance work. This is due to carrying out maintenance plans of the water supply network in Rietvalleirand, at the corner of Piering and Manie Roads. Meanwhile, another maintenance and upgrade of a water supply network have been planned for Celtisdal extension 80 along with Louisa and Aletta avenue on Wednesday, 04 May 2022. The affected areas in Celtisdal extensions will include 28, 11,13, 23,19, 44 and 48. Relevant updates regarding the situation will be issued to the public as the matter progresses.
• ELDORADO PARK – 02 MAY 2022 (12H10) The Member of the Mayoral Committee (MMC) for Environment, Infrastructure and Services, Michael Sun, has raised concerns over the organised crimes in Eldorado Park, Johannesburg South, involving theft and damage to electricity cables. Sun has stated that Eldorado Park and surrounding areas have been experiencing electricity outages and stated that challenges have occurred in restoring the power in the areas due to the vandalism and cable theft. Sun has stated that more than 20 Kilometres (km) of cables were stolen, and about 170 fuses were stolen in Eldorado Park since the fire incident at the Eldorado Park electricity substation on 15 April 2022.
• CARLETONVILLE – 02 MAY 2022 (14H20) Sibanye-Stillwater management is expected to meet with Government officials regarding the wage dispute with employees today, 02 May 2022. The Association of Mineworkers and Construction Union (AMCU) and the National Union of Mineworkers (NUM) demand an increase of over R1,000 for surface and underground miners and 6% for artisans, miners and officials. However, the company only offer an R850 increase. Negotiations between the company and unions have reached an impasse for seven weeks, with operations at a standstill. Employees from Sibanye-Stillwater’s gold operations disrupted a Workers’ Day rally at the Royal Bafokeng stadium in Rustenburg on Sunday, 01 May 2022.
• GERMISTON – 02 MAY 2022 (15H00) Ekurhuleni Emergency Services reported four casualties due to the fire at the Marathon informal settlement that damaged 16 residents overnight, 02 May 2022. The cause of the fire was a paraffin stove which was left unattended. Firefighters received assistance from neighbouring fire stations due to the extent of the fire. Several people have been displaced after the fire.
SOUTH AFRICA – KWAZULU-NATAL – 02 MAY 2022
• DOLPHIN COAST – 02 MAY 2022 (13H30) UPDATE Emergency services remain on the N2 Umhlali River bridge to assist injured passengers and continue with recovery. This follows after a heavy motor vehicle accident at 03H00 this morning, 02 May 2022. A bus collided with a temporary cement barrier near the Tinley Manor on the N2. (06H40) Road closure reported due to a heavy motor vehicle accident on the N2 Umhlali River bridge. Reports indicate that over 70 passengers have been injured and a fatality. Emergency services are on the scene and are assessing the situation. Motorists are advised to use an alternative route.
• DURBAN – 02 MAY 2022 (15H20) Road closure reported on the N2 at Ilfracombe. The roadway has been damaged due to the recent flooding in the area. Motorists are advised to re-route through Umkomaas and Umgababa.
• INANDA – 02 MAY 2022 (15H50) Residents of Inanda have raised concerns regarding the water supply challenges in the area that has spread to the surrounding area. There is currently a shortage of water tankers to supply the residents. Residents travel a long distance to have access to water. The water supply challenges are ongoing before the floods in April 2022. The residents are calling on the municipality to address the matter.
• DURBAN – 02 MAY 2022 (17H30) Umgeni Water has assured residents that the water supplied to Durban and surrounding areas is safe to drink. This comes after communities in the province raised concerns regarding the quality of water in some areas. The Provincial Government is focused on restoring the water and sanitation systems, following concerns that the current situation could give rise to water-borne diseases.
SOUTH AFRICA – LIMPOPO – 02 MAY 2022
• POLOKWANE/PIETERSBURG – 02 MAY 2022 (02H25) The Hawks’ asset forfeiture team, in cooperation with the National Prosecuting Authority, is expected to secure a preservation order. The announcement follows the Limpopo High Court order obtained on 22 April 2022. The order is set to preserve the assets from the narcotics investigation on a narcotics laboratory farm valued at approximately R4 million in June 2020. During the operation, the Police allegedly confiscated a firearm, a Mercedes-Benz truck, an Isuzu truck, Toyota Hilux and others, in addition to arresting two suspects. Additionally, the Police confiscated narcotics valued at approximately R10 million.
SOUTH AFRICA – MPUMALANGA – 02 MAY 2022
• WITBANK/ EMALAHLENI – 02 MAY 2022 (07H15) The eMalahleni Police has issued a warning to motorists following a recent increase in hijackings in and near eMalahleni. According to reports, a recent hijacking incident occurred in Old Coronation, eMalahleni, on 27 April 2022, where a victim sustained a gunshot wound and is currently recovering in hospital. On 22 April 2022, two Toyota Hilux GD6 vehicles were hijacked on the N12 close to the Delmas off-ramp. Police Spokesperson for Delmas SAPS, Captain Carla Hartley, has stated that the suspects allegedly stopped a vehicle travelling towards Johannesburg from eMalahleni on the N2 highway in a white vehicle with a blue emergency vehicle lighting on the roof and robbed the individual’s possessions. Police have further urged motorists to remain vigilant and avoid driving after midnight. Meanwhile, investigations are underway to apprehend the suspects.
• NELSPRUIT/ MBOMBELA – 02 MAY 2022 (14H00) The daughter of former Economic Freedom Fighters (EFF) Secretary-General and attorney Godrich Gardee has been reported missing since 29 April 2022. Hillary Gardee, with a three-year-old adopted child, have last gone shopping at a plaza in Mbombela. The child was found in KamaGugu hours after they went missing. An R100,000 reward for information has been offered. The Police have launched a search operation for Hillary Gardee.
• ELANDSHOEK – 02 MAY 2022 (14H30) UPDATE The N4/R539 Road at Montrose between Elands Valley and Schoemanskloof has been reopened to traffic. Motorists are advised to remain vigilant. (12H30) Road closure reported on the N4/R539 Road at Montrose between Elands Valley and Schoemanskloof. Reports indicate that the demonstrators have disrupted traffic flow. Motorists are advised to use the road through Kaapschehoop as an alternative route. Authorities are on the scene. (09H10) Protest reported on the N4/R539 between Elands Valley and Schoemanskloof. The demonstrators have barricaded the road with debris and burning tyres. Motorists are advised to use an alternative route. Police have been dispatched to the scene.
SOUTH AFRICA – NORTH WEST – 02 MAY 2022
• LOMANYANENG – 02 MAY 2022 (06H00) The Economic Freedom Fighters (EFF) is expected to host a Workers day rally today, 02 May 2022. The members are set to commence the rally at approximately 12H00 at the Mokgweetsi Sports Ground in the Lomanyaneng village. The rally is expected to be hosted by Secretary-General Marshal Dlamini, who will be addressing the North West #EFF May Day Rally.
• RUSTENBURG – 02 MAY 2022 (08H00) The Provincial Joint Operational and Intelligence Structure (PROVJOINTS) in North West are on high alert following the disruption of the May Day rally at the Royal Bafokeng Sports Palace on Sunday, 01 May 2022. This comes as President Cyril Ramaphosa was expected to address the Congress of South African Trade Unions (COSATU’s) Workers Day celebrations, along with the labour federation’s President Zingiswa Losi and the South African Communist Party (SACP) General-Secretary Blade Nzimande. However, the mine workers held a protest which led to the suspension of the celebration. The Chairperson of the PROVJOINTS, Lieutenant General Sello Kwena, expressed disappointment over the conduct of the protesting workers and has cautioned that action would be taken against individuals who do not abide by the law.
SOUTH AFRICA – NORTHERN CAPE – 02 MAY 2022
• KIMBERLEY – 02 MAY 2022 (02H45) The Police have launched an intelligence-driven search operation in the Northern Cape area. The Police received information regarding a Toyota Fortuner transporting the alleged stolen cellphone tower batteries of Gqeberha. Following the information, the Police confiscated the batteries valued at approximately R480,000. Reports indicated that a suspect had been arrested in addition to another escaping after the Police pulled over the Toyota Fortuner on the N12. The arrested suspect is expected to appear in court on Tuesday, 03 May 2022. The public is advised to provide additional information regarding the location of the escaped suspect.
• PORT NOLLOTH – 02 MAY 2022 (05H00) The South African Weather Service (SAWS) has issued a level ten warning level for possible wildfire conditions in the Northern Cape for 02 May 2022. The affected areas are set to include Kamiesbur, Gariesm Richtersveld, Alexanderbaai, Nama Khoi and Springbok. Fireteams and equipment are expected to be on stand-by. The public is advised to contact relevant authorities should a fire be detected.
SOUTH AFRICA – WESTERN CAPE – 02 MAY 2022
• CAPE TOWN – 02 MAY 2022 (02H55) Service disruption reported by the Cape Town Municipality. The affected areas are set to include the Blaauwbergstrand. The Department is expected to deploy workers to resolve the disruption. The public is advised to close all taps as the water is expected to be restored at any time.
• CAPE TOWN – 02 MAY 2022 (16H40) The Cape Coloured Congress (CCC) has threatened to shutdown the Metropolitan and Department of Economic Development and Tourism due to its alleged inability to address gangsterism. The party is demanding that the provincial government take immediate action against all known narcotic houses, gang hotspots and known gang leaders in Cape Town.
UPCOMING EVENTS – 02 MAY 2022
• EAST LONDON: The African National Congress (ANC) is expected to hold its Provincial Conference from Friday, 06 May 2022, until Sunday, 08 May 2022, at the International Convention Centre.
Website: www.willshir.com – 2022 ©️ Willshir & Associates
Willshir & Associates – Business Intelligence Program (JK)