- This event has passed.
WILLSHIR – SOUTH AFRICA – TIMELINE – 03 MAR 2022 (10H00)
SOUTH AFRICA – EASTERN CAPE – 03 MAR 2022
- PORT ELIZABETH/GQEBERHA – 03 MAR 2022 (07H45) The African National Congress (ANC) has disbanded the Provincial Executive Committee (PEC) following its term that expired in October 2021. The ANC Provincial Secretary, Lulama Ngcukayitobi, stated that the PEC is expected to take over as the Provincial Task Team with the ANC Chairperson, Oscar Mabuyane, as the convener and Ngcukayitobi as the PTT co-ordinator. The province’s elective conference is scheduled to be held at the end of March 2022.
SOUTH AFRICA – FREE STATE – 03 MAR 2022
- GARIEPDAM, – 03 MAR 2022 (08H40) The Member of the Executive Council (MEC) for Finance, Gadija Brown, is expected to table out the Provincial Budget Speech for 2022/23 on Thursday, 10 March 2022, from 14H00 at the Gariep Dam.
SOUTH AFRICA – GAUTENG – 03 MAR 2022
- TSHWANE/ PRETORIA – 02 MAR 2022 (19H30) Parents at Sediba sa Thuto Primary School in Mamelodi has raised concerns regarding overcrowded classrooms. The parents are calling on the Department of Education to address the matter. Parents are demanding mobile classrooms to be delivered in five days. Provincial Spokesperson Steve Mabena stated that the Department is aware of the situation.
- TSHWANE/ PRETORIA – 02 MAR 2022 (21H30) Protest reported at the intersection of Lion Street and Wierda Road in the vicinity of Centurion, Tshwane. Residents from the Raslouw area in Centurion are protesting against service delivery related issues linked to ongoing power interruptions. Demonstrators are blockading the roadway to traffic. Authorities are on the scene. Motorists are advised to use alternative routes.
- TSHWANE/PRETORIA – 03 MAR 2022 (06H15) Protest expected by the members affiliated with the Congress of the South African Trade Union (COSATU) today, 03 March 2022, at the Israel Embassy from 10H00. The demonstrators are expected to march to the embassy in solidarity with the Palestinians. Motorists are advised to avoid the area and use alternative routes. Police will be deployed to monitor the area.
- SOWETO – 03 MAR 2022 (07H30) UPDATE Road closure reported on Koma Street/M72 due to ongoing protest. (06H50) Protest reported on Koma Street/M72. Residents of Senaoane are protesting due to service delivery related to power outages. The demonstrators have barricaded the road with burning tyres and debris. Motorists are advised to avoid the area and use alternative routes. Police have been dispatched.
- TSHWANE/PRETORIA – 03 MAR 2022 (09H25) The City of Tshwane Executive Mayor, Randall Williams, is expected to launch the Wapadrand Substation refurbishment project today, 03 March 2022, from 09H30 until 12H00 at the Wapadrand Substation.
SOUTH AFRICA – KWAZULU-NATAL – 03 MAR 2022
- NONGOMA – 02 MAR 2022 (21H40) The KwaZulu-Natal Government has announced plans to host a prayer service at the KwaKhangelamankengane Royal Palace in Nongoma to commemorate the one-year anniversary of the death of King Goodwill Zwelithini. The prayer service is scheduled to be held on Saturday, 12 March 2022.
- ESTCOURT – 02 MAR 2022 (22H30) Protest reported on the R103 between Estcourt and Mooi River in the vicinity of the Emabhalonini informal settlement. Community members have barricaded the R103 with burning tyres and are reportedly vandalising vehicles on the roadway. Motorists are advised to avoid the area and use alternative routes.
- KWAMASHU – 02 MAR 2022 (22H50) Protest reported on Nyala Road in the vicinity of Ezikhalini, KwaMashu, north of Durban. Community members are barricading the roadway with burning tyres in protest of ongoing electricity outages in the area. Motorists are advised to use alternative routes. Authorities are on the scene.
- DURBAN – 02 MAR 2022 (23H40) Fire reported at the Africa Paints manufacturing factory on Seeboo Road in Isipingo, Durban. Reports have indicated that the factory is currently on fire due to undisclosed reasons. Isipingo emergency response services have been dispatched to the site. Members of the public are advised to avoid the area.
SOUTH AFRICA – LIMPOPO – 03 MAR 2022
- POLOKWANE/PIETERSBURG – 03 MAR 2022 (06H00) Deputy President David Mabuza is expected to respond to issues raised by traditional leaders today, 03 March 2022, at Bolivia Lodge from 13H30. President Cyril Ramaphosa established the Task Team to ensure that the Government is responsive to traditional leaders’ concerns. The Deputy President will be accompanied by Chupu Mathabatha, Premier of the Limpopo Province and relevant members of the Provincial Executive Council.
SOUTH AFRICA – MPUMALANGA – 03 MAR 2022
- MBOMBELA/ NELSPRUIT – 02 MAR 2022 (23H00) The African National Congress (ANC) has announced a decision to officially dissolve its leadership structures in the Mpumalanga province with immediate effect. Treasurer-General Paul Mashatile, currently also acting as the Secretary-General in the absence of Ace Magashule and Jessie Duarte, has notified ANC leadership structures in the province that the Provincial Task Team (PTT) is expected to take over the party’s affairs and prepare for a conference to elect new leaders. Mashatile has stated that the current Provincial Executive Committee (PEC) of the ANC Mpumalanga province had been elected at a provincial conference in December 2015. Accordingly, the PEC’s term of office has expired, and the party must subsequently replace the leadership structure.
- ARTHUR’S SEAT – 03 MAR 2022 (08H00) Protest reported on the R40 in Arthur’s Seat towards BestDrive. The demonstrators have barricaded the road with burning tyres and debris. Motorists are advised to avoid the area and use alternative routes. Police have been dispatched.
SOUTH AFRICA – NORTH WEST – 03 MAR 2022
- MAHIKENG – 02 MAR 2022 (20H00) Public Protector Advocate Busisiwe Mkhwebane stated that the North West Province has a caseload of 111 unresolved cases, including those of fraud, corruption, nepotism, and maladministration. Speaking during a roadshow in the province, Mkhwebane raised concerns around the province’s shortcomings in responding to complaints, providing documentation requested for purposes of investigation, as well as increases in complaints relating to the irregular appointment of staff and nepotism, particularly at municipalities. The community of Nyetse Village in Lehurutshe took the opportunity to voice their concerns regarding a five-month water outage.
- STILFONTEIN – 02 MAR 2022 (22H10) The Stilfontein Regional Court has postponed the case against 87 suspects facing charges related to illegal mining at Shaft 2 in Orkney to 06 April 2022 for further investigations. The Defence Attorney has requested the postponement to negotiate with the Stat on undisclosed aspects of the case. The suspects have been charged with six counts of murder, robbery with aggravating circumstances, conspiracy to commit robbery, illegal mining, possession of automatic firearms, attempted murder and contravening the immigration act. Police investigations have indicated that eight of the accused had been wounded, and six died during a shootout with the Special Task Force members, assisted by Hawks Organised Crime in the North West, during an intelligence-driven operation on Wednesday, 20 October 2021. The suspects are set to remain in Police custody pending their court appearances.
SOUTH AFRICA – NORTHERN CAPE – 03 MAR 2022
- KIMBERLEY – 02 MAR 2022 (23H10) The South African Weather Service (SAWS) has issued a yellow level 2 adverse weather warning for severe thunderstorms over the eastern parts of the Northern Cape as well as several other areas across the country with effect from Thursday, 03 March 2022. The weather warning is also in effect for the western parts of the North West and Free State provinces, eastern parts of the Eastern Cape, and the southern parts of KwaZulu-Natal. The weather service has stated that persistent rainfall, localised flooding of susceptible roads, low-lying areas and bridges, and localised damage to infrastructure are expected. Residents are advised to remain vigilant and avoid travelling in affected areas.
- KIMBERLEY – 03 MAR 2022 (06H25) Protest expected by the Sol Plaatje Community Forum members on Thursday, 03 March 2022 from 16H30 at the Galeshewe Police Station. The members are expected to gather at Nobengula Street and march to the Police Station. The demonstrators are expected to protest against the high crime rate related to drugs and demand the Premier request Parliament to amend the Constitution to allow for stricter laws and law enforcement. The demonstrators are also expected to hand over a memorandum of demands. Motorists are advised to avoid the area and use alternative routes. Police will be deployed to monitor the area.
SOUTH AFRICA – WESTERN CAPE – 03 MAR 2022
- CAPE TOWN – 02 MAR 2022 (20H00) Police have arrested 14 employees during the Groote Schuur Hospital protest on Tuesday, 02 March 2022. Some of the arrested employees are ward assistants. The employees have been protesting due to alleged unfair dismissal by the new hospital contractors.
- CAPE TOWN – 02 MAR 2022 (21H50) Stone-throwing reported on the R300 approaching the Watergate Centre after the N2 offramp in Mitchells Plain, Cape Town. Unidentified suspects are attempting to compel motorists to stop with the intention to rob them. Motorists are advised to remain vigilant when travelling through the area.
- CAPE TOWN – 02 MAR 2022 (22H20) UPDATE Demonstrators have barricaded Baden Powell Drive between the Monwabisi Resort and the N2 with burning tyres and debris. The road has been closed to traffic. Authorities are on the scene. Motorists are advised to use alternative routes. (18H30) Protest reported on Baden Powell Drive near the M44/ Mew Way in Khayelitsha. Demonstrators are barricading the road. Motorists are advised to avoid the area. Police are on the scene.
- CAPE TOWN – 03 MAR 2022 (09H00) UPDATE Police have announced that the Baden Powell Drive/ R310 has been reopened for traffic flow. Demonstrations reported on Mew Way Road and Pama Road. Motorists are advised to avoid the area. (07H15) Road closure reported on Baden Powell Drive/R310 due to ongoing protest. (05H50) Protest reported on Swartklip Road/M49 towards Mew Way Road. The demonstrators have barricaded the road with burning tyres and debris. Motorists are advised to avoid the area and use alternative routes. Police are on the scene.
UPCOMING EVENTS – 03 MAR 2022
- JOHANNESBURG: South African Airways (SAA) announced that it will resume flights to Durban with three daily return flights from 04 March 2022.
- MANKWENG: Protest expected at the University of Limpopo, Turfloop Campus on 04 March 2022 at 10H00.
- SOWETO: Peaceful protest expected at the Orlando Stadium from 11H00 on 05 March 2022.
- MIDDELBURG: The new resident’s forum, known as Dis Nou Genoeg, is expected to apply for an interdict at the Middelburg High Court on Tuesday, 08 March 2022, against the Steve Tshwete Local Municipality, resigned Municipal Manager Bheki Khenisa and striking employees.
- CAPE TOWN: Protest expected on Saturday, 19 March 20202 at the Paarden Kraal Pub from 11H00.
- PORT ELIZABETH/GQEBERHA: Protest expected on Saturday, 19 March 2022 at Nelson Mandela Bay Stadium from 10H00.
- JOHANNESBURG: Peaceful protest expected by members of Kopanang Africa Against Xenophobia movement on Monday, 21 March 2022, at the office of the Premier.
Website: www.willshir.com – 2022 ©️ Willshir & Associates
Willshir & Associates – Business Intelligence Program (LN)