- This event has passed.
WILLSHIR – SOUTH AFRICA – TIMELINE – 23 FEB 2022 (10H30)
SOUTH AFRICA – EASTERN CAPE – 23 FEB 2022
- GQEBERHA/ PORT ELIZABETH – 22 FEB 2022 (21H30) Eastern Cape Police have confirmed the fatal shootings of two Fidelity Security Services officers during a shooting incident at Shoprite Daku, Magaleni, Gqeberha. The two officers sustained fatal injuries during an exchange of fire with unidentified armed suspects while escorting a Simba Deliver truck. The armed suspects reportedly confiscated the officers’ firearms before fleeing the scene. Police have launched an investigation into the incident.
- GQEBERHA/ PORT ELIZABETH – 22 FEB 2022 (22H10) The Transnet National Ports Authority (TNPA) has announced the appointment of Pamela Yoyo as the new Port Manager for Nelson Mandela Bay’s ports with effect from 1 March 2022. Corporate Affairs and External Relations Executive Manager Ayanda Mantshongo has stated that Yoyo is expected to manage the ports of Ngqura and Port Elizabeth as a single port complex with centralised business support services. Yoyo’s appointment concludes the recruitment process of all TNPA Port Managers in all eight of SA’s commercial and sea ports.
- IDUTYWA – 23 FEB 2022 (07H45) Protest reported on the R408 Idutywa towards Ngcobo near Hlobo turn off. Demonstrators are barricading the road with burning tyres and debris. Community members are protesting due to poor service delivery. Motorists are advised to use alternative routes. Police are on the scene.
SOUTH AFRICA – FREE STATE – 23 FEB 2022
- WELKOM – 22 FEB 2022 (23H40) Free State Police have issued a warning of possible hijacking incidents in the Free State’s Goldfields area. This follows after a motorist recently sustained severe gunshot injuries during a hijacking incident at the first traffic roundabout in Craib Avenue in Riebeeckstad. Provincial Police have confirmed that the motorist is being treated at a hospital in Welkom and that the incident is under investigation.
SOUTH AFRICA – GAUTENG – 23 FEB 2022
- DONKERHOEK – 22 FEB 2022 (21H10) Spiking incident reported on the R104 approaching the R515 Cullinan turnoff in the vicinity of Donkerhoek, Gauteng. The Cullinan Community Policing Forum (CPF) has issued a statement warning motorists to use alternative routes, such as the N4, during peak spiking hours and remain vigilant for objects on the roadway. This follows after a motorist had reportedly been transported to a hospital after sustaining gunshot injuries during a spiking incident after 20H00 on Tuesday, 22 February 2022. Cullinan CPF has stated that all necessary emergency response personnel are currently on the scene.
- KEMPTON PARK – 22 FEB 2022 (22H40) Kanana informal settlement community members in Tembisa have raised concerns regarding the Government and City Power’s alleged failure to address urgent services delivery related issues. This follows after the power utility launched an operation to remove illegal electricity connections in the area. The operation forms part of the City’s revenue enhancement programme aimed at recovering lost earnings. The residents have called on the Government to urgently address the poor service delivery in the community.
- JOHANNESBURG – 23 FEB 2022 (10H20) Reports received of a protest at Rosherville Rotek Industries on Lower Germiston Road in Rosherville. Currently, no confirmed protests are taking place according to the businesses and security companies in the area. Will keep monitoring for changes. Motorists are advised to be vigilant.
- TSHWANE/ PRETORIA – 23 FEB 2022 (10H20) Nationwide protest expected by the All Truck Drivers Foundation and Allied South Africans (ADTFASA) on Sunday, 27 February 2022. Truck operators are demanding that no foreign nationals be registered at the National Bargaining Council for the Road Freight and Logistics Industry (NBCRFLI) and a 15% wage increase, amongst others. Motorists are advised to be vigilant during the protest.
SOUTH AFRICA – KWAZULU-NATAL – 23 FEB 2022
- DURBAN – 22 FEB 2022 (20H50) The Public Protector, Busiswe Mkhwebane and the Deputy Public Protector, Kholeka Gcaleka, are expected to meet with the Provincial House of Traditional Leaders on Wednesday, 23 February 2022, at the Garden Court. Mkhwebane and Gcaleka are also expected to conduct an inspection in loco at service delivery problem areas in KwaXimba, Ntshaga, as part of the nationwide Stakeholder roadshow. The Public Protector seeks to strengthen ties and foster collaborations and cooperation with organs of state, including the provincial legislature, government departments, municipalities and traditional authorities, to promote quality service delivery and good governance in state affairs.
- PORT ALFRED – 23 FEB 2022 (07H50) Road closure reported on the R72 in Port Alfred. The road is closed due to a cement container obstructing the roadway. Motorists are advised to use alternative routes. Recovery is in progress.
- PHOENIX – 23 FEB 2022 (10H30) Stone-throwing reported on Viewhaven Drive at the Woodview Secondary School in Phoenix. Motorists are advised to use alternative routes. Police are on the scene.
SOUTH AFRICA – LIMPOPO – 23 FEB 2022
- POLOKWANE/ PIETERSBURG – 23 FEB 2022 (07H40) The Saviour Association of School Governing Bodies (SASGB) in Limpopo is calling for an increased budget allocation for the school infrastructure grant to provide a conducive environment for learners. This is ahead of Finance Minister Enoch Godongwana’s budget speech today, 23 February 2022. SASGB Limpopo Chairperson, Caiphus Moshutla stated that many schools in the province have infrastructural challenges that should be addressed urgently.
SOUTH AFRICA – MPUMALANGA – 23 FEB 2022
- PILGRIMSREST – 23 FEB 2022 (06H10) Protest reported on the R533 in Pilgrimsrest. Demonstrators are barricading the roads with burning tyres and debris. Previously, community members have been protesting due to poor service delivery. Motorists are advised to avoid travelling to Lydenburg and Graskop from Pilgrimsrest. Police are on the scene.
- ELANDSHOEK – 23 FEB 2022 (06H30) Road closure expected on the N4 between Elandshoek and the Montrose Falls intersection at 14H00 today, 23 February 2022. The road will be closed for maintenance. Motorists are advised to use alternative routes.
- KILDARE – 23 FEB 2022 (07H20) Parents have been protesting at Bunny Khosa High School in Ximhungwe due to the learners’ poor academic performance. The parents have been barricading the school gates, blocking the teachers and learners from accessing the building. The parents stated that this is since the Department of Education announced the school will only focus on mathematics, science and technology from grades 10 to 12. The protest resulted in 600 learners missing a week of class time
SOUTH AFRICA – NORTH WEST – 23 FEB 2022
- KLERKSDORP – 22 FEB 2022 (20H20) Protest reported at Matlosana Gardens opposite Matlosana Mall on the N12. The demonstrators are protesting against their landlord for claiming excessive charges on water and not receiving services included in rent. The demonstrators demand the ward councillor to assist in their grievances. The demonstrators have barricaded the area with burning tyres and debris. Members of the public are advised to avoid the area and use alternative routes. Police have been dispatched.
- MAHIKENG – 22 FEB 2022 (20H25) UPDATE Road closure reported on the R49 towards Zeerust due to a service delivery protest. Motorists are advised to avoid the area. (20H15) Protest reported on the intersection of the R503 and Zeerust Road. Previous demonstrations have been due to poor service delivery. The demonstrators have barricaded the road with burning tyres and debris. Motorists are advised to avoid the area and use alternative routes. Police have been dispatched.
- MAHIKENG – 23 FEB 2022 (07H00) North West Premier Bushy Maapse has allocated R11-million to an agriculture development fund to train 120 unemployed graduates this 2022/ 2023 financial year. Maapse stated that agriculture has the potential to create jobs and alleviate property. The Department of Agriculture and Rural Development will be taking forward its crop massification programme and will also be finalising the irrigation plan for the province, which will include optimising effective use of the Taung, Disaneng, Molatedi and Hartbeespoort irrigation schemes.
SOUTH AFRICA – NORTHERN CAPE – 23 FEB 2022
- KIMBERLEY – 22 FEB 2022 (19H30) Premier Zamani Saul and the Members of the Executive Council (MECs) have launched the Provincial Growth and Investment Council (PGIC). The council aims to strategically attract investors and other actors to grow the economy of the Province, in turn addressing solutions to challenges that the people in Province are experiencing, such as addressing poverty, inequality, and unemployment. The council is a key component of the new Integrated Governance, Coordination and Service Delivery Model, which emanates from the Provincial Growth and Development Plan (vision 2040), a 20-year plan striving for a Modern, Growing and Successful Province. The council will be made up of four workstreams which include Economic Transformation, Growth and Development, Social Equity and Human Welfare, Environmental Sustainability and Resilience, effective and Efficient Governance, and elect an executive team to ensure that the work of the Growth and Investment Council is effectively coordinated.
SOUTH AFRICA – WESTERN CAPE – 23 FEB 2022
- CAPE TOWN – 22 FEB 2022 (20H30) UPDATE City of Cape Town Fire and Rescue Services Spokesperson Jermaine Carelse has stated that 70 firefighters and 14 firefighting appliances are currently on the scene. Helicopters have been requested to water bomb the area. (16H20) Bush fire reported at Noordhoek Wetlands in the vicinity of Lake Michelle Estate. Motorists are advised to avoid the area and use alternative routes. The City of Cape Town’s Fire and Rescue Service is currently on the scene, alongside the NCC Wildfire Services, as they attempt to stop the flames from spreading.
- CAPE TOWN – 22 FEB 2022 (22H45) UPDATE The Cape Winelands Municipality’s Fire Services has confirmed that the bush fire in the vicinity of the Klapmuts area has been extinguished. All roads in the area have been reopened to allow the regular movement of traffic. Authorities are expected to continue monitoring the area for possible flare-ups. (18H20) Bush fire reported in the vicinity of the N1 approaching Stellenbosch from Klapmuts. Motorists are advised of dense smoke impeding vision on the roadway. Old Paarl Road remains closed to traffic. Authorities are responding to the incident.
- CAPE TOWN – 23 FEB 2022 (06H00) Finance Minister Enoch Godongwana is expected to deliver the inaugural National Budget Speech today, 23 February 2022 at 14H00.
- CAPE TOWN – 23 FEB 2022 (06H10) Protest expected by the Economic Freedom Fighters (EFF) at the Parliament Building today, 23 February 2022, from 10H00. The EFF will gather at the open space near the Cape Peninsula University of Technology (CPUT) District 6 Campus before marching to the Parliament Building ahead of Finance Minister Enoch Godongwana’s budget speech. Demonstrators demand the end of the International Monetary Fund and World Bank Loans. Motorists are advised to be vigilant during the protest. Police will be dispatched to the scene.
- CAPE TOWN – 23 FEB 2022 (06H20) Stone-throwing reported on the R300 Delft/ West Bank area. Motorists are advised to be vigilant. Police have been dispatched to the scene.
- CAPE TOWN – 23 FEB 2022 (10H00) UPDATE Members affiliated with the South African Municipal Workers Union (SAMWU) is gathering in Lange ahead of the 2022 Budget Speech. SAMWU will be protesting for solutions to the high unemployment rate. Motorists are advised to be vigilant. (06H05) Protest expected by the members affiliated with the South African Federation of Trade Unions (SAFTU) today, 23 February 2022, at the City Hall ahead of the Minister of Finance, Enoch Godongwana budget speech. The SAFTU members are expected to protest against budget cuts, wage cuts, job losses and unemployment. Motorists are advised to avoid the area and use alternative routes. Police are aware of the protest.
UPCOMING EVENTS – 23 FEB 2022
- CAPE TOWN: Protest expected by the members of the Green Connection on Thursday, 24 February 2022, at the Cape Town High Court from 09H00.
- UPINGTON: Northern Cape Premier Zamani Saul is expected to deliver the State of the Province Address (SOPA) 2022 at the Mxolisi Dicky Jacobs Stadium in Upington on Thursday, 24 February 2022.
- JOHANNESBURG: Protest expected by members of the South African National Civic Organisation (SANCO) on Thursday, 24 February at the Wits University from 09H00.
- POTCHEFSTROOM: Peaceful protest expected at Cachet Park in Potchefstroom by North West University (NWU) students on Friday, 25 February 2022.
- JOHANNESBURG: Peaceful protest expected by the members of the Congress of Muslim Ummah movement on Friday, 25 February 2022, at the Consulate General Of India from 14H00.
- TSHWANE/ PRETORIA: Nationwide protest expected by the All Truck Drivers Foundation and Allied South Africans (ADTFASA) on Sunday, 27 February 2022.
- JOHANNESBURG: South African Airways (SAA) announced that it will resume flights to Durban with three daily return flights from 04 March 2022.
- MANKWENG: Protest expected at the University of Limpopo, Turfloop Campus on 04 March 2022 at 10H00.
- SOWETO: Peaceful protest expected at the Orlando Stadium from 11H00 on 05 March 2022.
- JOHANNESBURG: Peaceful protest expected by members of Kopanang Africa Against Xenophobia movement on Monday, 21 March 2022, at the office of the Premier.
Website: www.willshir.com – 2022 ©️ Willshir & Associates
Willshir & Associates – Business Intelligence Program (JK)