- This event has passed.
WILLSHIR – SOUTH AFRICA – TIMELINE – 10 FEB 2022 (19H00)
SOUTH AFRICA – EASTERN CAPE – 10 FEB 2022
- PORT ELIZABETH/GQEBERHA – 10 FEB 2022 (18H00) The Nelson Mandela Bay Municipality has announced a planned water outage on Tuesday, 15 February 2022. The scheduled water outage will allow the maintenance team to connect the suction pipeline for the new KaNobuhle pump station to the 900 millimetres (mm) pipeline of the Chelsea reservoir. This shutdown will also allow the Municipality to complete other critical tasks that may aid in the relief of the drought in the KwaNobuhle area. The following areas that will be affected include Rowallan Park, Francis Evatt Park, Hunters Retreat, Bay West, Parsonsvlei / Westbrook, Morningside, Kabega Park, Sherwood, Westering, Cotswold, Helenvale, Malabar, Parts of Schauderville, Framesby, Sunridge Park, Parts of Lorraine, Parts of Theescombe, Kamma Park. The Municipality has stated that updates will be provided to the public as the situation progresses.
SOUTH AFRICA – FREE STATE – 10 FEB 2022
- BLOEMFONTEIN – 10 FEB 2022 (08H00) The Central University of Technology announced that it is closed until further notice. This is due to the ongoing protest by members of the Economic Freedom Fighters Student Command (EFFSC). The entrances to the university are barricaded with debris. The EFFSC has raised concerns regarding academics and the payment of allowances by the National Student Financial Aid Scheme (NSFAS). The EFFSC has given the CUT management until Monday, 14 February 2022, to respond to their demands.
- ALLANRIDGE – 10 FEB 2022 (16H00) Road closure reported on the R30 between Allanridge and Bothaville due to flooding. Motorists are advised to avoid the area and use alternative routes. Emergency services are monitoring the area.
SOUTH AFRICA – GAUTENG – 10 FEB 2022
- JOHANNESBURG – 10 FEB 2022 (07H20) Protest reported outside the Johannesburg High Court. Members of the Economic Freedom Fighters (EFF) is protesting in support EFF leader Julius Malema and EFF Member of Parliament Mbuyiseni Ndlozi. This follows after Afriforum opened a court case against the EFF for using hate speech. EFF members attempted to rob AfriForum members’ cellphone. Motorists are advised to be vigilant. A heightened security presence is reported at the court.
- TSHWANE/ PRETORIA – 10 FEB 2022 (09H35) UPDATE Demonstrators are gathering at Princess Park ahead of their march to the Tshwane House. (06H00) Peaceful protest expected at the Tshwane House in Pretoria Central from 09H00 today, 10 February 2022. The Tshwane Metro Police Department has released a statement informing members of the public of an expected march from Princess Park towards Tshwane House. The demonstration follows allegations that only 1,500 security officers had been insourced despite a 2018 Council resolution that had been taken to insource a total of 4,000 security officers. The route of the march is expected to include WF Nkomo Street, Kgosi Mampuru Street and Madiba Street. Intersections that are expected to be affected include Sophie De Bryn Street, Bosman Street, Paul Kruger Street, Paul Kruger Street, and Paul Kruger Street. The demonstrators are expected to disperse from Tshwane House at 13H00. Tshwane Metro Police is set to be deployed to monitor the march and all affected streets. Motorists are advised to avoid affected areas and use alternative routes for the duration of the march.
- SOWETO – 10 FEB 2022 (10H45) Cash-in-transit (CIT) robbery reported on Cavendish Street in Nancefield, Soweto. An unknown number of armed suspects have robbed an armoured vehicle. A security guard is shot and injured. Motorists are advised to avoid the area. Police have been dispatched to the scene.
- SANDTON – 10 FEB 2022 (11H30) Protest reported on Marlboro Drive near the Engen Linbro Park. Alexandra community members are demanding work opportunities and are protesting against employment for foreign nationals. Demonstrators are throwing stones at passing vehicles. Motorists are advised to use alternative routes. Police and Security Service officers are on the scene.
- TEMBISA – 10 FEB 2022 (12H00) Protest reported on Olifantsfontein Road. Clayville community members are protesting due to poor service delivery regarding a three-day water and electricity interruption. Demonstrators are throwing stones at passing vehicles. Motorists are advised to use alternative routes. Police are on the scene.
- JOHANNESBURG – 10 FEB 2022 (13H40) UPDATE Demonstrations reported outside the court. Members of the public are advised to be vigilant. (06H15) Protest expected by members of Operation Dudula movement at the Booysens Magistrate Court from 08H30 today, 10 February 2022. The members would be protesting in solidarity with Advocate Ike Khumalo. Ike Khumalo’s is expected to appear in court following his arrest in connection with the looting and unrest in Gauteng and KwaZulu-Natal in July 2021. Motorists are advised to avoid the area and use alternative routes. Police will be deployed to the area to monitor the situation.
SOUTH AFRICA – KWAZULU-NATAL – 10 FEB 2022
- MKUZE – 10 FEB 2022 (01H10) KwaZulu-Natal Premier Sihle Zikalala has called on communities residing in the uMkhanyakude District to collaborate with Government authorities in ongoing efforts to mitigate vehicle theft and other crimes in the northern region of the province. This follows after Zikalala recently conducted a visit to several Police stations within the uMkhanyakude District Municipality to assess their capacity. Zikalala, in collaboration with members of the Provincial Legislature, inspected the Jozini, Manguzi and Mbazwane Police Stations. The Premier also engaged members of the public, including community anti-crime structures. During the engagements, Zikalala addressed several issues, including cross-border crime in the uMkhanyakude District, where several incidents of vehicle hijackings have been reported. The Premier has called on stakeholders to cooperate with local authorities as efforts to decrease crime are pivotal to improving trade and tourism to develop the local economy in the district and surrounding areas.
- MATHULINI – 10 FEB 2022 (06H45) Road closure reported on the N2 in the Mfazazane area. The road is closed due to a heavy motor vehicle accident. Bystanders are looting a truck involved in the accident. Motorists are advised to use alternative routes. Police have been dispatched to the area.
- PIETERMARITZBURG – 10 FEB 2022 (08H00) UPDATE Demonstrators have barricaded the N3 and Dr Chota Motala Road. Motorists are advised to avoid the area. The situation is volatile. (07H30) Demonstrators have barricaded Ohrtmann Road. Motorists are advised to use Greytown Road to enter Pietermaritzburg. (05H45) Protest reported on East Street, Prince Alfred Street, Burger Street outside Jika Joe informal settlement. Community members are demanding housing from the Municipality. Demonstrators are barricading the roads with burning tyres and debris. Motorists are advised to use alternative routes. Police are on the scene.
- PORT SHEPSTONE – 10 FEB 2022 (09H00) Protest reported on Izotsha Road near Titus Auto Centre in Riversmead. Demonstrators are marching on the road. Motorists are advised to use alternative routes. Police are on the scene.
- RICHARDS BAY – 10 FEB 2022 (09H25) UPDATE Community members are protesting due to poor service delivery regarding water outages. (07H10) Protest reported on John Ross Highway/ R34 near the Richards Bay Industrial Development Zone (RBIDZ). Demonstrators are barricading the road with debris and burning tyres. Motorists are advised to use alternative routes. Police are on the scene.
SOUTH AFRICA – LIMPOPO – 10 FEB 2022
- NORTHAM – 10 FEB 2022 (15H40) UPDATE The R510 route has been reopened for traffic flow. Police have dispersed the demonstrators. Motorists are advised to be vigilant. (11H00) Protest reported on the R510 between Northam and Thabazimbi. Demonstrators are barricading the road at the Tumela Mine Road and R510 intersection. Demonstrators are demanding work opportunities at the local mines. A heavy traffic delay is reported. Motorists are advised to use alternative routes. Police are on the scene.
SOUTH AFRICA – MPUMALANGA – 10 FEB 2022
- MBOMBELA/ NELSPRUIT – 10 FEB 2022 (08H30) Convicted murderer Julius Mndawe is expected to appear at the Mpumalanga High Court today, 10 February 2022. The Mpumalanga High Court is expected to sentence Mndawe. Mndawe has been found guilty on five counts of murder and defeated the ends of justice. This follows after Mndawe confessed to killing and burying victims in his yard.
- EMALAHLENI/WITBANK – 10 FEB 2022 (15H00) The Member of the Executive Council (MEC) for Public works, Roads and Transport, Mohita Latchminarain, is expected to attend to issues of Scholar Transport buses raised by the community of Klarinet and Siyanqoba under Emalahleni local municipality. This follows after a community protest that demands more buses.
SOUTH AFRICA – NORTH WEST – 10 FEB 2022
- SCHWEIZER-RENEKE – 10 FEB 2022 (02H20) The North West Provincial Legislation’s Portfolio Committee on Cooperative Governance has announced plans to instruct Member of Executive Council (MEC), Lehah Miga, to interdict the Mamusa Local Municipality’s bank account. This follows as the Municipality, which currently has two acting Municipal Managers, recently appeared before the Committee to account for its compliance with the Provisions of Municipal Structures Act and Financial Management. Portfolio Committee Chairperson Aron Motswana has raised concerns regarding a lack of accountability at the Municipality. Motswana has stated that the Committee has resolved to direct the MEC for Local Government to investigate options of interdicting the usage of the municipal bank account until the Municipality has resolved to appoint the rightful acting Municipal Manager.
- RUSTENBURG – 10 FEB 2022 (14H00) Protest reported in Phokeng. Residents have handed in a memorandum of demands to Bauba and Nuco Chrome Bophuthatswana management in Phokeng to demand employment. The demonstrators have barricaded the area. Motorists are advised to avoid the area and use alternative routes. Police are on the scene.
SOUTH AFRICA – NORTHERN CAPE – 10 FEB 2022
- KIMBERLEY – 10 FEB 2022 (06H10) Protest expected by The United Community of Sol Plaatje Municipality (UCSPM) and Kimberley Action Group (KAG) members today, 10 February 2022, at the Sol Plaatje Municipality. The demonstrators are expected to protest against sexual harassment and victimisation complaints at the Municipality. Motorists are advised to avoid the area and use alternative routes. Police will be deployed to the area to monitor the situation
SOUTH AFRICA – WESTERN CAPE – 10 FEB 2022
- CAPE TOWN – 10 FEB 2022 (02H00) The M5 Southbound off-ramp approaching the N1 Inbound in the vicinity of Maitland, Cape Town, has been reopened to motorists. This follows after the road had been closed to traffic to allow routine road maintenance operations.
- CAPE TOWN – 10 FEB 2022 (16H20) Protest reported outside the City Hall ahead of President Cyril Ramaphosa’s Stated of the National Address (SONA). The demonstrators are protesting due to the demand for safety in the areas. Motorists are advised to avoid the area and use alternative routes. Police are on the scene.
- CAPE TOWN – 10 FEB 2022 (18H05) UPDATE SAFTU members are marching to the Grand Parade next to the Cape Town City Hall, where President Cyril Ramaphosa will be addressing the nation. (16H45) SAFTU members have gathered outside the City Hall. (06H10) Protest expected by the members affiliated with the South African Federation of Trade Unions (SAFTU) today, 10 February 2022, at the City Hall. The demonstrators are expected to protest during the State of the Nation Address (SONA). The demonstrators demand a basic income grant of R1,500 and employment. Motorists are advised to avoid the area and use alternative routes. Police will be deployed to monitor the area.
- CAPE TOWN – 10 FEB 2022 (18H40) UPDATE Clashes reported between the Economic Freedom Fighters (EFF) and the South African Police Service (SAPS) ahead of the SONA. (17H00) Members of Parliament (MP) have arrived at the City Hall ahead of the SONA. (09H00) President Cyril Ramaphosa has arrived at the Cape Town City Hall for the final walk-about with Parliament’s Presiding Officers to observe the state of readiness ahead of the SONA 2022. (06H00) President Cyril Ramaphosa is scheduled to deliver his State of the Nation Address (SONA) to the Joint Sitting of the National Assembly and the National Council of Provinces today, 10 February 2022, at 19H00. President Ramaphosa has called for the sitting to set out the Government’s key policy objectives and deliverables for 2022. During the address, President Ramaphosa will outline the achievements of 2021 and provide updates on developments planned for the upcoming financial year. The SONA will be held at the Cape Town City Hall. Road closures are reported throughout the day surrounding the City Hall. The roads include Darling Street, Longmarket Street, Corporation Street, Parade Street, Plein Street and Commercial Street. Motorists are advised to use alternative routes. A heightened security presence is reported in the vicinity of the City Hall.
UPCOMING EVENTS – 10 FEB 2022
- BRITS: Road closure expected on the R511 Westbound off-ramp from the N4 between Brits and Hartbeespoort from 07H00 on Tuesday, 08 February 2022, until 11 February 2022.
- POTCHEFSTROOM: Protest expected by members affiliated with The National Education, Health and Allied Workers’ Union (NEHAWU) on Monday, 14 February 2022 from 10H00 at the Department of Education.
- BISHO: Protest expected by the Economic Freedom Fighters (EFF) members on Thursday, 17 February at the Provincial Legislature from 14H00.
- TSHWANE/ PRETORIA: Finance Minister Enoch Godongwana is expected to deliver the inaugural National Budget Speech on Wednesday, 23 February 2022.
- JOHANNESBURG: South African Airways (SAA) announced that it will resume flights to Durban with three daily return flights from 04 March 2022.
Website: www.willshir.com – 2022 ©️ Willshir & Associates
Willshir & Associates – Business Intelligence Program (LN)