- This event has passed.
WILLSHIR – SOUTH AFRICA – TIMELINE – 28 MAR 2022 (10H00)
SOUTH AFRICA – EASTERN CAPE – 28 MAR 2022
- EAST LONDON – 28 MAR 2022 (03H10) The Municipal Workers Union (SAMWU) has welcomed a recent decision by Water Minister Senzo Mchunu to dissolve the Amatola Water Board. This follows after the Board had been dissolved after investigations found the board members unfit to hold office. The investigations revealed unstable leadership, maladministration of funds, and delays in completing water-related projects, among others.
SOUTH AFRICA – FREE STATE – 28 MAR 2022
- SENEKAL – 28 MAR 2022 (07H50) Two suspects are expected to appear at the Senekal Magistrate’s Court today, 28 March 202, following their arrest by Police for attempting to hijack a fuel tanker on the N5, outside Paul Roux, at midnight on Thursday, 24 March 2022. They face charges of attempted truck hijacking and another charge related to being in possession of a radio reception blocking device.
SOUTH AFRICA – GAUTENG – 28 MAR 2022
- ALBERTON – 27 MAR 2022 (22H00) Unrest reported at the Zonkizizwe Police Station in Katlehong, Alberton. Reports indicate that several community members are attacking officers stationed at the Police station to demand the release of a recently detained suspect accused of being in possession of illegal firearms. Community members are demanding the immediate release of the suspect and have threatened to cause Unrest if the Police do not comply. Motorists and members of the public are advised to avoid the area. Public Order Police (POPS) and other units have been dispatched to the scene to provide assistance to officers.
- TSHWANE/PRETORIA – 28 MAR 2022 (05H00) Protest expected at the City of Tshwane Municipality today, 28 March 2022 in Pretoria Central from 10H00. Economic Freedom Fighters (EFF) supporters and City of Tshwane employees are expected to conduct a march from Princess Park to the City of Tshwane Municipality building on Bosman Street. The demonstration is being organised to demand the reinstatement and back pay of waste and capacity workers and insourcing of security guards and cleaners by the Municipality. Motorists are advised to remain vigilant when travelling in the affected areas during the march. Authorities are expected to be deployed to monitor the event.
- JOHANNESBURG – 28 MAR 2022 (06H20) Protest reported on the Heidelberg Road/M31 in City Deep. The demonstrators have barricaded the road with burning tyres and debris. Motorists are advised to avoid the area and use alternative routes. Police have been dispatched.
- ROODEPOORT – 28 MAR 2022 (09H35) Protest reported outside the Roodepoort Magistrate’s Court by members of the Operation Dudula movement ahead of Operation Dudula Leader Nhlanhla Lux Dlamini’s bail application. The demonstrators have barricaded the area. Motorists are advised to avoid the area and use alternative routes. Police are on the scene.
SOUTH AFRICA – KWAZULU-NATAL – 28 MAR 2022
- ULUNDI – 28 MAR 2022 (08H55) Protest expected today, 28 March 2022, at the Zululand District Municipality offices from 09H00. Community members are expected to gather at the Ulundi Old Parliament and march to the offices. The demonstrators are expected to protest to demand the Executive Mayor, Thulasizwe Buthelezi, to step down. The demonstrators are expected to deliver a memorandum of demand. Motorists are advised to avoid the area and use alternative routes. Police will be deployed to monitor the situation.
SOUTH AFRICA – LIMPOPO – 28 MAR 2022
- THOHOYANDOU – 28 MAR 2022 (08H40) The African National Congress Youth League (ANCYL) in the Vhembe region has expressed satisfaction that their members are united and concluded their conference without registering any disputes. The Youth League region is among those that convened over the weekend ahead of their provincial elective conference next month. The ANCYL in Vhembe has elected Tumelo Seleka as its Chairperson, Andisani Mathelemusa as the Deputy Chairperson, Galaba Mabasa as secretary. Luambo Lusani has been elected as deputy secretary, and Elelwani Lihaiwa is the new treasurer. Mabasa stated that they intend to expand to 30 000 regional members and are also looking forward to renewing the organisation’s culture at the branch level.
SOUTH AFRICA – MPUMALANGA – 28 MAR 2022
- LYDENBURG – 27 MAR 2022 (20H15) Service disruptions reported in several areas of Lydenburg. Residents have reported electricity supply interruptions following torrential rainfalls and hailstorms in the vicinity of Lydenburg and surrounding areas throughout Sunday, 27 March 2022. Emergency services are assessing the damage to the electrical infrastructure. The Thaba Chweu Local Municipality has activated restoration operations where possible. Relevant updates are expected to be released as the situation progresses.
SOUTH AFRICA – NORTH WEST – 28 MAR 2022
- POTCHEFSTROOM – 28 MAR 2022 (07H00) UPDATE Violent demonstrations reported on the Rysmierbult road N14 T-junction. Members of the public are advised to avoid the area. (06H45) Protest reported on the R501 in the Rysmierbult area. The demonstrators have barricaded the road with burning tyres and debris. Motorists are advised to avoid the area and use alternative routes. Police are on the scene.
SOUTH AFRICA – NORTHERN CAPE – 28 MAR 2022
- BELMONT – 27 MAR 2022 (22H15) Northern Cape Police have launched an investigation into a case of culpable homicide following a motor vehicle accident involving African National Congress (ANC) Member of Parliament (MP) Mxolisi Sokatsha on the N12, approximately 20 kilometres (km) from Belmont. Sokatsha, a former Member of the Executive Council (MEC) in four provincial departments, had been declared deceased on the scene. During the incident, one other person sustained fatal injuries, and four other people were transported to a hospital in Kimberley for medical treatment. Investigations into the circumstances surrounding the incident are underway.
SOUTH AFRICA – WESTERN CAPE – 28 MAR 2022
- CAPE TOWN – 28 MAR 2022 (06H30) UPDATE Police have advised motorists to avoid the Malibongwe Drive and the Du Noon area following protests in the area. The situation remains volatile. Police are monitoring the area. (22H20) Road closure reported on the M12 between Potsdam Road and Sandown Road, Du Noon. The road has been closed due to the ongoing protest action. Community members are protesting due to housing disputes. Demonstrators are reportedly throwing stones at vehicles. Motorists are advised to use alternative routes. (21H45) Protest reported on the M12/ Malibongwe Drive and Rivergate Drive in the vicinity of Cape Farms, Cape Town. Community members are barricading the roadway with burning tyres and debris. Motorists are advised to use alternative routes. Authorities are on the scene.
- CAPE TOWN – 28 MAR 2022 (09H10) Protest expected by the Democratic Alliance (DA) members on Wednesday, 30 March 2022, at the Parliament building from 11H15. The DA members are expected to protest in support of the motion of no confidence against Cabinet members. Motorists are advised to avoid the area and use alternative routes. Police will be deployed to monitor the area.
- CAPE TOWN – 28 MAR 2022 (09H30) Protest reported on Malibongwe Drive/M12. The demonstrators are marching towards Pioneer valley and Parklands. The demonstrators have barricaded the road with stones and debris. Motorists are advised to avoid the area and use alternative routes. Police have been dispatched.
UPCOMING EVENTS – 28 MAR 2022
- CULLINAN: The City of Tshwane announced a scheduled water interruption in Cullinan and Ga-Rankuwa on 29 March 2022 from 09H00 until 17H00.
- CAPE TOWN: President Cyril Ramaphosa is expected to face the first vote of no confidence on Wednesday, 30 March 2022.
- CAPE TOWN: Protest expected by the Democratic Alliance (DA) members on Wednesday, 30 March 2022, at the Parliament building from 11H15.
- TSHWANE/PRETORIA: Protest expected by the members of the Forgotten Nation on Wednesday, 06 April 2022 at the Department of Employment and Labour.
Website: www.willshir.com – 2022 ©️ Willshir & Associates
Willshir & Associates – Business Intelligence Program (LN)