- This event has passed.
WILLSHIR – SOUTH AFRICA – TIMELINE – 29 MAR 2022 (19H00)
SOUTH AFRICA – EASTERN CAPE – 29 MAR 2022
- PORT ELIZABETH / GQEBERHA – 29 MAR 2022 (16H50) Nelson Mandela Bay Municipality announced a power disruption due to an oil circuit breaker that tripped at the Mount Road Substation. Areas that are affected include Delta, Kempston Road, and the surrounding area. No timeframe has been given on when electricity will be restored.
SOUTH AFRICA – FREE STATE – 29 MAR 2022
- BLOEMFONTEIN – 29 MAR 2022 (10H10) The Free State Member of Executive Council (MEC) Mxolisi Dukwana for Cooperative Governance and Traditional Affairs (Cogta) is expected to deliver the budget speech today, 29 March 2022, at the Fourth Raadsaal in Bloemfontein. Dukwana is expected to present steps to address corruption, maladministration and fraud across municipalities. Dukwana will also allocate budgets to different programmes within the department, which are set to enhance service delivery to residents.
- KOFFIEFONTEIN – 29 MAR 2022 (11H15) Petra Diamonds is expected to retrench 150 employees at the Koffiefontein mine in the Free State region. The National Union of Mineworkers (NUM) in the region confirmed it received a restructuring and retrenchments notice from the Diamond mine. The mine has announced that it will restructure aimed at reducing net debt.
SOUTH AFRICA – GAUTENG – 29 MAR 2022
- PRETORIA/ TSHWANE – 29 MAR 2022 (06H30) The City of Tshwane has announced a scheduled water interruption in Cullinan and Ga-Rankuwa today, 29 March 2022, from 09H00 until 17H00. The time will be used to do maintenance at Cullinan Tower and Ga-Rankuwa East Reservoir. Areas that will be affected include Cullinan, Elandsfontein, Kafferskraal, Lewzene Easate, Louwsbaken, Ga-Rankuwa, Medunsa and Sjambok Kraal.
- JOHANNESBURG – 29 MAR 2022 (07H30) Gauteng Premier, David Makhura, is scheduled to officiate the National Council of Provinces (NCOP) week 2022 today, 29 March 2022, at 09H00. Makhura will thereafter proceed to conduct a site visit at a new housing development in the Country Gardens Estate, Mogale City. Following the site visit, Makhura is scheduled to meet with West Rand District and the Local Municipalities officials. On Wednesday, 30 March 2022, Makhura is expected to attend the Executive Council meeting.
- GA-RANKHUWA – 29 MAR 2022 (08H45) Robbery reported in Ga-Rankhuwa Zone 4. Suspects stole batteries from trucks that are being used in the stormwater project. The suspects bound the workers during the robbery. Police are on the scene investigating the matter.
- JOHANNESBURG – 29 MAR 2022 (11H45) UPDATE The EMS has cleared the underground tunnels. City Power technicians can proceed with repairs. (08H30) Road closure reported on Ntemi Piliso Street between Hall Street and Anderson Street. The road is closed due to the underground cable fire incident. Motorists are advised to use alternative routes. (08H00) City of Johannesburg Emergency Services (EMS) announced that the fire that erupted in an underground tunnel in the Johannesburg Central Business (CBD) on Monday, 28 March 2022, has been extinguished this Tuesday morning, 29 March 2022. The cause of the fire is unknown at this stage. The area will be inspected for air quality and structural integrity before City Power technicians can be allowed in. The fire affected the electricity supply to most of the Johannesburg CBD, Booysens, and Selby.
- JOHANNESBURG – 29 MAR 2022 (13H45) The Johannesburg Magistrate’s Court hearing against former South African Airways (SAA) Board Chairperson Dudu Myeni has been postponed to 04 May 2022. Myeni is facing charges for revealing the possible identity of a protected witness during her 2020 testimony at the State Capture Inquiry.
- AKASIA – 29 MAR 2022 (16H00) UPDATE Operation Dudula members are marching to Rossa complex on Doreen Avenue. Motorists are advised to use alternative routes. (15H30) Operation Dudula has given factories in Rosslyn 14 working days to respond to the memorandum of demands. (13H15) Demonstrators have delivered their second memorandum of demands at AFRIT Trailers. (12H25) Operation Dudula members have arrived outside Praga to submit the first memorandum of demands. (12H10) Operation Dudula members have begun marching to their first destination. A heightened Police presence is reported. (10H15) Operation Dudula members have started gathering at the Akasia Police Station in Rosslyn. Motorists are advised to be vigilant. (06H35) Protest expected by members of the Operation Dudula movement today, 29 March 2022. Demonstrators are expected to gather from 09H00 at the Akasia Police Station in Rosslyn and proceed to the Praga Technical, AFRIT Trailers and Rossa complex on Doreen Avenue. Participants are expected to deliver a Memorandum of Demands (MoD) against the companies’ employment of illegal foreign nationals. The march is expected to cause ground travel disruptions on several routes in the area, including Piet Rautenbach Street, Kotzenberg Street, and Rosslyn Road/ R566. Demonstrators are expected to disperse from AFRIT Rosslyn at 13H30. Tshwane Metro Police officers will be deployed to monitor the march and all affected streets. Motorists are advised to avoid affected roads and use alternative routes.
- KRUGERSDORP – 29 MAR 2022 (16H15) Police have arrested 27 employees at the Krugersdorp Home Affairs office. The employees are allegedly part of a syndicate that sell identification documents to foreign nationals for R40,000. Police responded to information received regarding the syndicate operations. The suspects are expected to appear in the Krugersdorp Magistrate Court soon.
- CENTURION – 29 MAR 2022 (16H50) Adverse weather reported by the South African Weather Services (SAWS). SAWS has announced a level 10 severe weather warning due to a Fire Danger Index (FDI) of above 75. Affected areas are expected to be Jamestown, Beaufort West, Burgergsdorp, Somerset East and others. SAWS has stated that fires are expected to develop and spread swiftly. Furthermore, Civilians are expected to follow the SAWS guidelines in the event of fires approaching their property. SAWS requested that civilians in the affected areas fill baths, buckets, and dust bins with water in case of water supply failures, wear protective clothing and footwear, have emergency food and medical supplies ready, move livestock to safer areas and other safety measures.
SOUTH AFRICA – KWAZULU-NATAL – 29 MAR 2022
- DURBAN – 29 MAR 2022 (06H40) A water outage is scheduled in Durban Central Business District (CBD) from 19H00 till 06H00 today, 29 March 2022. The time will be used to tie in a steel pipe into the existing line on the corner of Anton Lembede Street and Alexandra Street. As a result, the Motille Reservoir will be affected.
- DURBAN – 29 MAR 2022 (15H00) UPDATE Demonstrators are barricading the M21 at Zamambo Shopping Mall and the Circle at KwaMashu Christian Centre. Motorists are advised to avoid the area. (14H45) Protest reported in the vicinity of Princess Magoga Stadium in Ntzuma and Richmond Main Road in KwaMashu. Residents are protesting due to poor service delivery. Demonstrators are barricading several routes in the area. Motorists are advised to avoid the area. Police are on the scene.
- OPHONDWENI – 29 MAR 2022 (15H20) Protest reported on the N2 at the P465 intersection between Hluhluwe and Mtubtuba in Ophondweni. Demonstrators are barricading the roads with trees and debris. Motorists are advised to use alternative routes. Police are on the scene.
SOUTH AFRICA – LIMPOPO – 29 MAR 2022
- POLOKWANE/ PIETERSBURG – 29 MAR 2022 (08H20) The City of Polokwane announced that the Leeto La Polokwane bus operations remain suspended until further notice. The busses stopped operating following the taxi dispute between the Seshego Taxi Association and Mankweng Taxi Association in Polokwane on Friday, 25 March 2022. Intermodal Transport Acting Manager, David Ramakgwakgwa, stated that further communication will be announced to the public once the operation resume. This is despite the taxi associations that have resolved their dispute and are continuing services.
- POLOKWANE/ PIETERSBURG – 29 MAR 2022 (09H20) Protest reported at the Capricorn Technical and Vocational Education and Training (TVET) college on the Polokwane, Seshego, Senwabarwana and Ramokgopa campuses. Students are continuing with their campus shutdown. The students allege that the college is requesting them to submit supporting documents such as an affidavit and a signature of a parent on the declaration form before they can receive their National Student Financial Aid Scheme (NSFAS) allowances. Campus Management is working to address the students’ grievances.
- LEBOWAKGOMO – 29 MAR 2022 (10H45) Limpopo Health Member of Executive Council (MEC) Phophi Ramathuba is expected to deliver the Department’s budget vote at the Legislature Chambers in Lebowakgomo today, 29 March 2022. The National Education, Health and Allied Workers’ Union (NEHAWU) is expecting Ramathuba to address the permanent employment of health care workers who have been temporarily employed in response to the COVID-19 pandemic. NEHAWU is threatening to strike if the Department does not address their grievances.
SOUTH AFRICA – MPUMALANGA – 29 MAR 2022
- BALFOUR – 29 MAR 2022 (12H30) Dipaleseng Local Municipality announced a power outage taking place in Balfour Central Business District (CBD), Balfour north, Joe Slovo and Nkanini areas. This is a result of burned National Electrical Code (NEC) cables at the Sprice Well substation. The cable is in Eskom’s compartment, and they have been informed to repair the cables.
SOUTH AFRICA – NORTH WEST – 29 MAR 2022
- BRITS – 29 MAR 2022 (10H20) UPDATE Armed robbery reported on the N4 near the Brits Toll Plaza. A motorist was stopped by approximately 20 suspects and robbed of his possessions and firearm. The motorist is injured. Motorists are advised to use alternative routes. (08H40) Motorists are advised to be vigilant on the N4 between the Ga-Rankuwa bridge and Syno poultry farm bridge in Brits. Rocks have been placed on the roadway.
SOUTH AFRICA – NORTHERN CAPE – 29 MAR 2022
- KIMBERLEY – 29 MAR 2022 (06H50) Protest expected in Kimberley on Thursday, 31 March 2022, from 11H00. Provincial Secretary f the Economic Freedom Fighters (EFF), Shadrack Tlhaole, is expected to lead a march to the Witdam Police Station to open a case against Northern Cape Premier, Zamani Saul, regarding his Tanzania trip of perjury, fraud and corruption. Motorists are advised to use an alternative route for the duration of the demonstration. Police are expected to be deployed to the scene.
SOUTH AFRICA – WESTERN CAPE – 29 MAR 2022
- KNYSNA – 29 MAR 2022 (05H30) Peaceful protest expected at the Knysna Magistrates Court from 07H00 on Tuesday, 29 March 2022, by Green Connection. Members affiliated with Green Connection are expected to conduct a march against the inequity of fishing rights, offshore oil and gas exploration and ocean pollution. Demonstrators are expected to march from the Lamco Service Station, White Location Sports Field and Nekkies sports bar opposite Knoetzie Beach to the Knysna Magistrates Court. Motorists are advised that ground travel disruptions are expected during the demonstration. Police will be deployed at the scene to manage traffic movement.
- CAPE TOWN – 29 MAR 2022 (10H00) Road closure reported on the N1 at the Okavango Road intersection. The road is closed due to a motor vehicle accident. Motorists are advised to use alternative routes. Recovery is in progress.
- CAPE TOWN – 29 MAR 2022 (11H30) Shooting reported Owen Madikane Street in Eindhoven. A Bellville taxi operator has been shot and killed. Motorists are advised to use alternative routes. Emergency services have been dispatched to the scene.
- PAARL – 29 MAR 2022 (14H35) Road closure reported on the N1 inside the Huguenot Tunnel. This is due to a motor vehicle accident (MVA). Traffic is standing still in both directions. Motorists are advised to use alternative routes. Recovery is in progress.
- CAPE TOWN – 29 MAR 2022 (15H15) Routine electricity maintenance is scheduled from 08H30 till 18H00 today, 29 March 2022, until 31 March 2022. The affected areas for today include Elsenham, Pierneef, Heide, Montrose, Harrison in Somerset West and Durban. On Wednesday, 30 March 2022, the areas include George and surrounding areas in Strand. On Thursday, 31 March 2022, the areas include West Riding in Somerset West and Wesley, Tulbagh and surrounding areas in Strand.
UPCOMING EVENTS – 29 MAR 2022
- CAPE TOWN: President Cyril Ramaphosa is expected to face the first vote of no confidence on Wednesday, 30 March 2022.
- CAPE TOWN: Protest expected by the Democratic Alliance (DA) members on Wednesday, 30 March 2022, at the Parliament building from 11H15.
- KIMBERLEY: Protest expected in Kimberley on Thursday, 31 March 2022, from 11H00.
- TSHWANE/PRETORIA: Protest expected by the members of the Forgotten Nation on Wednesday, 06 April 2022, at the Department of Employment and Labour.
Website: www.willshir.com – 2022 ©️ Willshir & Associates
Willshir & Associates – Business Intelligence Program (JK)