- This event has passed.
WILLSHIR – SOUTH AFRICA – TIMELINE – 05 MAY 2022 (10H00)
SOUTH AFRICA – EASTERN CAPE – 05 MAY 2022
- EAST LONDON – 05 MAY 2022 (02H00) The Parliament’s Standing Committee on Public Accounts (SCOPA) has requested that the Government take action against the Road Accident Fund (RAF) management. This follows after the RAFs management altered their accounting system when they audited the RAFs financial statement for the 2020/2021 financial year. The Office of the Auditor General (AG) noted that they allegedly warned the RAF management that the system being used is outdated. Following this, the RAF received an audit opinion that showed an irregular expenditure of approximately R90 million due to non-compliance with the Act.
- PORT ELIZABETH/GQEBERHA – 05 MAY 2022 (06H30) The Nelson Bay Municipality is expected to host an information session today, 05 May 2022, from 18H00. The session is expected to discuss the drought crisis in the area. This follows as the City’s dam level has been reported at approximately 14%. Residents are urged to gather at the Despatch Town Hall, Uitenhage Town Hall, Gelvandale Community Hall and others. The session is set to be provided to the public virtually.
SOUTH AFRICA – FREE STATE – 05 MAY 2022
- PHUTHADITJHABA – 05 MAY 2022 (00H25) Service disruption reported in the Qwaqwa region. Reports indicate that the region has experienced a three-day electrical outage. Municipal Spokesperson Thabo Kessah noted that the disruption followed after a tree fell on an electrical line on Sunday, 01 May 2022. The tree allegedly fell due to a local resident felling trees. The affected areas are set to include Lusaka, Qholaqhwe and other areas. The Municipality is expected to deploy maintenance workers to repair the electrical line.
SOUTH AFRICA – GAUTENG – 05 MAY 2022
- JOHANNESBURG – 04 MAY 2022 (19H00) Public Protector Advocate Busisiwe Mkhwebane is expected to open a criminal case against Ismail Abramjee. This comes after Abramjee sent a message to Breitenbach notifying him of a Constitutional Court decision. Abramjee allegedly stated that Mkhwebane’s recission case was going to be dismissed by the Constitutional Court. Breitenbach alerted the council about this message, which led to the postponement of the case. Abramjee denies him having this information was a case of judicial capture and claims the information came from newspaper reports and his own analyses, not inside sources.
- CARLETONVILLE – 04 MAY 2022 (19H15) Police arrested a suspect for stealing the property of Anglo Gold Ashanti Hospital, today, 04 May 2022. The suspect has been caught stealing stolen copper cables, gas stoves, monitors, and mattresses and vandalised two state-of-the-art digital X-ray machines belonging to the hospital. The Police have launched a search operation for two additional suspects involved in the crime. The suspects allegedly forcibly gained entry into the hospital premises.
- ALBERTON – 04 MAY 2022 (19H50) Protest reported on the R550 between R59 and N3 in the Vereeniging NU area. Demonstrators are barricading the road with burning tyres and debris. Motorists are advised to use alternative routes and avoid the area. Police have been dispatched to the scene.
- HEIDELBERG – 04 MAY 2022 (22H00) The South African Police Services (SAPS) has announced an alleged criminal operation between the R23 off-ramp and the R42 Jacobs off-ramp. This follows after motorists removed a tyre in the road suspected to have fallen off of a truck. Following the removal, motorists reported two male suspects fitted with dark work suits allegedly placing the tyre back on the road. Motorists have been advised not to stop at the area.
- JOHANNESBURG – 04 MAY 2022 (22H30) The Former South African Airways (SAA) Chairperson Duduzile Myeni’s court hearing has been postponed by the Gauteng Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) Andrew Chauke. The court has allocated 14 June 2022 as the next court hearing. Myeni’s legal team has stated that Myeni’s absence is due to a medical condition. Following the postponement, Advocate Rendani Ndou applied for an arrest warrant which has been stayed until the next court hearing. Myeni has been charged with defeating or obstructing the administration of justice and contravening the commission regulations of the judicial commission of inquiry into allegations of State Capture.
- MIDRAND – 04 MAY 2022 (23H10) The South African Government has requested that the public provide comments on the elected Deputy Chief Justice of the Republic of South Africa. The announcement follows after Justice Mandisa Maya accepted the Presidential nomination and submitted the required Judicial Service Commission (JSC) documents on 03 May 2022. Maya is expected to be interviewed on 20 June 2022 to determine her suitability for the appointment as Deputy Chief Justice.
- PRETORIA/TSHWANE – 05 MAY 2022 (00H00) The Government has announced the revised COVID-19 regulations for South Africa to take effect from Thursday, 05 May 2022. The public, excluding children at school, is required to wear a face mask when entering and being inside an indoor public space. Additionally, no person is allowed to use public transportation without the usage of a face mask. The capacity for indoor and outdoor gatherings is set to allow 50% of a venue’s capacity if the attendees are vaccinated against COVID-19 and can provide a valid vaccination certificate. If the attendees are unable to meet the requirements, indoor gatherings are set to allow 1,000 civilians or 50% of the venue’s capacity, whichever is less. Further, outdoor gatherings are set to allow 2,000 people or 50%, whichever is smaller. Health Minister Dr Joe Phaahla allegedly extended the period for public comments on health regulations, including the Surveillance and Control of Notifiable Medical Conditions, the Public Measures in Points of Entry, and the Management of Human Remains and Environmental Health, to 05 July 2022.
- JOHANNESBURG – 05 MAY 2022 (00H40) The Democratic Alliance (DA) has announced the retainment of Ward 96. This followed after Ge Breytenbach succeeded in his elections in Tshwane. Breytenbach is set to replace the previous Councillor Lucky Mbiza.
- SOWETO – 05 MAY 2022 (06H00) The Gauteng Member of Executive Council (MEC) for Community Safety, Faith Mazibuko, is expected to join a prayer service with Faith-Based Organisations (FBO) and the Kliptown policing precinct communities today 05 May 2022, from 09H00. The service follows after the shooting incident at Chicken Farm, Pimville. During the incident, Kgomotso Diale died, and others were injured. Furthermore, the service is set to promote the relations between Police and community members. The Police are expected to lead the MEC and FBOs from the Pimville Community Hall to the crime scene and then proceed to Selection Park for the prayer service.
- JOHANNESBURG – 05 MAY 2022 (06H05) The Economic Freedom Fighters Student Command (EFFSC) is expected to host an annual recruitment drive at the University of Witwatersrand on Thursday, 05 May 2022. The drive is set to start at the OLS gate from approximately 10H00 until 14H00 and at the West Campus from approximately 14H30 until 17H00.
- CARLETONVILLE – 05 MAY 2022 (06H40) The National Union of Mineworkers (NUM) and Association of Mineworkers and Construction Union (AMCU) are expected to hold a meeting with Sibanye-Stillwater management today, 05 May 2022. The unions and mine management will continue with negotiations regarding wage increases. The unions demand an R1,000 increase and a 6% rise for miners, artisans and officials.
- RANDBURG – 05 MAY 2022 (08H40) The Economic Freedom Fighter (EFF) Commander in Chief (CIC), Julius Malema, is expected to appear at the Randburg Magistrate Court on Friday, 06 May 2022, from 09H00. Malema is expected to appear for the hearing on the matter of the Police officer who allegedly denied Malema entry into the final resting place of Winnie Madikizela-Mandela in 2018.
SOUTH AFRICA – KWAZULU-NATAL – 05 MAY 2022
- DURBAN – 04 MAY 2022 (19H05) UPDATE Demonstrators are protesting at the intersection of Belvedere Drive and Flamingo Road. Motorists are advised to use alternative routes. (19H15) Protest expected in Tongaat on Thursday, 05 May 2022, by residents. Residents will be protesting due to poor service delivery regarding the lack of water supply in the area. Residents are expected to deliver a memorandum of demands to eThekwini Mayor Mxolisi Kaunda. Residents are asking that the municipality provide the task team and civic organisations with the city’s strategy to restore water in Tongaat.
- DURBAN – 05 MAY 2022 (06H50) Protest expected in Tongaat today, 05 May 2022, by residents. Residents will be protesting due to poor service delivery regarding the lack of water supply in the area. Residents are expected to deliver a memorandum of demands to eThekwini Mayor Mxolisi Kaunda. Residents are asking that the municipality provide the task team and civic organisations with the city’s strategy to restore water in Tongaat.
SOUTH AFRICA – LIMPOPO – 05 MAY 2022
- TZANEEN – 04 MAY 2022 (20H00) Police have launched a search operation for suspects involved in the Leyenye Post Office robbery. An unconfirmed number of armed suspects entered the post office at Lenyenye. The suspects gained access to the safe and cash registers, from which they took an undisclosed amount of money.
- MOKOPANE – 05 MAY 2022 (06H35) The Economic Freedom Fighters (EFF) is expected to a Karl Marx Lecture today, 05 May 2022, from 10H00 at the Church of the First Born in the vicinity of Mokopane Hospital. Deputy President Floyd Shivambu is expected to address during the lecture.
SOUTH AFRICA – MPUMALANGA – 05 MAY 2022
- SABIE – 04 MAY 2022 (21H00) Motorists are advised that the R532 Sabie to Graskop and Pilgrims Rest will be closed from Thursday, 05 May 2022, for traffic until Friday, 06 May 2022, afternoon due to sink hole rehabilitation blasting works. Motorists will be able to access Mac Mac Falls. However, not further onwards. People from White River and Mbombela are advised to travel through Hazyview to Graskop. The hour stop and go at Korwyn Pass Tunnel will be placed on hold for the day
- NELSPRUIT/MBOMBELA – 04 MAY 2022 (22H40) The Gardee family is expected to address the media on Thursday, 05 May 2022. The family is expected to discuss the arrangements for Hillary Gardee’s funeral service. The briefing is set to occur at approximately 09H00 at 10 Loerie West Acres, Nelspruit.
- LYDENBURG – 05 MAY 2022 (09H00) Protest reported at Estralita Special School. Economic Freedom Fighters (EFF) members are protesting against the school’s Principle. The demonstrators have blockaded the entrance of the school. Members of the public are advised to avoid the area and use alternative routes. Police have been dispatched.
SOUTH AFRICA – NORTH WEST – 05 MAY 2022
- TAUNG – 04 MAY 2022 (20H40) The Taung Magistrate’s Court has postponed the murder case of Thabiso Mothibedi to Monday, 09 May 2022. This follows after the Police arrested two suspects in connection with the murder in Manthe village near Taung on Friday, 29 April 2022. Community members in the area set alight three houses and a vehicle belonging to one of the suspects in retaliation for the murder. Police are investigating the matter.
SOUTH AFRICA – NORTHERN CAPE – 05 MAY 2022
- UPINGTON – 04 MAY 2022 (20H15) Public Protector Advocate Busisiwe Mkhwebane has found the Dawid Kruiper Municipality in the Northern Cape guilty of improper conduct and maladministration. This follows after the municipality failed to compensate two complainants for the loss of their livestock in 2016. The complainants, Tununu Lankalebalela and Mavela Mahlokomane, sustained the loss of their livestock as a result of electrocution from a powerline in the Hondejag area. The complainants submitted claims to the municipality in August 2016. However, the compensation for the loss of their livestock remains outstanding.
SOUTH AFRICA – WESTERN CAPE – 05 MAY 2022
- CAPE TOWN – 04 MAY 2022 (19H00) Protest reported on New Eisleben Road/ N18 and Stulo Road in Nyanga. Residents are protesting due to poor service delivery by Eskom regarding repairs at the local substation. Demonstrators are barricading the roads with burning tyres and debris. Motorists are advised to avoid the area. Police are on the scene.
- CAPE TOWN – 05 MAY 2022 (07H50) Protest reported at Northlink College, Belhar Campus. Students are protesting due to unpaid National Student Financial Aid Scheme (NSFAS) allowances. The demonstrators have barricaded the road with burning tyres and debris. Motorists are advised to avoid the area and use alternative routes. Police have been dispatched.
UPCOMING EVENTS – 05 MAY 2022
- EAST LONDON: The African National Congress (ANC) is expected to hold its Provincial Conference from Friday, 06 May 2022, until Sunday, 08 May 2022, at the International Convention Centre.
- KIMBERLEY: The Sol Plaatje Municipality announced a planned water shutdown on Thursday, 12 May 2022, until Sunday, 15 May 2022.
- CAROLINA: President Cyril Ramaphosa is expected to visit the Gert Sibande District Municipality on Friday, 20 May 2022, to engage with community members during a Presidential Imbizo.
Website: www.willshir.com – 2022 ©️ Willshir & Associates
Willshir & Associates – Business Intelligence Program (LN)