- This event has passed.
WILLSHIR – SOUTH AFRICA – TIMELINE – 10 FEB 2022 (10H00)
SOUTH AFRICA – EASTERN CAPE – 10 FEB 2022
- BISHO – 09 FEB 2022 (21H20) Protest expected by the Economic Freedom Fighters (EFF) members on Thursday, 17 February 2022, at the Provincial Legislature from 14H00. The demonstrators are expected to protest in demand of employment, payment of Education Assistants and General School Assistants, reinstatement of health workers, payment to service providers and the removal of Head of Department (HOD) of Treasury, Daliwongs Majeke. Motorists are advised to avoid the area and use alternative routes. Police are aware of the protest.
SOUTH AFRICA – FREE STATE – 10 FEB 2022
- BLOEMFONTEIN – 10 FEB 2022 (08H00) The Central University of Technology announced that it is closed until further notice. This is due to the ongoing protest by members of the Economic Freedom Fighters Student Command (EFFSC). The entrances to the university are barricaded with debris. The EFFSC has raised concerns regarding academics and the payment of allowances by the National Student Financial Aid Scheme (NSFAS). The EFFSC has given the CUT management until Monday, 14 February 2022, to respond to their demands.
SOUTH AFRICA – GAUTENG – 10 FEB 2022
- BOKSBURG – 09 FEB 2022 (20H45) The Deputy Ministers of the Department of Water and Sanitation, Dikeledi Magadzi and David Mahlobo, are expected to hold a Water and Sanitation institutional workshop with various stakeholders from the Water Management Institutions on Friday 11 February 2022, from 14H30 at the Birchwood Hotel. The Water and Sanitation institutional workshop is expected to include the Catchment Management Agencies (CMAs) and Water User Associations (WUAs). The workshop will be following Minister Senzo Mchunu’s Provincial working sessions with stakeholders. The workshop will provide an opportunity to discuss all issues emanating from the Ministerial working sessions with stakeholders and agree with stakeholders on possible interventions and approaches to be used. It will also communicate on issues of transformation, regulation, and implementation of water resource management in partnership with stakeholders.
- BOKSBURG – 09 FEB 2022 (23H00) UPDATE The South African Police Service (SAPS) has issued a statement announcing that one suspected illegal miner had been fatally wounded during an exchange of fire with Police in Boksburg, Ekurhuleni, earlier today, 09 February 2022. SAPS has also stated that eleven other illegal miners, locally known as Zama Zamas, had been arrested, and three illegal firearms and more than 70 rounds of ammunition had been recovered during the incident. The detained suspects are expected to be charged with possession of unlicensed firearms, possession of unlicensed ammunition, murder and attempted murder. The suspects are set to appear in the Boksburg Magistrates Court in due course. (14H30) Shooting in progress reported between illegal miners, also known as Zama Zamas, and the South African Police Service (SAPS) on Rondebult Road and Main Reef Road. Motorists are advised to avoid the area and use alternative routes. Police are on the scene.
- JOHANNESBURG – 10 FEB 2022 (06H15) Protest expected by members of Operation Dudula movement at the Booysens Magistrate Court from 08H30 today, 10 February 2022. The members would be protesting in solidarity with Advocate Ike Khumalo. Ike Khumalo’s is expected to appear in court following his arrest in connection with the looting and unrest in Gauteng and KwaZulu-Natal in July 2021. Motorists are advised to avoid the area and use alternative routes. Police will be deployed to the area to monitor the situation.
- JOHANNESBURG – 10 FEB 2022 (07H20) Protest reported outside the Johannesburg Magistrate Court. Members of the Economic Freedom Fighters (EFF) is protesting in support EFF leader Julius Malema and EFF Member of Parliament Mbuyiseni Ndlozi. This follows after Afriforum opened a court case against the EFF for using hate speech. EFF members attempted to rob AfriForum members’ cellphone. Motorists are advised to be vigilant. A heightened security presence is reported at the court.
- TSHWANE/ PRETORIA – 10 FEB 2022 (09H35) UPDATE Demonstrators are gathering at Princess Park ahead of their march to the Tshwane House. (06H00) Peaceful protest expected at the Tshwane House in Pretoria Central from 09H00 today, 10 February 2022. The Tshwane Metro Police Department has released a statement informing members of the public of an expected march from Princess Park towards Tshwane House. The demonstration follows allegations that only 1,500 security officers had been insourced despite a 2018 Council resolution that had been taken to insource a total of 4,000 security officers. The route of the march is expected to include WF Nkomo Street, Kgosi Mampuru Street and Madiba Street. Intersections that are expected to be affected include Sophie De Bryn Street, Bosman Street, Paul Kruger Street, Paul Kruger Street, and Paul Kruger Street. The demonstrators are expected to disperse from Tshwane House at 13H00. Tshwane Metro Police is set to be deployed to monitor the march and all affected streets. Motorists are advised to avoid affected areas and use alternative routes for the duration of the march.
SOUTH AFRICA – KWAZULU-NATAL – 10 FEB 2022
- MKUZE – 10 FEB 2022 (01H10) KwaZulu-Natal Premier Sihle Zikalala has called on communities residing in the uMkhanyakude District to collaborate with Government authorities in ongoing efforts to mitigate vehicle theft and other crimes in the northern region of the province. This follows after Zikalala recently conducted a visit to several Police stations within the uMkhanyakude District Municipality to assess their capacity. Zikalala, in collaboration with members of the Provincial Legislature, inspected the Jozini, Manguzi and Mbazwane Police Stations. The Premier also engaged members of the public, including community anti-crime structures. During the engagements, Zikalala addressed several issues, including cross-border crime in the uMkhanyakude District, where several incidents of vehicle hijackings have been reported. The Premier has called on stakeholders to cooperate with local authorities as efforts to decrease crime are pivotal to improving trade and tourism to develop the local economy in the district and surrounding areas.
- MATHULINI – 10 FEB 2022 (06H45) Road closure reported on the N2 in the Mfazazane area. The road is closed due to a heavy motor vehicle accident. Bystanders are looting a truck involved in the accident. Motorists are advised to use alternative routes. Police have been dispatched to the area.
- PIETERMARITZBURG – 10 FEB 2022 (08H00) UPDATE Demonstrators have barricaded the N3 and Dr Chota Motala Road. Motorists are advised to avoid the area. The situation is volatile. (07H30) Demonstrators have barricaded Ohrtmann Road. Motorists are advised to use Greytown Road to enter Pietermaritzburg. (05H45) Protest reported on East Street, Prince Alfred Street, Burger Street outside Jika Joe informal settlement. Community members are demanding housing from the municipality. Demonstrators are barricading the roads with burning tyres and debris. Motorists are advised to use alternative routes. Police are on the scene.
- PORT SHEPSTONE – 10 FEB 2022 (09H00) Protest reported on Izotsha Road near Titus Auto Centre in Riversmead. Demonstrators are marching on the road. Motorists are advised to use alternative routes. Police are on the scene.
- RICHARDS BAY – 10 FEB 2022 (09H25) UPDATE Community members are protesting due to poor service delivery regarding water outages. (07H10) Protest reported on John Ross Highway/ R34 near the Richards Bay Industrial Development Zone (RBIDZ). Demonstrators are barricading the road with debris and burning tyres. Motorists are advised to use alternative routes. Police are on the scene.
SOUTH AFRICA – LIMPOPO – 10 FEB 2022
- GROBLERSDAL – 09 FEB 2022 (19H55) The African National Congress (ANC) Sekhukhune Regional Chairperson, Julia Mathebe, has been elected as the Executive Mayor of Sekhukhune District Municipality, David Chego as the new Speaker and Johannes Phokane as the elected Chief Whip. Mathebe was elected during a special council sitting to replace the former elected mayor, Stan Ramaila. Mathebe was acquitted by the ANC’s national dispute resolution committee following disputes from party members in the region after Stan Ramaila was re-elected during a council sitting on 27 January 2022. Mathebe stated that District Municipality will ensure that the communities of Sekhukhune District have access to clean drinkable water and receive services delivery.
SOUTH AFRICA – MPUMALANGA – 10 FEB 2022
- BETHAL – 09 FEB 2022 (20H55) The Govan Mbeki Local Municipality has announced that the vandalism of water infrastructure has led to water challenges for Evander and Kinross residents. This follows after the Democratic Alliance (DA) stated that it will write to the South African Human Rights Commission to investigate the empty reservoirs. Acting Communications Manager, Donald Green, stated that civilians that vandalise the water network steal water and electrical equipment in various areas n the municipality. Green stated that the municipality has deployed a team to restore vandalised and stolen infrastructure and address security at various areas to guard the infrastructure.
- MBOMBELA/ NELSPRUIT – 10 FEB 2022 (08H30) Convicted murderer Julius Mndawe is expected to appear at the Mpumalanga High Court today, 10 February 2022. The Mpumalanga High Court is expected to sentence Mndawe. Mndawe has been found guilty on five counts of murder and defeated the ends of justice. This follows after Mndawe confessed to killing and burying victims in his yard.
SOUTH AFRICA – NORTH WEST – 10 FEB 2022
- SCHWEIZER-RENEKE – 10 FEB 2022 (02H20) The North West Provincial Legislation’s Portfolio Committee on Cooperative Governance has announced plans to instruct Member of Executive Council (MEC) Lehah Miga to interdict the Mamusa Local Municipality’s bank account. This follows as the municipality, which currently has two acting Municipal Managers, recently appeared before the Committee to account for its compliance with the Provisions of Municipal Structures Act and Financial Management. Portfolio Committee Chairperson Aron Motswana has raised concerns regarding a lack of accountability at the municipality. Motswana has stated that the Committee has resolved to direct the MEC for Local Government to investigate options of interdicting the usage of the municipal bank account until the municipality has resolved to appoint the rightful acting Municipal Manager.
SOUTH AFRICA – NORTHERN CAPE – 10 FEB 2022
- KIMBERLEY – 10 FEB 2022 (06H10) Protest expected by The United Community of Sol Plaatje Municipality (UCSPM) and Kimberley Action Group (KAG) members today, 10 February 2022, at the Sol Plaatje Municipality. The demonstrators are expected to protest against sexual harassment and victimisation complaints at the Municipality. Motorists are advised to avoid the area and use alternative routes. Police will be deployed to the area to monitor the situation
SOUTH AFRICA – WESTERN CAPE – 10 FEB 2022
- KNYSNA – 09 FEB 2022 (21H50) UPDATE Motorists are advised that the N2 between Nekkies and Buco Knysna has been closed to traffic due to ongoing protest action. Reports have indicated that demonstrators are throwing stones at passerby vehicles. Authorities are on the scene. Motorists are advised to avoid the area. (20H10) Protest reported on the N2 in the vicinity of Nekkies restaurant. The demonstrators are protesting due to poor service delivery. The demonstrators have barricaded the road with burning tyres and debris. Motorists are advised to avoid the area and use alternative routes. Police have been dispatched.
- CAPE TOWN – 09 FEB 2022 (20H40) Police Minister, Bheki Cele, is expected to address a parade of members of the South African Police Service (SAPS) and other Security forces, on Thursday, 10 February 2022, at the Castle of Good Hope from 12H00. The officers will be deployed in and around Cape Town to ensure the safety and security of the 2022 State of the Nation Address (SONA) on Thursday. The deployment will comprise of Law enforcement agencies from the SAPS, South African National Defence Force (SANDF), National Traffic Police, the Western Cape’s Provincial Traffic Police, City of Cape Town’s Metro Police, Traffic Services and Law enforcement officers.
- CAPE TOWN – 09 FEB 2022 (22H40) Road closure reported on the M5 Southbound off-ramp approaching the N1 Inbound in the vicinity of Maitland, Cape Town. The road has been closed to traffic to allow routing road maintenance operations. Authorities are on the scene. Motorists are advised to use alternative routes.
- CAPE TOWN – 09 FEB 2022 (22H55) Fire reported at the corner of Loop Street and Wale Street in Cape Town City Centre. Reports have indicated that an unidentified building is currently on fire in the area. Authorities have been dispatched to the scene. Motorists are advised to approach the area with caution.
- CAPE TOWN – 10 FEB 2022 (02H00) The M5 Southbound off-ramp approaching the N1 Inbound in the vicinity of Maitland, Cape Town, has been reopened to motorists. This follows after the road had been closed to traffic to allow routine road maintenance operations.
- CAPE TOWN – 10 FEB 2022 (06H10) Protest expected by the members affiliated with the South African Federation of Trade Unions (SAFTU) today, 10 February 2022, at the City hall. The demonstrators are expected to protest during the State of the Nation Address (SONA). The demonstrators demand a basic income grant of R1,500 and employment. Motorists are advised to avoid the area and use alternative routes. Police will be deployed to monitor the area.
- CAPE TOWN – 10 FEB 2022 (09H00) UPDATE President Cyril Ramaphosa has arrived at the Cape Town City Hall for the final walk-about with Parliament’s Presiding Officers to observe the state of readiness ahead of the SONA 2022. (06H00) President Cyril Ramaphosa is scheduled to deliver his State of the Nation Address (SONA) to the Joint Sitting of the National Assembly and the National Council of Provinces today, 10 February 2022, at 19H00. President Ramaphosa has called for the sitting to set out the Government’s key policy objectives and deliverables for 2022. During the address, President Ramaphosa will outline the achievements of 2021 and provide updates on developments planned for the upcoming financial year. The SONA will be held at the Cape Town City Hall. Road closures are reported throughout the day surrounding the City Hall. The roads include Darling Street, Longmarket Street, Corporation Street, Parade Street, Plein Street and Commercial Street. Motorists are advised to use alternative routes. A heightened security presence is reported in the vicinity of the City Hall.
UPCOMING EVENTS – 10 FEB 2022
- BRITS: Road closure expected on the R511 Westbound off-ramp from the N4 between Brits and Hartbeespoort from 07H00 on Tuesday, 08 February 2022, until 11 February 2022.
- POTCHEFSTROOM: Protest expected by members affiliated with The National Education, Health and Allied Workers’ Union (NEHAWU) on Monday, 14 February 2022 from 10H00 at the Department of Education.
- BISHO: Protest expected by the Economic Freedom Fighters (EFF) members on Thursday, 17 February at the Provincial Legislature from 14H00.
- TSHWANE/ PRETORIA: Finance Minister Enoch Godongwana is expected to deliver the inaugural National Budget Speech on Wednesday, 23 February 2022.
- JOHANNESBURG: South African Airways (SAA) announced that it will resume flights to Durban with three daily return flights from 04 March 2022.
Website: www.willshir.com – 2022 ©️ Willshir & Associates
Willshir & Associates – Business Intelligence Program (JK)