- This event has passed.
WILLSHIR – SOUTH AFRICA – TIMELINE – 07 APR 2022 (10H00)
SOUTH AFRICA – EASTERN CAPE – 07 APR 2022
- BISHO – 07 APR 2022 (04H55) The Eastern Cape premier Oscar Mabuyane has suspended the Head of the Department of Education, Naledi Mbude. The suspension follows due to the delays in textbook delivery and the forfeiture of the R200 million grant for school infrastructure. On 15 March, 2022, the High Court issued an order for the provision of teaching supplies via the grant. The National Professional Teachers’ Organisation of South Africa (SA) survey reported that approximately 113 schools have not received textbooks. Mbude stated that the infrastructure budget has been underspent and forfeited due to irregular expenditures. Democratic Alliance (DA) Provincial Education Spokesperson Yusuf Cassim noted that approximately 3,157 schools are experiencing poor sanitation, in addition to an estimated 1,445 that still use pit latrine toilets.
SOUTH AFRICA – FREE STATE – 07 APR 2022
- LADYBRAND – 07 APR 2022 (06H05) The Deputy Minister in the Presidency responsible for State Security, Zizi Kodwa, is expected to visit the Maseru Bridge Port of Entry today, 07 April 2022. The Deputy Minister will interact with various Government officials stationed at the Port of Entry from State Security, Home Affairs, the Police, Port Health and the South African Revenue Service (SARS). The Deputy Minister will also inspect the state of the infrastructure and operations, including the challenges and interventions needed to strengthen operations at the Port of Entry. This visit coincides with the planned Presidential Oversight Visit and Imbizo in the Mangaung District, which takes place on Friday, 08 April 2022 and Saturday, 09 April 2022.
SOUTH AFRICA – GAUTENG – 07 APR 2022
- TSHWANE/ PRETORIA – 06 APR 2022 (19H45) Greyhound bus service announced that it will relaunch with a few routes on Wednesday, 13 April 2022. The company is now owned by a private trust and is expected to employ 200 people. This follows after the long-distance bus service ceased operations in February 2021, citing poor trading conditions caused by the COVID-19 pandemic and lockdown restrictions. Over 1,000 employees working for both Greyhound and Citiliner buses have been retrenched.
- JOHANNESBURG – 06 APR 2022 (23H50) Voter registrations for the Ward 53 By-Elections are expected on 09 April and 10 April 2022. Voting stations include the Slovoville Hall, Methodist Church of Southern Africa, Klipvalley primary and others. The public has been advised to provide the necessary Identity Documents and follow COVID-19 regulations.
- MIDRAND – 06 APR 2022 (20H50) Arrests reported in the Diepsloot area of Johannesburg. Police have announced the arrest of several suspects expected to be undocumented foreign nationals. The arrests follow increased Police presence in the Diepsloot area due to the protests and two-day shutdown of the area.
- RANDBURG – 07 APR 2022 (06H00) The Economic Freedom Fighters (EFF) leader, Julius Malema, and EFF Member of Parliament (MP) Mbuyiseni Ndlozi are expected to appear at the Randburg Magistrate’s Court today, 07 April 2022. Malema and Ndlozi allegedly assaulted a Senior Police Officer in uniform in April 2018. The Senior Police Officer laid a complaint with the Police. However, the Police failed to attend to the complaint until AfriForum’s Private Prosecution Unit made enquiries into the investigation in January 2019.
- BOKSBURG – 07 APR 2022 (09H10) The National Union of Metalworkers of South Africa (NUMSA) is expected to hold its National Bargaining Conference (NBC) from Monday, 11 April 2022, until Wednesday, 13 April 2022, at the Birchwood Hotel and OR Tambo Conference Centre from 09H00. The meeting will be held to prepare and consolidate demands from all the different sectors that the Union is organized in as part of preparations for wage talks. The conference will focus on Motor, Tyre, Auto, Infrastructure, Bus, Aviation, Eskom, Rotek, Road Accident Fund (RAF), Comair, Catering, Security and House Agreements.
- JOHANNESBURG – 07 APR 2022 (09H30) Protest expected by the Congress of the South African Trade Union (COSATU) members at the City of Johannesburg offices from 11H00. The demonstrators are expected to gather at the COSATU House from 10H00. The demonstrators are expected to protest in solidarity with the 130 South African Municipal Workers Union (SAMWU) employees and deliver a memorandum at the Executive Mayor’s office. The demonstrators are expected to disperse from 13H00. Motorists are advised to avoid the area and use alternative routes. Police will be deployed to monitor the area.
SOUTH AFRICA – KWAZULU-NATAL – 07 APR 2022
- DURBAN – 07 APR 2022 (08H30) The Durban Magistrate Court has postponed the case of Operation Dudula member Philani Gumede to Tuesday, 24 May 2022, to allow the Police to conduct further investigations. Gumede was arrested and charged with incitement to commit public violence and contravention of section 14 of the Cyber Crimes Act and was granted R5000 bail by the Magistrate Court.
SOUTH AFRICA – LIMPOPO – 07 APR 2022
- PIETERSBURG/POLOKWANE – 07 APR 2022 (07H00) The Road Agency Limpopo is expected to host a strategic partnership signing ceremony today, 07 April 2022. The ceremony is expected to enhance relationships with ten municipalities pertaining to road interventions for struggling municipalities.
- DENDRON – 07 APR 2022 (08H50) Protest reported on Republic Stree in the vicinity of Global Fuel Station and the Central Business District (CBD)area. The demonstrators are protesting due to poor service delivery related to electricity. The demonstrators have barricaded the road with burning tyres and debris. Motorists are advised to avoid the area and use alternative routes. Police have been dispatched.
SOUTH AFRICA – MPUMALANGA – 07 APR 2022
- NELSPRUIT/ MBOMBELA – 06 APR 2022 (19H00) The newly-elected African National Congress (ANC) Treasurer in Mpumalanga Mandla Msibi has agreed to resign. This follows after ANC officials requested Msibi to resign due to his murder and attempted murder charges. Msibi has agreed to adhere to the ANC regulation.
- HAZYVIEW – 07 APR 2022 (04H00) A Police search operation has been launched. This follows after the altercation at a tavern in the Hazyview area. The Suspect allegedly fired at three civilians and set alight two vehicles on Monday, 04 April 2022, at approximately 06H30. Two civilians had been injured, in addition to another who was fatally injured. The Provincial Police Commissioner Lieutenant-General Semakaleng Manamela called on liquor business owners to operate within the law and ensure that customers are not armed.
- KRIEL – 07 APR 2022 (06H20) Protest reported on the Kingfisher Drive towards the R547. The demonstrators have barricaded the road with burning tyres and debris. All roads heading to Dorstfontein and Ermelo have been closed. Motorists are advised to avoid the area and use alternative routes. Police have been dispatched.
SOUTH AFRICA – NORTH WEST – 07 APR 2022
- POTCHEFSTROOM – 06 APR 2022 (19H20) Healthcare workers held a protest at the Potchefstroom Hospital today, 06 April 2022. The healthcare workers have been protesting due to the non-payment of overtime and moonlighting shifts. The demonstrators stated that instead of being financially remunerated, the hospital would reward them with a day off.
- VRYBURG – 07 APR 2022 (01H50) Protest expected by the Naledi Community Against Crime (NCAC) on 20 April 2022 at 08H30. Members are expected to protest regarding the end of Gender-Based Violence (GBV), service delivery, corrupt legal systems and others. Members are set to start at the Huhudi stadium, colour block taxi rank and the Colridge stadium at approximately 08H30. Furthermore, protestors are set to march towards Stellalander park at 10H00 for discussions. Members are expected to end the march at the Vryburg Magistrates Court.
- POTCHEFSTROOM – 07 APR 2022 (08H40) UPDATE Demonstrations reported at the Traffic Department. The demonstrators have closed the offices and barricaded the area. Motorists are advised to avoid the area and use alternative routes. (08H20) Protest reported at the JB Marks Municipality offices. The demonstrators are protesting due to poor service delivery. The demonstrators have blockaded the area. Members of the public are advised to avoid the area and use alternative routes. Police are on the scene.
SOUTH AFRICA – NORTHERN CAPE – 07 APR 2022
- POSTMASBURG – 06 APR 2022 (19H35) The Tsantsabane Unemployment and Business Forum (TUBF) has announced the postponement of their protest. This is to allow the TUBF to engage in discussions with mining companies. The TUBF held a meeting with mining companies and the Department of Minerals and Energy (DMR) today, 06 April 2022. The TUBF has given the mining companies until 01 May 2022 to respond to their grievances. Community members have been protesting due to mining companies not contributing to the Social Labour Plan (SLP).
- KATHU – 07 APR 2022 (07H25) Protest reported on the N14 in the vicinity of Mokala Mine and towards the R31. Residents are protesting to demand t be employed by the mine. The demonstrators have barricaded the road with a truck. Motorists are advised to avoid the area and use alternative routes. Police have been dispatched.
SOUTH AFRICA – WESTERN CAPE – 07 APR 2022
- CAPE TOWN – 07 APR 2022 (06H10) Protest expected by the Cape Amalgamated Taxi Association (CATA) and Cape Organisation for the Democratic Taxi Association (CODETA). Taxi operators are expected to protest following their march to the Premier’s office to hand over a memorandum of demands. Motorists are advised to avoid the area and use alternative routes. Police will be deployed to monitor the area.
UPCOMING EVENTS – 07 APR 2022
- TSHWANE/ PRETORIA: Protest expected at the Union Buildings by the Economic Freedom Fighters Student Command (EFFSC) on Friday, 08 April 2022.
- BLOEMFONTEIN: President Cyril Ramaphosa is expected to address the District Development Model (DDM) Presidential Imbizo to the Free State Province on Friday, 08 April, and Saturday, 09 April 2022, at the Dr Petrus Molemela Stadium.
- GERMISTON: Demonstration expected at the Germiston Civic Centre on Saturday, 09 April 2022, by members of Operation Dudula at 10H00.
- PORT ELIZABETH/ GQEBERHA: The Nelson Mandela Bay Municipality announced a scheduled power outage on Saturday, 09 April 2022, from 08H00 till 17H00.
- JOHANNESBURG: Voter registrations for the Ward 53 By-Elections are expected on 09 April and 10 April 2022.
- BLOEMFONTEIN: The pre-trial hearing of former Premier Ace Magashule and co-accused in the asbestos corruption case is expected to start on Sunday, 10 April 2022.
- DURBAN: Operation Dudula movement is expected to march on Sunday, 10 April 2022, from 08H30.
- BLOEMFONTEIN: Former President Jacob Zuma is expected to appear in the Supreme Court of Appeal (SCA) in Bloemfontein on Monday, 11 April 2022.
- JOHANNESBURG: Protest expected by the African Christian Democratic Party (ACDP) members on Wednesday, 13 April 2022, at the Constitutional Court.
- KING WILLIAMS: Enoch Mgijima Local Municipality is expected to hold elections for Ward 33 on Wednesday, 20 April 2022.
- VRYBURG: Protest expected by the Naledi Community Against Crime (NCAC) on 20 April 2022 at 08H30.
- RUSTENBURG: Unrest expected at the Olympia Park Stadium by Operation Dudula members from 09H00 on 27 April 2022.
Website: www.willshir.com – 2022 ©️ Willshir & Associates
Willshir & Associates – Business Intelligence Program (LN)