- This event has passed.
WILLSHIR – SOUTH AFRICA – TIMELINE – 17 MAY 2022 (19H00)
SOUTH AFRICA – EASTERN CAPE – 17 MAY 2022
• EAST LONDON – 17 MAY 2022 (08H20) The Buffalo City Metropolitan Municipality has announced a planned water outage from today, 17 May 2022, until Thursday, 19 May 2022, from 08H00 until 17H00 to improve service infrastructure. The following areas will be affected, the Mdantsane MT Ruth area, including Dyani Road, Mbana road, Ndlazi road, Sileku road, and Saule Drive. The Duncan Village areas around C-Section include Griffith Mxenge Avenue, Douglas Smith Highway and Phoenix Street, Reeston Zone and Reeston North, Mdantsane access road, and Allison Street.
SOUTH AFRICA – FREE STATE – 17 MAY 2022
• THEUNISSEN – 17 MAY 2022 (15H20) The African National Congress Youth League (ANCYL) is calling for the dismissal of Masilonyana Municipality Mayor Dimakatso Modise. The Lejweleputswa ANC Youth League Regional Chairperson, Mokgethi Setlhalefo, stated that Modise should resign as per the ANC’s 54th 2017 Nasrec National Conference. Modise is facing charges of inciting violence in 2021 and is released on R2,000 bail after appearing in the Theunissen Magistrate’s Court on Monday, 16 May 2022. The 54th National Conference of the ANC resolution states that when a member of the ANC occupying a position of leadership is charged with a serious offence in terms of the constitution, they should resign.
SOUTH AFRICA – GAUTENG – 17 MAY 2022
• CENTURION – 17 MAY 2022 (12H10) Protest reported at the Netcare Unitas Hospital. The demonstrators are protesting against the admission of King Mswati’s wife, Phindile Nkambule, and her child to the hospital. The demonstrators have blockaded the area. Motorists are advised to avoid the area and use alternative routes. Police have been dispatched.
• CENTURION – 17 MAY 2022 (12H10) UPDATE Demonstrations reported on Sterling Road in the vicinity of NTT Global Data Centres EMEA. (08H30) Protest reported on Agrinet on Sterling Road. The demonstrators are protesting due to salary disputes. The demonstrators have barricaded with rocks and debris. Motorists are advised to avoid the area and use alternative routes. Police are on the scene.
• TSHWANE/PRETORIA – 17 MAY 2022 (13H00) The Passenger Rail Agency of South Africa (PRASA) has announced three of its Metrorail train service lines in Gauteng will be closed. The planned line closure will allow for the reconstruction work of the traction substations and Overhead Traction Equipment (OHTE) to continue uninterrupted and safely. The following line will be construction sites Pienaarspoort to Pretoria from Monday, 23 May 2022 until August 2022 and Naledi to Johannesburg from Monday, 23 May 2022 until September 2022 and the Leralla to Elandsfontein line from Monday, 30 May 2022 until August 2022.
• ALBERTON – 17 MAY 2022 (13H50) Operation Dudula is expected to launch a branch in Katlehong at the Botsotso Ground on Saturday, 04 June 2022, from 10H00. Motorists are advised to be vigilant. Police will be monitoring the situation. Historically, Operation Dudula is known to take action against illegal foreign nationals in the county.
• SOWETO – 17 MAY 2022 (15H00) Police are investigating a case of murder and attempted murder subsequent to a shooting incident at Soweto Highway/ M70 today, 17 May 2022. A taxi operator has been fatally shot and a passenger injured. No suspects have been arrested, and the circumstances surrounding the incident are unknown at this stage as the investigation continues.
• TSHWANE/ PRETORIA – 17 MAY 2022 (15H30) Protest reported on Nelson Mandela Drive/ M3 near the Fountains Circle. Demonstrators are protesting due to the alleged unfair dismissal of five employees at the University of South Africa (UNISA). The employees have been dismissed after instigating protest actions at graduation ceremonies. Motorists are advised to use alternative routes. Police have been dispatched to the scene.
• JOHANNESBURG – 17 MAY 2022 (16H10) UPDATE NEHAWU and the Public Service Association of South Africa have issued a strike notice to the South African Revenue Services SARS. NEHAWU is demanding that salaries be adjusted by the 2021 consumer price index (CPI) of 4.5% and a 7% increase across the board. NEHAWU’s General Secretary Zola Saphetha stated that the union is planning to strike. As part of the buildup programme, the union will conduct pickets during lunchtime on 23 May and 24 May 2022 and organise marches in the Western Cape to SARS P16 offices, in Gauteng to the SRAS Head Office and the National Treasury on the 26 May 2022. (14H40) NEHAWU is currently briefing the media on the planned SARS strike. (06H05) The National Education, Health and Allied Workers’ Union (NEHAWU) is expected to hold a briefing today, 17 May 2022, from 14H00 at the Thaba Eco Hotel, Klipriviersberg Nature Reserve. NEHAWU will be discussing details of a planned strike at the South African Revenue Service (SARS).
SOUTH AFRICA – KWAZULU-NATAL – 17 MAY 2022
• LOUWSBURG – 17 MAY 2022 (06H10) Protest reported on the R69 in the vicinity of Hlomohlomo. The demonstrators are protesting due to poor service delivery. The demonstrators have barricaded the road with burning tyres and debris. Motorists are advised to avoid the area. Police have been dispatched.
• PIETERMARITZBURG – 17 MAY 2022 (11H10) UPDATE The corruption trial of Zuma and the French arms company Thales has been postponed to Monday, 01 August 2022, pending Zuma’s reconsideration application. (06H00) Former President Jacob Zuma is expected to appear at the Pietermaritzburg High Court Tuesday, 17 May 2022. The High Court is expected to resume with Zuma’s trial. Zuma and French arms company Thales face several charges, including fraud, racketeering and money laundering, linked to the multibillion-rand Strategic Defence Procurement Packages (SDPP).
• DURBAN – 17 MAY 2022 (17H00) The African National Congress (ANC) KwaZulu-Natal deployment committee is expected to meet at 19H00 today, 17 May 2022. The committee is expected to discuss the replacement of outgoing Department of Cooperative Governance and Traditional Affairs (COGTA) Member of Executive Council (MEC), Sipho Hlomuka, who has been appointed a Deputy Director-General (DDG) at COGTA national. Several regions have put forward their candidates.
SOUTH AFRICA – LIMPOPO – 17 MAY 2022
• MOKOPANE/ POTGIETERSRUS – 17 MAY 2022 (10H15) Protest reported outside the Mokopane Magistrate’s Court. Two groups of demonstrators are protesting. One group is protesting to demand the release of four suspects, including a municipality official who is allegedly involved in the 2019 murder of African National Congress ANC councillors Vaaltyn Kekana and Ralph Kanyane, and the other group demands the Court to deny the suspects bail. The suspects are expected to appear at the Court for a former bail application. Motorists are advised to avoid the area and use alternative routes. Police are on the scene.
• THOHOYANDOU – 17 MAY 2022 (11H00) The Economic Freedom Fighter (EFF), Commander in Chief (CIC), Julius Malema, is expected to deliver a keynote address at the Youth Day commemoration on Thursday, 16 June 2022, from 11H00 at the Makwarela Stadium.
• POLOKWANE/ PIETERSBURG – 17 MAY 2022 (14H15) The Limpopo High Court has postponed the murder case of Precious Magabane to 27 June 2022. The two accused are facing charges of murder, robbery with aggravating circumstances, defeating the course of justice, unlawful possession of a firearm, unlawful possession of ammunition and illegal immigration. The case has been postponed for one of the accused to secure a defence lawyer. Magabane, a Grade 3 teacher at Kabishi Primary School in Mashamothane, was reported missing on 23 December 2018 and the two accused were arrested in February 2019 after details of their alleged involvement in her disappearance emerged.
SOUTH AFRICA – MPUMALANGA – 17 MAY 2022
• MARITE – 17 MAY 2022 (08H50) UPDATE Road closure reported on the R40 at Marite due to ongoing protest. Motorists are advised to avoid the area. (07H00) Protest reported on the R40 between Bushbuckridge and Hazyview at Marite Marongwane. Two trucks have been set alight by the demonstrators. The demonstrators are protesting due to poor service delivery. Motorists are advised to avoid the area and use alternative routes. Police have been dispatched.
SOUTH AFRICA – NORTH WEST – 17 MAY 2022
• MAHIKENG – 17 MAY 2022 (07H20) The Member of the Executive (MEC) for Health, Sambatha Madoda, is expected to deliver the Department’s Budget Vote and Policy Speech for 2022/23 today, 17 May 2022, from 09H00 until 13H00 at the North West Provincial Legislature.
• RUSTENBURG – 17 MAY 2022 (16H40) Protest reported on Cuckoo Avenue near Stones Restaurant in Waterfall Park. Taxi operators are barricading the road. Taxi associations are protesting due to road disputes. Motorists are advised to use alternative routes. Police have been dispatched to the scene.
SOUTH AFRICA – NORTHERN CAPE – 17 MAY 2022
• KIMBERLEY – 17 MAY 2022 (16H30) The National Police Commissioner Fannie Masemola confirmed the lack of resources for Police trainees at a military base in Kimberley. This follows after President Cyril Ramaphosa announced that 12,000 additional Police members would be recruited and trained. To that effect, the Police recruited and trained 10,000 Police members simultaneously. However, the Police academies can only accommodate 7,000 Police trainees. This resulted in a lack of food, beds and hot water. Masemola stated that the Police Department has since addressed the matter.
SOUTH AFRICA – WESTERN CAPE – 17 MAY 2022
• CAPE TOWN – 17 MAY 2022 (08H00) The City’s Water and Sanitation Directorate has announced a planned water outage at the Voelvlei bulk water pipeline from 18H00 on Thursday, 19 May 2022, until Friday, 20 May 2022 at 18H00. The planned water outage will allow the replacement of the current T-connection on the air valve, which is restrictive, with a new T-connection linked to the 900mm diameter pipeline of the newly constructed Contermanskloof Reservoir to the Melkbosstrand Reservoir. The following areas are expected to be affected, Durbanville, Fisantekraal, Klipheuwel and Philadelphia.
• CAPE TOWN – 17 MAY 2022 (09H40) UPDATE Police have dispersed demonstrations. The road has been reopened for traffic flow. Motorists are advised to be vigilant. (09H10) Protest reported outside Heathfield High School on Consta Road. Learners are protesting in support of the Principal of the school. The demonstrators are against the removal of the Principal. The demonstrators have obstructed the road. Motorists are advised to avoid the area. Motorists are advised to avoid the area and use alternative routes. Police have been dispatched.
• STELLENBOSCH – 17 MAY 2022 (15H30) Stellenbosch University student Babalo Ndwayana is expected to lay criminal charges against law student Theuns Du Toit today, 17 May 2022. This follows after a racially insensitive incident at the Huis Marais residence. Ndwayana stated that he wants Du Toit to be expelled from the university.
UPCOMING EVENTS – 17 MAY 2022
• CAROLINA: President Cyril Ramaphosa is expected to visit the Gert Sibande District Municipality on Friday, 20 May 2022, to engage with community members during a Presidential Imbizo.
• PORT ELIZABETH/GQEBERHA: Peaceful protest expected on Saturday, 21 May 2022, at Hobie Beach from 11H00.
• HARTBEESPOORT: Road closure expected on the R104 between the Engen Petrol Station in Damdoryn and the Snake Park from Monday, 23 May 2022, until Thursday, 26 May 2022.
• JOHANNESBURG: Protest expected by the Economic Freedom Fighters (EFF) members on Wednesday, 25 May 2022, from 10H00 at the French Embassy.
• ALBERTON: Operation Dudula is expected to launch a branch in Katlehong at the Botsotso Ground on Saturday, 04 June 2022, from 10H00.
• JOHANNESBURG: The Congress of South African Trade Unions (COSATU) is expected to convene a Health Committee meeting on 23 June 2022.
Website: www.willshir.com – 2022 ©️ Willshir & Associates
Willshir & Associates – Business Intelligence Program (JK)