- This event has passed.
WILLSHIR – SOUTH AFRICA – TIMELINE – 03 JUN 2022 (10H00)
SOUTH AFRICA – EASTERN CAPE – 03 JUN 2022
• HANKEY – 02 JUN 2022 (19H30) The public is advised to be vigilant on the R330 between Hankey and Patemsie as the situation remains volatile. This follows after clashes between Entabeni informal settlement residents and Sotho nationals in the area on Wednesday, 01 June and Thursday morning, 02 June 2022. The settlement is dominated by Lesotho and Zimbabwean citizens and Xhosa people who originate from Mthatha and surrounding areas. The citizens had moved to Entabeni for job opportunities. The Police had escorted the Sotho nationals to the police station for safety. Residents accuse the Sotho nationals of killing a local resident this passing weekend. In addition to taking their jobs, land and electricity. Informal houses have been set alight and police vehicles thrown with stones by demonstrators.
• EAST LONDON – 02 JUN 2022 (20H00) The South African Municipal Workers’ Union (SAMWU) in the Eastern Cape is expected to hold a press conference with alliance partners on Monday, 06 June 2022. The conference will focus on issues affecting workers and service delivery, particularly at the Amathole District Municipality.
• PORT ELIZABETH/GQEBERHA – 03 JUN 2022 (05H55) Protest reported on Rocklands Road. The demonstrators are protesting due to poor service delivery. The demonstrators have barricaded the road with burning tyres and debris. Motorists are advised to avoid the area and use alternative routes. Police have been dispatched.
• HANKEY – 03 JUN 2022 (07H40) Protest reported on the R330 between Hankey and Patensie. The demonstrators are protesting against Soto nationals in the area. The demonstrators have barricaded the road with burning tyres and debris. Motorists are advised to avoid the area and use alternative routes. Police have been dispatched.
SOUTH AFRICA – FREE STATE – 03 JUN 2022
• VIRGINIA – 03 JUN 2022 (00H25) Renergen Chief Executive Officer (CEO) Stefano Marani announced the company’s expected plans for the construction of their Virginia gas project. Marani stated that the project aims to produce all of South Africa’s helium requirements and export the balance of production. Marani further stated that phase 1 of the project is to supply local helium needs while phase 2 is expected to supply between 5% and 10% of the global demand for helium. Marani noted that phase 2 is expected to commence in 2025.
SOUTH AFRICA – GAUTENG – 03 JUN 2022
• JOHANNESBURG – 02 JUN 2022 (22H25) Rand Water announced that the north-western areas of Johannesburg and Randjiesfontein are expected to have a water shortage of at least 40 hours between 03 June 2022 and 04 June 2022. Rand Water stated that the shortage of water is due to the tying-in of a 5,2 kilometre (km) x 1,700 millimetre (mm) section of the newly constructed H39 pipeline, which has been constructed to augment a portion of the H12 pipeline.
• PRETORIA/TSHWANE – 03 JUN 2022 (00H55) Minister of Mineral Resources and Energy, Gwede Mantashe, announced the signing of the first three Power Purchase Agreements (PPA’s) under the Risk Mitigation Independent Power Producer Procurement Programme (RMI4P) in Centurion. Mantashe stated that the Norwegian Renewable Energy Company Scatec entered a 20-year agreement with Eskom to dispatch 150 megawatts (MW)of electricity to the national power grid between 05H00 and 21H30 daily. Mantashe further stated that the projects are expected to cost R1,884.61 per MW/hour compared to the R23,000 per MW/hour that Eskom is currently paying. Mantashe noted that 4,968 work opportunities are expected to be created during the construction and operation of the projects.
• VEREENIGING – 03 JUN 2022 (06H00) Johannesburg Water announced a scheduled 24-hour water shutdown today, 03 June 2022. The time will be used to install a new non-return valve on the pumpset at the Vereeniging Water Treatment Plant and to tie in the newly installed pipeline with the existing pipeline. Areas that will be affected include Fairland, Northcliff, Blackheath, Berario, Kelland, Weltevreden Park, Rampart Ridge, Randparkrif and parts of Randburg.
• RANDBURG – 03 JUN 2022 (06H05) The Commander in Chief (CIC) of the Economic Freedom Fighter (EFF), Julius Malema, is expected to appear at the Randburg Magistrate Court today, 03 June 2022, from 09H00. Malema is expected to appear at the court for the hearing on the matter of the Policeman, who in 2018 allegedly denied Malema entry into the final resting place of Winnie Madikizela-Mandela.
• KEMPTON PARK – 03 JUN 2022 (06H10) Protest expected at the Comair office on Fortress Road in Rhodesfield today, 03 June 2022, from 09H00 by the National Union of Metalworkers of South Africa (NUMSA). Demonstrators are expected to demand the resignation of the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) Glenn Orsmond and the removal of the Business Rescue Practitioner (BRP) Richard Ferguson from Redford Calital. This follows the suspension of British Airways and Kulula national flights. Motorists are advised to be vigilant during the protest. Police will be dispatched to the area.
• TSHWANE/PRETORIA – 03 JUN 2022 (06H15) Protest expected by members affiliated with the Congress of the South African Trade Union (COSATU), South African Communist Party (SACP), African National Congress (ANC) and Africa for Palestine are expected to protest today, 03 June 2022, at the Israel Embassy from 10H00. The demonstrators are expected to protest in solidarity with the Palestinians. Motorists are advised to avoid the area and use alternative routes. Police will be deployed to monitor the area.
• SPRINGS – 03 JUN 2022 (07H20) Protest reported on Nagtegaal Road and Clydesdale Rd. The demonstrators have barricaded the road with burning tyres and debris. Police have fired stun grenades in an attempt to disperse the demonstrators. The demonstrators are protesting due to poor service delivery. Motorists are advised to avoid the area and use alternative routes. Police are on the scene.
• TSHWANE/PRETORIA – 03 JUN 2022 (09H20) The National Union of Mineworkers (NUM) and the Association of Mineworkers and Construction Union (AMCU) are expected to hold a meeting with mineworkers at the Union Buildings today, 03 June 2022, from 09H00. The unions are expected to discuss developments in the Sibanye Stillwater strike. Mineworkers have been protesting for salary increases.
• MIDRAND – 03 JUN 2022 (09H50) Protest expected by members affiliated with the National Union of Metalworkers of South Africa (NUMSA) in the Hlanganani region today, 03 June 2022, at Xtremetec. NUMSA is expected to protest due to the Tshwane Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) Agency that changed the conditions of employment by implementing a shift pattern without consulting the union or employees. Motorists are advised to avoid the area and use alternative routes. Police will be deployed to monitor the area.
SOUTH AFRICA – KWAZULU-NATAL – 03 JUN 2022
• MBAZWANA – 02 JUN 2022 (20H30) Parents in the Mbazwana area have raised concerns regarding the safety of children. This follows after three children died in two separate incidents in the area. Community members held a protest following a meeting to restore calm after the murder of a 13-year-old child. The residence and vehicle of a local pastor, whom the community accused of being involved in the murder of the child, were set alight. The incidents took place during Child Protection Week.
• PIETERMARITZBURG – 03 JUN 2022 (02H35) The Minister of Health, Joe Phaahla, announced that today 03 May 2022, he is expected to launch the Global Vax campaign with KwaZulu-Natal’s Member of Executive Council (MEC) Nomagugu Simelane at Caluza Sports Centre in Pietermaritzburg. Phaahla stated that the Global Vax campaign is a commitment to vaccinating 70% of eligible South Africans.
• MABHOKWENI – 03 JUN 2022 (06H50) Protest reported on the R66 between Eshowe and KwaGingindlovu. The demonstrators are protesting due to poor service delivery. The demonstrators have barricaded the road with burning tyres and debris. Motorists are advised to avoid the area and use alternative routes. Police have been dispatched.
SOUTH AFRICA – LIMPOPO – 03 JUN 2022
• POLOKWANE/ PIETERSBURG – 02 JUN 2022 (20H25) The Capricorn Technical and Vocational Education and Training (TVET) college has approached the Polokwane High Court for an interdict to prevent students from protesting and disrupting lectures. The students have been protesting due to the lack of computer labs and Wi-Fi on campus. Capricorn TVET Spokesperson Madire Mashabela stated that the college had sought an interdict to protect the resources of the institution. The student representatives stated that they will seek a legal opinion on the court interdict. The Economic Freedom Fighters Student Command (EFFSC) and the South African Students Congress (SASCO) have criticised management for obtaining an interdict against student formations.
• PIETERSBURG/POLOKWANE – 03 JUN 2022 (09H30) The African National Congress (ANC) in Limpopo is expected to hold its 10th ANC Provincial Conference today 03 June 2022, until Sunday, 05 June 2022, at the Polokwane Ranch Resort.
SOUTH AFRICA – MPUMALANGA – 03 JUN 2022
• NELSPRUIT/ MBOMBELA – 02 JUN 2022 (21H00) The Nelspruit Magistrate’s Court has postponed the bail application of Sipho Mkhatshwa, who is accused number one in the murder of Hillary Gardee, to Friday, 03 June 2022. Mkhatshwa is one of three people charged with murder. Protests are expected outside the court during the bail application by members of the Economic Freedom Fighters (EFF) and the African National Congress (ANC).
SOUTH AFRICA – NORTH WEST – 03 JUN 2022
• RUSTENBURG – 01 JUN 2022 (09H00) Premier Bushy Maape is expected to attend the Business Leaders Awards today, 03 June 2022, from 18H00 at the Sun City Superbowl in Moses Kotane Municipality. The objective of the awards is to recognise and honour business leaders who advocate for positive change and are committed to social and economic transformation on the continent. Maape’s attendance of attendance forms part of the ongoing efforts by the Provincial Government to foster relations with leaders in business and other social partners. This aims to reposition the province as a preferred destination for business and investments.
SOUTH AFRICA – NORTHERN CAPE – 03 JUN 2022
• KENHARDT – 03 JUN 2022 (09H00) Scatec ASA, a leading renewable energy solutions provider, has signed the power purchase agreements for the three Kenhardt projects in the Northern Cape under the Risk Mitigation Independent Power Producer Procurement Programme (RMIPPPP) with the South African Government. The project will provide 150 MegaWatts (MW) of dispatchable renewable energy based on a hybrid installation of 540 MW of solar photovoltaic (PV) capacity and 1.1 Gigawatt Hours (GWh) of battery storage. According to the agreements signed, financial close is to be achieved within 60 days from the signature date, and once financial close has been reached, Scatec will begin construction of the projects. Scatec will own 51% of the equity in the project, with H1 Holdings, the local Black Economic Empowerment (BEE) partner owning 49%. Scatec will also be the Engineering, Procurement and Construction provider and provide Operation and Maintenance, as well as Asset Management services to the power plants.
SOUTH AFRICA – WESTERN CAPE – 03 JUN 2022
• CAPE TOWN – 03 JUN 2022 (09H05) Peaceful protest reported on Klipfontein Road/M18 by the Democratic Alliance (DA) members. The demonstrators are protesting due to fuel increases. Motorists are advised to be vigilant. Police are on the scene.
UPCOMING EVENTS – 03 JUN 2022
• ALBERTON: Operation Dudula is expected to launch a branch in Katlehong at the Botsotso Ground on Saturday, 04 June 2022, from 10H00
• CAPE TOWN: Protest expected at Manenberg Police Station on Saturday, 04 June 2022, at 10H00.
• EAST LONDON: The South African Municipal Workers’ Union (SAMWU) in the Eastern Cape is expected to hold a press conference with alliance partners on Monday, 06 June 2022.
• TSHWANE/ PRETORIA: Nationwide shutdown expected on Friday, 10 June 2022. Community leaders are expected to protest against the increase in fuel prices that have a negative effect on living costs.
• THOHOYANDOU: The Economic Freedom Fighter (EFF), Commander in Chief (CIC), Julius Malema, is expected to deliver a keynote address at the Youth Day commemoration on Thursday, 16 June 2022, from 11H00 at the Makwarela Stadium
• KATHU: Protest expected by the Economic Freedom Fighters (EFF) members on Wednesday, 22 June 2022, at the Kumba Iron Ore Mine from 11H00.
• JOHANNESBURG: The Congress of South African Trade Unions (COSATU) is expected to convene a Health Committee meeting on 23 June 2022.
• SOWETO: The Economic Freedom Fighters (EFF) is expected to hold an EFF Freedom Charter Day Rally on Sunday, 26 June 2022, at the Walter Sisulu Square from 11H00.
Website: www.willshir.com – 2022 ©️ Willshir & Associates
Willshir & Associates – Business Intelligence Program (LN)