- This event has passed.
WILLSHIR – SOUTH AFRICA – TIMELINE – 19 MAY 2022 (10H00)
SOUTH AFRICA – EASTERN CAPE – 19 MAY 2022
- EAST LONDON – 18 MAY 2022 (19H45) Police have launched a search operation for two suspects who fatally shot one person and injured six others at the Mdantsane Highway taxi rank on Tuesday afternoon, 17 May 2022. The suspects opened fire on a motor vehicle with two occupants and five other people in the vicinity. No arrest has been made at this stage; the circumstances surrounding the incident are currently under investigation.
- MTHATHA – 19 MAY 2022 (07H00) Protest reported on the R61 between Mthatha and Ngcobo in the vicinity of Esigubhudwini. The demonstrators are protesting due to poor service delivery. The demonstrators have barricaded the road with burning tyres and debris. Motorists are advised to avoid the area and use alternative routes. Police have been dispatched.
SOUTH AFRICA – FREE STATE – 19 MAY 2022
- BLOEMFONTEIN – 18 MAY 2022 (20H00) Military Veterans have marched to the Free State Premier’s office in Bloemfontein today, 18 May 2022. The Veterans have given the Government seven days to respond to their memorandum of demands. The Veterans are demanding work opportunities and access to health care services, among others. The Veterans accused the Government of failing to fulfil its duty of implementing the Military Veterans Act.
- BLOEMFONTEIN – 18 MAY 2022 (21H20) The Mangaung Metro Municipality has advised residents in Bloemfontein’s southern areas to expect water supply interruptions from today, 18 May 2022, until Friday, 20 May 2022. The service disruptions are necessary to allow maintenance works on the Uitkyk Brandkop trajectory. Municipal Spokesperson Qondile Khedama has stated that areas expected to be affected include Pellissier, Fleurdal, Lourier Park, Fauna, parts of Universitas, Wepener and Dewetsdorp. Khedama has noted that relevant updates will be issued as the situation progresses.
- BLOEMFONTEIN – 19 MAY 2022 (02H10) African National Congress (ANC) Manguang regional members have announced plans to initiate legal action against the ANC’s Free State Interim Provincial Committee (IPC). The ANC group has also denied allegations that members are associated with the organisation’s suspended Secretary-General, Ace Magashule. This follows as the group of members are calling on the party to address their demands regarding the removal of the IPC, led by Magashule’s political opponent, Mxolisi Dukwana. The members recently staged a protest to deliver a Memorandum of Demands (MoD) to provincial authorities, alleging that the IPC has failed to carry out its duties since its appointment in 2021. However, the province’s leadership has since failed to respond to the MoD. Therefore, the ANC members have noted plans to initiate legal action for the removal of the Committee independently.
- PHUTHADITJHABA – 19 MAY 2022 (08H10) The Phuthaditjhaba Magistrate’s Court is expected to hear the bail application of nine students involved in the unrest at the University of the Free State (UFS’) Qwaqwa Campus today, 19 May 2022. This follows their arrest on Tuesday, 17 May 2022, during protests which started on Sunday, 15 May 2022, at the Qwaqwa campus. The nine protestors were part of a group that threw stones at police vehicles and other motorists. A
SOUTH AFRICA – GAUTENG – 19 MAY 2022
- JOHANNESBURG – 18 MAY 2022 (19H20) Former Johannesburg Mayor Mpho Moerane has passed away. Moerane had been in the Netcare Milpark Hospital for a week after he was injured in a motor vehicle accident on Monday, 09 May 2022. Funeral arrangements will be announced soon.
- TSHWANE/ PRETORIA – 18 MAY 2022 (21H00) Parliament has announced that it expects President Cyril Ramaphosa to submit all outstanding state capture reports, including the implementation plan, before 15 October 2022. This follows Parliament’s previous announcement stating that the reports and implementation plan are expected to be completed and published by 31 August 2022. However, this has been delayed since the Chairperson of the Commission’s recent extension had been granted until 15 June 2022 for submission of the final report. Therefore, the President’s submission is now due to Parliament four months after receipt of the final report.
- VANDERBIJLPARK – 19 MAY 2022 (08H00) Protest reported at the intersection of R57 and Delfos Boulevard. Demonstrators have started gathering ahead of a planned protest. Motorists are advised to avoid the area and use alternative routes. Police have been dispatched.
- MIDRAND – 19 MAY 2022 (09H15) President Cyril Ramaphosa is expected to address the Black Business Council Summit at the Gallagher Convention Centre today, 19 May 2022, from 19H00. The Black Business Council Summit is expected to be convened under the theme, Creating Jobs and Growing the Economy Through Supporting Localisation, Industrialisation, SMMEs, Black-Owned, Women-Owned and Youth-Owned Businesses. The Summit will reflect on the South African Economic Reconstruction and Recovery Plan and will feature plenary sessions where Ministers in the Cabinet will participate in thematic discussions on the importance of human settlements to economic transformation, the business of arts and culture, and skills development and the Fourth Industrial Revolution.
SOUTH AFRICA – KWAZULU-NATAL – 19 MAY 2022
- DURBAN – 19 MAY 2022 (06H05) Peaceful protest expected by members of the Malvern community in Durban from 09H00 today, 19 May 2022. Demonstrators are expected to conduct a march from the Burlington Informal Settlement to the Queensmead Industrial Area at 09H00. A Memorandum of Demands is expected to be delivered to the business sector regarding employment for residents from the Burlington community. Malvern Community Police Forum officers and other law enforcement authorities are aware of the planned march. Motorists are advised of possible ground travel disruptions during the demonstration.
SOUTH AFRICA – LIMPOPO – 19 MAY 2022
- MOKOPANE/ POTGIETERSRUS – 18 MAY 2022 (19H00) Protest expected at the Mokopane Magistrate Court on Thursday, 19 May 2022, from 08H30. Demonstrators will gather at the Mokopane Bus rank, Translux express, on Thabo Mbeki Drive and march to the court. Community members are expected to demand justice for African Nationa Congress (ANC) councillors Vaaltyn Kekana and Ralph Kanyane, who were murdered. Motorists are advised to be vigilant during the march. Police will be dispatched to the scene.
- PHALABORWA – 19 MAY 2022 (06H50) The Ba-Phalaborwa Local Municipality has announced that the supply of water has been restored after Lepelle Northern Water lifted water restrictions imposed on Mopani District Municipality. The water shutdown led to communities in Namakgale, Lulekani, and Phalaborwa town being without water for close to two weeks due to the failure of the District Municipality to make payments on its overdue account with the water board. The a-Phalaborwa Municipality Mayor, Merriam Malatji, stated that the process of pumping water to fill up the reservoirs is underway, and full water supply is expected today, 19 May 2022 or Friday, 20 May 2022.
SOUTH AFRICA – MPUMALANGA – 19 MAY 2022
- SECUNDA – 18 MAY 2022 (21H00) The Member of Executive Council (MEC) for Health, Sasekani Manzini, calls for more investigations into the theft of medicine in health facilities. Manzini stated that criminal activities could occur in other facilities besides Embalenhle CHC and Langverwact clinic. This follows after the arrest of a security officer based in Langverwact clinic, who allegedly stole medicine and medical supplies in two health facilities at Embalenhle in Secunda.
SOUTH AFRICA – NORTH WEST – 19 MAY 2022
- VENTERSDORP – 19 MAY 2022 (06H05) UPDATE Police have dispersed demonstrations. The N14 has been reopened for traffic flow. The situation remains volatile. Motorists are advised to be vigilant. Police are monitoring the area. (21H40) Demonstrators are burning tyres and debris on the N14 approximately 500 metres (m) from the Ventersdorp/Coligny intersection. Motorists are advised to use alternative routes. (15H50) Road closure reported at the N14 intersection in Ventersdorp. The road is closed due to an ongoing protest. Motorists are advised to use alternative routes. (14H00) Peaceful protest reported at the JB Mark Municipality in Ventersdorp. The Ventersdorp Anti-Amalgamation Steering Committee is expected to hand over a memorandum of demands to the Municipal Management. The demonstrators are calling for the demerging of Ventersdorp and the Potchefstroom municipality, previously named Tlokwe Municipality. Motorists are advised to be vigilant. Police are on the scene.
- MOOINOOI – 19 MAY 2022 (09H30) UPDATE Road closure reported on the N4 between Majakaneng and Bapong. Motorists are advised to use the R104 s an alternative route. (09H20) The demonstrators have started marching on the R556 towards the N4. Motorists are advised to be vigilant. (07H50) Demonstrators have started gathering at Majakaneng taxi rank ahead of the planned motorcade. (06H00) Protest expected by the members of the N4 Cluster Movement today, 19 May 2022, from 06H30 until 17H00. The demonstrators are expected to march in a motorcade on the N4 between Majakaneng and Mooinooi. The demonstrators are expected to protest against labour and employment matters between the movement and Sibanye Stillwater. Motorists are advised to avoid the area and use alternative routes. Police will be deployed to monitor the area.
SOUTH AFRICA – NORTHERN CAPE – 19 MAY 2022
- KIMBERLEY – 18 MAY 2022 (20H50) Police have arrested seven suspects in the Roodepan area today, 18 May 2022. Police Spokesperson, Sergio Kock, stated that the suspects were arrested on charges of robbery, contravention of a court order, malicious damage to property and assault with intent to cause bodily harm. The Roodepan detectives embarked on a suspect-tracing operation during the early hours of today, where the suspects were arrested at their residences in Roodepan and surrounding areas. The suspects are expected to appear in the Kimberley Magistrate’s Court.
SOUTH AFRICA – WESTERN CAPE – 19 MAY 2022
- CAPE TOWN – 18 MAY 2022 (19H10) Protest reported on Baden Powel Drive near Monwabisi Resort in Khayelitsha. Demonstrators are barricading the road. Motorists are advised to use alternative routes. Police have been dispatched to the scene.
UPCOMING EVENTS – 19 MAY 2022
- CAROLINA: President Cyril Ramaphosa is expected to visit the Gert Sibande District Municipality on Friday, 20 May 2022, to engage with community members during a Presidential Imbizo.
- PORT ELIZABETH/GQEBERHA: Peaceful protest expected on Saturday, 21 May 2022, at Hobie Beach from 11H00.
- CAPE TOWN: The City of Cape Town has announced that an Ordinary Meeting of the Council of the Cape Town is scheduled to be held at 10H00 on Thursday, 26 May 2022, in the Podium Block, Civic Centre, Cape Town.
- HARTBEESPOORT: Road closure expected on the R104 between the Engen Petrol Station in Damdoryn and the Snake Park from Monday, 23 May 2022, until Thursday, 26 May 2022.
- JOHANNESBURG: Protest expected by the Economic Freedom Fighters (EFF) members on Wednesday, 25 May 2022, from 10H00 at the French Embassy.
- ALBERTON: Operation Dudula is expected to launch a branch in Katlehong at the Botsotso Ground on Saturday, 04 June 2022, from 10H00.
- JOHANNESBURG: The Congress of South African Trade Unions (COSATU) is expected to convene a Health Committee meeting on 23 June 2022.
Website: www.willshir.com – 2022 ©️ Willshir & Associates
Willshir & Associates – Business Intelligence Program (LN)