- This event has passed.
WILLSHIR – SOUTH AFRICA – TIMELINE – 04 MAY 2022 (19H00)
SOUTH AFRICA – EASTERN CAPE – 04 MAY 2022
• EAST LONDON – 04 MAY 2022 (04H00) The African National Congress (ANC) in the Eastern Cape is expected to meet with the National Executive Committee (NEC) today, 04 May 2022, at 17H00. The announcement follows after the Provincial Task Team (PTT) sent the NEC and Provincial Leaderships an invitation to meet regarding the conference’s pending matters ahead of the provincial conference expected between 06 May 2022 and 08 May 2022. The members are set to discuss the eligibility of people who has pending cases against them with the party’s National Disciplinary Committee of Appeal. Furthermore, the party is expected to discuss whether the members can participate in the Provincial Conference. This follows as Zweli Mkhize has not been criminally charged for his alleged involvement in the Digital Vibes case. Additionally, Babalo Madikizela has allegedly received approximately R350,000 illegally from Winnie Madikizela-Mandela’s memorial service. Both Mkhize and Madikizela are expected to be removed due to the party’s step aside policy. The Party Treasurer of the Secretary-General’s Office (SGO), Paul Mashatile, has been asked to provide further clarity on this matter.
• PORT ELIZABETH/GQEBERHA – 04 MAY 2022 (12H50) The Department of Health has obtained an interim court interdict against the National Education, Health and Allied Workers Union (NEHAWU), Democratic Nursing Organisation of South Africa (DENOSA), National Union of Public Service and Allied Workers (NUPSAW), and the Young Nurses Indaba Trade Union and Public (YNITU) trade unions. The court order temporarily bars the unions from further unprotected strikes at clinics in Nelson Mandela Bay. This follows ongoing protests due to staff shortages, which led to the closure of several clinics in Nelson Mandela Bay.
SOUTH AFRICA – FREE STATE – 04 MAY 2022
• BLOEMFONTEIN – 04 MAY 2022 (14H30) Protest reported at the entrance of the Technical Vocational Education and Training (TVET) College in Bloemfontein. The Student Representative Council (SRC) of the Economic Freedom Fighters Student Command (EFFSC) is leading the protest. Students are protesting due to the non-payment of National Student Financial Aid Scheme (NSFAS) allowances. Students are demanding that their academics be placed on hold until NSFAS pay the allowances. Motorists are advised to avoid the area. Public Order Police are on the scene.
• VIRGINIA – 04 MAY 2022 (14H50) The Virginia Magistrate Court has postponed the murder case of Ward Councillor Piet Moletsane to 13 May 2022. This follows after Ward Councillor Piet Moletsane was shot on 23 September 2021. The Provincial Organised Crime Unit was tasked to investigate the murder, and on 28 January 2022, the unit successfully traced and arrested two suspects for the murder of the deceased. Further investigation revealed that the two accused were allegedly hired as hitmen. After an intensive investigation, a former Ward Councillor was also arrested for the murder. The former Ward Councillor is allegedly the organiser of the murder. The former Ward Councillor remain in custody.
• WELKOM – 04 MAY 2022 (17H00) Free State Police have raised concerns about cases of kidnapping that have recently increased in the Matjhabeng Local Municipality in Welkom. The Free State Police Spokesperson, Stephen Thakeng, stated that several kidnappings were reported in Matjhabeng, and ten suspects were arrested. Thakeng stated that seven kidnappers were arrested in Bothaville after kidnapping a victim in his Kutloanong residence, withdrawing money, and demanding a further R80,000. In addition, three businessmen who are foreign nationals were also kidnapped. However, the kidnappers were arrested while one suspect escaped. The suspects appeared at the Welkom Magistrate’s Court, and the case was postponed to 08 May 2022. Police are continuing investigations in several other kidnapping cases.
SOUTH AFRICA – GAUTENG – 04 MAY 2022
• CARLETONVILLE – 04 MAY 2022 (06H50) President Cyril Ramaphosa is expected to deliver a keynote address at the official opening of Corobrik’s Kwastina brick manufacturing factory in Driefontein today, 04 May 2022, from 14H00. The state-of-the-art factory forms part of an R800 million investment, which goes hand in hand with a further R200million earmarked to expand Corobrik’s concrete operations in KwaZulu-Natal.
• TSHWANE/PRETORIA – 04 MAY 2022 (09H25) Road closure reported on the N4 between Bon Accord and Doornpoort due to a motor vehicle and heavy motor vehicle accident. Motorists are advised to avoid the area and use alternative routes. Emergency services are on the scene.
• KRUGERSDORP – 04 MAY 2022 (12H00) UPDATE Municipal workers have ended their protest following their meeting with the Executive Mayor, Gray. The Mayor had signed a memorandum of demands, and the Municipality is expected to process verification and calculations of outstanding wage gaps are expected to begin on Friday, 20 May 2022. (09H00) Mogale City Municipality employees are expected to meet the Executive Mayor, Tyrone Gray, today, 04 May 2022. This follows recent protests by the employees to demand payment of wage gaps and the failure of the Council to address issues of the wage gap.
• TSHWANE/PRETORIA – 04 MAY 2022 (13H00) UPDATE YNITU members have arrived at the National Department of Health to hand over a memorandum of demands. (10H10) YNITU members have started gathering at Princess Park ahead of their march to the National Department of Health and National Department of Treasury. (07H35) Road closures expected during the Young Nurses Indaba Trade Union (YNITU) march. The following intersections will be affected, Voortrekker Road, Madiba Street, WF Nkomo Street, Kgosi Mampuru Street, Sophie De Bruyn Street, Bosman Street, Paul Kruger Street, Thabo Sehume Street. Motorists are advised to avoid affected streets and use the following alternative routes, Eskia Mphahlele Drive, Francis Baard Street, Struben Street, Boom Street, Nana Sita Street. (07H05) Protest expected by Young Nurses Indaba Trade Union members today, 04 May 2022, at the National Department of Health and National Treasury. The demonstrators are expected to gather at Princess Park from 09H00 and march to the Departments. The demonstrators are expected to protest to demand the filling of permanent vacant posts and address the shortage of Health Workers. Motorists are advised to avoid the area and use alternative routes. Police will be deployed to monitor the area.
• TSHWANE/ PRETORIA – 04 MAY 2022 (13H40) The Department of Health has issued a warning to citizens of a possible measles outbreak. This follows after the World Health Organisation reported that over the past year, the COVID-19 pandemic had caused an increase in the number of cases globally. The Department Spokesperson Lesley Bamford stated that South Africa had not seen an increase in measles. However, citizens need to be alert to the possibilities.
• SANDTON – 04 MAY 2022 (15H15) UPDATE Eskom CEO, Andre de Ruyter, stated that loadshedding will not be lifted before Monday, 09 May 2022. The power network was limited this week due to several challenges that Eskom still need to address. The unplanned interruptions currently stand at 14,758 Megawatt (MW). This is equivalent to three Medupi-sized power stations that are not available. (08H05) The Eskom Group Chief Executive (CEO), Andre de Ruyter, is expected to hold a media brief today, 04 May 2022, from 10H00. Eskom’s management team is expected to provide an update on the current system challenges.
• SOWETO – 04 MAY 2022 (15H45) City Power has embarked on an emergency shutdown of the Eldorado Park substation. The shutdown is to allow the technicians to attend to oil leakage on the reservoir tank of Transformer 3, which poses a potential threat to the whole substation. The areas that will be affected include Eldorado Park Extension 2, 4, 5, 6 and 7, Devland Industrial, Eldorado Park North, Olifantsvlei, Eldorado Park West, Kliptown, Goudkopppies Business and Pimville Zone 9.
• JOHANNESBURG – 04 MAY 2022 (16H20) The Johannesburg Magistrates Court has postponed the case against former South African Airways Board Chairperson Dudu Myeni to 14 June 2022. This is the second postponement of Myeni’s case relating to the disclosure of the identity of a protected witness at the State Capture Commission of Inquiry in 2020. Myeni’s legal team stated that she is unwell and could not make it to court today, 04 May 2022.
SOUTH AFRICA – KWAZULU-NATAL – 04 MAY 2022
• DOLPHIN COAST – 04 MAY 2022 (07H40) Protest reported on the R102 in the vicinity of Imbonini Business Park. The demonstrators are protesting due to poor service delivery. The demonstrators have barricaded the road with burning tyres and debris. Motorists are advised to avoid the area and use alternative routes. Police are on the scene.
• DURBAN – 04 MAY 2022 (14H15) Shooting reported on Bulwer Road near Camelot College in Glenwood. The suspects attempted to hijack a vehicle. One off-duty Police officer has been shot and injured. Motorists are advised to use alternative routes and avoid the area. Police have been dispatched to the scene.
• QUEENSBURGH – 04 MAY 2022 (14H45) Shooting reported at a church opposite Wingen Heights School in Shallcross. One security guard has been shot and killed. Motorists are advised to use alternative routes. Police have been dispatched to the scene.
SOUTH AFRICA – LIMPOPO – 04 MAY 2022
• MOKOPANE – 04 MAY 2022 (06H10) The Economic Freedom Fighters (EFF) is expected to hold a Karl Marx Lecture on Thursday, 05 May 2022, from 10H00 at the Church of the First Born in the vicinity of Mokopane Hospital. Deputy President Floyd Shivambu is expected to address during the lecture.
SOUTH AFRICA – MPUMALANGA – 04 MAY 2022
• CAROLINA – 04 MAY 2022 (12H20) President Cyril Ramaphosa is expected to visit the Gert Sibande District Municipality on Friday, 20 May 2022, to engage with community members during a Presidential Imbizo. The Presidential Imbizo is expected to be held at the Silobela Stadium from 10H00 in the Gert Sibande Municipality.
• NELSPRUIT/ MBOMBELA – 04 MAY 2022 (13H50) Economic Freedom Fighters (EFF) leader Julius Malema and former National Chairperson Dali Mpofu are visiting the Gardee residence after the passing of Hillary Gardee, the former EFF Secretary-General, Godrich Gardee’s daughter. A group of EFF members are outside the residence for support.
SOUTH AFRICA – NORTH WEST – 04 MAY 2022
• BAKERVILLE – 04 MAY 2022 (08H20) Protest reported on the R505 in the vicinity of Bakerville. The demonstrators due to poor service delivery. The demonstrators have barricaded the road with burning tyres and debris. Motorists are advised to avoid the area and use alternative routes. Police are on the scene.
• GANYESA – 04 MAY 2022 (14H00) Member of Executive Council (MEC) for Department of Cooperative Governance and Traditional Affairs (COGTA) in North West Province, Nomatsama Miga and Kagisano Molopo Mayor Tshireletso Marabutse are among government officials currently addressing members of the community at Tlou Le Tau Tribal Offices in Ganyesa. Community members are calling for the removal of Kagisano Molopo Municipal Manager, Olaotse Bojosinyane, with immediate effect.
SOUTH AFRICA – NORTHERN CAPE – 04 MAY 2022
• KAKAMAS – 04 MAY 2022 (11H35) The South African Weather Service (SAWS) has issued a warning for possible wildfire conditions in the Kai! Garib Local Municipality from today, 04 May 2022. The following areas are expected to be affected, Kakamas, Keimoes, Schroder, Melkboom, Augrabies, Lutzputs, and Welgelegen.
• KIMBERLEY – 04 MAY 2022 (16H05) The Sol Plaatje Municipality announced a planned water shutdown on Thursday, 12 May 2022, until Sunday, 15 May 2022. The time will be used to repair the bulk water infrastructure.
SOUTH AFRICA – WESTERN CAPE – 04 MAY 2022
• CAPE TOWN – 04 MAY 2022 (08H40) Protest reported on Proton Road in the vicinity of Northlink College, Belhar Campus. Students are protesting due to unpaid National Student Financial Aid Scheme (NSFAS) allowances. The demonstrators have barricaded the road with burning tyres and debris. Motorists are advised to avoid the area and use alternative routes. Police have been dispatched.
UPCOMING EVENTS – 04 MAY 2022
• PORT ELIZABETH/GQEBERHA: The Nelson Bay Municipality is expected to host an information session on Thursday, 05 May 2022, at 18H00.
• MOKOPANE: The Economic Freedom Fighters (EFF) is expected to hold a Karl Marx Lecture on Thursday, 05 May 2022, from 10H00 at the Church of the First Born in the vicinity of Mokopane Hospital.
• CARLETONVILLE: The National Union of Mineworkers (NUM) and Association of Mineworkers and Construction Union (AMCU) are expected to hold a meeting with Sibanye-Stillwater management on Thursday, 05 May 2022.
• EAST LONDON: The African National Congress (ANC) is expected to hold its Provincial Conference from Friday, 06 May 2022, until Sunday, 08 May 2022, at the International Convention Centre.
• KIMBERLEY: The Sol Plaatje Municipality announced a planned water shutdown on Thursday, 12 May 2022, until Sunday, 15 May 2022.
• CAROLINA: President Cyril Ramaphosa is expected to visit the Gert Sibande District Municipality on Friday, 20 May 2022, to engage with community members during a Presidential Imbizo.
Website: www.willshir.com – 2022 ©️ Willshir & Associates
Willshir & Associates – Business Intelligence Program (JK)