- This event has passed.
WILLSHIR – SOUTH AFRICA – TIMELINE – 10 MAY 2022 (10H00)
SOUTH AFRICA – EASTERN CAPE – 10 MAY 2022
• PORT ELIZABETH/GQEBERHA – 10 MAY 2022 (06H00) Peaceful protest expected on Saturday, 21 May 2022, at Hobie Beach from 11H00. The demonstrators are expected to protest as part of the World Wide Rally for Freedom movement against COVID-19 vaccinations and passports and to call for an end to COVID-19 lockdown measures, among other reasons. Motorists are advised to be vigilant. Police will be deployed to monitor the area.
SOUTH AFRICA – FREE STATE – 10 MAY 2022
• BLOEMFONTEIN – 10 MAY 2022 (07H50) The Free State High Court is expected to resume the trial of the murder case against Stanley Bakili today, 10 May 2022. Bakili shot and killed a businessman, Louis Siemens, in 2018 at Preller Square’s parking area. Bakili and five suspects, including a South African Police Service (SAPS) officer and a South African National Defence Force (SANDF) member, will be cross-examined by the court.
SOUTH AFRICA – GAUTENG – 10 MAY 2022
• TSHWANE/ PRETORIA – 09 MAY 2022 (20H00) The National Education, Health and Allied Workers’ Union (NEHAWU) condemned the alleged unfair dismissal of five employees at the University of South Africa (UNISA). The employees have been dismissed with immediate effect following their precautionary suspension last month for violating the UNISA ethics code and employee disciplinary code. The university stated that this was for inciting public violence and causing malicious damage to property during award cerements. NEHAWU stated that the university did not follow the correct procedure when terminating the contracts.
• RANDBURG – 09 MAY 2022 (19H15) The seven suspects accused of killing Zimbabwean national Elvis Nyathi are expected to appear in the Randburg Magistrates Court on Thursday, 12 May 2022, for their bail application. The suspects are accused of killing Nyathi in Diepsloot during protests against crime in the area. The state argued that if the accused were released on bail, they would interfere with the case by intimidating witnesses, endangering the community, tampering with evidence, and evading trial.
• JOHANNESBURG – 09 MAY 2022 (20H40) Armed robbery reported on Claim Street in Hillbrow. One person has been shot and killed. An unknown number of suspects shot the victim and stole his belongings. Motorists are advised to use alternative routes and avoid the area. Police are on the scene.
• VANDERBIJLPARK – 09 MAY 2022 (23H50) The National Union of Metalworkers of South Africa (NUMSA) announced an expected protest at ArcelorMittal in Vanderbijlpark on 11 May 2022 at 08H00. NUMSA demands a 10% salary increase, housing allowance, 80% medical aid contribution from the employer and the scrapping of temporary employees. NUMSA stated that wage talks had been engaged under the auspices of the Metal and Engineering Industries Bargaining Council (MEIBC) since March, and no mediation has been reached.
• SANDTON – 10 MAY 2022 (08H50) The African National Congress (ANC) in the Johannesburg Region is expected to hold its 15th Regional Conference from Friday, 13 May 2022, until Sunday, 15 May 2022, at the Cedar Woods Hotel.
• JOHANNESBURG – 10 MAY 2022 (08H50) Protest reported outside the Johannesburg High Court. Anti Gender-Based Violence (GBV) activists are protesting in demand of justice for Tshegofatso Pule, who was killed by Ntuthuko Shoba. The High Court is expected to resume with the sentencing proceedings against Shoba. The demonstrators have blockaded the entrance of the court. Members of the public are advised to avoid the area and use alternative routes. Police are on the scene.
SOUTH AFRICA – KWAZULU-NATAL – 10 MAY 2022
• VERULAM – 10 MAY 2022 (07H25) UPDATE Road closure on Old Inanda Road/M27 due to ongoing protest. Motorists are advised to avoid the area. (06H40) Protest reported in Redcliffe towards Buffelsdaai. The demonstrators are protesting due to poor service delivery. The demonstrators have barricaded the road with burning tyres and debris. Motorists are advised to avoid the area and use alternative routes. Police have been dispatched.
• TONGAAT – 10 MAY 2022 (09H00) Protest reported on the R102 in the vicinity of Usave in Fairbreeze. The Qwabe community of eNkwenkwezini are marching to the Tongaat Hulett Sugar Maidstone Mill. The demonstrators are protesting due to the Makhosi Khosi Communal Trust that the Government has mismanaged, which has resulted in the community not having access to their ancestral land. Motorists are advised to avoid the area and use alternative routes. Police have been dispatched.
SOUTH AFRICA – LIMPOPO – 10 MAY 2022
• HA-LAMBANI – 09 MAY 2022 (19H20) Residents of Ha-Lambani village, outside Thohoyandou, have expressed dissatisfaction with the R17-million bridge built by the Thulamela municipality. The bridge, which was constructed two years ago, has developed cracks. Ha-Lambani village residents have raised concerns about the state of a bridge in the area. This led the municipality to stall the event to officially hand over the project to the residents. The contractor is continuing with repairs. However, motorists continue to use the bridge as there is no alternative route.
SOUTH AFRICA – MPUMALANGA – 10 MAY 2022
• WITBANK/EMALAHLENI – 10 MAY 2022 (06H20) The Witbank/Emalahleni South African Police Services (SAPS) has announced that the N12 route and R544 route between Tasbet Park and Duvha Park are open for traffic flow following protests held on Monday, 09 May 2022. Residents within the area engaged with the Management of Thungela Resources Global Shared Services and issued the management 48 hours to minimize the impact of toxic fumes caused by illegal mining activities, which has affected the Duvha Park, El Paso settlements, Tasbet Park, Reyno Ridge and Ben Fleur. Motorists are advised to remain vigilant. The situation remains volatile. Police are monitoring the area.
SOUTH AFRICA – NORTH WEST – 10 MAY 2022
• ZEERUST – 09 MAY 2022 (21H00) UPDATE Demonstrators have dispersed on the R49 outside Zeerust, heading towards Mahikeng. Motorists are advised to remain vigilant. (19H05) Protest reported on the R49 outside Zeerust heading towards Mahikeng. Demonstrators are barricading the road. Motorists are advised to use alternative routes. Police have been dispatched to the scene.
• HARTEBEESPOORT – 10 MAY 2022 (04H55) The Department of Water and Sanitation announced a road closure from the Engen garage in Damdoryn up to Snake park in and around Hartbeespoort Dam will be closed from 23 May 2022 until 26 May 2022. The road will be closed due to maintenance and clean up operation from the Department. The road is expected to be open on 27 May 2022.
• MAHIKENG – 10 MAY 2022 (06H30) Unrest expected today, 10 May 2022, Mahikeng. Residents are expected to embark on a shutdown against the high crime rate in the area due to Mapontero gang members. Motorists are advised to avoid the area and use alternative routes. Police will be deployed to monitor the area.
• KLERKSDORP – 10 MAY 2022 (06H40) Protest expected by Students of Vuselela TVET college, Jouberton Campus today, 10 May 2022. The students are expected to gather at Jouberton Libary from 08H00 and march to the campus. The demonstrators are expected to hand over a memorandum of demands and demand the removal of the Student Representative Council (SRC) Chairperson. Motorists are advised to avoid the area and use alternative routes. Police will be deployed to monitor the area.
• PHOKENG – 10 MAY 2022 (07H10) Protest reported on the R565 towards Impala Platinum Mine. The demonstrators have barricaded all roads heading to the mine with burning tyres and debris. The reason for the protest is unknown at this stage. Motorists are advised to avoid the area and use alternative routes. Police have been dispatched.
• SONOP – 10 MAY 2022 (07H25) Protest reported on Railway Street and Sonop Road. The demonstrators are protesting due to poor service delivery. The demonstrators have barricaded the road with burning and debris. Motorists are advised to avoid the area and use alternative routes. Police have been dispatched.
SOUTH AFRICA – NORTHERN CAPE – 10 MAY 2022
• KIMBERLEY – 09 MAY 2022 (19H00) The Northern Cape Police have arrested 15 suspects wanted for various crimes in Kimberley. The suspects are charged with assault, theft, housebreaking, and violating a protection order, among other offences. The suspects are expected to appear in the Kimberley Magistrate’s Court soon. This follows after a team of Roodepan Police Station Detectives led by Christopher Mashodi embarked on a wanted suspect tracing operation. The suspects have been evading court appearance dates and other violated court orders. The suspects were arrested at their respective residences in and around Roodepan.
• VIOOLSDRIFT – 09 MAY 2022 (19H30) Police have arrested a Cape Town taxi driver at the Vioolsdrift Border Post today, 09 May 2022. The taxi driver has been found with narcotics valued at R2-million hidden in the minibus taxi. The taxi driver was travelling from Namibia to South Africa. The suspect is expected to appear in court soon.
• JAN KEMPDORP – 10 MAY 2022 (08H20) Protest reported on the R506. The demonstrators have barricaded the road with burning tyres and debris. Motorists are advised to avoid the area and use alternative routes. Police have been dispatched.
SOUTH AFRICA – WESTERN CAPE – 10 MAY 2022
• CAPE TOWN – 09 MAY 2022 (20H20) The second suspect in connection with a murder case is expected to appear in the Khayelitsha Magistrates Court on Tuesday, 10 May 2022. This follows a shooting that killed five people in New Monwabisi Park, Harare, on 13 March 2022. The Provincial Organised Crime investigation team conducted a suspect tracing operation in the Eastern Cape with the assistance of Lady Frere Police and arrested the suspect in Lower Lufuta, Cala. The Provincial Organised Crime investigators are continuing their search for a third suspect involved in the shooting.
• CAPE TOWN – 09 MAY 2022 (22H10) Minister of Justice and Correctional Services Ronald Lamola is expected to host the Justice Service Delivery Imbizo on 13 May 2022 in the Delft Civic Centre, Western Cape. Lamola stated that the agenda for the meeting is to end Gender-Based Violence (GBV) in South Africa (SA).
• CAPE TOWN – 10 MAY 2022 (08H30) Train derailment reported between Maitland train station and Woltemade train station due to a veld fire that damaged fibre line resulting in a telecommunications breakdown. No injuries have been reported. Trains are expected to operate Fish Hoek and Mowbray. The service recovery process is underway.
UPCOMING EVENTS – 10 MAY 2022
• TSHWANE/ PRETORIA: Protest expected at the Union Buildings on Wednesday, 11 May 2022. The Democracy in Action (DIA) and community members are expected to march against loadshedding.
• TSHWANE/PRETORIA: Protest expected by members affiliated with the Young Nurses Indaba Trade Union (YNITU) on Thursday, 12 May 2022, at the South African Nurses Council (SANC) offices.
• SANDTON: The African National Congress (ANC) in the Johannesburg Region is expected to hold its 15th Regional Conference from Friday, 13 May 2022, until Sunday, 15 May 2022, at the Cedar Woods Hotel.
• KIMBERLEY: The Sol Plaatje Municipality announced a planned water shutdown on Thursday, 12 May 2022, until Sunday, 15 May 2022.
• DURBAN: President Cyril Ramaphosa is expected to launch an international conference at the Inkosi Albert Luthuli International Convention Centre (ICC) in Durban from 15 May 2022 until 20 May 2022.
• CAROLINA: President Cyril Ramaphosa is expected to visit the Gert Sibande District Municipality on Friday, 20 May 2022, to engage with community members during a Presidential Imbizo.
• PORT ELIZABETH/GQEBERHA: Peaceful protest expected on Saturday, 21 May 2022, at Hobie Beach from 11H00..
• HARTBEESPOORT: Road closure expected on the R104 between the Engen Petrol Station in Damdoryn and the Snake Park from Monday, 23 May 2022, until Thursday, 26 May 2022.
• JOHANNESBURG: Protest expected by the Economic Freedom Fighters (EFF) members on Wednesday, 25 May 2022, from 10H00 at the French Embassy.
• JOHANNESBURG: The Congress of South African Trade Unions (COSATU) is expected to convene a Health Committee meeting on 23 June 2022.
Website: www.willshir.com – 2022 ©️ Willshir & Associates
Willshir & Associates – Business Intelligence Program (LN)