- This event has passed.
WILLSHIR – SOUTH AFRICA – TIMELINE – 12 MAY 2022 (19H00)
SOUTH AFRICA – EASTERN CAPE – 12 MAY 2022
• GQEBERHA/PORT ELIZABETH – 12 MAY 2022 (03H35) The South African National Roads Agency has announced that the Special Maintenance road project from the R63/N10 intersection to Bedford is set to launch in Bedford and Cookhouse. The project is set to increase job opportunities for community members and Small, Medium and Micro Enterprises (SMMEs). Furthermore, the construction is set to be approximately R155 million. The announcement followed an information session with relevant stakeholders hosted by SANRAL on Tuesday, 10 May 2022. SANRAL noted that the project is expected to recycle existing pavement surfaces and base layers, replace three culverts, seal cracks and others. Roadspan Surfacing (Pty) Ltd is set to start its mobilisation period in June 2022. Reports indicate that the construction is expected to last for 18 months.
• PATENSIE – 12 MAY 2022 (08H45) Protest reported in Ramaphosa Village. Community members are expected to march to the Patensie Police Station. The demonstrators are protesting due to the lack of support by the Department of Education for schools. Motorists are advised to avoid the area and use alternative routes. Police have been dispatched.
SOUTH AFRICA – FREE STATE – 12 MAY 2022
• ZASTRON – 12 MAY 2022 (16H00) The Zastron Magistrate Court has postponed the murder case of a Zama Public Primary School learner to 25 May 2022. The social worker handed a report to the prosecutor. The prosecutor requested for the postponement of the case to discuss the report with the senior prosecutor and decide on the proceedings of the case. This follows after a Grade 6 learner killed another learner during a dispute on 05 May 2022.
SOUTH AFRICA – GAUTENG – 12 MAY 2022
• CENTURION – 12 MAY 2022 (07H50) UPDATE Demonstrations reported on Ruimte Road/ R114. Motorists are advised to avoid the area. (07H00) Protest reported on the R55 towards the entrance of Stone Ridge Country Estate. The demonstrators are protesting due to poor service delivery related to power outages. The demonstrators have barricaded the road with burning tyres and debris. Motorists are advised to avoid the area and use alternative routes. Police have been dispatched.
• SANDTON – 12 MAY 2022 (12H35) Eskom has announced that stage two of loadshedding will be implemented today, 12 May 2022, from 17H00 until 22H00 due to continued constraints on the power system. A generation unit at Lethabo Power Station has been taken offline for repairs. One generation unit each at Kusile and Tutuka Power Station has been returned to service.
• TSHWANE/PRETORIA – 12 MAY 2022 (12H50) UPDATE The YNITU members have arrived at the SANC offices. Police are on the scene. (11H15) Demonstrations reported at Union Buildings. ahead of the march to the SANC. (05H00) Protest expected by members affiliated with the Young Nurses Indaba Trade Union (YNITU) today, 12 May 2022, at the South African Nurses Council (SANC) offices. The demonstrators are expected to gather at the Union Buildings from 09H00 and march to the SANC offices. The demonstrators are expected to protest to demand permanent employment and better salaries. Motorists are advised to avoid the area and use alternative routes. Police will be deployed to monitor the area.
• VANDERBIJLPARK – 12 MAY 2022 (13H00) Members affiliated with the National Union of Metalworkers of South Africa (NUMSA) at ArcelorMittal SA are expected to return to work today, 12 May 2022, following an interim court interdict prohibiting workers at ArcelorMittal SA from striking for wage increases. This follows after NUMSA embarked on industrial action at ArcelorMittal SA’s operations in support of its demand for a 10% wage increase.
• SOWETO – 12 MAY 2022 (14H30) UPDATE Demonstrators outside the Thubelihle Secondary school have dispersed. Motorists are advised to remain vigilant. (09H30) Protest reported outside Thubelihle Secondary school. Parents and learners are protesting due to the delay of a refurbishment project at the school. The demonstrators demand all involved stakeholders in the project to provide a full report on the reason for the delays. The demonstrators have blockaded the school entrance. Members of the public are advised to avoid the area and use alternative routes. Police have been dispatched.
• TSHWANE/ PRETORIA – 12 MAY 2022 (14H45) The Public Servants Association (PSA) has informed the South African Revenue Service (SARS) of its intention to strike. The strike notice follows failed wage negotiations where the parties deadlocked and could not conclude the wage agreement for 2022/2023. SARS offered a 0% wage increase that has been rejected by labour. PSA has provided SARS with a seven-day strike notice as required by law.
• TSHWANE/ PRETORIA – 12 MAY 2022 (15H20) Impala Security has partnered with mining companies, toll route services and Police along the N4 to respond in the event of an emergency. Travellers can contact Impala’s Operations room at 014 569 0394/5 and 071 602 7683 prior to departing to confirm the status of the N4 or to report an incident. Additionally, the Bakweba emergency number can be contacted at 0800 225 9362.
• JOHANNESBURG – 12 MAY 2022 (16H15) Protest reported on Albertina Sisulu Road at the Bus Station in Mayfair. Demonstrators are barricading the road with burning tyres and debris. Motorists are advised to use alternative routes and avoid the area. Police are on the scene.
• JOHANNESBURG – 12 MAY 2022 (17H20) Activists from Blind South Africa, SECTION27 and Right2Know marched from Empire Road in Parktown to picket outside the Constitutional Court today, 12 May 2022. Demonstrators marched in support of amendments to the Copyright Act that will improve access to published works for blind and visually impaired people. The case follows a High Court order in September 2021, which found the Copyright Act of 1978 to be unconstitutional as it restricts blind or visually impaired persons from converting books into accessible formats like Braille
SOUTH AFRICA – KWAZULU-NATAL – 12 MAY 2022
• PIETERMARITZBURG – 12 MAY 2022 (08H05) Former President Jacob Zuma is expected to appear at the Pietermaritzburg High Court Tuesday, 17 May 2022. The High Court is expected to resume with Zuma’s trial. Zuma and French arms company Thales face several charges, including fraud, racketeering and money laundering, linked to the multibillion-rand Strategic Defence Procurement Packages (SDPP).
• STANGER – 12 MAY 2022 (11H50) Protest reported on Mahatma Ghandi Street outside Ilembe District Municipality. The demonstrators are protesting due to poor service delivery related to water outages. Motorists are advised to avoid the area and use alternative routes. Police have been dispatched.
SOUTH AFRICA – LIMPOPO – 12 MAY 2022
• PHALABORWA – 12 MAY 2022 (08H55) Protest reported outside Mopani TVET College. Students are protesting due to unpaid National Student Financial Aid Scheme (NSFAS) allowances. The demonstrators have barricaded the area with burning tyres and debris. Motorists are advised to avoid the area and use alternative routes. Police have been dispatched.
• MUSINA – 12 MAY 2022 (14H00) UPDATE Truck operators are advised to avoid the Musina area. The situation is volatile. The N1 is open to traffic until the China Mall. Motorists are advised to avoid the vicinity of the China Mall and Limpopo Mall. (11H00) Residents are expected to meet with the Vhembe District Municipality officials today, 12 May 2022, following a meeting that could take place on Wednesday, 11 May 2022, to address their grievances related to water interruptions. (09H10) Protest reported on the N1 in the vicinity of KhafhuTrading Enterprise. The demonstrators are protesting due to poor service delivery due to water outages. The demonstrators have barricaded the road with burning tyres and debris. Motorists are advised to avoid the area and use alternative routes. Police have been dispatched.
• MBOMBELA/ NELSPRUIT – 12 MAY 2022 (15H15) Fire reported at The Capital conference centre and hotel building next to the R104 in West Acres, Mbombela. Reports indicate that civilians are being evacuated from the building due to an ongoing electrical fire. Emergency services are on the scene. Motorists are advised to remain vigilant when travelling in the area.
SOUTH AFRICA – MPUMALANGA – 12 MAY 2022
• NELSPRUIT/MBOMBELA – 12 MAY 2022 (13H50) UPDATE DENOSA is leading the International Nurses Day rally at Church Unlimited. Motorists are advised to be vigilant. (06H15) The Democratic Nursing Organisation of South Africa (DENOSA) is expected to hold a rally in commemoration of the International Nurses Day today, 12 May 2022, at the Church Unlimited near the R40 towards Barberton.
SOUTH AFRICA – NORTH WEST – 12 MAY 2022
• LEEUDORINGSTAD – 12 MAY 2022 (00H05) The Leuudoringstad Magistrates Court has provided bail to the three suspects that allegedly defrauded Farmers of approximately R12 million. Two of the three suspects have been accused of fraud, money laundering and the contravention of the Tax Administrations Act to the value of approximately R2,3 million. This follows after farmers filed a complaint about fraudulent transactions in their accounts. The transactions have expectedly generated following instructions from Agri Trade Noordwes Proprietary (Pty) Limited (Ltd) Agent Barend Van Loggerenberg. The South African Police Service (SAPS) has set Agri Trade Noordwes Pty Ltd under investigation.
• KLERKSDORP – 12 MAY 2022 (06H30) The Member of the Executive (MEC) for Health, Madoda Sambatha, along with the Democratic Nursing Organisation of South Africa (DENOSA) members, are expected to lead the International Nurses Day celebrations today, 12 May 2022, from 09H00 at the Klerksdorp Recreation Centre.
• SWARTRUGGENS – 12 MAY 2022 (17H00) Road closure reported on the N4 between Swartruggens and Groot Marico. The road is closed due to a minibus accident. Motorists are advised to use alternative routes. Emergency services are on the scene.
SOUTH AFRICA – NORTHERN CAPE – 12 MAY 2022
• KIMBERLEY – 12 MAY 2022 (06H10) The Sol Municipality has announced a planned water interruption from Thursday, 12 May 2022, until Sunday, 15 May 2022. The water interruption is to repair the water leaks on the 965mm pipeline near gogga and behind 3SAI military base and the 600mm pipeline near the Roodepan takeoff. Water tankers will drive through in all wards to make sure all residents are serviced, and water tankers will also be made available at the following municipal service centres, Newton Reservoir, Sol Plaatje Civic Centre and the Fire Station.
• KIMBERLEY – 12 MAY 2022 (13H40) UPDATE The Congress of South African Trade Unions (COSATU) is protesting in solidarity with DENOSA. The demonstrators are marching to the Premier’s Office. Motorists are advised to be vigilant. (06H05) Protest expected by the members affiliated with the Democratic Nursing Organisation of South Africa (DENOSA) today, 12 May 2022, at Premier’s Office. The demonstrators are expected to gather at the Cenotaph World War Memorial Monument from 11H00 and march to the Premier’s office from 12H00. The demonstrators are expected to protest against budget cuts and the shortage of employees. Motorists are advised to avoid the area and use alternative routes. Police will be deployed to monitor the area.
SOUTH AFRICA – WESTERN CAPE – 12 MAY 2022
• CAPE TOWN – 12 MAY 2022 (15H00) The Minister of Transport, Fikile Mbalula, is expected to meet with Langa residents about the relocation of illegal settlements at the Central Line today, 12 May 2022. Mbalula is expected to engage with community leaders and with the residents living on the railway line. The Minister indicated that land had been identified, and he will be meeting with the Minister of Human Settlements to finalise preparations. It is expected to cost the Passenger Rail Agency of South Africa (PRASA) about R4-billion to repair and rehabilitate stations and damaged infrastructure. Meanwhile, the rail network in the Western Cape has been temporarily suspended as cable theft, and vandalism caused power outages that led to widespread disruptions.
UPCOMING EVENTS – 12 MAY 2022
• SANDTON: The African National Congress (ANC) in the Johannesburg Region is expected to hold its 15th Regional Conference from Friday, 13 May 2022, until Sunday, 15 May 2022, at the Cedar Woods Hotel.
• DUTYWA: Protest expected in Dutywa by the Rural Development Council (RDC) on Friday, 13 May 2022.
• CAPE TOWN: The Deputy Minister of Justice and Constitutional Development, Johan Jeffer, is expected to host a Justice Service Delivery Imbizo at Delft Civic Centre on Friday, 13 May 2022, from 08H00.
• CAPE TOWN: Operation Dudula is expected to launch its branch in Cape Town at Zonnebloem Parking near the Cape Peninsula University of Technology (CPUT) Cape Town Campus on Saturday, 14 May 2022, from 10H00.
• DURBAN: President Cyril Ramaphosa is expected to launch an international conference at the Inkosi Albert Luthuli International Convention Centre (ICC) in Durban from 15 May 2022 until 20 May 2022.
• CAROLINA: President Cyril Ramaphosa is expected to visit the Gert Sibande District Municipality on Friday, 20 May 2022, to engage with community members during a Presidential Imbizo.
• PORT ELIZABETH/GQEBERHA: Peaceful protest expected on Saturday, 21 May 2022, at Hobie Beach from 11H00.
• HARTBEESPOORT: Road closure expected on the R104 between the Engen Petrol Station in Damdoryn and the Snake Park from Monday, 23 May 2022, until Thursday, 26 May 2022.
• JOHANNESBURG: Protest expected by the Economic Freedom Fighters (EFF) members on Wednesday, 25 May 2022, from 10H00 at the French Embassy.
• JOHANNESBURG: The Congress of South African Trade Unions (COSATU) is expected to convene a Health Committee meeting on 23 June 2022.
Website: www.willshir.com – 2022 ©️ Willshir & Associates
Willshir & Associates – Business Intelligence Program (JK)