- This event has passed.
WILLSHIR – SOUTH AFRICA – TIMELINE – 04 APR 2022 (19H00)
SOUTH AFRICA – EASTERN CAPE – 04 APR 2022
- MTHATHA – 04 APR 2022 (09H35) Residents of Maiden Farm in Mthatha have accused the King Sabatha Dalindyebo Municipality of unfair billing of municipal rates. This follows after unemployed residents’ and grant beneficiaries’ electricity was disconnected for owing the municipality. King Sabatha Dalindyebo Municipality Spokesperson Sonwabo Mampoza stated that the municipality will provide indigent relief and write off outstanding debts for qualifying residents.
- PORT ELIZABETH/ GQEBERHA – 04 APR 2022 (15H00) Road closure reported on Seaview Road near Grass Roof. The road is closed due to a motor vehicle accident. Motorists are advised to use alternative routes. Recovery is in progress.
SOUTH AFRICA – FREE STATE – 04 APR 2022
- BLOEMFONTEIN – 04 APR 2022 (07H25) President Cyril Ramaphosa is expected to undertake the second District Development Model (DDM) Presidential Imbizo in the Mangaung Metro Municipality from Friday, 08 April 2022, until Sunday, 10 April 2022. The President will be accompanied by Premier Sisi Ntombela, various Cabinet Ministers, including the DDM champions, Members of the Executive Council (MECs), Mayors and Councillors. The visit to the province exemplifies the President’s message in the 2022 State of Nations Address (SONA) of a government that must work for the people.
- CLOCOLAN – 04 APR 2022 (12H40) Protest reported outside the Clocolan Magistrate Court. Members of the Economic Freedom Fighters (EFF) are protesting to demand justice for Sebabatso Sethabane, who has allegedly been murdered by Moeketsi Letanta. The demonstrators have blockaded the entrance of the building. Members of the public are advised to avoid the area and use alternative routes. Police have been dispatched.
- BLOEMFONTEIN – 04 APR 2022 (13H00) The Minister of Cooperative Governance and Traditional Affairs (COGTA), Nkosazana Dlamini Zuma, is expected to lead a programme of strategic engagements ahead of the Presidential Imbizo from today, 04 April 2022, until Thursday, 07 April 2022. These engagements by the Minister constitute an integral part of building up to the second Presidential Imbizo in the province. The inputs from these build up engagements will be consolidated and responded to as part of the issues raised at Presidential Imbizo. The Presidential Imbizo provides an opportunity to address the province’s challenges and unlock any service delivery matters by the District Development Model (DDM), which is a government and society approach founded on the fundamental principles of cooperative and participatory governance.
- BLOEMFONTEIN – 04 APR 2022 (16H00) The Member of Executive Council (MEC) for Finance announced that the restructuring of the Free State Provincial Government has begun. MEC Gadija Brown stated that they are planning to reshuffle the top management of most Departments. However, 70% of the Heads of Departments at the Free State Provincial Government are still acting. The Chief Financial Officers (CFO) of all the Provincial Departments have been restructured.
- BLOEMFONTEIN – 04 APR 2022 (16H50) Protest reported at the University of the Free State (UFS) in Bloemfontein. Students are protesting over allowances and accommodation challenges. The students are allegedly waiting for the National Student Financial Aid Scheme (NSFAS) and the Treasury to release funds. Police are on the scene and have shot two students with stun grenades. Motorists are advised to avoid the university.
SOUTH AFRICA – GAUTENG – 04 APR 2022
- PRETORIA/TSHWANE – 04 APR 2022 (01H40) The South African Police Service (SAPS) has announced the expected migration of civilians in Gauteng and the Western Cape. This follows the annual performance plan where SAPS noted the increased movement of civilians from rural to urban areas. The movement is set to relocate civilians to areas connected to major transport routes for reliable basic services, education, healthcare and policing. The move is expected to influence the locations of police stations to ensure their accessibility to the communities. For the period 2016 to 2021, Gauteng and Western Cape are estimated to have experienced an increased inflow of approximately 1,56 million and 470,000 migrants, respectively.
- CENTURION – 04 APR 2022 (06H00) Road closure expected on Kruger Avenue in Lyttelton Manor today, 04 April 2022, until further notice. The road will be closed for maintenance. This follows after the City of Tshwane detected 41 sinkholes around the metropolitan. Motorists are advised to use alternative routes.
- JOHANNESBURG – 04 APR 2022 (11H20) UPDATE Demonstrations reported outside the Department of Education. The demonstrators are expected to hand over their memorandum of demands to the Member of the Executive Council (MEC), Panyaza Lesufi. (10H50) Heightened Police visibility reported outside the Department of Education. The demonstrators have started gathering. (10H00) Protest expected by the Economic Freedom Fighters (EFF) members at the Department of Education today, 04 April 2022, from 10H00. The EFF members are expected to protest in solidarity with the Gauteng Small Bus Operators (GASBOC), small businesses and against the Department of Education. Motorists are advised to avoid the area and use alternative routes. Police will be deployed to monitor the area.
- JOHANNESBURG – 04 APR 2022 (14H30) City Power announced a delay in repairs at the Central and Selby substations due to adverse weather. Parts of the Johannesburg Central Business District (CBD) remain without power since the underground tunnel fire. The affected areas include Village Main, Wemmer South feeding on Selby Substation, Westgate, and some streets within the CBD, Ntemi Piliso, Anderson, Commissioner, Marshal, Main Street feeding on Central substation. The power will be restored gradually between the areas fed from Selby and Central substations to avoid overloading the circuit.
- JOHANNESBURG – 04 APR 2022 (15H30) The Congress of South African Trade Unions (COSATU) has rejected the proposed wage increase for Members of Cabinet, Members of Parliament, and the Judiciary. The Independent Commission for the Remuneration of Public Office Bearers has proposed a 3% increase in salary and benefits for 2022. COSATU Spokesperson Matthew Parks stated that President Cyril Ramaphosa should reject this proposed increase and impose a wage freeze.
- JOHANNESBURG – 04 APR 2022 (17H00) The South African Communist Party (SACP) has called on the Government to invest in the country’s manufacturing capacity as a primary tool to create work opportunities. SACP stated that it supports President Cyril Ramaphosa’s decision to extend the Social Relief of Distress grant until the end of March 2023. However, South Africa has an estimated population of 15-million people with little or no income. Currently, around 27, 8-million people benefit from government social grants, with at least 10 million receiving the Social Relief of Distress grant.
- JOHANNESBURG – 04 APR 2022 (17H20) The Economic Freedom Fighters (EFF) is conducting an unannounced oversight visit at Rahima Moosa Hospital in Coronationville. This follows after information that pregnant women have been seen sleeping on the floor. In addition, the Member of Executive Health Nomathemba Mokgethi has also met with management at the hospital. The Health Department stated that the hospital served high numbers of pregnant women, and even after repurposing 16 beds to bring the total number of antenatal beds to 56, it was not enough.
- BOKSBURG – 04 APR 2022 (17H50) Road closure reported on Main Reef Road/ R29 at Wit Deep. Ekurhuleni Metro Police Department has closed the road due to people throwing stones at passing vehicles. Motorists are advised to use alternative routes.
- TSHWANE/ PRETORIA – 04 APR 2022 (18H20) President Cyril Ramaphosa is expected to address the nation at 20H00 today, 04 April 2022. President Ramaphosa will discuss the developments in South Africa’s response to the COVID-19 pandemic.
SOUTH AFRICA – KWAZULU-NATAL – 04 APR 2022
- DURBAN – 04 APR 2022 (06H40) The African National Congress (ANC) in the eThekwini region is expected to hold its 8th eThekwini Regional Conference from Friday, 08 April 2022, until Sunday, 10 April 2022.
- NSUZE – 04 APR 2022 (09H50) Armed robbery reported at a supermarket in Nsuze. Police received intelligence about a group of armed suspects who had been planning to rob the supermarket. The Police with the National Intervention Unit launched an operation. A group of armed suspects have been spotted after they arrived in two vehicles. The suspects entered the shopping centre, and a shoot-out ensued. During the shoot-out, one of the suspects was fatally shot, and another suspect was wounded. Police further arrested a suspect who was found in possession of a revolver with ammunition. The deceased suspect was found in possession of a pistol with ammunition. Charges of attempted robbery, attempted murder, inquest, and unlawful possession of firearms and ammunition have been opened for investigation.
- DURBAN – 04 APR 2022 (11H30) UPDATE Road closure reported on Wareing Road, Lombard Street and Butts Road due to protest. The demonstrators have barricaded the road with burning tyres and debris. (11H00) Protest reported on Hagart Road outside Jasco Electrical Manufacturers. Members affiliated with the National Union of Metalworkers of South Africa (NUMSA) are protesting to demand a 6% salary increase. The demonstrators blockaded the area. Motorists are advised to avoid the area and use alternative routes. Police have been dispatched.
- DOLPHIN COAST – 04 APR 2022 (14H10) Protest reported on the R102 in Shakaskraal. Demonstrators are barricading the road with burning tyres and debris. Motorists are advised to use alternative routes.
SOUTH AFRICA – LIMPOPO – 04 APR 2022
- PIETERSBURG/POLOKWANE – 04 APR 2022 (06H20) Road closure reported on the N1 in the vicinity of the ZZ2 farm due to a motor vehicle accident. Motorists are advised to avoid the area and use alternative routes. Emergency services are on the scene.
- POLOKWANE/ PIETERSBURG – 04 APR 2022 (18H10) Armed robbery reported at a luxury vehicle dealership in Polokwane today, 04 April 2022. An armed suspect allegedly entered the dealership and called for those inside to lie on the floor. A victim who refused was fatally shot. The suspect demanded a key to a new vehicle and fled the scene. Police caught and arrested the suspect near the Peter Mokaba Stadium. Police are investigating the matter.
SOUTH AFRICA – MPUMALANGA – 04 APR 2022
- NELSPRUIT/MBOMBELA – 04 APR 2022 (01H00) Mandla Ndlovu has been elected as Mpumulanga’s Chairperson of the African National Congress (ANC). This follows after Ndlovu received 440 votes following the ANC’s voting bloc. Elections were held between Ndlovu and Lucky Ndinisa, where Ndlovu received 440 votes in addition to Ndinisa’s 278. Furthermore, Peedy Mashilo received 505 votes to become Deputy Chairperson. Muzi Chirwa has been elected Provincial Secretary with 487 votes. In addition, Mandla Msibi was voted in as Treasurer. Mpumulanga is allegedly the largest voting bloc at the national conference.
SOUTH AFRICA – NORTH WEST – 04 APR 2022
- STILFONTEIN – 04 APR 2022 (07H05) Flooding reported on the N12 between Stilfontein and Potchefstroom due to heavy rain. Motorists are advised to be vigilant. Emergency services have been dispatched.
SOUTH AFRICA – NORTHERN CAPE – 04 APR 2022
- KIMBERLEY – 04 APR 2022 (11H15) UPDATE Demonstrations reported outside the Magistrate Court. Members of the public are advised to be vigilant. (09H10) Protest expected at the Galeshewe Magistrate’s Court today, 04 April 2022. Community members are expected to protest to demand justice for Relebogile Sami who was killed. Motorists are advised to be vigilant and use alternative routes. Police will be deployed to monitor the area.
SOUTH AFRICA – WESTERN CAPE – 04 APR 2022
- CAPE TOWN – 04 APR 2022 (08H55) The Department of Road Infrastructure Management is expected to commence with the rehabilitation of stormwater pipelines in Crescent Road and Beryl Road in Ottery and Muller Road in Wetton. The work is expected to commence today, 04 April 2022 and is expected to be completed by Friday, 13 May 2022, pending unforeseen delays and bad weather. The following roads are expected to be affected Muller Road in Wetton between Norman Avenue and Woodlands Road, Crescent Road in Ottery between Beryl Road and Enslin Street, Beryl Road in Ottery between Lovat Road and Crescent Road. Motorists are advised to be vigilant.
- CAPE TOWN – 04 APR 2022 (12H20) Protest reported on Aberdare Street and Magalies Street in Deft. The demonstrators have barricaded the road with burning tyres and debris. Motorists are advised to avoid the area and use alternative routes. Police have been dispatched.
- CAPE TOWN – 04 APR 2022 (16H30) The Khayelitsha Magistrate’s Court has postponed the court case of a suspect to Friday, 08 April 2022, who is accused of killing six people in the Cape Flats. The suspect, with two other unknown suspects, allegedly opened fire due to a gang violence dispute in March 2022. National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) Spokesperson Eric Ntabazalila stated that the suspect remains in custody.
UPCOMING EVENTS – 04 APR 2022
- TSHWANE/ PRETORIA: Protest expected at 123 Francis Baard street on 05 April 2022 at 10H00 by members of the Economic Freedom Fighters Students Command (EFFSC).
- TSHWANE/ PRETORIA: Protest expected by the members of the Forgotten Nation on Wednesday, 06 April 2022, at the Department of Employment and Labour.
- CAPE TOWN: Peaceful protest expected by the Economic Freedom Fighters (EFF) at Ruperts Farm in Stellenbosch on Wednesday, 06 April 2022.
- BLOEMFONTEIN: The pre-trial hearing of former Premier Ace Magashule and co-accused in the asbestos corruption case is expected to start on Sunday, 10 April 2022.
- BLOEMFONTEIN: Former President Jacob Zuma is expected to appear in the Supreme Court of Appeal (SCA) in Bloemfontein on Monday, 11 April 2022.
- KING WILLIAMS: Enoch Mgijima Local Municipality is expected to hold elections for Ward 33 on Wednesday, 20 April 2022.
- RUSTENBURG: Unrest expected at the Olympia Park Stadium by Operation Dudula members from 09H00 on 27 April 2022.
Website: www.willshir.com – 2022 ©️ Willshir & Associates
Willshir & Associates – Business Intelligence Program (JK)